• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tokyo Xanadu (JP) trailer is out

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sure the gameplay will be fun, but goddamn why does it have to be about idols? I absolutely can't stand idolism that caters to Otaku.

It is "about" idols? It has idols in it, but i'm pretty sure saying the whole game is about idols is very misleading. And yeah "lol anime tropes". Falcom has adopted anime tropes from every period they've been around. I think a lot of you guys should take a breather from Japanese stuff if it gets you so frustrated about how your tired of it.

That being said, this will be my first Xanadu. I wish it was natively for home console but i'll take what i can get. Atleast i have a Vita TV to play it. The combat looks nice and it looks to have a deep story i can get into.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm sure the gameplay will be fun, but goddamn why does it have to be about idols? I absolutely can't stand idolism that caters to Otaku.

Love it when we have people who freak the fuck out for no real reason. Or more like a stupid reason.

Its looking like one of the characters belongs to an idol group. Not the game is about idols. How that got into your head is beyond me.

It is "about" idols? It has idols in it, but i'm pretty sure saying the whole game is about idols is very misleading. And yeah "lol anime tropes". Falcom has adopted anime tropes from every period they've been around. I think a lot of you guys should take a breather from Japanese stuff if it gets you so frustrated about how your tired of it.

That being said, this will be my first Xanadu. I wish it was natively for home console but i'll take what i can get. Atleast i have a Vita TV to play it. The combat looks nice and it looks to have a deep story i can get into.

Love it when we have people who freak the fuck out for no real reason. Or more like a stupid reason.

Its looking like one of the characters belongs to an idol group. Not the game is about idols. How that got into your head is beyond me.

It's like people have some kind of PTSD with idols, seeing them everywhere... Though they probably never even touched a game that actually focuses on idols.

Dark_castle

Poor wording on my part. I don't mean the entire story revolves around the idol, but more like it has presence of idols in it, which is enough to turn me off partially.

Looked generic as hell. All I saw was idols, idols and more idols. And just obnoxious and annoying characters from your typical anime. Same reason I steer clear of Tales of and similar JRPG, this one is not for me. I'll always miss classic Falcom.

Did you even watch it at all or are you just parroting the complaint that others seem to have? Outside of the idol singing at the end (oh god there's singing in a Japanese game????), they literally only showed idols for 10secs. Not sure why anyone wouldn't expect "anime tropes" either, considering Falcom games have almost always been really anime.

I'm really hoping XSeed picks this up for a English release but they seem pretty loaded thru the end of the year so maybe in 2016 sometime.

There was no way in hell this was seeing the light of day over here in 2015. Xseed usually teases their game releases several months ahead of time and they haven't said anything about this yet. This is also sure to have quite a bit of text considering Falcom has been leaning further into Kiseki tier stories for years. Their action games can't just be action games anymore, at least not without trying to get you to care about the characters in the world (which isn't exactly a bad thing, just there is a point where it's too much for an action game).

Sinople

And yeah "lol anime tropes". Falcom has adopted anime tropes from every period they've been around. I think a lot of you guys should take a breather from Japanese stuff if it gets you so frustrated about how your tired of it.
That was a totally uncalled for reply.
More power to you if you like them.

-Oath

Couldnt even watch the whole trailer. If this is what Xanadu is now then Im not really interested. Ill just wait for more Ys.

Inuhanyou

...^ Which will probably have some of the same elements? I'm not sure exactly what is repelling to people in this trailer. 10 seconds of idol singing or all the great combat?

That was a totally uncalled for reply.
More power to you if you like them.

For what its worth, you weren't the only one i was replying to, as a few other posters made the same or similar comments

I'm not sure exactly what is repelling to people in this trailer. 10 seconds of idol singing or all the great combat?

My guess is that people still expected it to be a point and click game after 10 years and didn't expect any major changes. Falcom has changed A LOT in the past 10 years people, all their games will be loaded with story, filled with tropes and likely have significant changes to the combat systems.

As for the "anime tropes" complaint, honestly not sure what anyone was expecting when the game is set in a current world Tokyo....I mean come on.

Gbraga

Wow, I LOVE it!

The combat looks really damn fun, a PS4 version would be ideal so we don't have to worry about framerate drops, but I'll take it on Vita too, Xseed pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

PLEASE

Maedhros

The only thing I don't like in this trailer is the "badass silent Asuna-like girl" stereotype. Fucking seriously?

Other than that, I think it'll great! I never really disliked a Falcom game before.

Puru

I hope they will do the same for the character swap in the next Ys, only one character out at a time.

If one is not into anime aesthetic, I can see how someone would not like this.

It looks like many other animes out there.

But then why even come into a thread titled Tokyo Xanadu?

This game, visually, looks fantastic. From an alternate dimension where Vita is still worthy of decent production budgets. I hope it makes it overseas.

Puru

The only video we've been shown for Ys 8 so far is of a 3 person party, like in 4/7.

I know, i only hope they changed their minds as i always felt a character swap like in Xanadu would have made much more sense (outside of looking stupid since they come from nowhere).

Looks nice and the music was great, I'm hopeful for a localization. Also this may surprise people, but I actually LIKE anime. It sucks that Falcom is making games for people like me apparently.

Inuhanyou

This game, visually, looks fantastic. From an alternate dimension where Vita is still worthy of decent production budgets. I hope it makes it overseas.

Basically. If people are so tired of anime, and anime-like aesthetics popular in anime, don't come to games that have that and complain. Those of us who like these games are tired of listening to it

Maedhros

I know, i only hope they changed their minds as i always felt a character swap like in Xanadu would have made much more sense (outside of looking stupid since they come from nowhere).

Not really stupid, it's still a videogame.

Gbraga

What is the setting for this? Is the incident in 2005 also in Tokyo, and 2015 is a quickly rebuilt Tokyo, or was that incident more contained in a district that's still under quarantine or whatever? Do "regular people" have knowledge about what happened?

UCBooties

Wow, combat looks really fun and I'm pretty much always on board for the anime aesthetic. I guess I'll cross my fingers for a Western Release or an East Asian release with English subtitles. Also it looks really good for a Vita game! Japanese developers just keep delivering.

Shengar

I thinl it's a japanese thing... I guess their base of fans like these repeated tropes...
Did you just playing along or do you not realizing that ATXAlchemy make the fool out of you on that post?
Hint: TiTS came much earlier than SAO.

And Asuna being strong silent character? lol
Looks nice and the music was great, I'm hopeful for a localization. Also this may surprise people, but I actually LIKE anime. It sucks that Falcom is making games for people like me apparently.

If Neogaf was there during the original release of TiTS in 2000's, we will hear the same fucking thing.
God forbid Falcom to make a game with contemporary (anime) aesthetic.

Sinople

Because it has Xanadu in its name and Next was a really great game.

Basically. If people are so tired of anime, and anime-like aesthetics popular in anime, don't come to games that have that and complain. Those of us who like these games are tired of listening to it
Okay, I know you're not targeting me in particular but I'm included so I'll just explain myself then leave.
I came here because I was intrigued by the game and waiting for a trailer (it's the first real one if I'm not mistaken). I'm not against the anime/manga aesthetics in general (see my avatar) but I have a strong dislike for a certain number of tropes that I feel are overused nowadays and felt disappointed this game seems to be heavy on them.
I never intended to annoy anyone and was just stating my opinion.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
/throws money at XSEED

Though, seriously the game looks to be a ton of fun. Love me a good ARPG.

Barf. Looks like hot anime trash with a Falcom action game.

As somebody that has played Xanadu Next almost annually since 2005, this is soul-crushingly disappointing.

They might as well have called it Xanadu no Kiseki.

Idol crap too? Kill it with fire.

Prelude.

Barf. Looks like hot anime trash with a Falcom action game.

As somebody that has played Xanadu Next almost annually since 2005, this is soul-crushingly disappointing.

They might as well have called it Xanadu no Kiseki.

Idol crap too? Kill it with fire.

Surprise, it's 2015 and it's not called Xanadu Next.

Pejo

Combat looks fun, I just cut ahead in the trailer to the gameplay part. Will watch the full video later after work.

MrDoctor

Yikes at those animations! Game looks nice other than that. I need the OST whenever available; Falcom delivers once again.

1:01 - girl trips
c'mon falcom
I hate that character so much. My ears are already bleeding from her voice.

Inuhanyou

Okay, I know you're not targeting me in particular but I'm included so I'll just explain myself then leave.
I came here because I was intrigued by the game and waiting for a trailer (it's the first real one if I'm not mistaken). I'm not against the anime/manga aesthetics in general (see my avatar) but I have a strong dislike for a certain number of tropes that I feel are overused nowadays and felt disappointed this game seems to be heavy on them.
I never intended to annoy anyone and was just stating my opinion.

That's an understandable position, but it also speaks to the fact that Falcom is not the same company now that they were when they released their old games dating back 10 or 20 more years.

They have evolved, and that direction is here to stay

Prelude.

So if they made a new Neptunia (or whatever it is you like) ten years after the last one and it was a historical war simulator, you wouldn't air some grievances about it?
Unless I'd have somehow missed 10 years of Neptuniaga's Ambition releases by Idea Factory, I probably wouldn't be too surprised.

So if they made a new Neptunia (or whatever it is you like) ten years after the last one and it was a historical war simulator, you wouldn't air some grievances about it?

I'd play it because I have varied tastes and don't judge games superficially

It sounds like an awesome idea

There are also ways to "air grievances" that don't involve calling things "trash" and "crap"

Neptuniaga's Ambition

This needs to happen

Top Bottom