• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tokyo Xanadu (JP) trailer is out

Zhao_Yun

I am surprised that so many people are surprised by the setting and characters in this game. Sure there hasn't been much trailer material until now, but looking at all the scans and infos from the recent months, people should have gotten a good picture of how this game looks. The involvement of an idol group was announced 2 months ago for example.

18-Volt

Barf. Looks like hot anime trash with a Falcom action game.

As somebody that has played Xanadu Next almost annually since 2005, this is soul-crushingly disappointing.

They might as well have called it Xanadu no Kiseki.

Idol crap too? Kill it with fire.

They're going after dat Persona money, you can't blame them. We got Persona 4, which also had idols and stuff, two decades after original hell & demons themed classic SMT games.

Maedhros

Did you just playing along or do you not realizing that ATXAlchemy make the fool out of you on that post?
Hint: TiTS came much earlier than SAO.

And Asuna being strong silent character? lol

She is, though.

And I don't really care if SAO came before, I'm talking about the trope/stereotype of the character, not the design.

Surprised that only now people are complaining about idols. Screens of everything shown in the trailer have already been released. I think the only thing new is everything being show in a coherent order and then having new gameplay footage on top of it.

But before this thread becomes an unreadable mess because some people don't like Japanese tropes, I'll just say I'm hyped for it and quietly leave until the import thread hits.

Trailer made this look like a super generic persona action game. Falcom always has had some of the most anime inspired games but tbh this does look like shallow crap to me too. Just uninspired, and i love Persona.

Hopefully the gameplay is good and they just showed the worst parts. I probably wont play it even though I loved Xanadu Next and Falcom action RPGs.

Mik317

Looks neat.

Don't want to continue the derail but yeah having not known a damn about this game prior to this thread...the idol stuff really came outta nowhere lol. It doesn't even look like it fits in other than..yolo here is some idol stuff because (again I know nothing about the game so I can be wrong).

still not going to judge the whole game off of that as it does look like something I'd be into idol stuff aside but whoa that kinda just came outta nowhere.

Falcom always has had some of the most anime inspired games
Huh? Up until Kiseki most of their games have been mild in that regard (and even those weren't too awful until Sen). Anime flavored? Sure. Straight-up fad pandering? I have a hard time seeing it. Popful Mail might be the one exception (and maybe Legend of Xanadu, but I have shamefully not played it).

Producer

It looks good. I already accepted that its no sequel to Next, but the combat and OST are looking real good right now. Cant wait to play it.

Takao

Banned
Isn't this game made solely by the younger staff at Falcom? Why is it any surprise that it revels in today's anime tropes?

Aeana

Isn't this game made solely by the younger staff at Falcom? Why is it any surprise that it revels in today's anime tropes?
The backlash is mainly because they're using the Xanadu name for this. I understand the name doesn't mean anything to most people in this thread, but it's a long running series with a history that isn't anything like this.

I dunno, expectations that perhaps they're perhaps eccentric and not part of the current pop/anime culture of modern Japan?

Personally, I actually really like the direction of Tokyo Xanadu. Sure, it's anime-as-hell, but honestly, the number of 'anime RPGs' that actually have some love and good production values put into them are honestly, not very many at all. As an anime fan, there's plenty of shovelware out there.

Though honestly, it should've been a new IP. It's starkly different from the old Xanadu as it is.

The backlash is mainly because they're using the Xanadu name for this. I understand the name doesn't mean anything to most people in this thread, but it's a long running series with a history that isn't anything like this.

I can see how that's annoying, I "know" the history about the Xanadu games but the only one I have played is Xanadu Next.

I want more games like Xanadu Next.

Shengar

Asuna is not a silent character, she is distinctively not silent.

And she is definitely not strong either, a good example of faux strong woman character.
Saying a sword wielding brunette with long hair is as stupid as saying every blond guy with sword is Gilgamesh clone.
Because it has Xanadu in its name and Next was a really great game.

Okay, I know you're not targeting me in particular but I'm included so I'll just explain myself then leave.
I came here because I was intrigued by the game and waiting for a trailer (it's the first real one if I'm not mistaken). I'm not against the anime/manga aesthetics in general (see my avatar) but I have a strong dislike for a certain number of tropes that I feel are overused nowadays and felt disappointed this game seems to be heavy on them.
I never intended to annoy anyone and was just stating my opinion.
You know that tropes is just a tool and all that matter is the execution?

Tabris

I confused the title for a moment and thought it would be related to this:

2361717-nes_faxanadu.jpg

Producer

I can see how that's annoying, I "know" the history but all I have played is Xanadu Next.

I want more games like Xanadu Next.

Xanadu Next was so good and pretty damn unique. Still havent played nothing quite like it. So yeah its definately disappointing that TX didnt follow in its footsteps.

At least its coming to Steam in the future.

Shizuka

Just like #FE Revelations? People were upset, but I still don't think it's that bad of a deal, specially here where the Xanadu name wasn't used for years and years.

Producer

IT IS? Daaaaayum

Is there any confirmation? But considering this game made after Falcom acknowledgement of their games sales on Stem, I wouldn't be surprised if they prepare it for a PC port in the future.

To be clear, i'm talking about Xanadu Next. It got leaked with the domain names along with Corpse Party Blood Drive, Trails of Cold Steel and other xseed titles.

Takao

Banned

It does make you wonder why they went the route of IP revival and not just going with something new. It's not like Xanadu was some huge franchise that went through a dry spell.

It does make you wonder why they went the route of IP revival and not just going with something new. It's not like Xanadu was some huge franchise that went through a dry spell.
Xanadu is still the best selling PC game of all time in Japan.

The name means something.

Well, it used to.

90% of the backlash comes from people wanting to be outraged and concerned about yet another (Vita) (Anime) (JRPG) game that contains cute girls and puts them in suggestive situations.

Reminds me of the controversy around Mortal Kombat and Night Trap in the 90's.

Barf. Looks like hot anime trash with a Falcom action game.

As somebody that has played Xanadu Next almost annually since 2005, this is soul-crushingly disappointing.

They might as well have called it Xanadu no Kiseki.

Idol crap too? Kill it with fire.

Hot anime trash? Idol crap? Sounds like you have got a bone to pick. Meanwhile your avatar reeks of double standards, though I suppose she isn't a 900 year old dragon.

Aeana

90% of the backlash comes from people wanting to be outraged and concerned about yet another (Vita) (Anime) (JRPG) game that contains cute girls and puts them in suggestive situations.

Okay, thanks for telling me how I really feel. Anything else I'm lying to myself about?

Nice agenda.

Most of the criticism in this thread is paired up with some form "I played Xanadu Next."

The ones that don't are probably just tired of this generic theme/setting.

Please though, point out the 90% that were outraged because of cute girls.

Okay, thanks for telling me how I really feel. Anything else I'm lying to myself about?

I wasnt referring to you or pitting words in your mouth, I was responding to you about the reception this trailer is getting here.

This game has a modern setting, obviously they want to go for the Persona crowd. It would be hard for me to imagine them doing so without girls in school uniforms and the shocking appearance of an idol sequence.

Producer

Hot anime trash? Idol crap? Sounds like you have got a bone to pick. Meanwhile your avatar reeks of double standards, though I suppose she isn't a 900 year old dragon.

Stop with the vita persecution nonsense. Alot of people posting in this thread are Xanadu fans. Its easy where the disappointment in this title comes from.

Takao

Banned
Xanadu is still the best selling PC game of all time in Japan.

The name means something.

Well, it used to.

Looking it up I see this year marks the 30th anniversary of that original game and 10 years since the last. I guess the revival makes sense, though maybe not in this form.

Shengar

Actually I noticed more people complaining about the 10 seconds of idol imagery than the new action RPG system.
There's a proverb in my country that basically mean "A single flaw makes the whole bad". I guess it's applicable everywhere.

“hot anime trash". I guess there isn't a discussion to be had in any small/medium tier japanese game anymore.

Sitrus

Does anyone know how the Japanese reception for this game is? Is there any noticable outrage from old Xanadu fans?

It's pretty hyped on 2ch and on several forums. When discussing about the link to the Xanadu series comes up, they are just citing Falcom themselves: That all games from the Xanadu series is the culmination of all they have learned by making games for that time period, which for this title means the newer Kiseki and Ys titles. Xanadu Next was made for their last period, Ys6, Trails6 etc.

It's kind of sad that the only discussion of this game here is about tropes and idols, not about the game itself. That's Neogaf for you.

Top Bottom