• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for The Creator - Gareth Edwards upcoming original sci-fi movie

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good trailer, visually outstanding but I feel like the music and sound design does nothing for it; its just so cliche.

I swear I feel like the thing that's been lost most in recent mainstream cinema is the use of music as a counterpoint to the action on-screen. These days its all so fucking basic route #1, thudding percussion to underscore every visual beat, snippets of reverby vocal as a substitute for emotion...

Maybe its just "old man yelling at cloud"-scenario, but I really think that these bland choices are really letting everything else down. Great movies of the past had great scores, often in styles that seemed left-field compared to the action, these days it feels that mostly (and almost universally in trailers) we get the same shit over and over again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
In fairness he had almost nothing to work with in that movie. His character is so one-dimensional he didn't even get a name. He's literally "the protagonist" in the credits.
Agreed, that TENET casting MUST have been nepotism. So this is his real trial by fire as a leading man as it seems like he will be required to deliver some emotional goods.

I am worried that the main plot of this film is gonna be the tired "humans are the real enemy" and it has just the visuals and action to carry it, but hopefully there will be some cerebral aspects to it.

I do find it interesting that we have competing "A.I. is bad" and "A.I. is cute and sympathetic" films this summer, it's like we are watching skynet trying to manipulate us and the resistance striking back with big budget blockbusters instead of nukes :p

SJRB

Gold Member
Agreed, that TENET casting MUST have been nepotism. So this is his real trial by fire as a leading man as it seems like he will be required to deliver some emotional goods.

I am worried that the main plot of this film is gonna be the tired "humans are the real enemy" and it has just the visuals and action to carry it, but hopefully there will be some cerebral aspects to it.

I do find it interesting that we have competing "A.I. is bad" and "A.I. is cute and sympathetic" films this summer, it's like we are watching skynet trying to manipulate us and the resistance striking back with big budget blockbusters instead of nukes :p

Ever since I watched Her and heard that AI talk in the voice of Scarlett Johansson I welcome out machine overlords.

Talk smart to me, you sexy operating system you.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

So you don't recognize him from Black KKKlansman?

SJRB

Gold Member
the-creator-movie.gif

This movie is available digitally today.

Best sci-fi movie of the year? Probably.

Just finished watching

Like World Building, Soundtrack and Special Effects

But the rest nah. It wasn't engaging at all. Denzel Washington son can't act. I watched The Equalizer 3 today too before I watched this and Denzel killed it.

I do love the look of the technology, etc especially

This was a C Grade from me

SJRB

Gold Member
Watching it now, first 30 minutes is the most cliché-riddled nonsense I've seen in years. It looks cool as shit with beautifully composed shots, but literally everything else is terrible. The moment to moment scenes make no sense, the ridiculously one-dimensional characters, the portrayal of America, the insane superweapon, the retarded love story. Man I don't give two fucks about your wife or your kid, chief.

And man, John David Washington fucking sucks. He sucked ass in Tenet, and he sucks ass here. Black hole of emotions, zero on-screen presence, zero likeability. Get this guy outta Hollywood.

Edit: the special forces guy just tried to choke out a robot, lmao.
Edit 2: this movie is literally a bunch of random scenes stitched together. Incoherent mess.
Edit 3: someone asks an 8-year-old what she wants from the kitchen, the kid says "I want for robots to be free", lmao
Edit 4: a robot, a literal robot, just tried to warm its hands near a fire. A bit earlier a robot sighed of relief. A robot. Sighed. It took a deep breath and sighed. Robots are people when the movie wants them to be, it seems.

Last edited:

thefool

John David Washington has no right to be an actor really. Literally works because of his daddy, a pathetic existence.
Even tho me complaining about it online is not better.

Last edited:

Billbofet

John David Washington has no right to be an actor really. Literally works because of his daddy, a pathetic existence.
Even tho me complaining about it online is not better.
I totally agree. He is awful in everything I have seen him in.
As cliched and odd as some of the choices in this movie are, his performance is, hands down, the worst thing about it all.
His acting rips me out of almost every scene he is in.

Best sci-fi movie of the year? Probably.

Watching it now, first 30 minutes is the most cliché-riddled nonsense I've seen in years. It looks cool as shit with beautifully composed shots, but literally everything else is terrible. The moment to moment scenes make no sense, the ridiculously one-dimensional characters, the portrayal of America, the insane superweapon, the retarded love story. Man I don't give two fucks about your wife or your kid, chief.

And man, John David Washington fucking sucks. He sucked ass in Tenet, and he sucks ass here. Black hole of emotions, zero on-screen presence, zero likeability. Get this guy outta Hollywood.

Edit: the special forces guy just tried to choke out a robot, lmao.
Edit 2: this movie is literally a bunch of random scenes stitched together. Incoherent mess.
Edit 3: someone asks an 8-year-old what she wants from the kitchen, the kid says "I want for robots to be free", lmao
Edit 4: a robot, a literal robot, just tried to warm its hands near a fire. A bit earlier a robot sighed of relief. A robot. Sighed. It took a deep breath and sighed. Robots are people when the movie wants them to be, it seems.
ron burgundy GIF

Movie looks great but that's about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this was the worst movie I've seen in ages. I can't believe how shit this was. Gareth Edwards doing a hardcore sci-fi movie about AI, robots, the line between AI and humanity. What could possibly go wrong?

Well as it turns out, aside from the visuals literally everything. The story sucks, there's no tension, the characters suck, there are a TON of super weird character moments, Washington is just awful, his line delivery is a disaster. Ken Watanabe tries his best but he has nothing to work with. So many plot points that go nowhere or don't get resolved. It's insane how many people the protagonist got killed. More than half the movie is "go somewhere, get some peace and quiet, get ambushed, everyone dies, they escape" rinse and repeat.

That finale was just... What the fuck, man. Script written by a 12-year-old? So much random nonsense.

On a philosophical level the movie tries to be smart but in reality is just ultra retarded. Even 2017's Ghost in the Shell brings up more questions about AI and what it means to be human. I'm still in shock at how bad this was, lol.

Garbage/10

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man this was the worst movie I've seen in ages. I can't believe how shit this was. Gareth Edwards doing a hardcore sci-fi movie about AI, robots, the line between AI and humanity. What could possibly go wrong?

Well as it turns out, aside from the visuals literally everything. The story sucks, there's no tension, the characters suck, there are a TON of super weird character moments, Washington is just awful, his line delivery is a disaster. Ken Watanabe tries his best but he has nothing to work with. So many plot points that go nowhere or don't get resolved. It's insane how many people the protagonist got killed. More than half the movie is "go somewhere, get some peace and quiet, get ambushed, everyone dies, they escape" rinse and repeat.

That finale was just... What the fuck, man. Script written by a 12-year-old? So much random nonsense.

On a philosophical level the movie tries to be smart but in reality is just ultra retarded. Even 2017's Ghost in the Shell brings up more questions about AI and what it means to be human. I'm still in shock at how bad this was, lol.

Garbage/10
Shit. Maybe I shouldnt watch it at all. The trailer looks so awesome.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah have to agree with other coments here, it was pretty bad.

Boring cliche plot with nothing to add to the same old "what if robots had feelings" concept except for some horrible wiriting and hilariously dumb scenes. Most of the acting was really bad too, the main dude in particular sucks and somehow the kid ends up delivering some of the only decent acting.

The visuals and overall art direction were nice though. Really makes you wonder WTF everyone else is doing when you can make something like this on an 80 mill budget.
That said, it was incredibly grainy. It's like they cranked the film grain up to 11 for some reason

Jenov

Watched this tonight. Other than the special effects/CG, it was pretty bad and generic. And I tend to like even bad sci fi, so that says a lot.

Top Bottom