• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "The Creator" - an original sci-fi film

AJUMP23

Gold Member
"Humans are the bad guys...." oh fucking christ, THAT story AGAIN? I still wanna see it but robots imitating "the best parts" of humans whilst humans revel in their worst aspects in contrived scenarios is sooooo played out. I feel like we already being conditioned by Skynet to be "AI submissive" after DECADES of "AI=bad" programming :p
That is always the issue. MANKIND!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
so like, is this movie good? I know this is that normal/cliche story but I am in the mood to go see something at the theaters and this is the only thing that appeals to me directly
The special effects and the world they crafted are amazing and the reason to go see it. The story is fine and sometimes just outright stupid at parts. I enjoyed it but don't plan on doing any repeat viewings.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm seeing it tomorrow. My initial enthusiasm has waned a bit since it seems like the trailer indeed spoiled most of the story, but it still looks fun.

It's gonna tank though, theaters around me had LOTS of seats available.

Toons

Really enjoyed this one. It has one too many endings but the visuals and atmosphere had a lot of thought into it.

sound design is incredible.

Seeing it a second time tonight

jason10mm

Gold Member
So it's visually quite nice but WOW was this a "stick every Masamune Shirow trope we got and FULL STEAM AHEAD!" kinda joint. Woulda worked better as a samurai techno anime, I think. Still, the kid was great (was that a she and how do they know?) and the effects were awesome. Denzels kid is better than he was in TENET, but despite sounding a lot like his dad, he just ain't the guy for these roles. He is too deadpan and low energy, when paired with low energy, too serious, effects heavy scripts/directors he just doesn't cut it IMHO.

With the flood of ads on Reddit attempting to look like user posts, along the banner ads, I had written whatever bullshit this is off. You vouchig that its actually watchable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ill watch this movie one day. I dont expect any sci-fi movie to have great plots, but the trailers for this movie look awesome and gritty.

I'm going to assume this movie is serious and gritty? (It's not like a SW trailer which can be pretty cool and serious, but the real movie has tons of jokes)

Dr_Salt

Ill watch this movie one day. I dont expect any sci-fi movie to have great plots, but the trailers for this movie look awesome and gritty.

I'm going to assume this movie is serious and gritty? (It's not like a SW trailer which can be pretty cool and serious, but the real movie has tons of jokes)
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

jason10mm

Gold Member

It's super serious, maybe 3-4 jokes in the whole thing. Almost too serious, IMHO, almost every real classic sci-fi flick has some wry humor (thinking Total Recall, Starship Troopers) or a bit of cheese (Demolition Man. Flash Gordon). Hitting that earnest but whimsical Star Wars or Star Trek vibe is tricky.

I feel like The Creator doesn't dwell on any one theme long enough to be profound, and it isn't "fun" enough for casual watching. It's worth watching but isn't gonna linger in the zeitgeist like a District 9, I think.

Loved this movie overall! One of the best looking sci fi films in a long while. Some amazing looking sets, can’t believe they were able to do this on that budget. Looks better than most marvel movies. Great concept and solid story, I appreciate an original sci fi movie like this. I also geek out on blade runner/westworld type concepts and this movie delivers.

Unfortunate doesn’t seem like this movie will do well at box office. I certainly will watch it at least once more and buy the 4K when it releases. Gareth Edwards has yet make a bad movie and I’m looking forward to his next project.

-Minsc-

Saw the poster for this at the theatre and it made me think it was a movie set in the Star Wars universe. I have yet to watch the trailer and this sounds like a good thing. Might watch it down the road when it streams.

skneogaf

Just finished watching it, the cinema was completely empty 😢

The movie is excellent and is exactly what I like in science fiction, my only complaint is the clarity of the image as it looks more like 1080p than the 4k the particular screen I watched it in provides. The dolby atmos was pretty good though.

I honestly have no idea how cinemas will be saved at this point as humans are staying in their caves more and more, it's literally workplace and home that's it. Sad times

Last edited:
This is the second time I've seen John Washington in a movie, and this is the second time I've asked myself "why and how did this guy get the leading role?" His acting is genuinely distracting, and I just don't understand how this dude gets leading roles. There's a scene early in this movie that had me actually wince in pain because of how emotionless his line delivery was.

As for the movie itself, it looks excellent and is competently directed... but the script is a mixed bag of interesting concepts and just plain stupidity. This is not smart sci-fi like Blade Runner or Dune, this is Disney-esque sci-fi, as I was often reminded of Disney's Star Wars while watching this because I was constantly questioning nonsense in the screenplay.

5/10

Had a blast in IMAX. Beautiful visuals, great soundtrack and lots of interesting ideas brought to life. The kid especially did a fantastic job, and at least for me I was emotionally invested by the end.

The script could have used some work, as some of the dialog was a bit clunky, and as I understand it they cut out over 2 hours of the film, so it feels a bit all over the place sometimes, but overall I really enjoyed it.

8/10

Toons

The world building was really good. The environments here felt lived in and you got the feel there were a lot of stories in this world waiting to be told.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Had a blast in IMAX. Beautiful visuals, great soundtrack and lots of interesting ideas brought to life. The kid especially did a fantastic job, and at least for me I was emotionally invested by the end.

The script could have used some work, as some of the dialog was a bit clunky, and as I understand it they cut out over 2 hours of the film, so it feels a bit all over the place sometimes, but overall I really enjoyed it.

8/10
Huh, now I'm curious if an extended cut could
explain why NOMAD was full of android bodies of Mia/Nimrads, how that human consciousness to android body transfer works, why some AI look like robots and others look like 'donated'(?) humans and why they picked those faces specifically, why androids eat, how an android can "grow" physically and why this would be something they even care about, the whole deal with the "that nuke in LA was a human error they blamed us for" throwaway line for THE ENTIRE PLOT, why they needed NOMAD in the first place when they seemed to have total air/land/sea superiority over New Asia already, what happened to cruise missiles/ICBMs that led to the over-reliance on NOMAD launched missiles, what Alphas EMP like powers were and how they were intrinsically linked to her, how Mia was able to transfer her fetus' consciousness into Alpha and then go into a 5 year coma (or did she do that BEFORE the beach attack?)

Anyway, I gots some questions :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will be disappointed if the ending is anything but the AI having used the form of a little girl to be perceived as innocent and manipulate him into protecting it and inadvertently helping destroy humanity.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I will be disappointed if the ending is anything but the AI having used the form of a little girl to be perceived as innocent and manipulate him into protecting it and inadvertently helping destroy humanity.
wrong film :p

Q6WsX9z.jpg

although god damn if they had made Alpha do her hands like this in a post-credits scene I would have LOST MY SHIT!
ma9pYA0.jpg

from the classic 80's flick "Deadly Friend".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm. Left cold by this one. Undercooked worldbuilding leads to a lot of dumb and nonsensical moments. Failure to connect with the story and characters. Narrative has no drive. JDW wasn’t a great fit either.

Beautiful visuals and not bad but could’ve been so much more.

Dr_Salt

Hmm. Left cold by this one. Undercooked worldbuilding leads to a lot of dumb and nonsensical moments. Failure to connect with the story and characters. Narrative has no drive. JDW wasn’t a great fit either.

The acting left alot to be desired tbh. The casting was not good on this one.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I thought this movie was a piece of shit.
I think it was a beautifully shot movie. And the concept could have been good. But the lead actor was weak, the script was nonsensical, repetitive and overly convenient.

I also think it's propaganda. The subtext (which is hard to call it that since it's basically just text), is that Western Imperialism is bad and reactionary and needs to be replaced by Asian culture, which is apparently a lot more tolerant and accepting than Western Countries, as the hegemonic power, which is the future of our species.

It's basically this century's Birth of a Nation

Alcibiades

Saw it a few hours ago at the Bob Bullock IMAX in Austin. I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and after overdosing on sequels all summer and Star Wars Disney+ shows the last few weeks, the movie was a nice break from all that. Another poster mentioned it didn't have a lot of humor, I hadn't reflected on that until now but I guess I sort of liked that about this movie. I'm a bit tired of characters cracking jokes while in mortal danger or after the death of someone important. Been watching Ms. Marvel and Ashoka and it's annoying even though I've generally liked those shows.

The Creator did have it's problems, mostly the last 30 minutes things kinda go off-the-rails, but the world building was great and I think it could have used even more. There is a theme of USA being bad while Asia is good, sort of implying that the spiritual nature of the people in the region are more enlightened than the West. We've seen similar themes countless times, I think they could have explored this with a bit more complexity.

Throughout the movie I was waiting for the screen ratio to expand to 1.90:1 but never noticed it and thought maybe I missed it. Surprisingly it was shot with cheap cameras and used a 2.76:1 aspect ratio - so it looks like I didn't miss it and was done this way on purpose. Still glad I saw it in IMAX cause the visuals were great.

mclaren777

I absolutely loved this movie! So much so that I just cut my own trailer to share on social media.

I really hope this does well in the box office because I want Hollywood to take more chances on projects like this.

Ironbunny

Interesting that people are aploding the visuals. Just saw that it was filmed with a 4000$ Sony camera to save cost and to have the capability to do certain kind of shots. Sounds like the bet was worth it.

This movie was just ok, I expected more. The sense of style, the world and things like that looked fantastic, but the story was flat and told in a way that will make you want to kill yourself. The lackluster action scenes left me wanting more.

I'll tell you what though, if you like count down timers and beeping, this is the film for you.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Terrible movie. Feels like the script was written by an AI that had trouble making something believable.

Main character spends the whole movie looking for a woman he loves, finds her on life support and some random monk he never met before says she is beyond help, better turn her off, and he gives it no thought, doesn’t try to do anything, no looking for second opinion, no asking a doctor, no kiss on the forehead, no trying to talk to her… he just pulls the plug. What?! And from their side, they had this woman who is very important to them on life support for 5 years, but they will let this stranger walk in and switch her off just like that? This makes sense to anyone?

Sorry, there was no intelligence there, just artificial.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Terrible movie. Feels like the script was written by an AI that had trouble making something believable.

Main character spends the whole movie looking for a woman he loves, finds her on life support and some random monk he never met before says she is beyond help, better turn her off, and he gives it no thought, doesn’t try to do anything, no looking for second opinion, no asking a doctor, no kiss on the forehead, no trying to talk to her… he just pulls the plug. What?! And from their side, they had this woman who is very important to them on life support for 5 years, but they will let this stranger walk in and switch her off just like that? This makes sense to anyone?

Sorry it wasnt a sappy love story with the ending you wanted. F that pull that plug.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

If she were braindead they wouldn’t be able to record her consciousness with the chip, too.

It’s not an intelligent screenplay at all.

It feels a lot to me like Jupiter Ascending. An massive Sci Fi movie not based on any franchise, made by a director cashing in their credits for a passion project, amazing visuals, lots of interesting ideas, a terrible lead and a plot that makes no sense.

I hope my ticket helps make this a little bit successfull so movies like this keep getting made. Taking big swings can fail or hit but you've got to keep trying.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sci-fi is hard. Very few writers can actually tackle it well.

What ISN'T hard is to write a story where a guy gets redemption for his nation's sins by getting to go to heaven and see his wife again before falling to earth like Icarus, then hire a bunch of very talented effects guys to slap a bunch of techno paint on it.

I get the vibe Edward's was going for, but his hyper realistic and grounded style wasn't right for it IMHO. He needed something more Lynchian or Aronofski-esque, even the hyped up 5th element type energy.

But give Edward's a straight GITS stand alone complex script with the puppetmaster or whatever and I think he's the guy

wipeout364

The acting left alot to be desired tbh. The casting was not good on this one.

So disappointing to hear these impressions, I was going to go this weekend and take the kids. I really liked Rogue One and the trailers looked great for this. I am a huge sci fi fan so am always hopeful for an ass kicking sci fi movie. Now I am not sure if I will go, as taking the kids to the movies these days is not cheap with the current price of popcorn.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
K
So disappointing to hear these impressions, I was going to go this weekend and take the kids. I really liked Rogue One and the trailers looked great for this. I am a huge sci fi fan so am always hopeful for an ass kicking sci fi movie. Now I am not sure if I will go, as taking the kids to the movies these days is not cheap with the current price of popcorn.

Kids will probably enjoy the action and not question everyones actions. But I realised about half way through that this movie is not making sense and just wanted it to end.

Hol up let me get a doctor on the phone when Nomad is coming to nuke us and the Americans will copy her to a chip like they did with a fucking dead guy.
The movie repeatedly spells out that the Americans WILL find the main dude and the kid. Fulfilling their wish of seeing Nirmata and hoping that something happens is all the simulants had left after getting fucked at every turn.

Roufianos

I think the visuals were spectacular but man, the plot and characters were paper thin. I felt like it could have easily been two movies. Everything was so rushed.

Last edited:
Just saw this. Something about Gareth Edwards' movies reminds me of Zach Snyders': They both make incredible visuals but something about the human interactions just rings hollow. Like seeing Superman's adopted dad get taken out in Man of Steel or with the filial themes in The Creator. I felt more emotion when
the simulant girlfriend of Josh's friend in the city died than with any of the Maya/Alphie/Josh family stuff

Don't know how to explain it or why that's the case. Maybe because they don't stop to humanize their main characters with relatable day-to-day experiences? The characters' motivations can make sense but I have a hard time empathizing with them.

Holy cow, this movie only cost $80 million? Looked twice that, easy. Also looks like it's not going to make that back at the box office, which is a shame. It's not the best movie ever, but it at least felt fresh.

Quixz

Enjoyed this, my rating is 7.5/10

The CGI was a highlight considering the budget and compared to that trash Disney, Warner etc are pumping out.

Billbofet

I saw this tonight on a new format called ScreenX. It's basically screens on the walls of the theater. It was very gimmicky overall, but really worked during one particular scene where a village is attacked.
The movie itself, I thought, was okay. As others have said, it looks significantly more expensive than $80M.
I'll probably watch it again for the visuals because it ain't gonna be for John David Washington's performance. He was so bad I felt like his performance shifted the movie's tone all over the place.
He doesn't do comedy well, and he doesn't do dramatic very well, so he was consistently shown up by the child actor - and she was great. Alice Janney was great too.
Very soft recommendation on this one, mainly because it looks like a $400M movie and has a few truly stunning set pieces.

This is the second time I've seen John Washington in a movie, and this is the second time I've asked myself "why and how did this guy get the leading role?" His acting is genuinely distracting, and I just don't understand how this dude gets leading roles. There's a scene early in this movie that had me actually wince in pain because of how emotionless his line delivery was.
Denzels kid is better than he was in TENET, but despite sounding a lot like his dad, he just ain't the guy for these roles. He is too deadpan and low energy, when paired with low energy, too serious, effects heavy scripts/directors he just doesn't cut it IMHO.
I was aware of John David Washington’s career earlier on, in the HBO show Ballers. This was a pivotal scene of his in the show:

It was also a moment where I first saw a spark, a moment where his acting talents was starting to barely(just barely) touch the level of his father’s. Like you both have stated(and a few others here) since being put into big movie roles, his choices of character roles has not been great, as he keeps choosing to play characters who are used as vehicles for a plot. This ends up in moments where he is giving deadpan acting.

I know the guy is delving more into roles that are scifi(which is a genre Denzel did not touch on much during his long career). However, I think these roles are not helping him look good acting-wise. I watched another movie of his called ‘Beckett’ and his acting as the main character who is literally a paranoid man stranded in a rough part of a non-english country, was miles ahead of his acting in Tenet.

I hope something changes with how he is going about picking roles, and hopefully he picks more out-there roles in order to improve his acting in other avenues.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I caught it this afternoon. I pretty much agree with most here - it was entertaining, but overall pretty mid. I'll say, it reminded me a lot of 90's feature-length anime - both in style and tone.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I fear this movie is going to hold up more advancement for actors of color leading more sci-fi/fantasy movies ... Because the suits will say it's because the lead isn't a straight white man... Even Will Smith couldn't save After Earth and it took Marvel making Black Panther to have a major big budget sci-fi movie with black leads make a profit at the box office... But this hurts it the chances of more stuff that's kinda out there being made.

Top Bottom