• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Transformers Films

sol_bad

I have to say that I am pretty excited about this even with the Bay films being hit and miss. I love the 1st and 3rd TF films, the 2nd one was fairly crap, the 4th was good until they got to China and The Last Knight was an abysmal piece of shit. It's the Bumblebee movie that makes me excited, I really liked it's direction change, the way the film and action was directed, enjoyed Hailee Steinfield's characters too.

Very happy to hear there will be a Bumblebee sequel. As for a movie based on Beast Wars ..... holy fuck balls, yes please.
Is anyone else excited or interested?

Karma Jawa

Great Scott, there’s more of them coming?

f98.gif

I'm so used to Beast Wars having stylized cartoony animals. Visualizing something realistic like the recent The Lion King but splitting open into robots...could be weird. I'd have to see it in action. =P

Eh whatever. I doubt I'll end up watching it anyway.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
After Age of Extinction and Last Knight, I'm not sure I ever want to see another Transformers movie again.

Fortunately I didn't pay to see them.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So...any female transformers, how about POC ones? Oh a gay robot! That'd be fun.
No, not really
They did a couple black stereotype Transformers in the second movie and somehow got away with it.

I'm far from being woke or some sjw, but that put Song of the South to shame.

Last edited:

sol_bad

No. Should I?

I can't say whether you'll enjoy it but I enjoyed it a lot. It's a very different film to the 5 Bay films.
It focuses more on character and the action is much easier to discern what is happening.

So...any female transformers, how about POC ones? Oh a gay robot! That'd be fun.
No, not really

Arcee is a female Transformer and should have a bigger presence.

WUwce74.jpg
6JSO9hP.gif

Last edited:

Doom85

Yes to Beast Wars movies if they're on par or better than then Bumblebee movie. It didn't blow me away but it was pretty good. Honestly I also enjoy 1 and 3 despite their issues. 2 is the worst to me but Jetfire is really good. I like parts of 4 (like them sneaking on the ship) but plenty of it sucks. 5 started off promising (aside from the stupid medieval prologue) but as soon as they went to London it went rapidly downhill (I have never wanted a character to stop talking more in my life. I mean, Anthony Hopkins is amazing, BUT SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THE EXPOSITION ALREADY!!!)

The Last Knight is kino. It's what Independence Day 2 should have been. My favourite of the franchise.
Bumblebee is my second favourite, very interesting visually and John Cena is pure gold.

Cravis

They did a couple black stereotype Transformers in the second movie and somehow got away with it.

I'm far from being woke or some sjw, but that put Song of the South to shame.
Their first form, the vintage ice cream truck, was pretty bad ass I have to admit. Shame they turned into a racist Chevy commercial.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they keep designs/style from Bumblebee. Could actually see the Transformers and not get distracted by 2000000000000000 little moving parts like in Bay films
Such a massive amount of detail, yet you couldn't distinguish one from another, at times.

Son Tofu

Banned
I always enjoyed these movies. Unlike the crowd who complained that movies about large, battling, robots, didn't have a deep enough story.
The super fans have always assumed transformers is meant to be some deep story that involves... something.

I've always been a fan, but I have never understood the mentality of the hardcore fans.

PaintTinJr

The biggest issue I have with the Bay films (other than the first and Bumble bee, which I view as first contact films, so give them more lattitude) is that they (IMHO) all compromise the story telling to fudge a movie industry problem... for me the problem is that a Transformers’ film Director needs the story to be about humans so that they can direct human actors, but the star of any great Transformers’ story/production is always the Transformers. IMO the Bay film stories feel artificially convolved around human issues by adding lots of human speaking cast parts to the film, with the end result (IMHO) being that each film feels like a story about humans and the Transformers are background window dressing.

The original Transformers cartoons didn’t need you to know the humans (except for two IIRC) when battles took place. Human issues were only relevant briefly in Prime’s mantra to protect all life forms or something of that ilk, but I don’t remember the Autobots projecting a weakness like they could be compromised by a requirement to protect human ants – when push came to shove humans were expendable collateral damage in a robot war that had moved to earth. I’m pretty sure in my mind I didn’t care at all for the potential human losses and watched as if I too was a Autobot :) - with all their problems. I’m pretty sure that’s how I watch the newer non-Bay stuff too.

TUROK

I hope they get people who have good action sensibilities.

A good story would be nice, but if these new ones don't bring the violence, then I ain't gonna be all that interested.

The Last Knight really made me not want to watch anymore of the Transformers films until Bumblebee came out. I would like to see more

bumpkin

That movie was awful as was the one before that.
What, making Marky Mark strong enough to block a strike by Breakdown with the gun wasn’t awesome? lol

The best part of AoE was TJ Miller getting crystallized by the blast.

Bumblebee was awesome until they injected some of the Bayformers bullshit... Him losing his speech synthesizer and changing into a Camaro at the end. If that final scene had been him as a bug next to snub nose Prime, it would have made me cry.

They went as far as retconning the Bayformers movies at the end, so why the hell did they need to keep the other shit?

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
I only really like G1 Transformers. Nothing put on screen ever captured the essence of that. It was a mistake to hire the Prime voice actor but not Frank Welker as Megaton. Those Bay movies should have focused on their conflict and had robots that actually resemble the source material. The simple stories from the cartoon used as a vehicle to sell toys was better than anything they came up with for the movies. They also had better set pieces for robots fighting than anything in the movies. Too much focus on the humans rather than them just being expendable nothings caught up in a war between giant robots.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I liked the first Transformers of the Bay series a lot more than the rest.

Bumblebee was okay, but was your typical action movie with the Transformers layered on top.

Top Bottom