• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trusty Bell screens

ethelred

IAmNude said:
Yeah. Did you see the IGN guide to 360 RPGS? Alot of people dont realize the Japanese support it has.

I took a look. I don't count 34 on there. And I'd also point out that I counted 14 games in that list which are being developed by non-Japanese companies, so that list isn't exactly proof of deep Japanese support.

And looking over the list, yes, I'm sticking with what I said: mainly interested in the Mistwalker stuff and Trusty Bell at this point (along with Red/Hudson's Tengai Makyou). Idea Factory and From Software... no thanks. EA RPGs... non. Magna Carta 2, don't make me ****ing laugh. And I didn't realize BioShock was being classified as an RPG now -- it's still a FPS, a genre which I don't like.

Brashnir said:
This post right here is proof of the negativity of the internet. A person is asked what he likes, and responds only with what he hates. :D

Not really. On a broader level it's just a lot easier to quantify what's disliked. And it was a slight jab at the 360's library, because I would consider most of its most heavily praised titles at this point to be the FPS and sports games. :p

Brashnir

Uncle said:
Looks better in the small screens.

everything looks better if you shrink out the flaws. Here's the screenshots from above at that size.

tb1.jpe

tb2.jpe

duckroll

IamNude said:
What about the other 360 rpgs out/coming out? There are 34 in development for the system. As of now it has much better Japanese support than PS3.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Weeeell, according to IGN...

RPG:
Enchanted Arms
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Far East of Eden Ziria - Tales from Distant Jipang
Final Fantasy XI
Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream
Phantasy Star Universe
Tri-Ace RPG (This is published by Microsoft, not Square-Enix)

That's like eight RPGs, two of which are ports of PS2 games. :p

Zeed

Banned
IAmNude said:
What About Dead Rising, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Table Tennis, and Xbox Live Arcade? Those are all wierd games.
XBLA has some stuff I've been hearing about and wanting to try, like Geometry Wars. But again, that's not a system seller for me that can justify $400.

Dead Rising...I'm just not interested in it at all. It looks like some sort of comedy horror action beat-em-up or something - and none of those are descriptors that really appeal to me.

I've seen and messed around with a Kameo demo, but it wasn't really a standout title from what I saw. But I'm rather picky with platformers.

Viva Pinata...is a wildcard, but so far nothing shown has attracted me. Looks like a Pokemonish Animal Crossing hybrid with pinatas. I happen to strongly dislike Animal Crossing. I loved Pokemon, but a big part of that was the exploration and RPG elements which I'm not seeing in Viva Pinata.

Table Tennis...I've not paid any attention to this game at all. The title would imply that all you do is...play table tennis. Am I mistaken?

I appriciate your patient and genuine efforts to find something that interests me on the 360. However, I'm pretty familiar with the 360 lineup and I'm pretty sure that I'll know when the time is right to spring for one. Thanks anyway.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Brashnir said:
everyone who likes their games not looking like crap.

There's a reason these techniques were invented, you know.
as long as the art direction is good I don't care about mip mapping and stuff like that. then again I'm no graphic whore.

Error2k4 said:
as long as the art direction is good I don't care about mip mapping and stuff like that. then again I'm no graphic whore.

if it looks smooth in motion, it will likely be a stunning game for everyone aside from the graphics whores. i really really like the illustration work. its right up my alley

im sure the MotorStorm crowd can come in and explain how this will look much better in motion ;)

Error

I just find it a little weird, peopl complaining about mip mapping, bump mapping, crap mapping in a jRPG when most jRPG with the exception of a few (Final Fantasy) live and die with their art direction instead of being dependant on visual techniques, a jRPG could have all those neat techniques but if it has a crappy art direction, no one will give a shit about it.

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
I just find it a little weird, peopl complaining about mip mapping, bump mapping, crap mapping in a jRPG when most jRPG with the exception of a few (Final Fantasy) live and die with their art direction instead of being dependant on visual techniques, a jRPG could have all those neat techniques but if it has a crappy art direction, no one will give a shit about it.

You said it, man.

Error2k4 said:

most of the peoplemaking such comments about a game like this, i suspect, have no intentions of ever playing it or anything like it. I actually think, to the core audience, something like this looks better than Blue Dragon.

duckroll

meltpotato said:
most of the peoplemaking such comments about a game like this, i suspect, have no intentions of ever playing it or anything like it. I actually think, to the core audience, something like this looks better than Blue Dragon.

This brings us to the question... what DOES Blue Dragon look like? :lol

We've seen cutscenes, concept shots, test renders, but we haven't even seen a single battle screenshot yet. Coming this year? I don't think so Sakaguchi! :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
This brings us to the question... what DOES Blue Dragon look like? :lol

We've seen cutscenes, concept shots, test renders, but we haven't even seen a single battle screenshot yet. Coming this year? I don't think so Sakaguchi! :D
We've see a battle screen with that moth thing, it looks like DQ to me. Not sure how these "shadows" play a role though.

Striek

Looks way better than any non-FF RPG IMO. Much, much better than Baten Kaitos (I thought it pre-rendered backgrounds were -for the most part- ugly). I hope it has a better gameplay system too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yup, pretty much the most interesting 360 game for me right now... although I hope they eliminate the shimmer a bit.

djtiesto said:
Yup, pretty much the most interesting 360 game for me right now... although I hope they eliminate the shimmer a bit.

i dunno. im still holding out to see if the shimmer shows up in motion. I'm pleasantly suprised with how polished the overall look of the game is. if this style looks smooth in motion, it will be visual gold.

Last-Gen:

Baten Kaitos
baten-kaitos-eternal-wings-lost-ocean-3.jpg

Tales of the Abyss
01.jpg

Symytry

Mefisutoferesu said:
Weeeell, according to IGN...

RPG:
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream
Phantasy Star Universe

Action RPG:

That's 20 something, I dunno what else is missing, since you said 34, but anyway. That's what's out there, or might be out there. Also, I'm apparently, quite slow to post. =\

If these are good (and translated) then its possible that I may invest in a 360 when it hits $100. If not... oh well.

Symytry said:
If these are good (and translated) then its possible that I may invest in a 360 when it hits $100. If not... oh well.

you forgot Tri-Ace's MGS-published game, my #1 hype factor for 360 :b

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
If those last few, the close ups large face shots that is, are not CG, then wow. That looks very appealing. Screw tech-jargon.

All around it looks fine. I like the style, even though I'm not fan of the Tales-y looking battle.

Can't wait to see/hear more.

Error

mankey wrench said:
looks like your run of the mill ps2 rpg but in high res so you can see all the imperfections
:lol

looks ****ing great imo.

Not bad for not-tales-but-still-namco-x360-rpg :)

In fact, this is the one I'm most looking forward to (of X360)... when the hell is Microsoft going to show Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey?
TGS, I know ;)

Next Gen Cell Shading is ****ing spectacular!

I thought it wouldn't be until next gen when games could look like proper animation.

Although the real test will be how it looks in motion.

llTll

Banned
i dont know why. but this game doesnt scream next gen to me in terms of graphics. how is VP2 compared to this?

llTll said:
i dont know why. but this game doesnt scream next gen to me in terms of graphics. how is VP2 compared to this?

The graphics styles are a bit too different to compare, get a last gen cell shaded rpg instead.

Top Bottom