• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Virtua Tennis 3 screenshots

Blimblim

The Inside Track
894_0001.jpg

894_0002.jpg

894_0003.jpg

894_0004.jpg

894_0005.jpg

894_0006.jpg

894_0007.jpg

894_0008.jpg

894_0009.jpg

894_0010.jpg

894_0011.jpg

894_0012.jpg

894_0013.jpg

894_0014.jpg

Original resolution was 1360x768, so I guess they are from the arcade version.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
looks a lot better than it did before. the faces looked abnormal to me in the last screenshots. this looks great.

Just where else is there left to go with this tired franchise?
VT2 is more than sufficent for my arcade tennis needs, a slight graphical update does not merit a new game.

shaft said:
wow looks really good. photorealism am here almost :D

Doesn't mean the game will be good. I hope it plays well. But honestly I haven't played any Virtua Tennis games before, so I'm unsure regarding the gameplay quality of this series. How has it fared in the past?

hadareud

The Translator
aztrex said:
Doesn't mean the game will be good. I hope it plays well. But honestly I haven't played any Virtua Tennis games before, so I'm unsure regarding the gameplay quality of this series. How has it fared in the past?
great

mrklaw

MrArseFace
looks shit to me.

I love VT, don't get me wrong. But I hate the look of it. No matter how high res, or how many polygons - somehow Sega still manage to make everyone look like a mannequin.

everythign is so sterile.

Come on Namco, update Smash Court for us.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
mrklaw said:
looks shit to me.

I love VT, don't get me wrong. But I hate the look of it. No matter how high res, or how many polygons - somehow Sega still manage to make everyone look like a mannequin.

everythign is so sterile.

Come on Namco, update Smash Court for us.

I agree

hooo

boooy
=p They should have multiple versions of the same player playable at different ages. Why play as an over the hill 30 something when you can play with the 20 something version.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
hooo said:
=p They should have multiple versions of the same player playable at different ages. Why play as an over the hill 30 something when you can play with the 20 something version.

Great idea. Also looks great.

Newduck

I've played quite abit of it, it looks quite good but not amazing. Good lighting and player models, otherwise nothing special. Game plays quite well, same old story though, overall i preferred Table Tennis.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
darthbane2k said:
Just where else is there left to go with this tired franchise?
VT2 is more than sufficent for my arcade tennis needs, a slight graphical update does not merit a new game.

I think it's great for those of us who have only played, but never owned, their own Virtua Tennis game.

Jim

Looks way better than Top Spin 2, but I'm not liking that weird grass texture. Looks too much like green television static.

Looks good to me. Like arcade perfect high def Virtua Tennis.

hopefully the PS3 version will have a decent online interface built into the game.

Blimblim said:
360 scales the 720p output to 1360x768, it's not a native resolution.

Is there any rule against the 360 rendering internally at 1360x768? I know games are *supposed* to render atleast at 720p(although PGR3 doesnt), and I know they're allowed to render at 1080i, but will MS let them render 1360x768 then downsample to 720p?

arne

Jim said:
Looks way better than Top Spin 2, but I'm not liking that weird grass texture. Looks too much like green television static.

I was just thinking the same thing and was about to hit reply when I got to your post. :lol

quetz67

Banned
not really impressed, sure not even close to photo realistic. A game that doesnt need to care about draw distances should look better.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It seems like I will continue to have a love-hate relatioinship with Virtua Tennis.

I LOVE Virtua Tennis because of the way it plays. It's a 3 button game, that has wonderful, wonderful gameplay. It has lots of depth: you WILL notice a difference in how your character plays on clay, as opposed to grass. That lob should've gone over your opponent's head, but he's a little faster than you think on grass, so he's about to get to in, and spike it into the far wall. Every single friend of mine who gave it a chance (c'mon man! Its three ****in buttons, dawg. Try it!!), have liked the game, to the point that one of them ended up buying a dreamcast just for that one game. And Doubles?! Hell, even my ex liked it then.

I HATE Virtua Tennis because, well.... it's ugly. Real ugly. I don't understand how after all this time the folks over at that particular development department at Sega don't know how to make a decent character model that looks like their real-life counterpart. The croud? Yikes. I know that we're not at the point where we can render ten thousand people in the stands, but geez, give me something a bit more than a super low-resolution bitmap guys...

Oh, and Sega? 2 things: This is the home version of your arcade game. Give us a full 3 set game. I appreciate all the mini games that you give for single-player longevity, but since you don't make any of those same mini games 2 player, give me a full match game.
Secondly. This needs to be online in a fierce way. I'm talking about doubles play, online. You make this happen, and I will purchase the game and the game system that it's released on.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DaddyZ said:
Still wondering why this game wont hit till fall 07'... Besides that, game looks decent.

well the arcade version isn't even out yet.

And really you could call it a two button game since lob can be done with pressing main two buttons at once. Usually how I play anyway, allows you to charge up a top spin or backspin shot then in a split second change it to a lob by pressing the other button as well.

Newduck

Games out in the arcade in the trocedero in london, quite hidden away with the 2d machines though. Looks like its been there a decent while too but i may be wrong.

Joe

wow, that looks really good.

has anyone seen this in motion? if so, is it 60fps and how's the animation?

I don't know if it's a mistake, but in the latest release list sent to the press, Virtua Tennis 3 appears shedduled for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC and PSP.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Looks about the same as topspin 2 graphically to me (although TS2 has major animation issues) dont know where people saying it looks loads better are getting that from.

Hopefully this game does what TS2 could not do and maintain the last generation control, and add a little more variety (TS2 did neither).

pswii60

Ghost said:
Looks about the same as topspin 2 graphically to me (although TS2 has major animation issues) dont know where people saying it looks loads better are getting that from.

Hopefully this game does what TS2 could not do and maintain the last generation control, and add a little more variety (TS2 did neither).

I can't agree. The shadowing / self shadowing in VT3 here looks way better, as do the backgrounds and court textures and clothing.

TS2 graphically isn't as bad as people seem to be making out though. Hopefully TS3 will use table tennis engine, not that we'll need a TS3 after this! Can't wait for Sega to release the big guns, really can't!

BuG

This looks pretty damn good.

Also, as I was scrolling down the screens ended up like this:

which sort of looks like miniature tennis players playing inside a shoebox or something with a giant player standing behind them.

DCX

DCX
The game looks incredible, lets just hope the gameplay is true to the Dreamcast versions with minor enhancements to the game that put it over the top...online play would be amazing, and a great addition to the GAF Sports Gaming Association.

DCX

Blimblim

The Inside Track
In case anyone is interested, here is a brand new video we filmed last friday. It's from the E3 build on a 360.
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3151_en.html
Btw am I the only who notices that the shadows are very buggy? Look at the red walls on some of these shots, there are no shadows from dynamic objects on them. Only static ones like chairs.

Superfrog

Liquid said:
wai wai wait....e3 build on 360? isnt the arcade version on that Nvidia hardware? does this mean porting to 360 much simpler than we would have thought?

Doesn't seem so since the 360 build on E3 lacked self-shadowing and FSAA while the PS3 build (rushed out for E3 and way shorter in development back then) had both. That worries me a little bit, even though a Sumo dev said that in the end, both versions would look the same.

Top Bottom