• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Virtua Tennis 3 screenshots

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
smuf said:
How can they give a nice artstyle to a damned (semi-)realistic tennisgame?

The same way that EA had a nice artstyle in Def Jam, and Fight Night. Virtua Tennis has great controls, good mechanics (when hitting a ball while running, you're shot isn't going to be as accurate as if you were stationary making the same shot), and nice animation. But their character models, while looking higher poly in these screenshots, still look goofy. Their clay looks like a muddy grass texture. The crowd still looks like the same bitmaps used on the Dreamcast. In Fight Night, Roy Jones Jr.'s character model looks like the real life counterpart. It really looks like Method Man is getting his ass kicked in Def Jam. Realistic character modeling goes a long way. It also helps to sell the product if Anna Kornikova and Serena Williams's character models look accurate. :)

Honestly, I'm looking for a graphical update with online / system-link capabilities. Gameplay-wise, they wouldn't have to change a thing from Tennis 2K2 on Dreamcast. Just utilize the Xbox360's graphic capabilities to give me a nicer looking game that I can play in a tournament online.

ghibli99

Technically, it looks alright, but the first thing I thought when I saw the closeups was "Virtua Realdoll Tennis". Companies should strive to make humans look more alive. The more photorealistic things get, the creepier humans look to me.

Top Bottom