• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Tenck

Jarmel said:
If you're expecting this to last 5 hours while gaming, then you're in denial.

No you!

You can probably get 5 hours if you turn everything to the lowest settings. You would also need to play under some good light to see the screen.

Edit:
I think you two are actually on the same side.

Yeah. I would never expect 5 hours of game time with the Vita.

angelfly

$123 for the 32GB means I might hold off until either the price of the memory drops or a much larger capacity can be had at that price.

Yikes at mem. card prices. Hopefully they will be lower when it launches here, otherwise it'll be perceived as not quite the bargain it first appeared as.

Mastperf

As much as that sucks, this is a beast of a portable and it will likely be a 1 time only cost for me. I'm willing to pay more for memory in support of Sony's excellent work with the hardware.

Just one Level 5 game?

ReaperXL07 said:
wonder what the level 5 rpg is going to be, could be ni no kuni related, white knight related, dark cloud related or completely new game. quite a few games on that list i'm interested in.
It'll be LBX.

Ugh, Sony is being so stupid about this.

No memory card and ridiculous prices for appropriate storage are going to kill PSN sales.

People are constantly going to have to worry about their fridge.

The PS3 came with a standard HDD! That was great! If anyone should get it, Sony should!

watershed

Banned
Here are the exact details on battery life:
Reference: About Duration of the Battery>
Game: Approx. 3~5 hours
Video: Approx. 5 hours
Music (in stand-by mode): Approx. 9 hours
* Screen brightness default setting, Bluetooth feature off, headphones used
* Game, when not using the network
* The duration may change depending on the brightness of the screen, what content being played and if
the network (3G/Wi-Fi) feature is being used or not

Deku

Banned
Wait, my existing memory sticks don't work?

I guess I must have not been following that side of it.

ShockingAlberto said:

No memory card and ridiculous prices for appropriate storage are going to kill PSN sales.

The PS3 came with a standard HDD! That was great! If anyone should get it, Sony should!

Doesn't the 3DS come with a 2GB SD card?

Sony can't even do that?

jackdoe

ShockingAlberto said:

Yep. It is stupid not to include at the very least a rudimentary storage solution, 2GB at the very least.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah, this is pretty silly. :/

Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?

It uses a new proprietary format.

KaYotiX

Banned
Vandiger said:
As expected those memory cards are expensive :p
Pretty much called it since I heard there was no internal storage and it not coming with a memory card was well known I thought?

DiscoJer

Nonoriri said:
Memory card 4GB ¥2,200
Memory card 8GB ¥3,200
Memory card 16GB ¥5,500
Memory card 32GB ¥9,500

:<

So, taking a whild guess at US price, $20, $35, $50, and $99.99

Which I bought my PSP-3000 I guess 2 years ago, my 16 gig was $40. So not that bad if this is only $50. But 16 gigs doesn't even hold all my games from PSN....

jackdoe said:
Yep. It is stupid not to include at the very least a rudimentary storage solution, 2GB at the very least.

It's not enough to be usable, so it would just inflate the price (or reduce the margin).

Seriously, 2 GB would barely hold 2 of the better PSP games, probably wouldn't even hold one Vita game.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Do you need a memory card?, I thought the games saved on the game carts and also can't you download DLC to the games flash memory directly?

Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?
2GB card and 2GB external storage.

But SD is cheap and Nintendo doesn't make it. Sony is cutting PSN games on Vita off at the knees to get more money off accessory prices.

FoxSpirit

Tenck said:
No you!

You can probably get 5 hours if you turn everything to the lowest settings. You would also need to play under some good light to see the screen.

What??? It's self luminous and has deep contrast, you can turn it down pretty low and it still looks good.
The only time this needs to be turned waaay up is under direct daylight. *sigh*

Let's just see how this goes.

Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?

gotta make money with propriety man . well this will at least motivate me to get more retail games i suppose, not that that's a good thing.

kuYuri

No internal storage, expensive ass memory cards...

Ufdgc.jpg

Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?
Well, Sony's is a brand new proprietary type of card, so it was expected to be more expensive. The question was how much more expensive than SD, and I guess we found out.

Jarmel

Banned
Tenck said:
No you!

Edit:

Yeah. I would never expect 5 hours of game time with the Vita.

My point was that I'm not even expecting 3 hours with Uncharted.

Oh and the memory card is proprietary? Really? Come the fuck on.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Each new generation of mobile processors targets roughly the same budget for power consumption, so battery tech doesn't have to improve.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
This doesn't have a SSD drive in it? *sigh*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ShockingAlberto said:

Get what? Sony lost out on tons of money by shipping their system with a hard drive built in and then on top of that not selling their own hard drive only like their direct competitor did.

To be honest they're being pretty smart about this. Sell the unit at a relatively low price while recouping that money on accessories.

angelfly

It's obvious they're trying to prevent a CFW situation by going with non-standard media but I wonder how long before we see sd->vita adapters.
Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?
2GB internal + 2GB SD

no included memory card is really, really, really dumb

battery life is better than I expected

edit:

memory cards are too expensive. already gimping the online service and downloading games.

The M.O.B

Deadly Joker said:

Sony can't even do that?

2GB would be nearly useless, psp games are already 1.5gb or so. Really a 4gb is useless as well. If you plan on having full games on here, 16gb or 32gb are the only options, anything less is not enough.

Carl

ShockingAlberto said:

Yup, those PSN games won't do very well if mem cards cost this much.

darkside31337 said:
Get what? Sony lost out on tons of money by shipping their system with a hard drive built in and then on top of that not selling their own hard drive only like their direct competitor did.

To be honest they're being pretty smart about this. Sell the unit at a relatively low price while recouping that money on accessories.
Great. Fantastic for them.

Not fantastic for me.

C-Jo

These memory prices are fucking outrageous. Sony is doing their best to make sure the Vita is stillborn.

I still want one, but come on.

darkside31337 said:

Low relative to what?

Top Bottom