• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Watch Dogs 2 patch teases possible location for the sequel

ryseing

Agreed. Not sure what it was about the sequel but I didn't like it as much as the first. The ability to fast travel anywhere from the get go was a terrible idea. It's more of a ME problem, but if I'm able to fast travel instead of drive for 5 minutes across map I'm going to do it.

Hopefully it is more like the first game.

Have the game play more like the first one with the increased abilities of the second and game will be dope.

please don't change anything from watch dogs 2 that game was ace

Also please include the same level of Streetwear options in it, i like how Marcus dressed like an actual human id like to hang out with

Watch Dogs 3 in the Middle East would be fucking interesting and intense.
South America would have been cool too. London would be the most boring of those three settings. Can't too anything too crazy though, a game with a bunch of foreigners walking around might not make it past the focus groups.

dmix90

What was the last time we had EU/Asia city on that type of scale in open-world games? Can't think of anything else other than awesome Sleeping Dogs.
Bring it Ubi!!!

Batman Arkham Knight - Gotham( Boston/New York )
Just Cause Series - South America(?)
Mafia Series - North America
Mad Max - Wasteland
Grand Theft Auto Series - North America
Forza Horizon - is pretty good but it's still mostly just landscapes not big cities( bring in Tokyo in FH4! )

:(

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What was the last time we had EU/Asia city on that type of scale in open-world games? Can't think of anything else other than awesome Sleeping Dogs.
Bring it Ubi!!!

Batman Arkham Knight - Gotham( Boston/New York )
Just Cause Series - South America(?)
Mafia Series - North America
Mad Max - Wasteland
Grand Theft Auto Series - North America
Forza Horizon - is pretty good but it's still mostly just landscapes not big cities( bring in Tokyo in FH4! )

:(

Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate?

kyser73

Set in Lahndan? In my old manor?

Fuck yeah. Hopefully you can hack the TV displays in the Brixton Foxtons to display the message 'We are all worthless, oxygen thieving cunts.'

Fliesen

WD2 had some pacing issues and could have had some more variety in its mission design, but the tone was absolutely on point.

I hope the next iteration will follow a similar path with regards to tone, likeable characters and being not-all-that-serious-and-gritty.

And i hope they go full non-lethal this time around.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm gonna miss Marcus and DedSec SF, was hoping for a Watch_Dogs Brotherhood style game where they head to SoCal or something, but I'm definitely down for this.

WD2 was such a huge surprise. What a stellar game, and they totally made the series worthwhile.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
WD2 had some pacing issues and could have had some more variety in its mission design, but the tone was absolutely on point.

I hope the next iteration will follow a similar path with regards to tone, likeable characters and being not-all-that-serious-and-gritty.

And i hope they go full non-lethal this time around.
The tone was fine. It's just a shame the FANTASTIC gameplay of the first game was all thrown out the window for it. The gameplay balance of WD2 was virtually non existent. The game mechanics and level design were so poorly thought out in the sequel it's not even funny.

Fliesen

The tone was fine. It's just a shame the FANTASTIC gameplay of the first game was all thrown out the window for it. The gameplay balance of WD2 was virtually non existent. The game mechanics and level design were so poorly thought out in the sequel it's not even funny.

to be fair, i didn't play WD1.

What about the game mechanics and level design were all that poorly thought out?

The only thing i could think of would be the fact that it suffered from the "Arkham Asylum syndrome" of "always stay in detective vision".

I grew up in Streatham Hill which is right next to Brixton so this would be pretty cool.

Always funny to see local areas in games, when Croydon popped up in Assassins Creed that was a big WTF moment for me too :)

I would love to see Watch Dogs set in our capital.

However, I think you'd need a tonal shift from the second game to make it believable. The characters in Watch Dogs 2 would not fit in over here at all.

I essentially want Snatch with gadgets!

SivArcher

Neo Member
London YES PLEASE!!!
It would be so cool if a modern open world games would not set in US cities.
Kind of tired of it because of GTAV and WD2...
But hey London would be sooo cool!!!

DAHGAMING

Id love this, how well did they replicate San Francisco? Would love to go around London seeing places I know. Theres always going to be the big land marks but its the little details i apreciate the side roads ect, the fact that the teaser shows Brixton is promising for that reason.

Dalibor68

Banned
On one hand yay for a non-american setting, and I suppose London makes sense with all the CCTVs they got. But on the other hand I feel like London is the go-to european city setting and once again english speakers. Why not Berlin, Paris, Kopenhagen, Vienna, Madrid, etc? Something truely new and different for once?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
London makes perfect sense. If they can inject the same humour into it as they did with the last one it will be a very fun game. How are the sales for WD2 looking now? It WILL get a sequel right?

On one hand yay for a non-american setting, and I suppose London makes sense with all the CCTVs they got. But on the other hand I feel like London is the go-to european city setting and once again english speakers. Why not Berlin, Paris, Kopenhagen, Vienna, Madrid, etc? Something truely new and different for once?

Think you answered your own question there. London is probably the safest non-US city to use as a setting for an open-world game. It's been a while since it's been used like this so I'm fine with it personally.

jdstorm

Banned
Hey Ubi. Please put in a limited character creator so the player characters dont look identical online. If anything has to be kept uniform for story reasons do it but it would be great if things like Height, Weight and appearance could be tweaked a bit

Fliesen

meh, people like familiar stuff in their open world games, and London got plenty of recongnizable landmarks. Paris would work too, Berlin maybe.
London is also very diverse and you could have people talking english in various different accents in a natural way.

Like, how weird would it be to have a game full of people speaking with a Danish accent ;)

What would seem super neat to me would be individual missions being set at various locations throughout major European cities. Like, imagine you need to infiltrate the Louvre; climb the Funkturm in Berlin.
Watch Dogs 2 was very 'heist'-y in its mission design, many locations were pretty much disconnected from the open-world (via elevators), anyways.

Dalibor68

Banned
London makes perfect sense. If they can inject the same humour into it as they did with the last one it will be a very fun game. How are the sales for WD2 looking now? It WILL get a sequel right?

Think you answered your own question there. London is probably the safest non-US city to use as a setting for an open-world game. It's been a while since it's been used like this so I'm fine with it personally.

Technically they just did it in 2015 with AC Syndicate. Other time setting of course though, but still.

I'm not saying I'm negative on London, it would be a cool setting and different still, but it also has kind of a bitter taste considering how most of continental europe is usually ignored in videogame settings (especcially when it comes to open worlds).

What would seem super neat to me would be individual missions being set at various locations throughout major European cities. Like, imagine you need to infiltrate the Louvre; climb the Funkturm in Berlin.
Watch Dogs 2 was very 'heist'-y in its mission design, many locations were pretty much disconnected from the open-world (via elevators), anyways.

That would be amazing, but since Ubisoft insists on open-world games no matter what it won't happen.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Technically they just did it in 2015 with AC Syndicate. Other time setting of course though, but still.

Yea that's specifically what I meant when I said 'used like this'. It's been too long since we have seen a modern open-world set in London, which is surprising considering how many movies and TV shows are set there. Also AC Syndicate didn't do much for me, I didn't like the game and the setting/time period had been recreated much more memorably in The Order earlier that year.

but it also has kind of a bitter taste considering how most of continental europe is usually ignored in videogame settings (especcially when it comes to open worlds).

Not something you can fairly accuse Ubisoft of, even if they are set hundreds of years in the past.

Dalibor68

Banned
Not something you can fairly accuse Ubisoft of, even if they are set hundreds of years in the past.

In regards to current-day / at least 20th century openworld settings? Absolutely can. Sure some of the historic AC settings are set in continental europe, but for their times they were also rather safe bets. Setting a game set in the industrial revolution in London or a game set in the 1790s in France wasn't exactly revolutionary or particularly risky.

Rellik

This would be great. It's become really boring having games set in the US so the location alone would have my attention.

Markitron

In regards to current-day / at least 20th century settings? Absolutely can. Sure some of the historic AC settings are set in continental europe, but for their times they were also rather safe bets.

I wouldn't agree with that, in fact I think those risky settings where why the Animus/future setting were created in the first place.

FWIW as a European myself I would also like to see modern European cities recreated as open-worlds, as they have so much character, but I just don't see it happening. GTA hasn't even done it yet

Dalibor68

Banned
FWIW as a European myself I would also like to see modern European cities recreated as open-worlds, as they have so much character, but I just don't see it happening. GTA hasn't even done it yet

But that's not going to change by applauding them into a frenzy (not that you or anyone here is doing that) for a still very safe choice. Sure it's a step in the right direction and they'd deserve SOME credit for it (although it should be a normal thing), but there's still a lot of more representation to be had(and we're still JUST talking about continental europe).

I mean let's look at all the more or less recent 20th century+ open world games set in the US:

GTA 4 - NYC
GTA 5 - LA
Watch Dogs - Chicago
Watch Dogs 2 - San Francisco
Infamous - fictional NYC
Infamous 2 - fictional New Orleans
Infamous SS - Seattle
Mafia 2 - NYC
Mafia 3 - New Orleans
Prototype - NYC
Prototype 2 - NYC
Saints Row Series - fictional NYC
The Division - NYC
The Crew - whole US
Burnout Paradise - fictional US
Fallout series - US
The Godfather 2 - NYC
Homefront The Revolution - Philadelphia
L.A. Noire - Los Angeles

I fully agree with you, i finished up WD2 last night (after this patch) and was an avid fan of WD1 too. I much preferred the premise of the character in WD1 as it is much more believable than the characters in WD2 (hacker group that does so much needless killing and violence). I thought the story in WD1 was much better and more coherent throughout the entire game. Parts of WD2 felt needless and a mess. The final mission was such a disappointment. The design of the missions was much nicer too in WD1, the stealth felt better.. For me WD1 is a better game.

8bit

Knows the Score
Loved both, although Watch Dogs 3 : Assassins Creed Syndicate 2 sounds like it should be read from a teleprompter on a Saturday evening.

Lutherian

Ooh, London would be fun.

giphy.gif

Give me a protagonist like Moses, bruv.

My immense crush on John Boyega says yes. Allow it.

Oh please, YES.

Top Bottom