• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Watch Dogs 2 patch teases possible location for the sequel

Is it really that good?

I just finished it a couple days ago and I really liked it, honestly Im not sure if the characters really need to be the main focus but as supporting characters it would be super cool to use them again.

There is a mid game issue with one character which is really unfortunate the way its handled but otherwise yea its a really well done cast.

If they're going to London, I hope Watch_Dogs 3 goes all the way Guy Richie. Like "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" Guy Richie. That'll solve all those pesky "Why is the geek protag shooting everyone" problems too. Criminal gangster hackers. And dags. Lots of dags.

But anyway, keep that same level of city interaction/faction activity, and I'm there no matter what. Had a blast with Watch_Dogs 2's world.

Kaizer

Banned
Hopefully it is more like the first game.

Oh god, I hope not. Watch Dogs 2 was everything I wanted the first game to be. I enjoyed WD1 at the time of its release, mostly because there was no other big open-world GTA-style game available on the new systems yet, but in hindsight the game was really drab & boring to me.

WD2 has a much better handle on characters & style, & I enjoyed the mission variety and side-activities you could get into. It certainly isn't perfect (especially in regards to the certain character beats & how the plot resolves itself, but overall I felt like WD2 was big step in the right direction for that franchise.

In regards to the patch tease, I'd be down for a third game set in London & while I'd be sad to not have Marcus & crew as main characters, I'm sure they'd be worked into the plot somehow. If anything, setting the game in the UK really opens to them up to continuing to explore diversity with their characters, especially with topics like Brexit. I could see them making the main protagonist an immigrant or from a family of UK immigrants.

Kyonashi

Man I'd be so up for this, wanted to return to London in an open world game ever since the Getaway days.

Also Brixton is where I'm planning to move later this year (currently in North West) so that would be extra dope. Could definitely add stuff like Silicon Roundabout and Old Street in too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this would be so cool. watch dogs 3 in london. i've always wanted an open world game set there since GTA but it seems they will never go back so this is great.

Dalibor68

Banned
Wasn't there often talk about how Londons streets would be too narrow for an open-world game with cars? I think I remember people bringing that up in another thread.

Auctopus

Wasn't there often talk about how Londons streets would be too narrow for an open-world game with cars? I think I remember people bringing that up in another thread.

Central London (I.e. City of Westminster) maybe, boroughs like Brixton and Hackney should be fine. I really thought Watch_Dogs 2 needed bicycles, they'd be a good option here.

Coffinhal

Oh god, I hope not. Watch Dogs 2 was everything I wanted the first game to be. I enjoyed WD1 at the time of its release, mostly because there was no other big open-world GTA-style game available on the new systems yet, but in hindsight the game was really drab & boring to me.

WD2 has a much better handle on characters & style, & I enjoyed the mission variety and side-activities you could get into. It certainly isn't perfect (especially in regards to the certain character beats & how the plot resolves itself, but overall I felt like WD2 was big step in the right direction for that franchise.

In regards to the patch tease, I'd be down for a third game set in London & while I'd be sad to not have Marcus & crew as main characters, I'm sure they'd be worked into the plot somehow. If anything, setting the game in the UK really opens to them up to continuing to explore diversity with their characters, especially with topics like Brexit. I could see them making the main protagonist an immigrant or from a family of UK immigrants.

I don't see the point of keeping the same characters in a different culture and place. Makes no sense and they prooved that they can create good characters RELATED TO an environment.

It's time to get rid of that US hegemonic approach.

Kaizer

Banned
I don't see the point of keeping the same characters in a different culture and place. Makes no sense and they prooved that they can create good characters RELATED TO an environment.

It's time to get rid of that US hegemonic approach.

Well like I said, I don't expect them to continue the story with these characters, only that I'll be disappointed because Ubisoft did a good job at crafting a genuinely likeable cast of characters for the most part and I hope they'll be able to do the same for the third title. And in regards to the characters returning at all, I mean WD2 had WD1's protagonist, Aiden Pearce, make an appearance and Raymond Kenny/T-Bone is integrated into the central cast & plot. I wouldn't be surprised to see characters from WD2 make some form of an appearance or cameo is all I'm saying.

Kthulhu

Shit, that'd be awesome. I figured they'd do Seattle or Austin or some other tech focused city next.

Edit: it'll be a pain driving on the left side of the street though.

Whoever said Seattle - GREAT call. I think that would be the perfect middle ground between Chicago & SF - best of both worlds from a stylistic point of view. The geography and variety is most important to me - and although I'd welcome London for the 3rd installment - I think it could be an aesthetic step down. But hey - would love to see them take a chance.

I'm surprised so many people dislike the tone & characters. After playing Watch Dogs 1 and The Witcher 3 - the light hearted tone, colorful personalities & humor of this game were a welcome relief! I feel like every game that attempts fun / modern or 'hip' characters that don't take themselves too seriously always get slagged for being annoying. Same thing with GTA V. Hell, I think a lot of characters in my favorite TV shows are annoying, but that's normal. Playing hours and hours of a protagonist that takes him / herself too seriously with little to no sense of humor can get exhausting.

Still think Watch Dogs 2 is game of the year. Where it falls short to GTA, it makes up for in gameplay variety and fun. Really hope poor sales don't hinder the next release. A bigger budget Watch Dogs would be mindblowing. More fun modern-setting games like this, please! Enough with the hyper-future or dull medieval times fantasy bullshit.

UrbanRats

Ooh, London would be fun.

giphy.gif

Give me a protagonist like Moses, bruv.

Not to be that guy, but it'd be about time to have a woman protagonist in a WD.

Still waiting for the first open world city game w/ multiple fully-realized & developed (aka not San Andreas) locations to travel between. Will it be 'Everywhere'?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If they bring back Aiden, Belfast would make a lot more sense.

My god, what a boring open-world that would be, could only be worse if they included Dublin as well.

Matush

Can't remember the last GTA-esque game set in present that is not set in USA. If it indeed is London, I am stoked.

sjay1994

to be fair, i didn't play WD1.

What about the game mechanics and level design were all that poorly thought out?

The only thing i could think of would be the fact that it suffered from the "Arkham Asylum syndrome" of "always stay in detective vision".

It mostly has to do with the gunplay. The gunplay from WD1 is much better than WD2. However, as a whole I think the fact WD2 decided to move away from a focus on guns and essentially being the punisher was a better choice.

A lot of people in the original thread for the first game who liked it called it an "open world splinter cell".

So in comparision, WD2 is a very different game than WD1

Is it really that good?
I thought they were fun and just personally really relatable. Personality wise I guess I'm a lot like the characters in the game in terms of interests and other things
like being a dirty hipster teenager
So I had a blast with them and would like to see more of them. But I think it's a great game all around and I'll definitely be picking up the story DLC

Though I certainly wouldn't be opposed if they kept the Dedsec culture and had a new London crew and even had a female lead.

Top Bottom