• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Watch_Dogs Trailer - Releasing November 19th, 2013 [Up2: Special Editions Info]

Ugh. I did not like that trailer. Game just doesn't look that interesting anymore :/
Does seem it might have some nice touches, I just worry about the gameplay being too 'press X to X'.

We will see.

RaijinFY

The motorcycle/car handling and crashes seems a bit cartoony to me. I guess I was expecting more in terms of physics and deformation from a next-gen game, granted this is an early preview and devs haven't had enough time to tap into the machine's full potential.

Or maybe this is just the way they wanted it...

Trailer was really obnoxious for the first half, don't like the guy's voice or his lines. Hopefully the story is good as that will be the deciding factor for me if I get it at launch I think. I'm also expecting the non-shooting gameplay to be typical Ubisoft third person "press one button for everything" crap. Let's see.

luffeN

Question is, how do you think this footage will compare to the PS4/Durango version? :p

My guess is, that the game was developed with Durango as lead platform.

I think high end pc and ported to Durango/Orbis, although this makes it kinda redundant to say because the dev kit is a pc so.. whatever! xD

Persona86

Banned
Do you mean, maybe TYPING and or DRAGGING on the gamepad, instead of the more "realistic" hacking made by holding a button or following a sequence of button taps?

Actually, if the PC version offers some actual "hacking", ie typing commands on a terminal, it may be a deal maker to me.

Aiden obviously has created a program that doesn't require typing in crap. He needs to hack quick in the situations he's in.

Persona86

Banned
So true. The very first showing implied a new idea and gameplay approach. This, with all the shooting and explosions looks so generic.

I see it as two sides of 1 coin, the first other side you guys are talking about is still there. What's the worry?

I dunno, game looks great to me. I'm just expecting super solid and stable performance and really cool effects over some kind of hyper real looking product.

Looks pretty damn good. Almost all of that appeared to be done in game, and if that's the PC version - I'm pumped. It reminds me a lot of Sleeping Dogs, with the combination of gun & hand-to-hand combat. Cutscenes seem to have that same vibe to them as well.

btkadams

This is most likely the PC version, right? I'll have to watch it on a bigger screen later (on my phone), but the visuals didn't really stun me like the PS4/PC demo at the PS meeting.

Question is, how do you think this footage will compare to the PS4/Durango version? :p

My guess is, that the game was developed with Durango as lead platform.

No, initially it was running on a PC with GTX 680 (last e3 footage). You can compare the footage from last year to the PS4 footage this year (also running on PC but with PS4 specs). The shadow resolution is really low on the PS4 version and it also has pop ups.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No, initially it was running on a PC with GTX 680 (last e3 footage). You can compare the footage from last year to the PS4 footage this year (also running on PC but with PS4 specs). The shadow resolution is really low on the PS4 version and it also has pop ups.
Where are you seeing that? Every footage of this game I've seen had pretty high res shadows, including this new trailer.

Where are you seeing that? Every footage of this game I've seen had pretty high res shadows, including this new trailer.

Watch the 1080p video of the PS4 speced version. The shadow resolution is extremely low and so is the shadow draw distance. I will take pics when I get home.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I dug the trailer. Looking forward to this.

How does GAF think this footage will compare to the PS4 version?
I think this is probably what the PS4 version will look like. We just need some more sunset/night footage to see how downgraded it is from the reveal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Watch the 1080p video of the PS4 speced version. The shadow resolution is extremely low and so is the shadow draw distance. I will take pics when I get home.
I assumed this was running either on PS4 devkit or similarly specced PC because it's on their channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRt2bw82wYo&list=PLol_ykYs3OQ65y4avMdbMk_k96z3lMt6W&index=5#t=2m46s

Shadows seem fine to me except when they obviously glitch out, like in the middle of him beating up that guy on the ground, which looks more like a buggy code than anything.

Momentary

Banned
They need to say "F" it with these trailers and have all these multiplats running on 7990s or Dual Titans and have the previews running at 60FPS@1080p with the sliders all the way to the right... just to troll everyone when they get the console ports.

Definitely picking this up on PC... after I get dem Maxwells.

jet1911

igEjA26Vjq0vH.gif

I'd love for a moment like this to show up in W_D

Can Pierce shoot people in the knees?

igTLOeCim8M2a.gif

Should be an achievement.

Has this interview been posted?

City in a Bottle: Designing the Story of Watch Dogs

snippets:

Aiden Pearce, the game's protagonist, is one example of interpretative design. "We paid a lot of attention to how we designed Aiden's motivations, versus the tools you have to interact with your surroundings," said Morin, acknowledging that players can, technically, go on a shooting spree at any moment. "For us, Aiden is, say, 80 percent predefined, and the other 20 percent is how the player's actions shape him. Instead of overly describing how Aiden is supposed to act, we're using the world to react to what the player does in interesting ways."

"Instead of having a good-or-bad system, we're going more into a gray area talking about media and communications. The media will talk about what they think of Aiden Pearce, and as the player, you will feel a disruption between your motivations for what you've done, versus what people, and the media, believe they saw--which is a reflection of what the media can cause due to a lack of information. And this is just one example; we're making sure every system screams back at the player how he plays, without being judgmental."

Condemnation is not Morin's goal. Regardless of how you play Pearce, what's important is that you're making decisions and dealing with the consequences. "This feeling of being lost between [Pearce]'s problems and society's problems--which is the typical tragedy of a vigilante--is something the player will feel as they play. As you get more powerful, you're enticed to seek out more side-mission content; you're going to have these temptations to help others or otherwise intervene in situations that have nothing to do with Pearce in the first place. Will you intervene, or not? Will you pull the trigger, or not? And who are you to make these sorts of decisions? Those are the types of issues players could experience, should they seek them out."

Asking players to take a more tempered, introspective approach to Watch Dogs is a tall order considering they can go and do what they please. Restricting the player is not the answer. Instead, the key is offering context. "One of the first things we decided after starting Watch Dogs was: if you're walking around a city, draw a gun, and start shooting bullets in the air--that's a big deal! It's a significant event that people will be talking about, the media will be talking about, and people will be scared. In short, gunfights in the middle of a city are a pretty serious event."

As seen in the game's extended trailer, firefights, chase scenes, and other exciting set pieces won't be uncommon in Watch Dogs. However, Morin feels he can't ask players to take his world seriously if he doesn't bring some gravity to all the violence. "In the end, we [want] to make sure the repercussions of your actions are always present, but at the same time we don't want to frustrate players by putting them in an environment that isn't fun and isn't interesting to interact with." Using the in-game media to comment on your actions is one solution, but striking the perfect balance remains an ongoing challenge for the development team.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Looks pretty awesome.

Not to be that guy... but man that's a pretty crappy looking sprint animation. Maybe it just sticks out because all the other animation is really stellar, but that sprint might as well be from some other game. Like Mass Effect 3 or something.

farisr

igEjA26Vjq0vH.gif

I'd love for a moment like this to show up in W_D

Can Pierce shoot people in the knees?

igTLOeCim8M2a.gif

Should be an achievement.

That would be awesome. Been watching the show ever since it's series premiere. Didn't think it would live up so well to the hype I had for it. So glad that such a great show is getting great TV ratings as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The shadows on the wall to the left (when he beats the dude) are pretty bad.
Yes, that's the scene where you can see them look good at first, and then go glitchy and extremely low res all of a sudden. That looked like a LOD bug more than anything.

That wasn't a very flattering trailer, honestly. I'm still looking forward to getting the game, but random cut in/cut out flash/fade action trailers do nothing. The slow, deliberate pace of the previous footage was way more interesting, and I'd hoped the rest of the marketing would follow that kind of speed.

Ehh whatever.

sunnz

Or maybe this is just the way they wanted it...

Something like SR3 or SD are when you can tell devs chose those types of physics, but here it looks like the devs don't give two fucks about the vehicle physics and added the most simplistic and easy to add physics possible to cut time, money and effort.

Sadly that is a big part of a game since I assume you will be driving a lot. A game like this physics on the level of IV or mafia 2 or even something like Driver: SF would not only make perfect sense but fit the game perfectly and improve it A LOT.

Sadly for games like SR/SD/JC the main reasons why I stopped after the story was because the physics were so bad ( also why I still to this day play IV and mafia 2, just drive around the city) and I feel the same will happen with this game.

To the devs and some of you it might be a silly reason but to me it's important and can break a game ( maybe not break, but defiantly ruin, also why SD,SR and JC could have been SO much better if the physics were a little more... focus on.)

Hopefully I am wrong and the physics are actually good

Something like SR3 or SD are when you can tell devs chose those types of physics, but here it looks like the devs don't give two fucks about the vehicle physics and added the most simplistic and easy to add physics possible to cut time, money and effort.

Sadly that is a big part of a game since I assume you will be driving a lot. A game like this physics on the level of IV or mafia 2 or even something like Driver: SF would not only make perfect sense but fit the game perfectly and improve it A LOT.

Sadly for games like SR/SD/JC the main reasons why I stopped after the story was because the physics were so bad ( also why I still to this day play IV and mafia 2, just drive around the city) and I feel the same will happen with this game.

To the devs and some of you it might be a silly reason but to me it's important and can break a game ( maybe not break, but defiantly ruin, also why SD,SR and JC could have been SO much better if the physics were a little more... focus on.)

Funny you mention Driver: San Fran, wasn't Reflections said to be working on the car handling in Watch Dogs? I'd say hold off on that criticism until you play the game.

sunnz

Funny you mention Driver: San Fran, wasn't Reflections said to be working on the car handling in this game? I'd say hold off on that criticism until you play the game.

Prepare for disappointment is my way of thinking.

Why I have... issues with games like GTA V and the last of us, so when I do play them it won't be as bad as I expect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks pretty awesome.

Not to be that guy... but man that's a pretty crappy looking sprint animation. Maybe it just sticks out because all the other animation is really stellar, but that sprint might as well be from some other game. Like Mass Effect 3 or something.
That animation has been driving me nuts too. It looks like to came from Enter the Matrix.

Top Bottom