• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii hardware pics

Saoh said:
Good eye but i dont think its anything, or that it opens. why? well, that bottom "flap" looks and is assembled different from the top flaps, where the GCN controllers/memory goes.

the flaps at the top have like, a small gap, so they can open. the bottom side of the console looks shut tight.

It looks like a cover. It has a slight groove where you could pry it open.

RaidenZR

citrus lump said:
It looks like a cover. It has a slight groove where you could pry it open.

It *could be anything at this point. Can we peacefully just end that speculation there before it turns into another net phenom of gnarled conjecture? For the sake of the bloggers, please.

Provider

13.jpg

Those rumors about the base being a battery or some sort of power source are gonna heat up

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Saoh said:
Good eye but i dont think its anything, or that it opens. why? well, that bottom "flap" looks and is assembled different from the top flaps, where the GCN controllers/memory goes.

the flaps at the top have like, a small gap, so they can open. the bottom side of the console looks shut tight.

Maybe it opens in the other dirrection...as in the notch side is facing us in that pic, while the GCN docking door is facing the other side, meaning that the hinge with the spacing (for the GCN doors) would be facing us.

From memory, the bottom flap was screwed into the casing in the model patents which might explain why it looks tight. For this reason, even moreso, I think if there's anything there, it would be manual emergency disc eject.

I don't think it's for anything special 'cos it's too underneithy. Ando said the DVD attachment which is believable, it could also be the manual disc eject like I said or even a hardware reset button (WiFi routers and such have those in case you have to go back to factory settings to reset your password, etc.).

A battery is unlikely, the only way it would work is if that flap opens to reveal a larger compartment to slide a battery into 'cos that simply isn't well placed or big enough for a battery...but an internal battery would just be impractical anyways 'cos you'd need a screen to make it worthwhile and such a "portable kit" (with screen, mounting, connections & battery) would be externally attached.

Shiggy said:
So why is the button called "I-Sync"?

I noticed that too, but my eyes could be playing tricks on me 'cos in a lightened photo of the opened flap it sorta looks like there's also an LED between the SD card slot & the SYNC button too???

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I removed it from my site, although I was asked I dont want to get in anyshit :lol

Bottom Flap FTW

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Christopher said:
Didn't Nintendo fans bitch that this is a gaming machine not a multimedia machine and now it's DVD FTW OMG!!

/rolleyes.

What?

Stop it. Just, stop it.

koam

AndoCalrissian said:
Why does that hole look so deep? Seems like it might be a pain in the ass to put a card in or take it out unless you have needle fingers.

Because the wii is extremely small and that's a close up, it's really tiny.

Provider said:
13.jpg

Those rumors about the base being a battery or some sort of power source are gonna heat up

It looks so small, perhaps it's just a cover for a button (like a pair of jeans' button) that clips the console to the base for more sturdiness while in the upright position?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the androgyne said:
It looks so small, perhaps it's just a cover for a button (like a pair of jeans' button) that clips the console to the base for more sturdiness while in the upright position?
not a bad guess given those black inserts in the stand

Christopher

Hopefully some white GC controllers come out to match that style i'll hate playing with these funky purple controllers on there.

Neo Child

Banned
Christopher said:
Hopefully some white GC controllers come out to match that style i'll hate playing with these funky purple controllers on there.

Not sure if it's UK only, but our Mario Smash Football (Super Mario Strikers+ + Gamcube bundle was Pearl White. A white GC + white controllers.

Burnst said:
If it's just a sync button and SD card reader, why didn't they just put it under the upper flap?
Wii stuff on one face, GameCube stuff on another face.

bune duggy said:
Apparently Iwata hinted at USB HDD drivers being included; however, whether that is true or not has never been proven. I keep seeing people say this but no one ever wants to give a link.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/29/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm
CNN said:
The Revolution has 512 MB of flash memory, allowing for some initial storage space. The system also has a slot for SD memory cards, which are widely used in digital cameras and can hold a greater amount of data. Most importantly, Iwata mentioned, were the USB ports that are built into the Revolution "so practically any storage method can be used".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nintendo X said:
I love how they included the 4 controllers, and two memory cards from GC. :)
Well with Iwata's prediction from back in 2002 of 50 million GCN's sold they had ~30 million of them left over. :p

Trurl

Banned
Nintendo X said:
Yeah, nice. It looks like a GC PSU. :D

I love how they included the 4 controllers, and two memory cards from GC. :)
You're right. A big part of the excitement of getting a new console is wondering what the PSU will look like. Way to go Nintendo.:(

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
20060608p2a00m0na001000p_size6.jpg

^^^

Notice there is no gap in that shot.

*breaths a sigh of relief*

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AndoCalrissian said:
There's nothing else to complain about really, other than perhaps the 1 and 2 buttons on the controller, when they should really be X and Y.
"1" and "2" are much more friendy to non-gamers. Nintendo made the right choice.

Gahiggidy said:
"1" and "2" are much more friendy to non-gamers. Nintendo made the right choice.
Not really. It's inconsistent with the rest of the labelling on the controller, nunchaku, and classic controller, making it a bit strange. Not only that, it's less-friendly to gamers, which are still going to be a big part of Nintendo's potential success with the system.

By the way, the story and picture of the flap above have been posted on GoNintendo, as part of some larger article with I assume (I only skimmed briefly) wild speculation.

xsarien

daedsiluap
AndoCalrissian said:
This needs to be black black black black black black black black. Seriously, wtf is up with the ugly-ass grey cables they're using.

You've got to be ****ing kidding me...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I mean, why not have DVD playback included? It would only cost them a few pennies to add it in. I don't like the add on deal. I want to have my uber-sleek looking Wii as my DVD player in my room.

Cosmozone

UltimaKilo said:
I mean, why not have DVD playback included? It would only cost them a few pennies to add it in. I don't like the add on deal. I want to have my uber-sleek looking Wii as my DVD player in my room.
AFAIK they'd need a license for DVD support which is a little more than a few pennies. So they're leaving it to the customer.

hooo

boooy
The bottom flap has to be for the N64 ram expansion. It needs to be convenient so you can take it out when you play Diddy Kong Racing in the virtual console. Or it could just be some unused expansion port just like the ones Nintendo has included in it's past three home consoles.

Top Bottom