• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

MarkusRJR

OMG! I can close apps without it having a 5-10 minute load time! I'm actually so happy right now. They fixed my issue. :')

moonbox

Banned
Has anybody's gamepad been 'freezing' a shit load? Like, the gamepad doesn't actually freeze, nor does the console. The gamepad's controls just become unresponsive and I have to either restart the gamepad with its power button or press the sync button on the console to get the controls back. I remember seeing one guy post about the same thing, he got a new Wii U and never experienced it again.

A message comes up if it happens while you're on a game using off-tv play. It says 'unable to communicate with the gamepad'. But that's the only time a message actually appears to inform you - it's not the 'connection lost' message, so it's nothing to do with interference.

It's really pissing me off. Somebody please tell me i'm not the only one. Or i'm throwing it in the fucking bin.

Everybody's confusing hard-locks, errors, and unresponsive gamepads. They're clashed into one problem, so it's hard to tell if when somebody says their Wii U crashed, what they're actually talking about.

Update says almost 5 hours for me. Since I decided to actually tell the system to start the update I'm stuck on that screen. It won't do it in the background for me. :/

Revan

GAF basic owners - what is the remaining available space after this patch? I'm not at home to do the update....

backlot

I updated and haven't noticed anything new. I haven't gotten many lock ups either so I don't think I can test that.

JavyOO7

3DS update fast as usual. Going to take my Wii U downstairs to my sister's place to get Wii U to update. Maybe the fixes includes better internet connectivity with certain routers.

moonbox

Banned
Has anybody's gamepad been 'freezing' a shit load? Like, the gamepad doesn't actually freeze, nor does the console. The gamepad's controls just become unresponsive and I have to either restart the gamepad with its power button or press the sync button on the console to get the controls back. I remember seeing one guy post about the same thing, he got a new Wii U and never experienced it again.

A message comes up if it happens while you're on a game using off-tv play. It says 'unable to communicate with the gamepad'. But that's the only time a message actually appears to inform you - it's not the 'connection lost' message, so it's nothing to do with interference.

It's really pissing me off. Somebody please tell me i'm not the only one. Or i'm throwing it in the fucking bin.

Everybody's confusing hard-locks, errors, and unresponsive gamepads. They're clashed into one problem, so it's hard to tell if when somebody says their Wii U crashed, what they're actually talking about.

Seriously, has anybody got this same problem? It's fucking annoying. It happens every 5-20 minutes or so, sometimes longer.

Pharros

I feel like my Miiverse, friends list and internet browser open faster than before. About 4 seconds total according to my counting. Definitely a speed that I am okay with. System settings still takes a butt load of time, but the multitasking apps are quite quick in my opinion. Obviously still room for improvement, but you get what I'm saying.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like my Miiverse, friends list and internet browser open faster than before. About 4 seconds total according to my counting. Definitely a speed that I am okay with. System settings still takes a butt load of time, but the multitasking apps are quite quick in my opinion. Obviously still room for improvement, but you get what I'm saying.

Glad I wasn't alone with my observations.

Eusis

Odd, it downloaded REALLY fast for me, finished updating 10-20 minutes ago. I can think of two possible reasons:

1. I was somewhat careless and left my Wii U on beforehand, and in the meantime it started downloading the patch.

2. I followed this AND threw DMZ on it in case it sped up downloads.

It seemed to be mostly done when I started the update though, so I think it's probably mostly 1, with 2 possibly ensuring I wasn't been slowed down too much.

EDIT: And after some cursory checking (nothing new on the eShop that I care about, TVii still not up) I left it to be used for Netflix.

majik13

people are saying this on other forums as well. I am still at work though, so I dont know personally.

Miiverse and eshop loading speeds are really bad. I still use them (especially Miiverse) but it needs to be fixed. They should load as quickly as the Internet browser does.
It takes longer to load things into slower RAM. I don't see a patch fixing the RAM. Only way they're going to improve load times is by making the programs smaller.

AndTAR

Does look mostly like bug fixes - but what a file size for that.

Notifications no longer nag endlessly, though.

majik13

can anyone test if it hardlocks if you eject a game while playing it and put in another? Before I could only eject a game while in the main menu.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yeah apps definitely load a bit quicker and close a bit quicker...

I still think this is an update for the freezing and they made things slightly nippier!

EDIT:

Yeah...just tested Miiverse...it opens quicker and closes muuuuuuuch quicker.

I haven't updated yet (about 30 minutes left on the download) I'll grab a stop watch and do some before and after numbers for those interested.

Fox Mulder

So, this needs to be better discussed.

When I'm ACTUALLY IN THE APP itself (Miiverse, friends list, etc) the system is speedy and loads things just fine. There is no issue whatsoever with speed. It's only loading times between apps that seem to be long. If I click on a profile in Miiverse, it pops up instantly. If I scroll through Netflix, it scrolls through movies smoothly. If I check my system log, I can toggle between day and month views instantly with no problems. Again it's only when you're transitioning between different apps that it's slower.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but posts like "Slow OS" imply that everything about the system is slow...even when you're trying to do things in apps themselves. That's just not true.

I don't think there's a need for a distinction.

People are used to smooth interfaces on other platforms and smartphones, and most anyone will notice the slow parts of the WiiU OS. I'd hope that Nintendo does as well, just admitting they're working on it would be great.

Its not the end of the world, as other platforms have had similar problems that eventually got fixed. Android had issues with brief lag with animations or apps loading and the 360 really stuttered when you pressed the guide button while playing a game.

nickcv

memory available before the update: 25 GB
memory available after the update: 25 GB

people may stop worry about these updates consuming all the internal storage

Shouldn't I be able to download this in the background and play games? The Home button can't be used. I'm stuck at the progress bar. 1:39.

So I cannot play games while this updates? Guys?

Top Bottom