• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did the 3DS get an update too? When I got home it told me so, but the update took like 2 seconds to download and install.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah apps definitely load a bit quicker and close a bit quicker...

I still think this is an update for the freezing and they made things slightly nippier!

EDIT:

Yeah...just tested Miiverse...it opens quicker and closes muuuuuuuch quicker.

Everything loads so much faster now. It's so much better for me. Actually so happy. :)

Definitely an improvement in my opinion. Hopefully more people get the same result, which seems to be the case thus far. :)

:-(

My app loading speeds havent changed at all. wtf? Maybe yours were just REALLY jacked?

I recorded the app loading post update in case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXi44bZ1LAg

Medalion

Banned
Geez are some of you guys getting the "real" update or what?

Some people say things are the same, or slower, and now people are saying things are faster?

It can't be all these things lol

therapist

they REALLY need to work on their servers.

Updates are horrendously slow , even the zombiu 23 mb update took me 15 mins.

I mean wtf.

Drago

I left the download 40 minutes ago and it was around 35% done. I come back and now it's almost 50% done.

Such unacceptable speeds. Ugh...

my HDD and Wii U are still very much in love :3

Daily Log the worst load time offender for me is still slow as hell... everything else now sure seems to work just fine

pestul

Miiverse is definitely faster for me. Browser possibly a bit, everything else the same. Trying HDD enclosure that didn't work before now.

nickcv

ok, multitask application load a little faster and quit much much faster.

other apps speed didn't change at all.
imho of course.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Good news: update starting downloading automatically.

Bad news: close to a 5 hour estimate time. That is longer then the original update lol. I have a 10 Mbps connection btw.

Edit: saying close to 7 hours now. That surely can't be right.....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Miiverse was always fast launched from the main menu. Its only slow when a game is running at the same time. Maybe people experiencing faster speeds are just checking it without a game running.

Medalion

Banned
Ultimately, I've never been a huge complainer about the OS speed except for the unusual slowness to enter, and to exit the settings menu for this system. I got used to it honestly.

However, I cannot bear these long-ass download speeds.

nickcv

Miiverse was always fast launched from the main menu. Its only slow when a game is running at the same time. Maybe people experiencing faster speeds are just checking it without a game running.

nope, to make sure i tried opening it even while running NSMBU

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah, feels faster for me as well, although this update is probably bug fixes.

Good enough for me, hoping TVii is next

Times Pre-Update:

Turn on (from blue light to User select) 22.3 seconds
Miiverse load (outside game) 16 seconds
Miiverse Exit (outside game) 3.2 seconds
eShop load (outside game, till "update your system") 18.5 seconds
eShop exist N/A
Browser load (outside game, till first website starts to load) 8.1 seconds
Browser exit (outside game) 4.7 seconds

Game Load (AssCreed 3, till "game saves automatically" screen) 25.4 seconds
Game Exit (AssCreed 3) 23.3 seconds
Miiverse load (...) 21.3 seconds
Miiverse Exit (...) 2.2 seconds
eShop load (..., "till update your system") 18.5 seconds
eShop exit N/A
Browser load (...) 8.7 seconds
Browser exit (...) 4.8 seconds

Will update when the update is done~

Astra

This update speed is all over the place. Goes to under an hour, up to three. Though I suppose a lot of people are downloading in concurrently, so it's to be expected. Here's hoping it does good for the OS' speed.

lenovox1

It takes longer to load things into slower RAM. I don't see a patch fixing the RAM. Only way they're going to improve load times is by making the programs smaller.

Your smartphone has much slower RAM. Your PC might have RAM that's the exact same speed. What are you talking about?

kinggroin

Banned
You're doing it wrong.

If you hit the Home button it takes longer to switch apps...if you back out with (b) and manually open and close apps you will notice the difference.

Wait... so if I'm in the browser let's say, what's the best way to launch Miiverse?

Fox Mulder

Ultimately, I've never been a huge complainer about the OS speed except for the unusual slowness to enter, and to exit the settings menu for this system. I got used to it honestly.

However, I cannot bear these long-ass download speeds.

It takes forever to download anything, then forever to install. It would be awful even if I wasn't used to xbox live.

You're doing it wrong.

If you hit the Home button it takes longer to switch apps...if you back out with (b) and manually open and close apps you will notice the difference.

That seems silly...

Times Pre-Update:

eShop exist N/A

eShop exit N/A

Yes.... I shall wait for your post.

Pharros

Times Pre-Update:

eShop exist N/A

eShop exit N/A

Whoah mine is not near that slow. I hope you see some speed upgrades after the update. Looking forward to followup.

AzaK

ArynCrinn

Banned
Started my update, probably 45 mins or so. Glad to see some experience slightly increased speeds, hopefully hard locks are gone.

My update is jumping around... sometimes less than 30 min left, othertimes 3 hours... but by sometime tonight I'll have precise "before" and "after" numbers... though I honestly expect we won't see any noticable changed between this patch.

This patch is obviously to fix the crashing a lot of people had (including myself). When you're designing a program, you worry about fixing things crashing first and foremost, then worry about optimizing. Trying to optimize code at the same time you're fixing it isn't usually recommended (unless you're fixing memory leaks, then it's basically a 2 for 1).

Top Bottom