• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wolverine Trailer tweeted by Jackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Even if you don't read books, Leon the Professional came out over 20 years ago.

Which itself was a twist on True Grit.

Which itself was a twist on the old cowboy protecting a young child trope from dozens of older westerns. Which had beards and were set in a dusty empty world omg Shane ripped off Sony!

Ah, I wish they kept the claw reveal until the film but it might help sell it tbh

It's going to work in the movie just fine.

It's not like the moment was going to be pure in any case. You know she's got claws. You know she's going to pop 'em.

It's the context that gives it power. Not just the imagery in and of itself.

Can't really spoil the full weight of that context in a 2 minute commercial.

Was the True Grit remake any good?

The Coen Bros remake w/ Bridges & Damon? Absolutely. Much better than the original.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, a lot of people on GAF have their first real exposure to a lot of frequently-used storytelling ideas and arcs via their hamfisted repurposing from film/novel into game. So their frame of reference starts primarily with the game's twice-baked-potato version of a story rather than the influences that fed it.

Which happens on this side, too. Not everyone can read all the books and watch all the movies, so their frame of reference can be smaller than others. They see a trailer for a movie, and it feels to them like a movie they saw a few years ago, and don't know that 20 years later, a movie almost exactly like that already came out and was the main inspiration for whatever director was currently being discussed.

But yeah, since this is a gaming forum, a lot of people are going to knee-jerk point and go "OH SHIT THIS LOOKS LIKE THAT FUCKING GREAT GAME I LOVE"
Basically yea.

Even if you don't read books, Leon the Professional came out over 20 years ago.
Yea but how many gamers do you think have sat down and actually watched Leon The Professional?
Also pretty bad example considering the romance vibe due to the pedophile director. >_>

God damn that looked so good. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo in.

So in.

That Comicbook scene won't be in the movie, I'd bet money on it. Very clearly a trailer scene.

Marketing budget must be shit

Which is weird since this is R rated and it took a massive marketing push to sell Deadpool.

I feel like this might not be as successful as Fox likes and they'll just use this to go "See, R-rated big budget movies don't work" confirmation bias.

Which would be a shame.

Slayven

Which is weird since this is R rated and it took a massive marketing push to sell Deadpool.

I feel like this might not be as successful as Fox likes and they'll just use this to go "See, R-rated big budget movies don't work" confirmation bias.

Which would be a shame.

For real i thought this was later this year, and the only news about is on twitter. Might be setting it up to fail

Which would be a shame.
Here in Sweden the Hurt trailer ran before every showing of Rogue One. That must've cost a fair bit if they did it in other countries as well. PR firms here are busy preparing for Moana and LEGO Batman on top of internet and youtube ads for Logan.

dukeoflegs

Just watched the trailer and for what ever reason it makes me feel like Xavier is dead or isn't even actually there, like he is just inside of Logan's head. Maybe I'm reading way into it and that isn't true.

Which would be a shame.

The last Wolverine movie didn't have a huge marketing campaign either as far as I recall and didn't do great in the US but still pulled over $400 million worldwide. I imagine that Fox is expecting similar numbers for this one and considering the lower budget, I'm sure it will do fine. I think the X-Men franchise just does better overseas so that's where they are concentrating their efforts.

bengraven

When Laura walks out of that building she's holding something red and possibly bloody but the next shot she's just throwing down the cuffs.

Is it the dudes head you think?

kswiston

Yea but how many gamers do you think have sat down and actually watched Leon The Professional?
Also pretty bad example considering the romance vibe due to the pedophile director. >_>

Muricah version that most of us saw via Blockbuster video or TBS cut all of that out.

Between that, the Road, True Grit, Road to Perdition, actual X-Men comics, Lone Wolf and Cub, etc, etc, it seems like people here should have stumbled across the grizzled protector and son/daughter figure trope before The Last of Us. I know some of our members are on the younger side, but most are at least in their late teens/early 20s.

kswiston

"The grizzled mentor and the young, brash rookie" is a trope as old as fiction.

Ya. I was just trying to pick some examples that were released/localized in the past couple of decades.

I don't really blame people if they are unaware of "Plot X" being a straight rip off/homage to Shakespeare or Milton, but I assume most people here consume somewhat current media not related to videogames.

I already plan on watching this movie so I didn't watch the trailer. I try not to watch trailers if I'm going to watch the movie.

Anyone point this out yet?

Ex0tc6M.jpg

Point what out?
A much less substantial beard during the "not whatever it is you think I am" scene. The scars are there, though. Does he get shaven at one point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom