• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Looks like the name is confusing some people as well, not a good week for MS

hbynOaQl.jpg

beautiful

frizby

I want to know who this mythical "average consumer" is.

Who is this person who was supposed to care deeply about dedicated servers (for a while) but now doesn't care at all about twice as many pixels?

I cannot believe the number of people across the mainstream sites, forums, twitter and GAF that are arguing that the 720/1080 difference is marginal.

Put aside the fact that there is a difference, and it is noticeable.

Why are so many people ready to just take whatever Microsoft hands out? I mean, you're the consumer. You're paying $500+. You bought a 1080p screen to enjoy high definition. It's 2013, on the brink of 2014 - and Microsoft are trying to sell you a console that renders at a slightly higher resolution than the gen that started 8 years ago.

Grow a pair - voice some concerns, if for no other reason than to tell them that it's not good enough. Regardless of your thoughts on the end result of resolution differences - be pro-consumer and make them aware that releasing an underpowered console at a higher price deserves ridicule.

Who is this person who was supposed to care deeply about dedicated servers (for a while) but now doesn't care at all about twice as many pixels?

Shifting goal-post.

PS3 : Doesn't matter it's more expensive, people care about Blu-Ray!
Xbox : Doesn't matter it's paid online, quality of service is worth the subscription!
XB1 : Doesn't matter if games look worse, it has dedicated servers. ( supposedly )
PS4 : Doesn't matter if launch line-up is weaker, it's $100 cheaper and stronger!
Nintendo : Doesn't matter what Iwata does, it has Zelda, Pokemon and Mario!

It's the consumer who cares about the Kinect 2.0 sensing your blood pressure but doesn't care about paying $500 for 720p in 2013.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Why does that magazine scan say Nov 13th?

That thing is all kinds of fucked up. Probably shouldn't be posting scans though.

I envision partially blind people with mild mental retardation and an addiction to dewritos, if all the shit that MS folks say about them is true.

"They don't care about resolution."
"They follow the brand they know." (Because PS3 did sooo well with that plan.)
"Price doesn't matter." (Huh???)
"They won't hear about INSERT NEGATIVE POINT HERE because it doesn't matter." (Because word of mouth from early adopters does fuck all, right?)

I mean, Jesus. Who the hell are these people talking about? I don't know of anyone who would be an early adopter of a console that those points apply to.

Mondy

Banned
Jesus fucking christ GAF, I go to bed for 8 hours, a new thread starts up and it's already at 54 pages. Give a man a break.

As for this situation well......I can't remember a worse console launch in the history of the industry then this one. Maybe the Saturn or the Gamecube but this feels like it could get much worse.

Mr.Fresh

The "average consumer" was sure supposed to give a fuck about dedicated servers though weren't they? That was a game changer, until it wasn't.

I never argued that. I always knew it wasn't. People don't even know what that is.

That argument is as fresh as your user name. Righteous, brah!
I guess.
They will when one version of the same game looks worse than the other. They'll take notice, just like they did with third party games in the first half of the ps3's lifecycle. Only this time, the gap will not close.

So why did games like Skyrim, Treyarch COD, Bayonetta, etc sell well on PS3? We all know they run like shit but if it was that big of a deal these would've barely moved anything on Playstation since the Xbox versions were superior.
Casuals are not stupid like many here make them out to be. They are able to comprehend that there is a power and price difference, both in PS4s favor.
I agree on price but long as it's HD people don't care. I've heard people say COD is the greatest looking game ever. If power mattered XBOX/ GCN would've out sold PS2.

Mugatu

I don't know.

Clearly somethings are more important to more people than others but something like pixel count is generally extremely important to the average person.

Cameras and TVs are sold largely by resolution - it 's far from the only reason but plenty of consumers didn't bother with plasma TVs despite their better picture quality simply because they took a while longer to become all 1080p versus LCDs.

I think something as simple to understand as resolution will have a big impact whereas dedicated servers are something that gaming enthusiasts are likely to care about.

Right. It was about consumers. I'm a consumer. Hell, I'm closer to the average early adopting consumer than whoever you've made up in your head. I'm sorry that you feel like you can define what people care about.

No, it is about the average consumer. I've stated what I believe about the average consumer. I haven't defined anything as per your silly accusation.

This isn't about the "average early adopting consumer" either. You're just being argumentative for the sake of causing argument now.

frizby

Shifting goal-post.

PS3 : Doesn't matter it's more expensive, people care about Blu-Ray!
Xbox : Doesn't matter it's paid online, quality of service is worth the subscription!
XB1 : Doesn't matter if games look worse, it has dedicated servers. ( supposedly )
PS4 : Doesn't matter if launch line-up is weaker, it's $100 cheaper and stronger!
Nintendo : Doesn't matter what Iwata does, it has Zelda, Pokemon and Mario!

Fair list, but I am no end of sad that Pokemon has replaced Metroid on your last list. That, my friend, is bullshit. ;)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously. Is the average consumer's math so bad that they don't know 720p < 1080p?

All they need to do is hear that fact from a friend or a store salesman and they'll instantly know which one has better graphics.

I don't see why this is a big deal. Average consumer don't give a fuck about 1080p. They are the ones who are gonna bring the most money in. Hell I didn't until I started reading GAF. If they did Call of Duty would not be the biggest selling playstation 3 franchise.

At least as far as multi-platforms go, if you want the best looking game for the $$ X1 is lacking.

Seriously. Is the average consumer's math so bad that they don't know 720p < 1080p?

All they need to do is hear that fact from a friend or a store salesman and they'll instantly know which one has better graphics.

I get the feeling that it's in a salesman's best interest to not explain the difference between upscaled and native resolution, especially if the customer won't have a chance to see both side by side.

Prelude.

So why did games like Skyrim, Treyarch COD, Bayonetta, etc sell well on PS3? We all know they run like shit but if it was that big of a deal these would've barely moved anything on Playstation since the Xbox versions were superior.
Those weren't launch games, of course they're gonna sell well if the platform has millions of users. And Bayonetta was a mess but the japanese oriented base is on PS3 anyway.

I agree on price but long as it's HD people don't care. I've heard people say COD is the greatest looking game ever. If power mattered XBOX/ GCN would've out sold PS2.
Came out too late. The PS2 was already a juggernaut.

frizby

Exactly. In my experience, people with minimal expertise on something will boil it down to its simplest possible terms.

Which one has more graphics?
And it costs less?
Wrap it up.

No, it is about the average consumer. I've stated what I believe about the average consumer. I haven't defined anything as per your silly accusation.

This isn't about the "average early adopting consumer" either. You're just being argumentative for the sake of causing argument now.
And who do you think is gonna buy these consoles in their first year, man? I'm not arguing for the sake of argument, I'm arguing that your argument is fundamentally flawed because you make unrealistic assumptions about the target audience of these machines.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I get the feeling that it's in a salesman's best interest to not explain the difference between upscaled and native resolution, especially if the customer won't have a chance to see both side by side.

Why does he even need to explain the difference? Just compare the native resolution to the native resolution as that would be the most accurate.

frizby

Man - why do I have a sinking feeling that we are all just blowing this out of proportion??

The software glitches? We absolutely are.

I expect both machines to have their quirks, but Xbone has the potential to be extra quirky given some of the stuff it's trying to do. But it's probably fixable.

720p, however, is a big deal. Word will get out, and that's a long term problem.

It sold well because there's an install base of Playstation users that chose to buy the console despite its flaws, and don't feel that they needed to buy a whole new console just for the better quality multiplat.

But you're looking at it strictly from a one-sided perspective. Let's assume consumers are not dumb and they know they're buying a weaker/stronger console.

That means probably all of the PS3 buyers chose to buy the PS3, knowing that it delivers a weaker 3rd-party experience for its exclusives or what not.

On the other hand, there is potentially a small segment of the 360 install base... that bought it because it was powerful and ran 95% of most games better.

Imagine if there's just 5% of the 360 install-base that has zero brand loyalty, played only multiplats, and chooses their purchase on best power/value. That is not an insignificant amount.

Mononoke

Banned

The average consumer would see the numbers and be like 1080 is bigger than 720..surely it must be better. Bigger = better. They don't even need to understand the technical difference. Also, I bet the average consumer would be like: hey..my TV is 1080, why is PS4 my TV's # but Xbox One isn't?

Granted, I don't know if the average consumer will even hear about this news/information. But I do think that if all of this was well known, I do think even the average consumer would notice something was off.

RayMaker

Banned
I would say the average consumer, is a consumer who has the same or similar opinions and tastes comapared to the majority of consumers.

online and paper surveys
games sales
time spent online on which game?
time wathcing movies on console
how many games they own

All this data collected on PSN and XBL will be a usefull tool for sony and MS.

The bigger the companies the more sophisticated the data gathering techniques are.
They have to be to get accurate results.

inb4 kinect/NSA the matrix blah blah

So you want the rumors to be true?
What? It isn't about that. We can't change Xbox's problems if they exist.

I want to keep being part of a community with integrity it has today or more. No one wants to be the boy who cried wolf.

Mondy

Banned

Or see one side by side view of each console. That will be enough to see the difference. These people trying to suggest there isn't a substantial visual difference between the two are deluding themselves.

And who do you think is gonna buy these consoles in their first year, man? I'm not arguing for the sake of argument, I'm arguing that your argument is fundamentally flawed because you make unrealistic assumptions about the target audience of these machines.

Your arguments are nothing but conclusory statements, many of which aren't even relevant to the line of discussion.

What assumptions did I make? I didn't even really make an argument. You're just being argumentative. I said they probably won't notice that the image is upscaled and not native. Your response was basically, well fuck I can tell and I care. Then I said we aren't talking about you, we are talking about the average consumer. Then you came back saying essentially, well shit you don't know what people want. Each of your responses has further and further strayed from the initial point I was making. Hence why I think you're just trying to make an argument.

And who can say for sure until the consoles and games are released anyway. Even the launch titles alone aren't going to be that determinative of how experiences are in the long run.

Anyway, not gonna indulge you anymore. You're just here to stir the pot.

edit2: replaced "delineated" with strayed

Or see one side by side view of each console. That will be enough to see the difference. These people trying to suggest there isn't a substantial visual difference between the two are deluding themselves.
You an Aggie?

I completely agree with this statement. It's just like how people can see a clear difference between 720 and 1080p displays at their local electronics store... the average consumer, as envisioned by desperate Microsoft fans, does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom