• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee screenshots and info; Toybox coming for backers in July

Neiteio

Those screens... I am not gonna lie, they made me feel like I did opening up a Gamepro or EGM back in the day when I was a kid with no internet and seeing Sonic or something for the first time. This game really looks like it's made of love.

So happy that this is actually happening.
I'm actually kinda bummed Nintendo Power isn't around anymore. How perfect it would've been if Yooka-Laylee was first revealed there. (And with Nintendo funding so that they could show us all the goods from the start!)

On the bright side, with this being a multiplat, more people will get to experience it. :)

Crayolan

Game looks great, though I'm not sold on the villain design yet.

I noticed how similar these two pictures are. Pretty neat.

Ci6jLgCXAAQE7tZ.jpg

Ci6jK0EXAAgqECh.jpg

Yeah this is the first thing I noticed! Nice throwback.

A giant, evil corporation whose leader is "Capital B"
Bill
taking over a small corporation of creators.

They aren't even trying to be subtle.

lol, perfect

Kinsei

Banned
What tier do you need to get the toybox? I'm on the ten pound one.

20 pounds or more for the toybox. I'm pledged 15 so I wont get it either. Let's both look on the bright side, when we get the game it will feel completely fresh since we won't have played the demo.

KrawlMan

Loving so much about this game. However, am I alone in not really liking the main characters? They seem somewhat forced (i.e. let's create another duo because banjo and kazooie was our thing) Also extremely top-heavy.

Beyond that, I'm very excited.

Trowser, Kartos and now Capital B are all S-tier designs. Simply perfect.

Yooka and Laylee themselves are of course excellent.

Not sure what to think about the duck and the head-in-a-bowl. I feel... confused.

But yeah, how do I get amiibo of Trowser, Kartos and Capital B.

Agreed. Also I need to see full-body images of that octopus and duck things before I pass judgement.

Loving so much about this game. However, am I alone in not really liking the main characters? They seem somewhat forced (i.e. let's create another duo because banjo and kazooie was our thing) Also extremely top-heavy.

Beyond that, I'm very excited.
They obviously are forced being an interactive duo character but I like them easily better than Banjo and Kazooie. Kazooie was badass but Laylee has that beautifully imperfect eyesore clown nose and Yooka is way cooler looking than a bear with shorts.

KrawlMan

They obviously are forced being an interactive duo character but I like them easily better than Banjo and Kazooie. Kazooie was badass but Laylee has that beautifully imperfect eyesore clown nose and Yooka is way cooler looking than a bear with shorts.

Yooka is actually the part I dislike most. Laylee is great .

Speely

Banned
I'm actually kinda bummed Nintendo Power isn't around anymore. How perfect it would've been if Yooka-Laylee was first revealed there. (And with Nintendo funding so that they could show us all the goods from the start!)

On the bright side, with this being a multiplat, more people will get to experience it. :)

Right! That's what I was getting at, platforms aside. The sense of awe/hype that came with a great magazine reveal or screenshot exclusive. Nntendo Power was awesome for that as well.

Sites do a pretty good job of that these days, but it's different when part of a medium that is so wholly networked. Back when it was just mags, I felt it was a more personal experience.

Anyway, these screenies make me feel like that :)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The team behind this better stay together after this. Just perfect.

Azriell

b71F6FQ.jpg

Capital B

His head kinda looks like a bee with the first quarter of it's body sticking out of the suit. I feel like the suit/body is probably a robot, and at some point it's going to explore/break away to reveal Capital B's true form--a giant bee.

A-V-B

His head kinda looks like a bee with the first quarter of it's body sticking out of the suit. I feel like the suit/body is probably a robot, and at some point it's going to explore/break away to reveal Capital B's true form--a giant bee.

Exclusive image of the final boss fight

latest

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooooo gooooooood

I do not regret backing this at all. The silent wait has been long but it will all pay off. I can't wait for the Toybox to launch in July. I backed for $55 US dollars, enough for the "Toybox+", whatever that means!

I believe I selected Wii U, which I no longer own. Obviously getting a Steam version for PC and I need to find a compatible controller, and I will no doubt triple dip if there is an NX version. I need this game in my life, I'm a huge BK fan and this is basically the bear and bird reborn as a lizard and a bat.

Kinsei

Banned
Sooooooo gooooooood

I do not regret backing this at all. The silent wait has been long but it will all pay off. I can't wait for the Toybox to launch in July. I backed for $55 US dollars, enough for the "Toybox+", whatever that means!

I believe I selected Wii U, which I no longer own. Obviously getting a Steam version for PC and I need to find a compatible controller, and I will no doubt triple dip if there is an NX version. I need this game in my life, I'm a huge BK fan and this is basically the bear and bird reborn as a lizard and a bat.

I don't think it's been a silent wait. We've gotten a bunch of small updates since the KS ended like Kartos and the music for his challenges, Rextro Sixtyfourus, the Ghost Writers, and so on.

Crocodile

Looking fantastic. LOL at some of the shameless references but that's kind of what I signed up for :p I see their pun game is still strong too. Dr. Puzz's head is way too big compared to the rest of her body. It's weird.

pixelation

What's wrong with the ice level screenshot? It's beautiful but you can clearly see some jaggies, it definitely doesn't look like a bullshot.

It does look beautiful but... the lizards tail looks painted?, i dunno that's what makes me think that its art and not game-play.

Luigiv

It does look beautiful but... the lizards tail looks painted?, i dunno that's what makes me think that its art and not game-play.

That's probably the intention but look closer and you'll start to see that it's not. It's just a well designed shader.

Here's the full res image again for reference. Looking at the hilight, it does a good job of emulating the look of brush strokes but under close scrutiny you can see that there's a bunch of artefacts that give away it's real time nature.

NEO0MJ

Now that you mention it he does look like those fat bees from Banjo.

And his cane has a piece of honeycomb on the top. Definitely a bee :)

thefro

I'm hoping this game is quality does very well and the team can expand and make more of these types of experiences. Rare 2.0 would be a dream

I believe they've mentioned their goal is to expand to where they can make two projects at once and basically release one game a year.

BasilZero

For some reason I thought this was gonna be a 2D platformer.

But it looks amazing from the shots we've seen lately.

Excited to hear about this game. So much nostalgia when looking at the design.

Sponge

Banned
So this is gonna be a resounding success and influence Microsoft to give Rare the OK to make a new Banjo game, right?

At this point I really don't care if Banjo ever comes back. Playtonic seems to be giving me what I've been waiting for.

There's no reason why the two can't exist alongside eachother, I just personally don't care anymore.

PSqueak

Banned
And his cane has a piece of honeycomb on the top. Definitely a bee :)

Wait, i am confused, are there people out there who think he is NOT a bee?!

Technically speaking, we don't know, the official list of platforms was decided before the NX was something concrete we knew about, and they said the point of using unity was to be able to port to as much platforms as possible, so i could in the future.

Andyliini

I wonder if they'll strike a deal with Nintendo and license amiibo. They said once that there was some interest, and after Shovel Knight -deal, it should be very possible. Though it means that they would probably have to something exclusive for Wii U --version with that.

Top Bottom