• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee Toybox being released for applicable backers today

Ultimadrago

I agree with the ball puzzle stinking. If you're going to put something like that in there make it more or less "engaging" like rolling on the ball and over enemies/pits in Super Mario Galaxy. Boy, did I cuss a storm finishing the Green Star level for that, but it kept my attention the whole way through. This requires somewhat tight ball controls, however. In any case, likely just to test the ball physics.

I also think the double jump should be higher (as a previous user stated) or that there should be less ledges that require the super bounce in the main game. Obviously, it's simply a demo, but in the core of things it kills momentum. A nice mechanic to have, just have it required less frequently.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I have the Toybox +

I love ALMOST everything about this. This is a Kickstarter done pretty god damn well and I'm proud that it's my first Kickstarter. It feels 100% like a Banjo-Kazooie successor. The controls are tight, the visuals are crisp and charming, and the characters and dialogue are so Rare it's insane.

A couple nitpicks:

-The camera, as mentioned earlier, needs some work.
-Require the spring jump a bit less, and have double jump be able to clear more jumps. Having to spring jump for more than half the jumps will get repetitive really quickly.

Other than that I loved this demo.

DJKhaled

I looooveeee the rolling. Treat it like drifting and eventually you get used to it and can roll all the way up the tower without much trouble. It will be a major component of the gameplay, so there has to be some nuance to it.

I love the rolling to get around but fuck that tower I keep falling off, I've given up for now.

AJ_Wings

I have the Toybox +

I love ALMOST everything about this. This is a Kickstarter done pretty god damn well and I'm proud that it's my first Kickstarter. It feels 100% like a Banjo-Kazooie successor. The controls are tight, the visuals are crisp and charming, and the characters and dialogue are so Rare it's insane.

A couple nitpicks:

-The camera, as mentioned earlier, needs some work.
-Require the spring jump a bit less, and have double jump be able to clear more jumps. Having to spring jump for more than half the jumps will get repetitive really quickly.

Other than that I loved this demo.

Have you tried spinning while double jumping? I've seen a speedrunner do it and didn't know why but it appears that it boosts you while you're in the air without requiring spring jumping! Make sure not to keep bumping to the level geometery.

Incredibly impressed with Playtonic's progress and my only big complaint is the camera. They either to implement transparency when the camera is bumping into walls or not have it get stuck as much.

Still, very much excited for the final release.

EDIT: Found him! This is what I was talking about, notice how much distance he keeps from walls.

I really wish I had the toybox to try it out because it looks amazing!

I hope that they release it later for every one
I know it won't happen :(

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried spinning while double jumping? I've seen a speedrunner do it and didn't know why but it appears that it boosts you while you're in the air without requiring spring jumping! Make sure not to keep bumping to the level geometery.

Incredibly impressed with Playtonic's progress and my only big complaint is the camera. They either to implement transparency when the camera is bumping into walls or not have it get stuck as much.

Still, very much excited for the final release.

EDIT: Found him! This is what I was talking about, notice how much distance he keeps from walls.

I've tried this myself, but when you do a max jump and max double jump, then hold the jump button to have Laylee glide, you get a small extra flutter boost like a small third jump that can clear a lot more platforms. Again, as you said, you can't be touching the geometry or else Laylee won't flutter and I hope this is something they fix. But yeah I don't think spinning really does anything? That's just Laylee giving you a small boost if you jump as high as possible, but it DOES require the spring jump a lot less and I only figured this out until my second playthrough.

Shin-Ra

I missed the reference the first time through but I think the camera's a Kinect reference ;)

28062365923_e2c382709b_o.jpg

28062365403_db36080e08_o.jpg

I'm not sure if its name is Inept or it's just saying it IS inept.

Camjo-Z

Managed to fix my resolution issues and played through another 3 times. I really can't get enough of this game.

I missed the reference the first time through but I think the camera's a Kinect reference ;)

I'm not sure if its name is Inept or it's just saying it IS inept.

I'm pretty sure its name is Inept. Fits its personality and works as a pun on Kinect.

halfbeast

Banned
don't have a pc that could handle it, and not really sure why I got a code for the toybox, but there it is - quote to reveal the code and enjoy!

Finally got around to playing this and I really liked it! Got a pretty big rush knowing that I was getting a taste of a new Banjo Kazooie after all these years.

I didn't realize the rolling move speed could be adjusted, but once I did it felt great. The third jump feels like it lasts a lot longer than in BK, but I like that it's not an exact copy of BK in every way.

Maybe I missed it, but I did miss a "fast swim" move like in BK (I think you held both A and B to do it), but they did make the swimming a little more streamlined.

The ball rolling "puzzle" was probably the only rough part of the game, in the final game they should make a grab move or something. Tomb Raider Anniversary/Legends I think had really good ball rolling mechanics if I remember right.

The camera did get a little tricky at times, especially when rolling up the tower. Some of the corners just didn't quite work IMO, and I fell off a lot.

I can't wait for the full game when I can get all the moves and levels to play through. :D

Top Bottom