• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yu Suzuki Interview - E3 Reveal/ Shenmue 3/ Game Programming

Jcgamer60

TOM: A while ago you mentioned that you don’t really play games. Is that true?

Suzuki: I really don’t play games (laughs). I want to express the things outside games that I find intriguing inside games. Since my job is making games, I import things from outside games that no one has expressed in a game before, and express it through cooking up my own cuisine in the world of the game. Once the subject is decided, I do a lot of research on it.

TOM: Why is it that you don’t play games?

Suzuki: For instance, when we go to a game parlor, my friends are always better than me. It’s no fun when you always go home as the loser. Although in a game parlor, I might be fifth out of five, but when it comes to driving a real car, I enjoy it because I’m the faster one (laughs). This factor makes up the basis of fun. You just won’t enjoy doing something you lose at all the time, which is why I enjoy driving a real car or bike more. It’s not like I don’t like games, but to me, there are many things I can have more fun with, so I use my time for those instead.

TOM: There are a variety of games in the world, aren’t you interested in them?

Suzuki: Not really. Not playing games isn’t a minus for me. Since I’m a creator, I put great importance on originality. And since I don’t check out other games, I won’t end up making something similar. However, when we included video productions in Shenmue, we were using real-time CG to create these cinematic presentations. In order to be able to do that, I would not only watch but thoroughly analyze one movie a day for a period even when times were tight.

TOM: Unrelated to games, what movies do you like?

Suzuki: My three favorite movies are Roman Holiday (1953), Casablanca (1942), and Hustler (1961). In terms of direction, older movies aren’t as hurried compared to modern ones.

TOM: What else did you use as reference for Shenmue 1 and 2 besides movies?

Suzuki: Since Shenmue has a lot of components, it’s hard to specify. For the Virtua Fighter series, I immersed myself in studying kempo. When designing Out Run, I would often drive and I even rode a motorbike around, so badly that I ended up injuring myself (laughs). During the making of After Burner, I studied so hard I was almost like a military maniac. Shenmue is where I comprehensively used all that knowledge. The components of Shenmue include bikes, bicycles, and even street fighting. I put in all the know-how I acquired until that time.

Full Three Page Interview: http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d92a516b043ae/

ajim

Awesome interview! Thanks for sharing. There's a couple of spoilers in there too if you're trying to avoid info on the game and have so far.(nothing that hasn't been mentioned before).

Yu seems like a real smart man

Acosta

"You don't play games?"

"Why don't you play games?"

"Seriously, how come?"

That part is a bit weird, but the interview is long and pretty great, don't miss it.

Well, it might not be the best example, but for Final Fantasy VII, their excitement was similar to that of having won the lottery, while for Shenmue 3 they were cheering as if a deceased child just came back to life (laughs). It was like witnessing a supernatural phenomenon, something resurrecting from the deepest depths of the underworld.

ajim

That part is a bit weird, but the interview is long and pretty great, don't miss it.
Yeah its weird but it is hard to believe that Suzuki as great as a game creator he is doesn't play Games at all.

It's really amazing to me actually and something I never knew.

Just shows how good he is and how passionate he is at providing new and exciting experiences without other influence.

I also love how he gets so involved into his designing and decision making by living and breathing whatever he is trying to built and learning as much as he can. It's amazing.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah its weird but it is hard to believe that Suzuki as great as a game creator he is doesn't play Games at all.

I work in I.T all day, I don't come home and do I.T. I see family, friends, get fresh air. Some people need that firm divide

ajim

I work in I.T all day, I don't come home and do I.T. I see family, friends, get fresh air. Some people need that firm divide
I already made that connection myself. But I guess I just felt differently about a creative and interactive form like video games which revolves around the enjoyment and satisfaction of others and him not having any outside influence or even an interest in playing video games.

"You don't play games?"

"Seriously, how come?"

Head Of Kwik-E-Mart: You may ask me three questions.

Apu: That's great, because I only need one!

Homer: Are you really the head of the Kwik-E-Mart?

Head Of Kwik-E-Mart: Yes...

Homer: Really!

Head Of Kwik-E-Mart: Yes...

Homer: You!?

Head Of Kwik-E-Mart: Yes... I hope this has been enlightening to you. Thank you come again.

Well, it might not be the best example, but for Final Fantasy VII, their excitement was similar to that of having won the lottery, while for Shenmue 3 they were cheering as if a deceased child just came back to life (laughs). It was like witnessing a supernatural phenomenon, something resurrecting from the deepest depths of the underworld.

Rise from your grave!

gelf

I kinda like this. Not playing games means he's unlikely to be influenced by the latest fads and just make what he wants to make.

brett2

I kinda like this. Not playing games means he's unlikely to be influenced by the latest fads and just make what he wants to make.
There is definitely some merit to that approach. At the same time, if they don't utilize some obvious advances is gaming trends some of the other team members who are gamers will bring in ideas as well. I guess i'm not worried regardless.

eso76

An interesting perspective.
This is probably why shenmue still feels so..'refreshing' in many ways.
It doesn't follow game/level design rules 101 and Shenmue II is structured like no other game I know of.
If Suzuki can make a game ignoring all the clichéd mechanics/puzzles/design choices that have made gameplay progressively more predictable and less interesting in modern AAA games, then I'm all for it.

Roman Holiday, Casablanca and The Hustler. Covers all the greats like Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, William Holden and Paul Newman. Based Suzuki.

gconsole

Hmm, interesting. If he doesn't really play any game then every game coming from him is like a pure product. No influence no nothing from other creator.

At least I can rest my mind that Shenmue III won't have QTE and cinematic expenrience bullshit. Unless that's what he come up originally.

Really like what he has to say. I'm interested in slower games that offer more breathing room, and I like that he doesn't play a lot of games. The ouroboros-like nature of most modern game development is problematic. When a game is successful everyone rushes to copy its surface characteristics instead of focusing on the deeper spirit of the experience, which is usually what resonated with people.

Hmm, interesting. If he doesn't really play any game then every game coming from him is like a pure product. No influence no nothing from other creator.

At least I can rest my mind that Shenmue III won't have QTE and cinematic expenrience bullshit. Unless that's what he come up originally.

Umm....

ocean

Banned

Yeah, about that...

tumblr_n9qm3kcJDS1si30s6o1_250.gif

Silvard

I don't see how not playing games is a good thing. I mean it does sound pretentious enough and he's had a good critical record so far, so I'm hoping people who assist him and do the grunt work of the design are well versed and experienced.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't see how not playing games is a good thing. I mean it does sound pretentious enough and he's had a good critical record so far, so I'm hoping people who assist him and do the grunt work of the design are well versed and experienced.

It doesn't sound pretentious at all. This is one of the top 3 videogame creators of all time. Who gives a shit of he doesn't actually play games? He brought us innovations in a variety of genres that have advanced gaming in innumerable ways.

eso76

Dude...

I don't know if that was ironic, but in case it isn't..I hate to be the one to tell you that the definition of QTE itself was coined with Shenmue.
And i don't mean figuratively.
If you disregard laser games, Shenmue basically invented that kind of interactive cutscenes, and Quick Time Events is the name Yu Suzuki came up with...

hemo memo

Gold Member
Have you played his games?

No, but the man is a legend according to many in the industry and gamers like his games so i'm excited to try this one. It's just weird that he doesn't play games and see the latest trends and preferences and ideas of game design and gameplay. Yes, ofcource he's not working alone but still.

No, but the man is a legend according to many in the industry and gamers like his games so i'm excited to try this one. It's just weird that he doesn't play games and see the latest trends and preferences and ideas of game design and gameplay. Yes, ofcource he's not working alone but still.

Remember all those iconic Sega Arcade games from the 80s and 90s? Sega AM2?
That's Yu's baby.
And actually, this interview makes his catalog make a bit more sense. There's a lot of (at the time) fast-paced one-of-a-kind arcade titles that involve flight and racing in their history.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

No?
::feels old::

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
"You don't play games?"

"Seriously, how come?"
It's a valid line of enquiry I think.

Sometimes you hear film directors talking about not watching films, but I find that a bit weird. Like a musician who never leans from what other people are doing with music.

That's not to say there's no validity to the approach of listening to your own voice and trying to experience as much of the world outside of games as possible.

prwxv3

I have bad news for you.

mrlion

You never played Shenmue have you?

Top Bottom