• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raonak

Banned
I thought it's less about that colonial heritage than not wanting to be confused/associated with Australia.

This.
NZ has such a strong worldwide identity, but it's flag is so similar to Australia that most outsiders don't know the difference.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
My Kiwi buddy and all his (I'm assuming also Kiwi) friends that commented on the post hate all the flags. I suggested they just use the All Blacks logo.

Pffff.. Damm. Why not ask some great graphic designers? These all look... Sad.
Black and white one is the best. But it's black and white..
Actually, that might be a good thing.

Not

Banned
phpz8ea4e4.-alofi-kanter-silver-fern-black-and-white.jpg

This one is the best. Drop that Western red white and blue motif.

I also like the one that looks like a sphincteral vortex

Darkangel

I like the current one the most.

Then again I'm also a weirdo who kind of likes the Red Ensign more than the Maple Leaf.

VegiHam

I like the black and white ones. 2 and 4 look too busy and we really don't need any more red white and blue countries; do something original!

1 and 3 look awesome, in my opinion. Not fond at all of the other ones.

Why do so many countries love red, blue, and white for their flags. I really don't get it.

injurai

Banned
2 is terrible, it looks like the MLB logo.

The ones with the black are the best because it exits Anglosphere tradition.

Current one is shit, and the sooner the Union Flag is removed from it the better, so my vote (if I can vote from overseas) will probably be for 4.

I can't help but feel New Zealand is blowing a great chance to be the first nation with a dinosaur on its flag.

Wales' dragon is kind of a dinosaur.

Because this stupid process is costing us 26 million dollars? And while I want a new flag that's a dumb amount of money for something that in all likelyhood won't change the flag because these 4 new designs are all worse than what we've got

Lets be honest, millions of dollars are wasted on things all the time(government/local government IT projects being a major one), so $26m trying to create a more recognisable brand for NZ isn't all that much.

Hackworth

And you want to change your flag because of...?

Edit: because of the similarity to the Australian flag!?
We (the people of New Zealand) generally don't want to change the flag because we've no good reason to..

The current government (and mainly that government's Prime Minister, Key) want to leave a lasting legacy that isn't the series of fuckups that keep coming to light and/or pushing bad/unwanted legislation (eg off the top of my head, the new Health and Safety legislation that doesn't improve Health or Safety in dangerous industries), so they started a flag change at a predicted cost of NZ$25 Million.

Generally the public barely gives a fuck, which makes the whole thing even more stupid, particularly as the money spent has already reached the predicted total cost and we've not even started replacing the flag yet.

Dazza

Is new Zealand no long part of the common wealth

Yes it is, the head of state is still the Queen of England. Changing the flag is stupid without being a republic first.
26 million wasted on the Prime Minister DonKey's ego trip, while he sells of state assets like power companies', water rights and state welfare housing. All the while feeding us lies about the TPP agreement. It would have been better spending that money on child welfare

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
Yes it is, the head of state is still the Queen of England. Changing the flag is stupid without being a republic first.
26 million wasted on the Prime Minister DonKey's ego trip, while he sells of state assets like power companies', water rights and state welfare housing. All the while feeding us lies about the TPP agreement. It would have been better spending that money on child welfare

Canada changed their flag without leaving the commonwealth

Generally the public barely gives a fuck, which makes the whole thing even more stupid, particularly as the money spent has already reached the predicted total cost and we've not even started replacing the flag yet.

One thing that I'm surprised I've not seen mentioned is that it's not just one flag. How will the civil ensign change? Or the naval ensign? Or the air force ensign? Or the police flag?

nz~civil.gif

nz~naval.gif

nz%5Eaf.gif

nz%5Epolic.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom