• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

We (the people of New Zealand) generally don't want to change the flag because we've no good reason to..

The current government (and mainly that government's Prime Minister, Key) want to leave a lasting legacy that isn't the series of fuckups that keep coming to light and/or pushing bad/unwanted legislation (eg off the top of my head, the new Health and Safety legislation that doesn't improve Health or Safety in dangerous industries), so they started a flag change at a predicted cost of NZ$25 Million.

Generally the public barely gives a fuck, which makes the whole thing even more stupid, particularly as the money spent has already reached the predicted total cost and we've not even started replacing the flag yet.

There is no doubt politicizing of the issue from Key's part but I don't think the notion that "no one" wants the flag changed is true. It's been been brought up in the past but never gained traction. The opinion polls seem to show that the idea does have a sizable group of supporters.

Jimothy

Who else has a black and white flag?

ISIS

debbie%20downer%20video%20clip%20blade7184%20happy%20birthday.PNG

Jaffaboy

I don't like any of those. It'd be better if it was the leaf thing just floating in the middle in white with a black background.

Aren't people going to regret changing it?
I mean it might look cool now, but we all know that is difficult to have a design that is timeless. none of those look timeless.
The fern looks cool and minimalist from the current standpoint, not sure how well it will hold up though.

We've been using the fern as a symbol for a century.

Griss

Anything but number 3. All are huge improvements over the current one. As someone who lives in a country with the Union Flag in the corner of our national flag I've often wished for it to be redesigned. Glad NZ are going ahead with theirs.

Apt101

I like #1, but I know next to nothing about NZ. They seem like a really proud people. I was expecting something bolder.

Ah my favourites didn't make it through. The standard Black with silver fern should have made it but option 1 is the best.

LOL at people talking about ISIS when their old flag has the Union Jack in it...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There were some good choices in the long list, but that final four is a waste.

m3k

My grandad said black and white looks like a pirate flag. I couldn't argue with that at the time.

I want a change and I don't mind any of those.

Ps. I took my now wife on a Maori tour... I never knew this but apparently the silver fern was used as a guide to direct night raids on other Maori tribes. The underside of the fern reflects in the moonlight. It was used as arrows towards another tribe which they were going to attack. It was used as a symbol of moving towards a common goal for the rugby team. I'm 50 50 about it being on the flag by itself.

The whirl, I think, is the unfurling fern, a symbol of new life and growth. Could be clouds as well.

For me, 1 > 3 >>> 4 > 2 >>> Current

I used to be a big fan of the 2/4 design but when I saw it in real life, not just on a monitor, I thought it looked like something that will age really poorly. Plus, I've started thinking that including a relic from the old flag (the Southern Cross) just seems like the wrong way to go.

1 and 3 are simple designs that I think will age far better. And I prefer the Silver Fern over the Koru because it has huge meaning to Pakeha, Maori and all of NZ.

PaulloDEC

I like 1, 2 and 3, though the black-and-white ones both come out on top for me. Pity the "Black Jack" design didn't make it through.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
None of them are better than the current one. Back to the drawing board.

ALL of them are better than the current australian I mean new zealand flag. I forget which, because they are the fucking same.

dejay

Banned
That may be but the design language in the designs with the fern on the first page are very modern and 'now'. Quite possibly not as timeless as one would hope for a flag.

Aren't all flags a product of their time?

The Union Jack is a combination of three flags, but it's not a direct combination. It's a stylised combination of the three, with some alterations in lines, which must have been seen as quite modern at the time. It's only through 200 years of use has it become timeless.

MLH

I'm British so my opinion is probably meaningless but I like the current flag.

I remember when I was a child and I saw the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Falklands etc. and I asked my dad why they had "little British flags" in them which led to a conversation over the history of these countries; I learned a lot that day about the British empire, current overseas territories as well as former colonies. I guess children might not notice that or ask those questions with a different flag which is a shame.

Aren't all flags a product of their time?

The Union Jack is a combination of three flags, but it's not a direct combination. It's a stylised combination of the three, with some alterations in lines, which must have been seen as quite modern at the time. It's only through 200 years of use has it become timeless.

I guess you are right to a degree, however the union flag is one of the more extravagant national flags of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom