• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I vote for #2. Different while keeping a strong sense of the current one through the colors. Swedish votes count, right?

Red and blue are colonial colours and need to go.

Black flag with white fern. thats NZ

g5I7AvhzAzG4D9umUdU74nA0UAuoR0w-g39vUnL1OvYlXIGEZM8CHF5x3a-r7yfyae9ZZXDe60_LA3JYD5P73VTErlCtaeppkQ7FXGB00aRAWO_4Ph4RO8K_3zC0F8dHo0y3AoL4JdOCX4ZyI1SHoPdYpNXcv0Wi6evhJbS4YlUpVJ-trH4=w470-h313-nc

I like this one better than the B&W in the OP.

Bernbaum

I'm British so my opinion is probably meaningless but I like the current flag.

I remember when I was a child and I saw the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Falklands etc. and I asked my dad why they had "little British flags" in them which led to a conversation over the history of these countries; I learned a lot that day about the British empire, current overseas territories as well as former colonies. I guess children might not notice that or ask those questions with a different flag which is a shame.
Yes what an absolute shame. All those poor former colonies of the Empire won't get to learn about the royal family and their inbred German heritage.

The Mule

1 or 3

1 is overall the best design and more "classic", but 3 is very distinctive and looks like the flag of a nation from the future.

rusticdog

Neo Member
Is there any significance given to the use of black and white in the suggested flags?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_colours_of_New_Zealand

Why the hell is this not it.

The official fern-only selection is retarded. Why is it two tone for no reason?

The Silver Fern is our unofficial flag, not sure why it was felt not to give the option. It is though heavily used by sports teams as well, maybe the idea we want to identify ourselves on that imagery offends some folk.

I've never liked our flag, so happy to see it finally changed.

I always find it funny how indignant the Brits get over us changing our flag, as you can see in this thread. I guess it's a source of pride that they can still see the remnants of their once great empire all around the world and it stings to see people actively try to remove them.

VegiHam

I always find it funny how indignant the Brits get over us changing our flag, as you can see in this thread. I guess it's a source of pride that they can still see the remnants of their once great empire all around the world and it stings to see people actively try to remove them.

As a british guy, I actually WANT you to change your flag. Don't tar us all with the same brush, ta.

Just not the red white and blue one please.

As a british guy, I actually WANT you to change your flag. Don't tar us all with the same brush, ta.

Just not the red white and blue one please.

Fair enough. Yeah, I'm not really a fan of retaining the same exact colours as the old flag, there needs to be at least some black on it.

You know UK, I am just saying, if it was America's symbol being removed from that flag, NZ would be getting Re-Democrazy-ized right about now. The whole world now thinks UK are a bunch of wusses.

DO SOMETHING!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I always thought the NZ and Australian flags were too similar as an outsider, so it seems to make sense to at least want something more distinct.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I don't particularly care for yet another red/white/blue flag, but white on black is horribly unappealing to me. The stark contrast and lack of colors make it seem like a lifeless and soulless corporate entity more than a living, breathing country filled with people and emotions. Get some colors on there!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Given those options, either 1 or 2.

But honestly:
Here are all the finalists:

My four favorites were
Silver Fern (red white and blue)
Unity Koru
Black Jack
Manawa (blue and green)

Of those only Silver Fern (red white and blue) made the cut (#2 in the OP)... but I'm starting to come around to the Black and White Fern (#1 above), simple and unique.
Manawa (black and green) was the best one by far, you dun goofed NZ.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What happened to the cool black one with the tribal style Union Jack? That's what it should be.

Of those, the third is the best.

Aske

1 or 3

1 is overall the best design and more "classic", but 3 is very distinctive and looks like the flag of a nation from the future.

Agreed. I'm only not Kiwi due to a technicality, so my opinion matters a lot. I say 1 or 3. Choose wisely, NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom