• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
We (the people of New Zealand) generally don't want to change the flag because we've no good reason to..

The current government (and mainly that government's Prime Minister, Key) want to leave a lasting legacy that isn't the series of fuckups that keep coming to light and/or pushing bad/unwanted legislation (eg off the top of my head, the new Health and Safety legislation that doesn't improve Health or Safety in dangerous industries), so they started a flag change at a predicted cost of NZ$25 Million.

Generally the public barely gives a fuck, which makes the whole thing even more stupid, particularly as the money spent has already reached the predicted total cost and we've not even started replacing the flag yet.

Why does it cost that much? Couldn't they have just loaned out the flag design duties to some university art class? Or an internet contest. What are they doing with $25 million?

Mr.Mike

One thing that I'm surprised I've not seen mentioned is that it's not just one flag. How will the civil ensign change? Or the naval ensign? Or the air force ensign? Or the police flag?

nz~civil.gif

nz~naval.gif

nz%5Eaf.gif

nz%5Epolic.gif

Just put the new flag in the corners of the old ones.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
Why does it cost that much? Couldn't they have just loaned out the flag design duties to some university art class? Or an internet contest. What are they doing with $25 million?

Anyone could submit a design it basically was an internet contest

The cost isn't really about making a new design, most of that money is going towards running the two referendums and all the organisation that goes along with them

Just put the new flag in the corners of the old ones.
Flag_of_the_Canadian_Army.png

File:Royal_Canadian_Air_Force_ensign.svg

Sure that's one option. But who decides, and does the southern cross stay there? What if the new design already has the southern cross, having two would be silly. It'd need a new design, more processes, more work, more money etc.

Well my point is that it's not just one flag to think about. I'm just surprised I haven't seen it come up in any media.

Hackworth

Professional consultants narrowing the field from however many flags got submitted to the four here, apparently.

What with them being consultants they picked the four most boring/safe designs possible, leaving out stuff like Laserkiwi and Pepe, which would have at least been amusing.

The fact that we have to sit through a year of narrowing down the list before we get to vote on the flags is bullshit, particularly as the votes are, in order:
1) which of the four new flags do you most like?
and then, assuming there's a majority vote for one
2) do you want to change the flag for this new one?

If the entire thing wasn't deliberately dumb as fuck, they'd have put the first public vote at the start of the process, and that vote would be:
1) Do you want to change the flag?

They'd have gotten a resounding No, and would have to spend political effort fixing state housing or responding to people pointing out that selling national assets was a stupid idea or actually listening to the voters saying that the TPPA is probably going to ruin NZ's ability to fight USA copyright holders and as a result dismantle significant sections of our health care system while pushing up prices of goods, particularly medicines.

What I'm saying is the National Party are a bunch of bell-ends and/or professional griefers.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sure that's one option. But who decides, and does the southern cross stay there? What if the new design already has the southern cross, having two would be silly. It'd need a new design, more processes, more work, more money etc.

Well my point is that it's not just one flag to think about. I'm just surprised I haven't seen it come up in any media.

Eh, canadian provinces (BC, Ontario and Manitoba) still bear the union jack

It's not really all that important

It's a tough one

1 is good on paper but I don't think it would look good on a physical flag. . The fern on a black backround would be better but I guess people might think that's a bit too all blacksy? I recognise the importance of the symbol in number 3 but I don't think it works on a flag either.

2 has a nod to new zealand's history without it being blatant like the current flag, so that'd be my pick out of those 4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They're all disgusting.

Aren't people going to regret changing it?
I mean it might look cool now, but we all know that is difficult to have a design that is timeless. none of those look timeless.
The fern looks cool and minimalist from the current standpoint, not sure how well it will hold up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom