• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

georly

You know whats funny, they holding this game so precious to their chest that the image is just one big gif repeated from E3 2014. Geez

Yeah, either zelda hasn't changed much from the 2014 reveal (hence the key art) or they're planning on blowing everyone's socks off by showing something crazy.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I was looking at e3.nintendo.com and is it just me or do the videos of E3 2014 Zelda stuff look like they might be cropped and zoomed footage of the game running on a Wii U (possibly for the E3 demo?)

Maybe it's just compression but it looks like there's more aliasing here and if you look at the clip of Link firing the glowing arrow the shadow quality looks like it's at a lower Wii U level. This might be nothing but I thought it was interesting.

EDIT: I did just notice that on the open field scene it does say that this footage is from E3 2014 on the bottom left corner.

Meesh

Yeah, either zelda hasn't changed much from the 2014 reveal (hence the key art) or they're planning on blowing everyone's socks off by showing something crazy.
I'm assuming the latter, I mean my socks are already off due to the cool art, so just about anything they show will leave me completely devoid of any clothing. This will be my first mostly naked E3, all thanks to Zelda hype and expectations. And my expectations are exceedingly high this time around...

RagnarokX

And? Those are super broad stroke descriptions of each title. There are dozen of contradictions and inconsistencies between them. Just look at the years and years of fans trying to parse together the timeline before Nintendo released the official one. It was a myriad of competing theories and guesses for years because Nintendo played fast and loose with the details between each game. They did whatever suited the game at hand best, not rigidly adhering to any set rule set or sequence.

It was taking a thread from one game and expanding on it in another, with a great deal of creative licence in how they went about it.
No, the timeline was well-understood by fans before Nintendo released Hyrule Historia and the official timeline released is what fans had already figured out based on the info from the games. The only timeline related issues anyone argued about and had competing theories about was the placement of the games released before OoT and the Four Swords games. OoT and the games released after it contradict ALttP, so Nintendo created a third timeline to fix this issue. Prior to this, fans argued about whether ALttP was in the Adult or Child timelines.

Apart from a few exceptions, every Zelda game released so far has had a clear place in a timeline. Zelda 2, the very first sequel, was a direct sequel to the first game that continued the story of the same Link. ALttP, the next game, was designed as a prequel to the first two. OoT was designed around the idea of making a game about the story in ALttP's prologue. OoT was forward-thinking, as they explicitly set up the split timeline concept in OoT's ending. MM is a direct sequel to OoT. WW is the most explicit non-direct sequel in how it takes place after OoT and it has 1 direct and 1 indirect sequel that are explicit as well. TP's story basically hinges on the consequences of what happened in the ending of OoT (Young Link has the triforce in his hand, which is how Ganon got the triforce in TP).

So your premise is incorrect. For the most part Nintendo has a fairly strong concept of how games relate while they make them. Skyward Sword was no more designed around a specific plot than games like OoT and Wind Waker. They build the timeline as they go like EVERY long work of fiction.

Smellycat

Reposting from the other thread:

The internal name is U-King? There was a rumor a couple of years ago that the Zelda WiiU game is titled "Unbound King" lol

The list is obviously fake but interesting

http://www.theparanoidgamer.com/nintendos-e3-presentation-leaked/

EBDJgCq.jpg

-Horizon-

King of the Hill?

Link gonna spread propane and propane accessories to the inhabitants of hyrule for all of their meat cooking needs. Taste the meat, not the heat.

Real prediction: Legend of Zelda and the Unseen Kingdom

RagnarokX

Reposting from the other thread:

The internal name is U-King? There was a rumor a couple of years ago that the Zelda WiiU game is titled "Unbound King" lol

The list is obviously fake but interesting

http://www.theparanoidgamer.com/nintendos-e3-presentation-leaked/

EBDJgCq.jpg
Hmm. Demise is a king and he's bound to the Master Sword...

I'm banking on the story relating to Majora and Twilight Princess due to the possible involvement of the Happy Mask Salesman, transformation masks, and the Wolf Link amiibo.

Guess Who

Banned
"King" being the codename fits with other recent Zelda titles which have all had playing card themed internal names. OoT3D was Queen, MM3D was Joker, ALBW was Jack, and WWHD was... also King, actually.

Pokemaniac

Slightly off-topic, but given N64 turns 20 this month, would it be wild to suggest that Nintendo might consider a 'best of' release for HD download?

They might release some extra VC stuff, (most of the N64 games actually are uprezzed, but I think they only go up to 480p), but I wouldn't expect much beyond that. Even that may be pushing it.

TannerDemoz

They might release some extra VC stuff, (most of the N64 games actually are uprezzed, but I think they only go up to 480p), but I wouldn't expect much beyond that. Even that may be pushing it.

They're setting on potential gold, though. Although I suppose that's something they've shown they're not arsed about. I'm hoping the e-shop on NX is something special.

If we're making subtitle predictions, I would like to offer The Legend of Zelda: Mudora's Book / The Legend of Zelda: Book of Mudora as my guess.

Most Zelda games are named after the premiere item, e.g. the Ocarina of Time, the Wind Waker, the Skyward Sword, etc. The only item that has so far stood out as having significance in this new game is the book on Link's hip.

There's one book that has played a prevalent part in the Zelda series: the Book of Mudora. It was most prominently seen in A Link to the Past, but apparently it's made cameos in other games. The book's Zeldapedia page reads: "This green book is a chronological bibliography of the creation, history and legends of Hyrule. The book also contains prophecies and laws of Hyrule, along with translations for the ancient Hylian Language." Sounds important, and sounds like it could have a backstory. Maybe this new Link is the original author of the book.

And here is how it may look in Ocarina of Time 3D:
latest

Notice the Sheikah symbol. It's similar to the one on Link's book in the new game. The weak link (heh) in this theory is that the new book isn't green. But oh well, I'm going to chalk it up to aesthetic purposes and submit this as a viable theory lol.

EDIT: But wait! Who is Mudora???? LOL

RagnarokX

If we're making subtitle predictions, I would like to offer The Legend of Zelda: Mudora's Book / The Legend of Zelda: Book of Mudora as my guess.

Most Zelda games are named after the premiere item, e.g. the Ocarina of Time, the Wind Waker, the Skyward Sword, etc. The only item that has so far stood out as having significance in this new game is the book on Link's hip.

There's one book that has played a prevalent part in the Zelda series: the Book of Mudora. It was most prominently seen in A Link to the Past, but apparently it's made cameos in other games. The book's Zeldapedia page reads: "This green book is a chronological bibliography of the creation, history and legends of Hyrule. The book also contains prophecies and laws of Hyrule, along with translations for the ancient Hylian Language." Sounds important, and sounds like it could have a backstory. Maybe this new Link is the original author of the book.

And here is how it may look in Ocarina of Time 3D:
latest

Notice the Sheikah symbol. It's similar to the one on Link's book in the new game. The weak link (heh) in this theory is that the new book isn't green. But oh well, I'm going to chalk it up to aesthetic purposes and submit this as a viable theory lol.

EDIT: But wait! Who is Mudora???? LOL

Well, the book of Mudora only appeared in ALttP. It's not exactly the one prevalent book that has stood out. Zelda 1 had the Book of Magic, which once obtained upgraded your Magic Rod. Twilight Princess had the Ancient Sky Book which you receive as a quest item. Other important books are Legend of the Picori and the Book of Seals.

It's questionable if the thing on Link's hip is a book. While it does look kinda like one it also appears to have no pages and looks like a tablet computer. It's also not green and the symbol on the Book of Mudora is the triforce, not the sheikah symbol.

As for who or what Mudora is...

A few possibilities to think about:

Gaepora
8h20OU0.png

Headmaster of the Skyloft Knight Academy. In his official artwork we see him holding a book similar to the Book of Mudora. The title of the book is "THEOLOGY" written in Skyward Sword Hylian text. It's possible he wrote the book and it was attributed to him, as the Japanese name is more like "Book of Mudora's writings." Gaepora looks an awful lot like Rauru, the sage of light from OoT, who is credited with being hundreds of years old and having built the Temple of Time on the site of the Temple of Hylia to house the Triforce and Master Sword. Rauru's alter ego is an owl named Kaepora Gaebora, whose last name is one letter different from Gaepora's. It's possible they are related or even the same person. Mudora could be a relative or a change over time of Gaepora/Gaepora similar to stuff like Jabu Jabu -> Lord Jabun and others.

Another posibility I think is much less likely is Mudora could be an incorrect translation in ALttP's time of Majora.

Not

Banned
Man, I've been waiting two years to see what else this game has to offer besides Link, a bow, a horse and some grass. At least the gates are almost open.

"Unbound King?" That almost seems like someone was trying to make "Twilight Princess" a little less girly-sounding

Top Bottom