• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Wind Waker HD videos

Tsundere

Banned
I've got to admit that I've never played this game before. However! I will be the proud owner of a WiiU when the bundle launches, so I'll get to play this gem of a game finally. Looks really good, but I do also really like the original art from the original game, I find it gives it a unique character.

Albo

Since the Wii Remote works so well as a pointing device, it would have been really sweet if Nintendo included an optional feature where you aim the cursor at enemies, objects or point of interests in the enviroment and Fi provided information and comments about them. Very fitting since she is some kind of AI like enciclopedia. Sort of like a Navy with more freedome where to point here.

Well she does that already, but you have to Z target enemies or objects then call her IIRC. I imagine trying to use trying to use your pointer at an enemy in the midst of battle when surrounded by enemies is less reliable and convenient than just pressing down on the d pad for for fi when already having an enemy targeted. I guess having it as an option wouldn't hurt though but it might hinder the sword combat.

oatmeal

Banned
If SS had voice acting it could have helped. Instead of a text bubble that stops the game, she just tells you.

Boom. Same shitty game device, less obtrusive implementation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If SS had voice acting it could have helped. Instead of a text bubble that stops the game, she just tells you.

Boom. Same shitty game device, less obtrusive implementation.

Not even voice acting. Have the bubble pop up on the bottom of the screen while you do your thing without stopping the action. Boom.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Not even voice acting. Have the bubble pop up on the bottom of the screen while you do your thing without stopping the action. Boom.

This is something I think FFXIII and FFXIII-2 did really well, having all variety of dialog going on and subtitled in the bottom corner of the screen while you run around and do things, instead of forcing you to stand still and watch it all.

ffxiii2_hcrux_03_thumb.jpg

Well she does that already, but you have to Z target enemies or objects then call her IIRC. I imagine trying to use trying to use your pointer at an enemy in the midst of battle when surrounded by enemies is less reliable and convenient than just pressing down on the d pad for for fi when already having an enemy targeted. I guess having it as an option wouldn't hurt though but it might hinder the sword combat.
There are millions of ways to implement that and easier ones if you actually build that in the design phases. Also you are not supposed to do that when you are taking sword swings, it fits more in the exploratory segments of the game.

But anyway, you said Fi pops up when you tap down on the dpad? Well then just press and hold down on the dpad, Link enters first person pointing mode (1st person viewpoint with him stretching the arm and pointing with the finger XD) aim the cursor and press B in what you want Fi to lecture you.

Like i said many ways to apply that no problems.

Tookay

I got the feeling they wanted to Fi to be some kind of omnipresent AI, kinda like a less sarcastic Jarvis with a flattened tone. Unfortunately they had no idea how to do this and just made her intrusive in the process.

In a lot of ways, Twilight Princess felt like a Zelda that was focus tested too much and Skyward Sword felt like one that wasn't focus tested whatsoever.

They both were focus-tested, just in different ways. TP was for what they assumed hardcore fans wanted (MORE OOT! "MATURE"!) and SS was for what they perceived casual gamers wanted (GAME IS HARD I NEED DIRECTION OH GOD WHAT DO I DO NOW).

AniHawk

They both were focus-tested, just in different ways. TP was for what they assumed hardcore fans wanted (MORE OOT! "MATURE"!) and SS was for what they perceived casual gamers wanted (GAME IS HARD I NEED DIRECTION OH GOD WHAT DO I DO NOW).

that's a pretty good assessment. i also feel zelda lost something with koizumi's absence.

i want koizumi to do zelda. i want aonuma to do whatever the hell he wants. i want the pikmin 3/nsmb guys to do 3d mario.

RagnarokX

Fi telling me a boss was likely beyond a boss door, one of many boss doors I had already opened, was the point it really hit that Nintendo went too far. I couldn't give the slightest fuck if it was done for narrative purposes and not tutorial; if it's the latter, it's intrusive and excessive hand holding. And if it's the former, it's intrusive, bad story telling. Zelda has always been at its best when it's letting you discover the adventure first and uninterrupted, secondary to any scripted narrative. Fi stands in the way of exactly that, trying to bridge the two and doing a dreadful job of it.

I think they were trying (and failing) to give Fi a quirky personality with those. I remember at least one instance where what she said made me smirk a bit. I mean the way she used percentages but wouldn't go to 100% certainty. I can't remember exactly what it was. But most of the time what she said was just a mild annoyance that took up a few seconds of my time.

Nerokis

that's a pretty good assessment. i also feel zelda lost something with koizumi's absence.

i want koizumi to do zelda. i want aonuma to do whatever the hell he wants. i want the pikmin 3/nsmb guys to do 3d mario.

Good point. Koizumi is an amazing designer, and I miss his presence in the series, too. Actually, I only just realized the person who directed the Oracle and GBA Zelda games also directed Skyward Sword: Hidemaro Fujibayashi. I wonder if he's also directing ALBW?

Meesh

Since the Wii Remote works so well as a pointing device, it would have been really sweet if Nintendo included an optional feature where you aim the cursor at enemies, objects or point of interests in the enviroment and Fi provided information and comments about them. Very fitting since she is some kind of AI like enciclopedia. Sort of like a Navy with more freedome where to point here.
This would have been the best way to tell the story IMO. It serves only to pique a gamers interest to investigate or explore at their leisure and alleviates any unnecessary handholding. Don't wanna "know" what's behind the door or want it to be a "surprise"? Don't point and click with Wiimote, it's that simple. Metroid Prime was great for getting players to discover the mysteries or it's world and the story with "scanning", it's much the same idea really and works well. Actually it gives incentive to scan and build the story with some unlockables if memory serves. Ex. Artworks and the like. Zelda should go this route if they're to revisit its old school heritage with open world exploration, that way any unnecessary narrative is shelved for meaningful character interaction and real puzzle solving in dungeons ect. A real story could take place that the player pieces together themselves simply by connecting the dots by "scanning" or investigating items/locations and talking to NPCs. It's a solution so simple that I think Nintendo will ignore it for a more casual approach if you will, as in more handholding for new players.

Top Bottom