• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

Kayleigh Madison checking in, at 7.5 lbs and 19.5 in:

j66W0.jpg

SL1SW.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Congrats! I swear, every hospital has those exact clothes. Mine did too. They look like burrito wrappers. I wonder how much that company pulls in in terms of sales.

BTW, anyone else's wife experience some post-partum blues? I came home to my wife crying calling herself a failure because the baby was crying. WTF? Only thing I could do was take my daughter and reassure her she's doing an amazing job and that her hormones are out of whack.

MjFrancis

You quickly learn that if you see those receiving blankets out in the wild, the parents stole that shit from the hospital. Or at least that's my assumption.

Also, beautiful baby Battersea. Congratulations!

Congrats! I swear, every hospital has those exact clothes. Mine did too. They look like burrito wrappers. I wonder how much that company pulls in in terms of sales.

BTW, anyone else's wife experience some post-partum blues? I came home to my wife crying calling herself a failure because the baby was crying. WTF? Only thing I could do was take my daughter and reassure her she's doing an amazing job and that her hormones are out of whack.

YES! don't mess around with this. Its very real and woman do not usually tell others about it so when it happens mothers feels ashamed etc etc and its a viscous cycle.

my wife had a very very bad ordeal with it.

everything is wonderful now though.

Takuhi

Ugh, YES. My wife had post-partem thyroiditis and it made the 9 or so months after our son's birth into hell for both of us. Make sure they check her thyroid levels during your follow-up appointments with your ob-gyn. Ours didn't so she ended up on anti-depression medicines that wouldn't work for her condition and only made things much worse.

Yes, absolutely. It's been a month and half and the wife still feels that way at times. It's tough but perfectly normal. Women go through incredible changes with pregnancy and birth, even more psychologically than physically.

Keep reassuring her that she's doing great and help with chores as much as possible. It'll help her tremendously to go through this phase and at the same time allow you to establish your role as a father.

Also it's perfectly normal that she doesn't feel as happy and adequate as she imagined she would be. It's important to not let guilt and shame take over if it's not the case. A real baby is often nothing like the baby she dreamt of. And in the end, for the better. I still can't fathom how amazing and surprising our baby girl is...

oktarb

You know what? The pacifier is the most aptly named object ever. We try not to over use it but man...named perfectly.

YES! don't mess around with this. Its very real and woman do not usually tell others about it so when it happens mothers feels ashamed etc etc and its a viscous cycle.

my wife had a very very bad ordeal with it.

everything is wonderful now though.

Ugh, YES. My wife had post-partem thyroiditis and it made the 9 or so months after our son's birth into hell for both of us. Make sure they check her thyroid levels during your follow-up appointments with your ob-gyn. Ours didn't so she ended up on anti-depression medicines that wouldn't work for her condition and only made things much worse.

Yes, absolutely. It's been a month and half and the wife still feels that way at times. It's tough but perfectly normal. Women go through incredible changes with pregnancy and birth, even more psychologically than physically.

Keep reassuring her that she's doing great and help with chores as much as possible. It'll help her tremendously to go through this phase and at the same time allow you to establish your role as a father.

Also it's perfectly normal that she doesn't feel as happy and adequate as she imagined she would be. It's important to not let guilt and shame take over if it's not the case. A real baby is often nothing like the baby she dreamt of. And in the end, for the better. I still can't fathom how amazing and surprising our baby girl is...

Good advice all around, my wife had it too. It can be serious stuff, my wife was hallucinating, thought that the dogs turned into wolves and other crazy stuff. She kept it mostly to herself too, she eventually went and got help.

aceface

My wife had 6 months of post-partum depression after our first kid's birth. Hormones aren't anything to mess around with and especially with the first kid there's a feeling like you don't know what you are doing. It was much better with the second kid thankfully.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks for the advice...so far I've been trying to do as much as humanly possible, doing all the cooking, cleaning, paperwork etc...also helping change a ton of diapers, taking the baby away when she cries so she can relax and hopefully sleep. There's probably more I can do.

I keep telling her to go out of the house for a few hours so she can just be out of the house and I'll take care of our daughter. The last thing I want is to make her feel trapped in the house, etc.

She's doing better today, and our daughter is thriving. She's not scary depressed or anything...just once in awhile starts crying.

CrankyJay

Banned
Good god. It took 3 oz of pumped breast milk and 1oz of formula before my daughter calmed down. Total meltdown. Is this normal for an almost 4 week old?

mrkgoo

Good god. It took 3 oz of pumped breast milk and 1oz of formula before my daughter calmed down. Total meltdown. Is this normal for an almost 4 week old?

That's quite a large amount, but every baby is different. And every feed can be different. A lot of guides give a volume per day, as opposed to per feed, as some feeds can be lighter and others heavier.

Something I've learnt is that all babies are different, and there are no 'rules'. Just guidelines.

mrkgoo

The typical thing to remember is you can't overfeed a baby. So you just keep feeding them until they're done.
A full baby is a happy baby.

Question: how rigorous and how long should we be sticking to a sterilising system? We're going to stick to sterilising bottle equipment for the first year, but for solids feeding we're washing and rinsing stuff.

Flek

Banned
A full baby is a happy baby.

Question: how rigorous and how long should we be sticking to a sterilising system? We're going to stick to sterilising bottle equipment for the first year, but for solids feeding we're washing and rinsing stuff.

normally 6 month should be ok - BUT we are also doing the safe 12m way

mrkgoo

normally 6 month should be ok - BUT we are also doing the safe 12m way

Oh yeah, I meant to say we're at 6 months, and while we're still sterilising bottle stuff (since we use it to store milk), we're just being very clean with stuff like bowls and spoons (not sterile per se).

CrankyJay

Banned
Interesting...my pedes said generally you don't need to sterilize if you have clean city water.

Anyway, my wife came to the decision that she's done breastfeeding...and that she's going exclusively to pumping, for her own sanity and to measure what Ava is taking in. She's already started stockpiling in the freezer.

aceface

Interesting...my pedes said generally you don't need to sterilize if you have clean city water.

Anyway, my wife came to the decision that she's done breastfeeding...and that she's going exclusively to pumping, for her own sanity and to measure what Ava is taking in. She's already started stockpiling in the freezer.

We never really sterilized anything with either kid.

There are breastfeeding nazis out there who would saying anything less than breastfeeding for a year is wrong but I don't blame your wife. It sounds like your kid is like my son and he just would feed all the time. It's a huge time investment. Just make sure you get plenty of formula stocked up.

My wife seems like she's ready to pop with our third any day now. Even though I've been through this twice before it's stressing me out. She's so uncomfortable and I just want to get the birth over and done with.

Fusebox

Banned

It doesn't matter how clean your city water is if your bottles aren't sterilised though. We're still sterilising all water and milk bottles at 12 months.

Hospital told us to sterilize so I was boiling water with the bottles and nipples for a month before I discovered the microwave sterilizer.

As far as I was concerned you can't be too careful. Plus it's my first kid so I was paranoid over everything.

Fusebox

Banned
Hospital told us to sterilize so I was boiling water with the bottles and nipples for a month before I discovered the microwave sterilizer.

As far as I was concerned you can't be too careful. Plus it's my first kid so I was paranoid over everything.

Microwave sterilisers are awesome, makes it so easy.

I don't know if there's a separate "Fertility-GAF" thread, but I thought a bunch of new parents might have some thoughts re: my questions about pregnancy and fertility.

My wife and I are trying to have our first. We JUST started trying. We're using one of those apps that estimates when you might be ovulating and tells you when you should really be trying. So far, it doesn't appear as though we were successful on attempt #1. Lots of thoughts are going through my head - what if we can't get pregnant?

I'm pretty sure I'm being irrational at this point - it takes a lot of people months (if not years) to get pregnant.

How about you guys? Did it take a while? Anything we can be doing to improve our chances, other than good diets, lots of "trying" in the appropriate window? Just be more patient?

We're both incredibly excited to have a baby, but both really worried about the possibility that it can't happen for whatever reason. We're both in our (very) early 30's.

Also, should I be doing anything else to prepare BEFORE we find out she's actually pregnant? Talking to doctors? Anything else I'm just not thinking about? We're not doing anything yet, other than thinking about living arrangements, job arrangements, and financial planning. Also thinking about one of those live-in baby nurses for the first couple weeks. A few of her friends did that and said its totally worth it. Like a mommy-coach and helper. I feel like we should be able to figure this out and have parents around that can help and give advice, but not necessarily opposed to having a real pro on hand...

Flo_Evans

I don't know if there's a separate "Fertility-GAF" thread, but I thought a bunch of new parents might have some thoughts re: my questions about pregnancy and fertility.

My wife and I are trying to have our first. We JUST started trying. We're using one of those apps that estimates when you might be ovulating and tells you when you should really be trying. So far, it doesn't appear as though we were successful on attempt #1. Lots of thoughts are going through my head - what if we can't get pregnant?

I'm pretty sure I'm being irrational at this point - it takes a lot of people months (if not years) to get pregnant.

How about you guys? Did it take a while? Anything we can be doing to improve our chances, other than good diets, lots of "trying" in the appropriate window? Just be more patient?

We're both incredibly excited to have a baby, but both really worried about the possibility that it can't happen for whatever reason. We're both in our (very) early 30's.

Also, should I be doing anything else to prepare BEFORE we find out she's actually pregnant? Talking to doctors? Anything else I'm just not thinking about? We're not doing anything yet, other than thinking about living arrangements, job arrangements, and financial planning. Also thinking about one of those live-in baby nurses for the first couple weeks. A few of her friends did that and said its totally worth it. Like a mommy-coach and helper. I feel like we should be able to figure this out and have parents around that can help and give advice, but not necessarily opposed to having a real pro on hand...

Relax. Took us 3-4 months. I forget. She was pretty crazy, wanted to go get fertility tests soon then BOOM! Pregnant.

My wife started taking pre-natal vitamins while we where trying, I thought it was whacky but I am against vitamins in general.

Hmm, probably 4 months the first time for us. The second time, less, probably 1-2 months.

Don't get discouraged when it doesn't happen right away. It devastated my wife when she wasn't immediately pregnant; she was irrationally worried she wouldn't be able to get pregnant. But it all worked out fine in the end.

Relax. Took us 3-4 months. I forget. She was pretty crazy, wanted to go get fertility tests soon then BOOM! Pregnant.

My wife started taking pre-natal vitamins while we where trying, I thought it was whacky but I am against vitamins in general.

Thanks. She's taking pre-natals, I'm taking regular one-a-day multi's (when I remember).

Someone else mentioned an over-the-counter test that can tell you when you're ovulating - not sure how well these work: http://www.clearblueeasy.com/clearb...ion-test.php?gclid=CPKCsYuTibQCFY5lOgod7x8ABQ

Hmm, probably 4 months the first time for us. The second time, less, probably 1-2 months.

Don't get discouraged when it doesn't happen right away. It devastated my wife when she wasn't immediately pregnant; she was irrationally worried she wouldn't be able to get pregnant. But it all worked out fine in the end.

Thanks. I know we're both being irrational in worrying this early in the game. It just seems like everyone I know has trouble, more than one couple we know needed some extra "help." You spend your whole life trying NOT to get pregnant, then decide you are ready and it can't happen - that is terrifying.

But no fertility problems in the family that we know of, no real reason to worry yet.

It took us years, we had to resort to .... um unconventional means to finally get it.

Make sure your wife knows the "window" we messed up a bunch of times and missed it because she got it wrong.

Oh and take prenatal vitamins if you're trying.

I think it took us 3 or 4 months for the first one, maybe longer. Just relax and have fun. Watch out for the second one though, it seems like we just started talking about having another kid and she was pregnant lol

aceface

My wife has never had a regular cycle and took clomid to get pregnant with our first. Gynecologist told us she would never be able to get pregnant without it...well she never took it again and we're about to have our third so he was full of shit.

Cooper

I would personally ignore the app, especially if she has cycles that aren't 28 days long. If she wants to learn the natural signs that her body is fertile, the book Take Charge of Your Fertility by Weschler is a great reference. She can also use the ovulation prediction tests you mentioned. They work by detecting a particular hormone that increases in amount just before ovulation. Though I must say, they never worked for me (always negative).

It took me just under a year to get pregnant the first time, and three months the second time. I definitely wouldn't worry after just one try.

Also, you say you don't appear to be successful "so far." Has her next cycle started? A sensitive pregnancy test can get a positive result a week after ovulation, and usually you need more like 10 days. You may just be testing too early.

I got my wife pregnant the first time we tried, with both kids. I can tell you the day and time of conception for each! Our results are not typical. Her sister had a terrible time. It took her 2 frustrating years. Her and her husband eventually did the whole rhythm/temp/moon cycle thing. Also, my wife's best friend took 5 years and some crazy fertility treatments.

I stopped masturbating for 3 days before each conception and then we screwed like rabbits.

CrankyJay

Banned
My wife got pregnant after a month of trying.

Try to keep it fun. I felt like a piece of meat sometimes when my wife was like "okay, let's hurry up and do this". I didn't like it the clinical feeling of it or it feeling like a chore on certain occasions.

My baby just hit 9 months on the 1st. He can now get on his hands and knees and rock back and forth but can only go backwards lol. He hasn't quite figured out he can move forward yet. He can also go from laying on his belly to sitting up on his butt on his own :). And he has 6 teeth now and is eating some regular food which we pureed.

Some awesome news which I forgot to mention in here is about his kidney problems. We had an appointment to figure out the date for our son's surgery to fix his reflux problem. The urologist comes in and says she's never seen anything like this before(his reflux was at a Grade V which was the worse) and she proceeded to tell us that his reflux problem went completely away on its own. In only 5 months. There was only a 5% chance of it even going down a grade. So we are very relieved that Owen no longer needs anti-biotics and doesn't need surgery. Such a huge weight off our shoulders.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is he isn't crawling yet and I was talking to a distant cousin yesterday and his kid is 9 months as well and is already crawling and can even sit up on his feet while clutching to things. I started to wonder why my son isn't doing that yet? Kinda made me feel like theres something I'm not doing or something. Any suggestions?

My baby just hit 9 months on the 1st. He can now get on his hands and knees and rock back and forth but can only go backwards lol. He hasn't quite figured out he can move forward yet. He can also go from laying on his belly to sitting up on his butt on his own :). And he has 6 teeth now and is eating some regular food which we pureed.

Some awesome news which I forgot to mention in here is about his kidney problems. We had an appointment to figure out the date for our son's surgery to fix his reflux problem. The urologist comes in and says she's never seen anything like this before(his reflux was at a Grade V which was the worse) and she proceeded to tell us that his reflux problem went completely away on its own. In only 5 months. There was only a 5% chance of it even going down a grade. So we are very relieved that Owen no longer needs anti-biotics and doesn't need surgery. Such a huge weight off our shoulders.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is he isn't crawling yet and I was talking to a distant cousin yesterday and his kid is 9 months as well and is already crawling and can even sit up on his feet while clutching to things. I started to wonder why my son isn't doing that yet? Kinda made me feel like theres something I'm not doing or something. Any suggestions?
Going by your comments about him rocking back and forth it sounds to me like he'll be crawling any day. When in doubt though ask your Ped. but I wouldn't be worried at this point. At a year? Sure.

mrkgoo

Awesome regarding news on (no) surgery.

As fro crawling, I wouldn't really know, since our baby is only 6 months, but from what I understand there are no rules, and that we shouldn't be measuring our kids for milestones because every child is wildly different. This goes for talking, baby noises, crawling, walking etc. Maybe some more seasoned can enlighten me.

My baby is over 11 months and she sat up on her own at 6 months and started crawling at 8 or 9 months. She did the rocking and going backwards that you described. She isn't walking yet but she can stand on her own when she holds an object (tricks her into thinking she has support). Her cousin was full on walking at 10 months. Every baby is different. Just have patience, he'll be fine.

Really glad to hear that his medical problems have worked themselves out.

Thanks. Yeah I was stunned to hear about the news I wanted to cry.

On one hand I want him to start crawling but on the other hand once he does I won't be able to stop him lol. Sucks we have such a tiny apartment.

Thanks. Yeah I was stunned to hear about the news I wanted to cry.

On one hand I want him to start crawling but on the other hand once he does I won't be able to stop him lol. Sucks we have such a tiny apartment.
It's a nightmare once they become mobile. We had to throw away all the old technical books we no longer use from the bookshelf and put all our games and movies from under the entertainment center on it. My office is a mess from stuff she just throws around and I have to put down obstacles that she can't crawl over blocking my PCs. She is trying her damnedest to bring down the Christmas tree and she shoots off like a heat seeking missile every time she hears the 360 disk tray open, so she can destroy it.

But with mobility comes a lot of fun too. She can how run from me when I chase her and make growly noises and bite her feet. She'll look back laugh/scream and start running. She can also now pounce and chase me as well. A lot of fun and will put a smile on your face every time you think about it.

Yeah our entertainment center has this flip down door and he loves to go over to it and try to get at it. I've also been more aware of the wires that's around the entertainment center so I'm trying to make sure he doesn't get into them. Thinking of just getting a gate and putting it around the entertainment center so he doesnt get into anything.

I am pretty excited about him crawling and what not because most days its just me and him in the apt(g/f works A LOT) so once he becomes more mobile I'll start taking him to more places like parks and what not.

CrankyJay

Banned

Can you please explain this kidney problem to me? My boss's 2 month old is having kidney issues and is on anti-biotics. He has been to the hospital several times with urine that smells like maple syrup and they pinpointed it to be a kidney problem. Did your son have similar issues?

Can you please explain this kidney problem to me? My boss's 2 month old is having kidney issues and is on anti-biotics. He has been to the hospital several times with urine that smells like maple syrup and they pinpointed it to be a kidney problem. Did your son have similar issues?

I'm not a doctor but a quick Google points out that the smell is the result of a genetic disorder, not sure what antibiotics would do.

yuna55

We went off birth control when we got married, but we never said, "Hey, let's try now!" God that alone took so much pressure off. Just doing our thing. It'll happen when it'll happen mentality. I didn't freak out each month that I wasn't pregnant, but took it as another month for us to get better jobs, buy a house, pay down debt, go to the doctor, eat better, work out more, etc. It was never stressful and happened at the best time, but it did take 3 years! lol If we would have made a bit more of an effort during ovulation, I'm sure it would've happened sooner, but it was honestly the perfect time for us.

Just try not to stress every month, and don't let it run your life. I think part of the reason it took so long for us was due to my highly stressful job. I had landed a much better, less stressful job and was pregnant within a month.

Top Bottom