• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

Our son was born on the 18th of December as a seven month premie. He's just over two weeks old now and doing well (breathing on his own, not jaundiced anymore etc.) Since then my life has revolved around being at the hospital and helping my wife express milk as though he's home with us, so we get the sleepless nights without the benefit of being able to hold or play with him whenever we want.

Having said that, his prognosis is good and I feel a tremendous sense of purpose that I was hitherto unfamiliar with. Looking forward to bringing him home, which should happen around mid February.

CrankyJay

Banned
My boy was born on the 28th as well. Something in the water? :)

We had a hellish couple of nights waiting for the milk to come in, finally caved and supplemented. Now the milk is in, but he is a fussy breast feeder, trying not to pump and bottle feed too much as it isolates my wife and makes breast feeding harder. Finally got some time with a lactation consultant and it was gold. Now I hope he will be as calm and sleepy at night as he is during the day. I think he just likes lights and noise. Oh, for 4 hours of straight sleep.......

Is there such a thing as daddy baby blues? I think I'm having it! Surely just a combo of exhaustion, stress, and true concern for the wellbeing of another human, but damned if it doesn't make me a weepy mess sometimes. Not as bad as the wife though, she for sure is having baby blues.

Pregnancy, the gift that keeps on giving :)

Yes, there is. The hospital warned me of it. Hang in there dad, and congrats! Enjoy the ride.

aceface

My boy was born on the 28th as well. Something in the water? :)

We had a hellish couple of nights waiting for the milk to come in, finally caved and supplemented. Now the milk is in, but he is a fussy breast feeder, trying not to pump and bottle feed too much as it isolates my wife and makes breast feeding harder. Finally got some time with a lactation consultant and it was gold. Now I hope he will be as calm and sleepy at night as he is during the day. I think he just likes lights and noise. Oh, for 4 hours of straight sleep.......

Is there such a thing as daddy baby blues? I think I'm having it! Surely just a combo of exhaustion, stress, and true concern for the wellbeing of another human, but damned if it doesn't make me a weepy mess sometimes. Not as bad as the wife though, she for sure is having baby blues.

Pregnancy, the gift that keeps on giving :)

The 28th was a full moon, which always explains everything.

GlamFM

Banned
Our son was born on the 18th of December as a seven month premie. He's just over two weeks old now and doing well (breathing on his own, not jaundiced anymore etc.) Since then my life has revolved around being at the hospital and helping my wife express milk as though he's home with us, so we get the sleepless nights without the benefit of being able to hold or play with him whenever we want.

Having said that, his prognosis is good and I feel a tremendous sense of purpose that I was hitherto unfamiliar with. Looking forward to bringing him home, which should happen around mid February.

Premie here aswel.

7 month too, she´s 6 month old now ( corrected ), so far no real problems. She could develop a little faster, but everything seems fine.

Picture taken on XMAS, Grandmother carrying her..

16Sxi.jpg

Premie here aswel.

7 month too, she´s 6 month old now ( corrected ), so far no real problems. She could develop a little faster, but everything seems fine.

Picture taken on XMAS, Grandmother carrying her..
She's gorgeous! Well done!

Our son was just transferred to a different hospital closer to home. He has a bit of growing to do. In the meantime, he has a way of looking concerned about everything.

Menelaus

Banned
5 weeks away. Starting to freak out a little bit. Wife is having contractions off and on, but we're hoping they are just stress related (defending her thesis this Thursday). If not, at least we're only 5 weeks out!

My wife is now 2 days past here due date and I'm at work while she's at home with our first child who's almost 4.

Phone call comes in a few minutes ago. Here we go. "Honey, Logan hit the input on the tv and now it says channel 4 and the tv isn't showing". Total facepalm. The wait continues for me.

Does anyone have one of those AngelCare Baby Monitors with the movement sensors that's supposed to tell you if your baby stops breathing?

Ours gave off a warning beep that woke me up last night and I turned to check the monitor and it looked like my daughter was breathing and rolling over, but then the thing just started going bonkers with sirens and warnings that she wasn't moving. My wife and I flew into her room and picked her up and she was fine.

I'm super freaked out now. I could have sworn I saw her breathing and moving before the alarms went off, but my wife was all "You were asleep and probably imagined it." I don't know. Does anyone else have one of these things and have experience with false alarms or anything?

Does anyone have one of those AngelCare Baby Monitors with the movement sensors that's supposed to tell you if your baby stops breathing?

Ours gave off a warning beep that woke me up last night and I turned to check the monitor and it looked like my daughter was breathing and rolling over, but then the thing just started going bonkers with sirens and warnings that she wasn't moving. My wife and I flew into her room and picked her up and she was fine.

I'm super freaked out now. I could have sworn I saw her breathing and moving before the alarms went off, but my wife was all "You were asleep and probably imagined it." I don't know. Does anyone else have one of these things and have experience with false alarms or anything?

I think that baby monitors aren't doing much good except for increasing parents' anxiety.

DJ_Lae

The few people I know who bought those Angelcare monitors said they'd never do it again, the number of false positives was insane.

We didn't use one but that doesn't mean I was any less paranoid when our first daughter was really young... I still checked if she was breathing periodically. If I had one of those sensors, though, it probably would have driven me nuts.

Fusebox

Banned

Yep we have the set with the two sensor pads and the video camera and screen. We rarely use it but the few times we did we had a couple of false alarms but I'd rather a false alarm than have it not work at all though. The good thing about the camera means I could tell she was fine before I even got to her.

My girl is just starting to take her first steps now at 13 months. She can stand up on her own but she gets wobbly when she tries to walk, I reckon we're about 2 weeks from having to upgrade all our baby-proofing to the next level.

Baby monitors are spotty to begin with so trusting one to tell you something is wrong sounds like the worst idea ever.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm over the baby not breathing/moving thing...I mean, I'll check occasionally, but she's been just fine for 2 months now.

We just have a Motorola video monitor with 2 cameras...you can use remote control to move the cameras. Pretty sweet.

SpecX

Man my wife just dropped shocking news on me today that she might be pregnant again. This would be our second child if true. If it is true, this will definitely change all plans for the year here and speed up some things we planned to do later in the year.

CrankyJay

Banned
Man my wife just dropped shocking news on me today that she might be pregnant again. This would be our second child if true. If it is true, this will definitely change all plans for the year here and speed up some things we planned to do later in the year.

Congrats!

SpecX

Thanks! I'm super nervous to see if she is or isn't. If so, I'll be extremely happy, but this day has been the longest ever just anticipating the results.

SpecX

Well it's official. Setting up an appointment with the doctor tomorrow to see how far along and start getting things rolling.

The few people I know who bought those Angelcare monitors said they'd never do it again, the number of false positives was insane.

We didn't use one but that doesn't mean I was any less paranoid when our first daughter was really young... I still checked if she was breathing periodically. If I had one of those sensors, though, it probably would have driven me nuts.

We've been using it for about a month and a half now and it just started giving us alerts a few days ago. We had another last night.

My daughter had breathing problems when she was born and we had an apnea machine given to us by the hospital for the first few months. They took it away in mid-November and we switched to the AngelCare one and had no alerts until a few days ago.

I'm now starting to suspect Olivia might just be rolling around in the crib too much and she's getting too far away from the sensor for it to register her breaths.

It's still scary stuff though.

Also, Congrats SpecX

GlamFM

Banned
She's gorgeous! Well done!

Our son was just transferred to a different hospital closer to home. He has a bit of growing to do. In the meantime, he has a way of looking concerned about everything.

He seems to be in great shape! - looks good for a premie. Usually the look like old men ( as did my daughter ).

I remember hating the time in the hospital, but getting used to it eventually.

Getting home after 2 month was the scarier part - you get used to rely on all the machines and monitors surveilling your kid that you feel kind of vulnerable at home.

Even today I still check on my daughter constantly when she sleeps.

Parenthood - stressful. ;)

You have a really cute baby.

Thank you!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Can't agree. There's nothing wrong with an extra level of protection that gives the occasional false alarm.

Can't agree. I've seen too many people turned into nervous wrecks because they're constantly watching their baby on the monitor.

Menelaus

Banned
I can't get behind the breathing monitors. Humans are robust little creatures, and if something is going to happen, it's going to happen. Maybe if the kid had prior respiratory issues I could see it, but not for a healthy kid.

crpav

Can't agree. There's nothing wrong with an extra level of protection that gives the occasional false alarm.

I agree with this non agreement. Nothing wrong with wanting a little piece of mind. What I or others want to spend money on doesn't concern or affect those against it does it? Our 5 month old recently started to roll over and sleep on his stomach. he would sleep face down in the mattress so we bought an Angel care monitor. Our(my wife and I) son, our money and our little more piece of mind.

crpav

Can't agree. I've seen too many people turned into nervous wrecks because they're constantly watching their baby on the monitor.

Maybe true but those people are going to be nervous wrecks regardless and nothing can help them other than learning to not worry so much. No monitor than they worry about possible baby not moving/breathing. If they have the monitor than they are constantly worrying about watching it....except the fact that there is nothing to watch on the breathing monitor. It goes off if a problem, that is it.

We have a breathing monitor and a camera monitor and we have learned to sleep without checking all the time.

Bii

Never understood the appeal of baby pictures and videos until now. A month ago I wouldn't have bothered. Now I click them just so I can go awwww

Same here. My attitude towards babies was always "meh" until I had one of my own. Now when I see other babies, I feel the need to playfully interact with them and share stories with their parents. haha

We've been using it for about a month and a half now and it just started giving us alerts a few days ago. We had another last night.

My daughter had breathing problems when she was born and we had an apnea machine given to us by the hospital for the first few months. They took it away in mid-November and we switched to the AngelCare one and had no alerts until a few days ago.

I'm now starting to suspect Olivia might just be rolling around in the crib too much and she's getting too far away from the sensor for it to register her breaths.

It's still scary stuff though.

Also, Congrats SpecX

We used it for the first kid and liked it, peace of mind and all that. Sure we'd get false positives occasionally but for us nervous, first time parents it was worth it. As you get closer to the birth date you are constantly bombarded with messages about SIDS and the proper way to have your baby sleep etc etc, it's really drilled into you.

Regarding your increase of false alarms, maybe take it out and re-install it, it could have shifted somehow. It's also true that as they grow older they move around more, but they're also less likely to stop breathing because they somehow get their mouth covered. Because your daughter had breathing issues maybe consult with your Pediatrician about how much to worry?

aceface

Ugh, I'm trapped in newborn baby hell. She sleeps (like a baby) all day while I'm working and taking care of my two other kids but is super fussy at night. I'm lucky to get two hours uninterrupted sleep. Now it looks like she has thrush. Wonderful!

CrankyJay

Banned
Ugh, I'm trapped in newborn baby hell. She sleeps (like a baby) all day while I'm working and taking care of my two other kids but is super fussy at night. I'm lucky to get two hours uninterrupted sleep. Now it looks like she has thrush. Wonderful!

Are you sure it isn't just dried milk/formula on her mouth?

My daughter got her 2 month shots yesterday, she handled it like a champ. Only cried for like 20 seconds. Had a little meltdown later in the day (I'm assuming from the baby tylenol wearing off). Last night was also her first nice in her crib in her nursery...up until now she was in a sleeper next to our bed. Slept thru the night but thrashed a lot.

Well guys, I'll be hanging around and following this thread since my wife over the holidays told me that she's pregnant!

This will be our first child. I'm both nervous and excited!

pubba

Subscribed!

Our first child is due on the 9 March. I'm both excited and terrified.

In the meantime I need to start thinking about girls names. We still don't know whether to choose a Thai or English name..

Double D

I am so over changing shitty diapers. My youngest is 16 months and she is the absolute worst diaper changee I have ever encountered. She does this masterful roll at the absolute worst time and I am literally juggling shitty items just to avoid a total fecal massacre. No amount of set-up or holding her down works. She's on some Houdini shit.

She's my third and my 4th is only 10 weeks away. I fear the imminent shit storm.

aceface

Are you sure it isn't just dried milk/formula on her mouth?

That's what we thought, but it's been there for like 3 days now and when I tried to wipe it off last night it would not come off. She doesn't seem to be showing any ill effects from it unless it's causing her night-time fussiness.

I am so over changing shitty diapers. My youngest is 16 months and she is the absolute worst diaper changee I have ever encountered. She does this masterful roll at the absolute worst time and I am literally juggling shitty items just to avoid a total fecal massacre. No amount of set-up or holding her down works. She's on some Houdini shit.

She's my third and my 4th is only 10 weeks away. I fear the imminent shit storm.

Oh god my two week old is a horrible diaper changer as well. She SCREAMS every time and also pees every time I get her diaper off. But she's sneaky about it...after I get her diaper off I'll leave it there for a bit because I know she's going to pee into it. But I don't want to stand around forever, eventually I get the new one on- invariably she will wait to pee until the new one is in place so now I have two wet diapers on my hands. A few times she peed on a new diaper then peed again on another new diaper so I ended up going through three new ones in one change. She's a challenging one, this baby.

mrkgoo

Our midwife thought out baby had thrush early on and got us some anti fungal medication. It was a nightmare to apply, but we tried for a little while. Never finished the bottle, but it went away on its own, so we figured it was most likely just milk tongue.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Oh god my two week old is a horrible diaper changer as well. She SCREAMS every time and also pees every time I get her diaper off. But she's sneaky about it...after I get her diaper off I'll leave it there for a bit because I know she's going to pee into it. But I don't want to stand around forever, eventually I get the new one on- invariably she will wait to pee until the new one is in place so now I have two wet diapers on my hands. A few times she peed on a new diaper then peed again on another new diaper so I ended up going through three new ones in one change. She's a challenging one, this baby.
Just be glad she is a girl and can't pee an arc straight up in the air all over the changing area and into her own hair.

My second son, Phoenix Greyson was born last night at 3:50 am. He weighed in at 7lbs 13 oz and measured just over 21 inches long.

Everything went really well and my son and wife are both sleeping soundly right now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Congratulations to everyone. We are expecting our twins. They are due in March, but will likely come early. One of each, great way to start off.

I will soon join you all in the ranks of the sleep deprived. Although she is already big and miserable and has a very rough time sleeping.

My little one just had her first birthday on the 8th. She's my second and compared to the first she's been a far easier ride. The first two months were the toughest as she worked out her sleep schedule but by month three she was sleeping 8 hours a night. She hit a speed bump at the 8 month mark where she would only sleep 4 hours a night but after two or so weeks of the Ferber method/sleep training she's been sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Here she is on X-mas morning:

Best advice I can give to parents is embrace a routine and stick with it. I was very loosey goosey with my first and that really backfired. The first two years were rough with very little sleep and a LOT of fussiness. We started a very measured routine for sleep and eating for this one and it's been a night and day difference.

Menelaus

Banned
So the wife is complaining about the baby "dropping" in the last few days. We're still 30 days out from the due date, and she says that he feels like he's going to fall out at any moment. Just curious at what stage your wives/gfs felt like this, if at all.

Top Bottom