• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen patch sizes are absurdly huge

It's the DLC you are downloading.

Some games from last gen also did this (Battlefield, GT5, Forza)

It's annoying if you have no intention of buying the DLC. The file sizes are a joke.

XMast3r

Banned
The download sizes are what makes me stick to physical copies. Unfortunately, beyond some optimization tricks (which takes longer dev time) it's out of the dev's control. These next iterations of gen 8 games are only going to get bigger.

erawsd

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I really went into this gen wanting to embrace the digital future. Unfortunately, I have a monthly 300gig cap so 45gig games with 5gig patches are not something I can "afford".

Its particularly frustrating since its been implied that much of the inflated gigs is due to uncompressed audio, which doesn't benefit me at all.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Was about to post this in snark. Patches are only as big as the code is to fix the issue. Next-gen games must have lots of issues going on that need to be patched.

Code is very, very, small.
The problem relies in the fact that big .diff for very large files, needed for efficiency, are needed.
If they could just overwrite lines of code, compiled or not, no patch ever would go over 100kb.
But they aren't sending source code - they're sending diffs for 4gb packs.

Recall

Will this improve over time once devs can figure out optimisations or will this always be so large? I'll be honest this is quite worrisome for myself and the paltry Internet speeds available to I.

foxdvd

figured this is a good thread to ask...

So I finally picked up an xbox one. Does anyone know how big the day one(and any other) patches are?

My problem is I am on a 350 gig a month limit from my ip. My 3 kids are home all day because of school being out, so they blasted my usage this month. I have 2 days left in this cycle and only 13 gigs of download left. They are with their mom this week so I don't have to worry about that, but I am hoping that I will get in on the Destiny alpha tomorrow and that will be roughly 7 gigs to dl. So does anyone have any idea how big of a patch I will need to hook this up? I am afraid to start it only to find out it is 10 gigs and at that point it is probably not safe to stop it.

Top Bottom