• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen pick 'em: Simbotics style!

Kangu

Banned
It's time to make your predictions for the next gen, but we're gonna do it Bill Simmons style. Basically using the Simbotics corollary you have to pick:

A) 5 Current gen hit games/ franchises which will become irrelevant next gen.

B) 5 Not so hot or brand new current gen franchises/games which will take their place.

C) 5 hit franchises which will remain on top for the next gen.

No need to be too specific regarding group B), especially since we don't know which games are coming, so 'new franchise from Capcom' or 'new 2D treasure side scroller will sufice.'

Here's mine:

A)
Splinter Cell: They'vre been milking it too much
Half Life: Sorry Gabe.
Whatever Naughty Dog makes: It's already not so good and no Jason Rubin for the start of a new franchise does not bode well.
Silent Hill: I love this franchise but it's practicaly there already. There's no where else for them to go.
Mario Kart: I used to love these games, Nintendo killed them good.

B)
I-8: Insomniac is ready for the big time.
PD0: Fun multiplayer FPS at console launch? All PD0 has to do is be good, not great, and it will be firmly established with the X360 fanbase.
New quirky REVo non game: Nintendo will come up with something, they always do.
Something by Clover: Or at least I would hope so, they're so damn talented.
Saint's Row: LOL

C)
Gran Tursimo: It's good to be the king.
Halo: Tripple wielding, 'nuff said.
Mario: Predictable, I know, but also inevitable.
Zelda: Same as above.
Metal Gear Solid: Only this time Kojima has to deliver on the trailer AND the game. (I personally loved MGS2 though).

So let me see your picks!

DeadTrees

But...but...how do you apply Simbotics to franchises when they don't have win-loss counts?

How are we defining relevance? US sales? Worldwide sales? The number of copycat games? Number of online players, if applicable? Sheer aesthetics?

Kangu said:
Silent Hill: I love this franchise but it's practicaly there already. There's no where else for them to go.

Disagree 100%.
There are so many directions this series can go in... not to mention possibilities to strengthen gameplay, keep raising the bar for character modeling/unnerving atmosphere, etc. etc. etc.
I think Konami learned a lesson by spreading Team Silent out between two seperate games at once (SH3 and SH4)- so SH5 should be a return to form and, once again, push the new generation systems right out of the gate as far as taking advantage of the new hardware.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
uh, i don't think i can come up with 5 per category:

A) mario -- the spinoffs are too numerous, 3d platformers no longer seem like a good idea, ead are slipping badly. i'm sure nintendo will still sell a lot of games that say "mario" on the box, but a new mario platformer will no longer be an event, and the franchise is creatively near death.

B) gears of war -- this is going to be huge. if only because it looks a dozen times better than anything else on 360.

elder scrolls -- oblivion is gorgeous, it sounds more accessible than morrowind, and it'll be available at launch. i think it's poised to break out on consoles.

killzone -- I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!1

C) er, probably most of them.

J2 Cool

A)
Half Life - I liked this pick somewhat. Simply put, Half Life was something amazing, it stood for a while as a game to learn from. But Half Life 2 comes out a LONG time after, and it's good, has some diehard fans, but not the same impact wise as HL1. And it came out near the end of the gen at that. Being on the pc really kind of blurs the idea of which gen it is also. I don't see HL3 coming out for a long time and HL2 isn't gonna stick in people's minds as long as it's predecessor. It could be forgotten or simply far less a force in next gen gaming.

Tony Hawk series - How much longer can they keep this UP!? Seriously, I don't actually think it will fall off exactly in sales completely, but I look for a WWE games drop off in quality. I mean, it's been the same damn system since 2. Let's face it. Oooh, added a move, spawns 3 sequels from a single move each game? Not to mention the developers seem to have no grasp of next gen visuals, which could really hurt sales on next gen sales. But of course they span from ps2 to gameboy color. Hit every damn platform available with every game. It's insane. I'll certainly avoid them completely next gen, if the rest of you won't

Driver - I don't know, did they exist this generation? I'm grasping for straws here. But they've already begun burning, should completely crash by next gen. There is no place for them. I actually think their best game since Driver 1 was Stuntman. Cool concepts, challenging, and less ambitious but easier to create. It was a lot of fun. I don't think the developers are dead, just the franchise Driver, which if it did attempt to compete would have to go against a billion other GTA clones. There history would very much be Gameday-esque, reaching some serious success in '98, then being trampled by Madden eventually and left as Roadkill.

Medal of Honor - I think they've been revealed finally as pretty weak developers. The original was ahead of the technology back on ps1. It pushed for realism in every way possible and authenticity. It really did rock too. Allied Assault was their other high point on the PC. Outside of that, they've been incredibly sloppy and frustrating games to play. I don't know though, sales for war games are always there. I just can't see those developers putting up a worthy netx gen effort though. No way

NFL 2K - Bwahahahaha!! I win on this prediction. :lol

Bonus Pick:
Lord of the Rings games - Something tells me declining sales and ammount of games.. Unless The Hobbit comes out :lol

B)
Lair - How many original next gen games do we know about even? A lot of sequels :lol Anyway, this looks real cool.

Project Offset - I don't know too many next gen games rocking like this one. Amazing concept art, engine, footage thus far, etc. Seriously looks amazing. I just hope this team finishes it with as many excellent touches as they've started. I've seen these independent projects before, and they never work out, but this one is INCREDIBLE. Don't think I've had faith one of these projects would work out before like I do for this one.

N3: Ninety Nine Nights - No clue how the game will really look or play, but one of the best gut feelings I've had for a new game. Certainly no cash-in, mainstream, blow 'em up, like The Outfit or Saint's Row.

Kameo - I'm almost certain it will at least be decent. I think the effects look really cool though, and it's one of the smoothest playing engines yet. Just good ole reved-up platform fun with bad art ;)

Gears of War - It's the favorite pick. Certainly deserves on the top 5 originals. I just don't expect it to blow us away though. I don't know why. It should be real impressive graphically at points but other parts of it will be outshined quick and I'm curious as to how deep the gameplay is. Still, should get 7.5-8 on the ratings at least.

Bonus Pick:
Alan Wake - Should be good.

C)
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Look at the TGS hype! Feeling optimistic are we? Seriously, nobody in the field is as far ahead as Kojima is imo, so he fits right into next gen gaming. His games are going to continue to push gaming from the front, while a lot of other developers and their games will be dragged along from behind.

GTA - I'm really curious as to how well they will push it. Last gen they did so before anyone thought the idea of a virtual world possible, and they did it better than anyone could have hoped it to be made. But still, it's not as refined as some less ambitious ideas, which are growing in ambition themselves while keeping the same refined and polished feel. And graphically, I'd even say GTA could have some trouble keeping up. They're engine was ahead of the time, and the graphics warranted what they were trying to do then. But now people will be looking for something incredible looking but that plays as smooth or smoother than the predecessors. If they crap out a Saints Row, I'll be seriously dissapointed. So I hope we see something special again next gen from Rockstar. Still, regardless, people will shell out money, as GTA has earned people's trust.

Zelda - I'm sure Twilight Princess will look good, btw, nice name for the return to maturity, but I'm really stoked to see what they could do next gen. Don't kid yourself, we're not going to see that Link/Gannondorf demo this gen. At least not at that level of visuals. I'd love to see something like that next gen though. Knowing Zelda's history, I expect some great gameplay, awesome visuals, and fun games though. Don't see any reason why that won't continue next gen at the same or greater heights of excellence.

Halo - They had amazing sales, huge production, and massive hype. It's going to get even bigger all the way around. I've not exactly been as prasing of Halo as everyone else. It's definitely quality, but I don't know about it being at the level people make it to be. I'm hoping to see something amazing from the team though to at least match the attention and hype they get. Bungie imo, is not as untouchable as Zelda or MGS's team. They want to market it as such, but I don't exactly agree with the hype and reviews. Still, there is no doubt they're quality games, and there's no doubt the success will continue.

Gran Turismo - Graphically, they're a powerhouse. As a franchise, they're incredibly well known and get huge sales. Gameplay wise, for car enthusiasts, they're the best. You'll definitely feel the impact when they hit next gen. I'm expecting the best looking racing game on the market at that time. Don't think there's any doubt.

Bonus Pick:
Madden Football - I'd like to say Mario, but it's impact isn't there as much as it should be. They cash in on the successful off brand Mario games I guess, but I'm only expect one or two Mario games. Hopefully something back in the castle. I'd go nuts for that. But, the last pick or bonus pick or whatever goes to Madden. They're better than Tony Hawk games imo, in that they improve quite a bit year to year actually. Take a year off, rent the newest version, and you'll want to buy it if you're a football fan. Happened to me twice this gen. Also, I think they're more likely to adapt graphically to this gen than THPS. Wtf is up with the video from Madden 360?? No clue. The rumor is they're holding till PS3 to really put a full focus into next gen. Eventually they will though and will still be a very quality football game. I'm hoping they create a new next gen engine though, with some amazing animations and a bad ass running game. It's good certainly, but I think they could be great. Just give them till PS3 launches. No offense to 360, just that EA want your money and will put some product out there for it. Not that they don't care about their product, they just put all that care into the main project they're working on. If there's still a current gen system selling really well, that's where it will go.

Kangu

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Disagree 100%.
There are so many directions this series can go in... not to mention possibilities to strengthen gameplay, keep raising the bar for character modeling/unnerving atmosphere, etc. etc. etc.
I think Konami learned a lesson by spreading Team Silent out between two seperate games at once (SH3 and SH4)- so SH5 should be a return to form and, once again, push the new generation systems right out of the gate as far as taking advantage of the new hardware.

More graphics, more atmosphere, but the same old gameplay. The main character's incompetence at fighting is at the same time a strength and a weakness of the Silent Hill games, and I don't see how they can evolve it without eliminating fear ala RE4.

Top Bottom