• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

I find it difficult to believe that Sony invested so much on Navi, enough to get it exclusively for PS5. Why would they fund AMD R&D for a chip they can only use on a console? Even Navi mobile won't be suitable for TVs/phones compared to ARM offerings.

I find it difficult to believe that Sony invested so much on Navi, enough to get it exclusively for PS5. Why would they fund AMD R&D for a chip they can only use on a console? Even Navi mobile won't be suitable for TVs/phones compared to ARM offerings.
Sounds like Cell in a way, doesn't it?

Maybe Navi secret sauce (hardware RT?) is a (timed) exclusive. ;)

Btw, Maxwell is scalable all the way down to mobile SoCs (Tegra X1), so maybe Navi has similar efficiency ("Maxwell sauce").

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't sound like enough time to get it inside of a console.
Console can have the Navi core with any CU count they wants.

There is no relation between AMD Navi consumer cards and AMD Semi-custom business except the clients can use any available GPU part from AMD.

Console can have the Navi core with any CU count they wants.

There is no relation between AMD Navi consumer cards and AMD Semi-custom business except the clients can use any available GPU part from AMD.
You are right to a point. There is a certain amount of power / heat / MSRP compensation that needs to be considered on AMD's customers part. That has been echoing here and there throughout the thread.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Copy from ERA.

I work in the Tools group at a developer large enough to now have the early next gen PS and XBX dev kits.

- The Sony inserts made a big deal about their high-speed storage, and they included a demo of Spider-Man that I assume is the same one that Cerny referenced. We have our own game data asset “loading/streaming” stress test, and we ran this for both dev kits. The PS showed a major performance advantage of approximately 30% faster loading until the highest resolution textures were enabled, which brought the performance down much closer to what the XBX showed. While they both have SSDs, it does seem that the PS may have some special magic or “sauce” to gain some additional advantage here.

- Sony also mentioned next gen audio in their inserts and included some sample demos. Whatever they are doing here does sound and almost “feel” like next gen Sonrisa The audio demo included a toggle to enable/disable RT.

- The Xbox inserts mentioned an architectural focus (combination of hardware/software) for RT, AI and frame rate. The only sample demo application provided appears to be an updated version of that ‘Insects’ demo that they released for the Xbox One X. I have to admit that this little demo is pretty crazy what the lighting and shadows look like in this.

- We ran our internal demo stress test application (think ridiculous number of graphic and physics effects being applied) against both dev kits, attempting to target 60 fps. Both seemed to be the same locked 60 performance at 1080p and 1440p. XBX showed a performance difference at 4K on our test at least. It was able to maintain a nearly locked 60 with only an occasional dip, with the PS in the low 50s.

- We also have a DirectX 12 specific performance test that we run and profile using the Microsoft PIX. The XBX was able to render at 4K resolution with nearly locked 60 fps for a demo that we have run with wildly inconsistent results using even the more powerful current desktop graphic cards.

SonGoku

I think Sony funded R&D for their own customization/secret sauce
Another possibility is that in exchange for Sony investment they get a discount on the APU

Ar¢tos

Sounds like Cell in a way, doesn't it?

Maybe Navi is a (timed) exclusive. ;)

Btw, Maxwell is scalable all the way down to mobile SoCs (Tegra X1), so maybe Navi has similar efficiency ("Maxwell sauce").
They should be ditching their (overpriced) TV and phone business, not trying to make excuses to keep those money pits alive.

SonGoku

That doesn't sound like enough time to get it inside of a console. They have to mass produce and test these things soon.
How so? Consoles are not ruled by AMDs discrete card release date
PS4Pro launched same year as the RX 470 with Vega features
XboneX launched the same year as the RX 580

edit: And its not like they are gonna put an off the shelf GPU die in their APU.

Last edited:
Consoles APUs will be taped out by the end of this year and manufacturing will start in mid-2020, as usual.

We still don't know if they're gonna be monolithic chips or something else...

demigod

MilkyJoe

New pastebin

next generation console gpu specs
me not with Microsoft or Sony but with AMD
to my knowledge
xbox 1 1536 stream processors (active)
xbox 2 around 3072 stream processors (active)
playstation: 2560 stream processors (active)
gpu clock speeds probably below 1.6 ghz

SonGoku

New leak
Lockart: 512 stream processors (active)
Snek: 3840 stream processors (active)
PS5: 3840 stream processors (active)

GPU clock speeds probably above 1.8Ghz

Last edited:

Lacix

That is pretty low if true :(

That can't be true 2560 stream processor is the same as in the XBOX ONE X.

I believe in the 12.9 TFlops leak. (going to 7nm gives more space for stream processors)

XBOX ONE XGPGPU (AMD) = (40 CU * 64 cores * 2 flops) * 1172 MHz = 6000,64 GFlops

PS5GPGPU (AMD) = (56 CU * 64 cores * 2 flops) * 1800 MHz = 12904,2 GFlops

1.8 GHz maybe a little too much. (if the GPU is 1.6 GHz the number goes down to 11,5 TFlops)

Sony probably worked closely with AMD to ensure direct hardware compatibility with PS4 for back compatibility. Plus a few extra tweaks here and there. Not some silly magic sauce :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I believe in the 12.9 TFlops leak. (going to 7nm gives more space for stream processors)

XBOX ONE XGPGPU (AMD) = (40 CU * 64 cores * 2 flops) * 1172 MHz = 6000,64 GFlops

1.8 GHz maybe a little too much. (if the GPU is 1.6 GHz the number goes down to 11,5 TFlops)
Isn't 1.8Ghz the maximum? If so I would think 1.4-1.6

SonGoku

I was responding to this:

"That doesn't sound like enough time to get it inside of a console. They have to mass produce and test these things soon"

There's still PLENTY of time. We're currently in mid-2019.
I agree but can you explain the difference, im curious lol

They'll definitely need vapor chamber cooling to reach that sweet, almost ~13TF target.

Sony will play the Teraflop numbers to their favor, just like they always do when a new gen starts (PS3, PS4).

I agree but can you explain the difference, im curious lol
The difference between tape out and actual production on TSMC for example?

Tape out basically means that the chip design has been finalized in the laboratory:

Manufacturing happens when they send the design to the chip foundry to be printed on wafers. This doesn't happen immediately, because they need to test it first and find out any potential hardware bugs.

ANIMAL1975

They'll definitely need vapor chamber cooling to reach that sweet, almost ~13TF target.

Sony will play the Teraflop numbers to their favor, just like they always do when a new gen starts (PS3, PS4).
Vapor chamber is ez if they target $500 or take small loss.
What about that Sony cooling patent we saw a few days ago? Any of you can guesstimate if it could do the job?

Ovech-King Ovech-King that's actually my brain in the reactions to your post,... it literally popped out 🤕

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

xool

What about that Sony cooling patent we saw a few days ago? Any of you can guesstimate if it could do the job?

99.99% no. tbh patent doesn't make a ton of practical sense - why not just put the chip on the other side of the circuit board [edit unless you are making an ultraslim device - like phone] (sometimes things get patented because they can, not because they are useful)

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

99.99% no. tbh patent doesn't make a ton of practical sense - why not just put the chip on the other side of the circuit board (sometimes things get patented because they can, not because they are useful)
Thanks, i was hoping that it would be some groundbreaking new stuff that could do the trick, but not tech savvy enough to interpret that by all means lol

Ar¢tos

I've put a spec analysis in the comments of these rumored devkit parts infos :

Devkit parts

Those seems reasonable for 500$ I think
79082c53ef42bdc500f5f182cef6e32a6d0a052c0f613ffdf61525d3c855c0db.jpg

99.99% no. tbh patent doesn't make a ton of practical sense - why not just put the chip on the other side of the circuit board [edit unless you are making an ultraslim device - like phone] (sometimes things get patented because they can, not because they are useful)
Save space for the disc drive?

MS will announce the PS6 (or PS7?), it will be a cloud-only console hosted in Azure datacenters. No kidding.

Remember their partnership...

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So if the Pastebin is to be believed and Sony is using Navi, while MS is using Vega 2, that's not exactly bad news for MS. Vega 2 is an incredibly powerful GPU and for all we know is better than Navi.

So if the Pastebin is to be believed and Sony is using Navi, while MS is using Vega 2, that's not exactly bad news for MS. Vega 2 is an incredibly powerful GPU and for all we know is better than Navi.
"Better" in terms of what? Rasterization? Efficiency? Software-based vs hardware-based RT?

Vega is a compute monster, but it's very power hungry as well. Just calling spade a spade.

Let's say that Sony hits 13TF and MS miraculously reaches 15TF. How many watts do you think they would need for that?

Vega will have less efficiency than Navi, just like with every old vs new GCN microarchitecture comparison.

xool

I've put a spec analysis in the comments of these rumored devkit parts infos :

Devkit parts

Those seems reasonable for 500$ I think
Great - if it's fake they did a good job.

What it said
Summary

Notes
monolithic die ~22.4mm by ~14.1mmdie size 316mm2close to people's expectations
16 Samsung K4ZAF325BM-HC1832 GB GDDR6 @ 18Gb/s1152 GB/s bandwidth WOW!

576 GB/s because clamshell mode
memory vrm seems like overkilldevkit overengineered - nothing to see here
3 Samsung K4AAG085WB-MCRC, , 2 of those close to the NAND acting as DRAM cache3 x 2GB DDR4So 2GB DDR4 for OS, and 4GB as SSD cache - this must be Sony's secret sauce for load times
4 NAND packages soldered to the PCB which are TH58LJT2T24BAEG from ToshibaIt's NVMe SSD 4TB 2TB totalObviously more than we'll get in baseline console [got the NAND sizes wrong first time - they're 512GB each, not 1TB]
PS5016-E16 from PhisonPCIe Gen 4.0 controllermakes stuff work . nothing to see here

Sounds good.

Suprised about the monolithic die - I was expecting chiplets on an interposer - maybe it still is but they didn't take the lid off.

Can someone check I got the bandwidth calc. right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom