• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's 12 Teraflops RDNA. I don't think Microsoft would be quiet if there was some wrong interpretation of their statements related to specs that would make the actual detailed specs reveal a big letdown moment.

But it makes sense for them to be quiet if they actually are 12 teraflops RDNA, so people will keep talking about the specs and have the crowd go wild when they are revealed.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I think it's 12 Teraflops RDNA. I don't think Microsoft would be quiet if there was some wrong interpretation of their statements related to specs that would make the actual detailed specs reveal a big letdown moment.

But it makes sense for them to be quiet if they actually are 12 teraflops RDNA, so people will keep talking about the specs and have the crowd go wild when they are revealed.

I'll avatar bet anyone who actually thinks Series X or PS5 is 12 Tflops.

Dokku

Team 12tFlop Navi is gonna be in so much butthurt when things are cleared up that I recommend investing in suppository stocks, because that shit is gonna soar higher than bitcoin.

I imagine that was the reason Lockhart was in flux. As soon as MS knew they couldn't match the overall specs of PS5 they had to give it the ok.

If they can't beat Sony on specs they have to win on price. But I don't see them lowering it on XSX. That just furthers the public perception of it being worse. So in comes Lockhart.

Hmm..hadn't really considered that. There is such a thing as pricing too low. It could indeed be why we've been hearing a lot about Lockhart. Thing is, I don't think Lockhart is the answer to that (possible) problem. In fact Nintendo's already shown what the answer to that usually is: super-solid exclusives marketed very well and with big fanbases to capitalize off of.

Outside of Halo Infinite though I don't think there's any other 1st-party IP MS has of that caliber unless they crate-dig Rare's stuff. Specifically like Diddy Kong Racing, Conker, Banjo-Kazooie etc.

With all these predictions regarding PlayStation 5 I love how everyone is shooting for the move to downplay the Xbox. This will probably be a 12TF RDNA vs a 12.1 TF RDNA situation. That dev kit was atrocious but this design for the XSX to be very practical for airflow. I have a feeling Sony will be form over function.

I still personally think PS5 will be a bit more over XSX than 12.1TF, but probably below 13TF. That said I think PS5 will be very much a functionally solid system.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Casting my vote for the 2070 tier (8.29-9.21) after Phil Spencer stated 2x the GPU performance of Xbox One X :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
That would be 2060 super. Also why would lockheart be 4tf half the power for 1/4 the resolution. The 4tf-12tf makes sense to be case for lockheart not 4-8 or 4-9tf. If this these are under 10tf they will be more under powered than last generation. I don't want to hear about efficiency. Xenos to Polaris was efficiency gains but was way under powered. They would be at lower end PC cards of fall 2020.

Norse

All this debate over the xsx being rdna 12TF and this threads poll doesn't even mention rdna in any of the choices. Hmm

Stuart360

That would be 2060 super. Also why would lockheart be 4tf half the power for 1/4 the resolution. The 4tf-12tf makes sense to be case for lockheart not 4-8 or 4-9tf. If this these are under 10tf they will be more under powered than last generation. I don't want to hear about efficiency. Xenos to Polaris was efficiency gains but was way under powered. They would be at lower end PC cards of fall 2020.
Thats actually a good point, if Lockhart actually exists, and i dont think it does, not in the rumoured sense. Imo Lockhart will end up just a digital diskless XSX, if it exists at all.

VAL0R

Banned
You mean tflops right?

Loser has to use any avatar the winner decides for 3 months, wanna do it?
As long as it isn't inappropriate I will. Nothing sexual, suggestive, profane, blasphemous, etc. I'm a serious Catholic and won't use an avatar that offends my religious sensibilities. Otherwise, I'm game. Are you cool with that stipulation?
Edit:
And yes, tflops
Edit 2:
If you are OK with that. Then we have a deal!

Last edited:

Racer!

Team 12tFlop Navi is gonna be in so much butthurt when things are cleared up that I recommend investing in suppository stocks, because that shit is gonna soar higher than bitcoin.

Of course it is 12TF Navi. Phil wouldnt say it otherwise. To measure efficiency would require you to benchmark a gazillion other parameters. Theres is an industry standard way of measuring processing power, and thats with operations per second.

The reason Digital Foundry doubt it, is because they have bet their reputation on it being being 8-9 Navi TF.

Last edited:
As long as it isn't inappropriate I will. Nothing sexual, suggestive, profane, blasphemous, etc. I'm a serious Catholic and won't use an avatar that offends my religious sensibilities. Otherwise, I'm game. Are you cool with that stipulation?
Edit:
And yes, tflops
Edit 2:
If you are OK with that. Then we have a deal!

It looks like we have a Winner, folks lol

I can help You choosing an avatar for him

Racer!

It looks like we have a Winner, folks lol

I can help You choosing an avatar for him

How about this?

microsoft-fat-avatars.jpg

Stuart360

The more i think about it, the more i feel that some people are right when they are saying its 9-5-10tf RDNA. I mean if it was 12tf RDNA, why wouldnt Phil come out and say its 12tf, instead of saing 8 times the OneS and 2 times the OneX?. Well he's not going to say 'it has 10tf of power, but with this new RDNA tech, its really the same as 12tf on GCN' is he?.
Still 12tf GCN (or the equivelant) is still pretty impressive, and a lot more than a lot of people thought in the poll.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
The more i think about it, the more i feel that some people are right when they are saying its 9-5-10tf RDNA. I mean if it was 12tf RDNA, why wouldnt Phil come out and say its 12tf, instead of saing 8 times the OneS and 2 times the OneX?. Well he's not going to say 'it has 10tf of power, but with this new RDNA tech, its really the same as 12tf on GCN' is he?.
Still 12tf GCN (or the equivelant) is still pretty impressive, and a lot more than a lot of people thought in the poll.

They were not giving any specs so why would he give the TF number. Those are coming later at a MS event. It would been foolish Sony could came out next day said well ours is more TFs killing any positive buzz.

Stuart360

They were not giving any specs so why would he give the TF number. Those are coming later at a MS event. It would been foolish Sony could came out next day said well ours is more TFs killing any positive buzz.
Well its not exactly hard to work out when he says over 8 times the OneS and twice the OneX is it?, and thats kind of my point. The 12tf is easy to work out, so why not just say it?, well he couldnt say it if its really 9.5-10tf RDNA.

Last edited:
Get you some mod confirmation then, PM them proof and no other eyes will ever see it but they'll give a yay or nay.

Mod of War Mod of War ?

I dont think the mods should be partaking in this.

I mean I am not hurting anyones feeling doing what Im doing and I am not disrespecting anyone.

At the end of the day its peoples choice to believe in me or not. I am not forcing You to do so and I dont feel offended by doubters. I actually find It Very reasonable and logical to not give credits to someone they have no Idea who he/she is.

I stand with my leak PSM 13.02.2.0 tho

Stuart360

Well no offence to the resident, and gowing, list of 'leakers' and ITK's, but i still remember last gen and how many insiders insisted XB1 was more powerful than PS4, even on the morning of the E3 2013 reveal (the thread is probably still in the Graveyard section by the way). So i dont really believe much of it to be honest. I mean i'm sure there IS some legitimate 'Insiders', but maybe 1 or 2, and thats it.

Most will just establish that they have inside info then post info , speaking of yourself as a insider seems kinda weird

I perfectly understsand your point.

Some people might see me as delusional but I try to treat people in a most politely way as possible and even make some jokes Just for the sake of keeping a friendly and respectable debate

bitbydeath

It was mentioned in the video ArabianPrynce ArabianPrynce posted above that MS will steer clear of TF numbers as it’s going to be too confusing from a Lockhart perspective.

Also they probably wouldn’t want to easily give away that PS5 is more powerful.

PS5:

128GB ReRam with 25.6GB/s read speed and 9.6GB/s write, + 1TB NVMe SSD.

In 2014, Sony made a breakthrough in ReRAM by using cheap copper. In 2017 they achieved more than 100gb through Crosspointing.

Sony's current version where they achieved 128gb is on 20nm. 20nm is a 2013 technology and it's no longer expensive today where many fab owners are abandoning them to move to a more advanced processes below 10nm.

It's really just a question of whether Amigo Tsushui was grandstanding when he said Sony will commercialize ReRAM in 2020. A question of whether it is indeed ready for primetime.

"Persistent storage should be a true revolution in content generation. I think it can completely change how games are made (level design, world building)." That's what a game developer told me when I asked his opinion about ReRAM.

Last edited:
From an insider perspective, its actually quite funny this whole discussion about TFs, seeing how one side of the coin already Lost but Just refuse to believe in their loss.

I really want the official infos to be delivered onde and for all

A better cpu would be trumpeted by MS though. So a TF loss is not the complete picture.

This is my thinking also , devs would get a chance to rethink how they create games ,

Except the 2014 rumor article about ReRAM in the ps5, you are the very first person I've read who speculated about ReRAM in the PS5. Do you know something? (i accept vague answers)

You actually inspired me to data mine about ReRAM and luckily saw that 8 hour long video of the Persistent Memory Summit where Amigo Tsushui did a presentation.

Dilusha117

Neo Member
IMO, regardless of Tera flops neither Xbox nor PS will run every future title in native 4K 60 fps. They will be around 30 fps.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
but you need to believe in science and logic. a gpu under 250mm^2 and under 200watts doing 13 rdna tflops?
either way i think ps5 will be more powerful BUT they will be much closer in power than last time. maybe ps5 is like 10% more powerful.

HBM2 will be the reason of smaller silicon. Lower consumption and less heat.

I really wish HBM2 is real 🤣

sinnergy

It becomes very simple, heat can only be managed in some ways, you see Xbox has it designed to run hot very hot, if Sony’s box is smaller and has less room for cooling or looks like nothing like the dev kit , you can bet it runs slower and less hot which translates to power, lets just wait for their design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom