• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco_

Not something normally faked and Nibel is reliable guy.

Welp, GDC is out too. For those insiders who pegged a reveal soon or even in Feburary, better hope for a State of Play...
But these virus caused delays are helping the "fake insiders". As shitty as it sounds, it's giving them an out.

llien

It is a cooling system that pumps liquid (or gas) similar to a liquid cooler for a CPU but without the need for a pump to move the liquid, below is a video showing how well a prototype compares to the best coolers out there.

Good to know we have effective cooling solutions for 300-500w, but, no, thanks, I'd better have slower, cooler system.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Whats everyones thoughts on a tv/monitor for these next gen consoles?

Perfect specs are say:

hdmi 2.1
120hz
HDR 1000+

Sound right?

What about people who have just bought a tv(that doesn't tick those boxes above), as ridiculous as it sounds, are they going to be happy gaming at 4k60? or do you feel they will be somehow missing out or should i say not getting the full benefit of these consoles?

I've got the annoying situation where i game at a desk, so 40"+ screens are a no go. only monitor (from a quick search) that ticks all the boxes(plus more) is the asus rog pg32uqx, supposedly out at the end of the year, but with an eye watering £/$3k price tag.

If you are already owning a 4K HDR like in my case, and there is no other room will benefit from it, then another one would more like a luxury. I'm more than sure you'll be happy.

By the way, there's no such thing as HDR 1000+ :messenger_tears_of_joy: Dolby Vision (the best, and supported by XOX right now) HDR10+ (the new open-source HDR, competing with the previous one) and the old HDR10 that's used by both current consoles (half the range of HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). I think both consoles will run Dolby Vision and HDR10+, but not sure. If you by an LCD (LED) then you don't need to worry about having 1000+ nits of brightness for premium HDR performance, it's only a trouble on OLED's.

Put in mind that I'm talking about extreme satisfaction, otherwise I think you'll be happy with most 4K HDR tv's.

For me I'm looking for those, all at the size of 65":

8K:

-2020 TCL 8-Series

-2020 Samsung Q800T (not sure I can afford Q900T/Q950T without a discount), but I'm worried about the 8-bit 4:2:0 BS in all the line-up:

4K:

-2020 Sony XH90 (X900H) if HDMI 2.1 confirmed.
-2020 TCL 6-Series

I believe all next gen games will provide locked 60fps option, HDMI 2.1 is still pretty new.

Good to know we have effective cooling solutions for 300-500w, but, no, thanks, I'd better have slower, cooler system.

Typical systems won't be that kind of wattage, that was only done to basically push it to its limits compared to other coolers, but if they shrunk the design and put in quieter fans it would be perfect for a console. Not saying the PS5 is going to have one, but if they did use it in the system it would allow the PS5 to stay super quiet and cool when it is pushed to the max.

Last edited:
IMO that's not a reason. I mean, really EVERYONE knows the PS5 hits the scenes at the end of this year and it will be BC to PS4 as a minimum, so everyone with a PS4 or 5 can play these games. At the other side I would say a PS5 reveal would improve the attention to these titles. Look how many people are disappointed if sony posts something on Twitter and it had nothing to do with the PS5. If sony fully revealed it, there could be more attention for other things.
Everyone?

Are you sure?

Forum goers like us are aware of the situation regarding Sony and their use of Twitter with regards to PS5. Its us enthusiasts who are keen on new next gen news and who's closely monitoring social media channels for any new bit of information. The average Joe on the street doesn't care for any of this. Just the console itself, price and launch date will matter to them. They at this moment are unaware of any of that obviously because Sony is waiting for the right time to release this information.

The Last of Us 2 does have a launch date. It has so far had gameplay demos plastered all over youtube so everyone and their dog knows of the game, how it looks and plays and when to expect it. The developers have only spoken of working on PS4 and nothing of a port on PS5. It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that The Last of Us 2 is focused solely on PS4 and any next gen reveal BEFORE the game's official release will rapidly shift mindshare from the game to the new console.
That's one thing you don't want to happen especially to your number 1 studio.
Naughty Dog also stated they're focusing all their efforts on PS4 and not PS4 Pro which makes sense since the overwhelming majority of the player-base is on PS4 and not the Pro version.

If you look at Last of Us on PS3, it was released in June 2013 and the PS4 version a full year later in July 2014. This looks like happening again with PS4 to PS5.

There will be no reveal of PS5 until after Last of Us 2 is out in the wild. It doesn't make sense to steal the limelight away from your premier studio releasing their new blockbuster on the current gen by revealing the next gen before this game is even out the door.

Last edited:
What is "best" about it???
It's a proprietary crap that makes device price higher that has no advantage over HDR10+.

Technically it does have some specs that are better than HDR10+ like the color bit depth (DV is 12-bit versus HDR10+ 10-bit...not that my colorblind ass could tell), but it is crap that it costs the TV manufacturers additional money to include it...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What is "best" about it???
It's a proprietary crap that makes device price higher that has no advantage over HDR10+.

Never tested it myself, only repeating what it seems like experts on youtube stating so. I would actually wait for full PS5 reveal, and when I guarantee HDR10+ will be supported in all games then I won't care about Dolby Vision. I should dig deeper in that matter.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Sony is doing just fine , I mean many died there some of them are players some are fans some were planning to buy one but now they can't.. that's it it's not a joke not a game but lives are on line

Ps4 and Xbox can just do fine and give more don't worry about gaming.. I won't be surprised if next gen delayed to 2021 , let's hope everything back to normal in China and people get healed plus stopping the virus

Last edited:
Well, no GDC sucks. But the coronavirus sucks even more.

Glad I got to visit Japan, South Korea, and China last year before all of this struck. Hopefully a vaccine gets out there soon.

And hopefully this won't delay the consoles into 2021.

I'm sweating on this all getting under control before the olympics. I already cancelled a trip to Hong Kong.

The hype train is slowing down, doing my best to take negativity out of the trail. I just need some "insider" fuel.

giphy.gif
3M4uNxp.jpg

Koopatrol

I'm sweating on this all getting under control before the olympics. I already cancelled a trip to Hong Kong.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I'd really like to go back to Japan this year too, but probably won't now. I'm going to Europe in a couple of weeks, and I'm even getting a bit apprehensive about that. Doesn't seem like a good time to be in airports or on a plane travelling internationally.

The three companies I directly talk to all have trailers cut. I did get an actual sit down with someone but cannot post about it until after their reveal. I have actual game play to post (of me playing) and to be completely transparent I am contacting a few major gaming sites to see if I can get the article and video posted professionally.

As far as the date for the reveal "Soony".

Prepare to have your jaw dropped.

Edited to add: I am looking to have the article published to avoid the "Insider" conversation. I believe if its on a respected site and not just a forum people will finally just read the information without all the speculation or trepidation. Bars.
I don't get it. Why keep using this term. It doesn't give us any timeline when to expect something. It could be any time.

The least you could do is give us a proper timeline like 'expect something next 4 weeks' or 'expect something next 2 months'.

EDIT:

Please don't take offense to my post. If it comes across like that i apologise.

Last edited:

Kobi

By the way, there's no such thing as HDR 1000+ :messenger_tears_of_joy: Dolby Vision (the best, and supported by XOX right now) HDR10+ (the new open-source HDR, competing with the previous one) and the old HDR10 that's used by both current consoles (half the range of HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). I think both consoles will run Dolby Vision and HDR10+, but not sure. If you by an LCD (LED) then you don't need to worry about having 1000+ nits of brightness for premium HDR performance, it's only a trouble on OLED's.

Oh, correct me if im wrong, but i thought to get your hdr10 certification, you need a display that can output at around 1000 nits(or 540 for oled?). hdr10+ is anything above that up to 4000 nits. So for example that monitor i mentioned says it has a 'DisplayHDR 1400 certification'. So isnt hdr 1000 and hdr10 the exact same thing?

Notice the Gith riding the Dragon at the end of the trailer? Cross gen ish, really being made with top end Computers in mind. Should be graphically stunning on both XseX and PS5. The consoles being as powerful as they are is going to also be amazing for PC gamers. I have no idea why its always a dick swinging contest about boxes. Just buy everything and get a good gaming PC.

Hes also a pretty cool guy very excited about what he and his team are doing.

Edited.
Whoa whoa whoa. Wait just a minute.

Are you telling me that CGI looking dragon is what we can expect with PS5 and Xbox Series X??

Mr Moose

Okay enough beating around the bush...what the fuck is going on at Sony? People really buying this COVD19 excuse? Really?

Guess that's "hundreds of events", minus three and minus a few others to come at this rate 🤷‍♂️
Facebook, IBM, Taipei Game Show cancelled, mobile event cancelled (https://time.com/5783200/mobile-world-congress-canceled-coronavirus-fears/), many other companies cancelling stuff. It isn't just a Sony thing, this stuff is fucking up a lot of things.

44alltheway

Okay enough beating around the bush...what the fuck is going on at Sony? People really buying this COVD19 excuse? Really?

Guess that's "hundreds of events", minus three and minus a few others to come at this rate 🤷‍♂️
People are buying it because it's real. That doesn't mean that any other company that does decide to go to these events are making the wrong decision. Companies are are valuing the risks and coming to their own conclusions.

For the record, this does not stop rumors from flowing out from GDC. Seemingly developers will still be there and word will get around most likely.

M-V2

Just because you don't buy it, it doesn't mean it's not real. People are risking their lives by going these events, a big company like Sony needs to value their employees not risking their lives just because of a piece of plastic.

Facebook, IBM, Taipei Game Show cancelled, mobile event cancelled (https://time.com/5783200/mobile-world-congress-canceled-coronavirus-fears/), many other companies cancelling stuff. It isn't just a Sony thing, this stuff is fucking up a lot of things.

Man, this sucks. The virus and people getting sick with it absolutely, but also these cancellations. I know it might "look" a certain way in today's climate but couldn't these events just exclude anyone from China or who's recently been there from entering the show's grounds?

That way at least for companies with non-Chinese divisions, those divisions could present safely? I know it might be a bad look, but the world's gotta keep moving.

People are buying it because it's real. That doesn't mean that any other company that does decide to go to these events are making the wrong decision. Companies are are valuing the risks and coming to their own conclusions.

For the record, this does not stop rumors from flowing out from GDC. Seemingly developers will still be there and word will get around most likely.

Guess that's a decent outcome, hopefully next-gen news will leak.

Again tho and I know to some folks it might seem bad in terms of optics but, why not just identify anyone from China (Wuhan district or near that area) or who's been to China recently and prevent them from attending the show? If it's to allow business to conduct as usual and knowing there's a health concern tied to those variables, would it really be seen as negative discrimination?

Of course some fools'd probably abuse that and be dicks, but they could be dealt with. I'm just saying, can't live life in fear. There's precaution & safety, and then there's fear. These cancellations are starting to feel like the latter.

Tarkus98

I would not like that PS5 if it were horizontal, but vertically with the PS symbol like that would be sweet and they should put the USBs on the side to let me place it like that
Well it has obviously received the Star Trek/Federation stamp of approval so there is that.
Other then that, I prefer to mount my consoles vertically so it could represent a challenge depending where the USB’s, camera and other ports are located. Certainly nothing earth shattering if it has to go in horizontally.
I do like the design; it’s a nice compromise between the developer unit and what a retail unit may turn out to be. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It should be “Sooony” now!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well it has obviously received the Star Trek/Federation stamp of approval so there is that.
Other then that, I prefer to mount my consoles vertically so it could represent a challenge depending where the USB’s, camera and other ports are located. Certainly nothing earth shattering if it has to go in horizontally.
I do like the design; it’s a nice compromise between the developer unit and what a retail unit may turn out to be. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It should be “Sooony” now!
I would hope they at least smooth out the front of something like that if it were to have the USBs on that side, but that's just me not liking the layered design personally. The more layers the worse it looks as I really like the original PS4 design

LED Guy?

Banned
Guys, whether Sony/MS like it or not, both their next-gen consoles' final specs are going to be fully leaked by GDC 2020 which is gonna start on the 16th of March, so maybe even earlier or after GDC immediately, at that time, everything about these consoles will be known.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Guys, whether Sony/MS like it or not, both their next-gen consoles' final specs are going to be fully leaked by GDC 2020 which is gonna start on the 16th of March, so maybe even earlier or after GDC immediately, at that time, everything about these consoles will be known.
Didn't Microsoft reveal after that last time?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yeah the official reveal of Xbox One was in May 21st, but I mean the full specs leak.
Did their specs get out before that last time? I remember we were pretty sure it was weaker and they were vague during their reveal (8 billion transistors and space age tech) but didn't know if it was fully detailed by GDC

Sega was ahead of its time.

In a lot of ways yes, but 32X was just a botched job all around. Even on a technical level it did some things worst than the 16-bit systems, like scrolling backgrounds.

Ideally probably would've been better if SEGA just rolled the CD and VDP chip (same as the one for 2D in Saturn) into a mid/late '94 add-on for Model 2 Genesis units. Would've probably been able to get the price to around $130, release it as an add-on providing CD playback and some patched enhancements of select Genesis games. They could've then used the same CD drive and VDP chip in the Saturn but at even greater reduced cost, and maybe even allow Genesis owners with the CD/SVP add-on view pictures, movies and music from Saturn game discs (since actually playing the games would be impossible; maybe some games could've had bonus software that'd run on a Genesis with the attachment though).

Then maybe around '95 or so consolidate the costs for 4th-gen systems merging Genesis & hypothetical add-on unit into a single system at a low price, using existing Saturn molds to save on costs. I think that approach would've also helped with pricing the Saturn lower (technically speaking if you took out the pack-in game and internal storage it was "only" about $325 at launch but the public didn't see it that way and SEGA never marketed that way either).

M-V2

Sony won't be at GDC don't expect any leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom