• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
That thing looks like two stacked PS4 that played a leading role in SAW and was cut like a cake from a maniac.

But I think we can get used to the V of the PS5. PSV.
Yeah the layers look awful. I would have to have it be placed with a V facing the way the letter does and the PS symbol facing me or have it be a smooth front

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
So there was no leak/news about the game yesterday? :messenger_hushed:

I'm beginning to think this whole click of insiders just likes to play games on the pheasants. Throw us a bone man, you won't have to read our wild fantasies then.

Run boy run! This race is a prophecy
Run boy run! Break out from society

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Thts you but everyone doesn't think that way. There are ppl tht have multiple ps4's, some die, some ppl need to get new ones if I saw all the psv info I'd wait to get a psv instead of another ps4 especially with bc. Ps4's are still selling in the thousands to your point why? Why are ppl still buying them because there still a need of a console in ppls house, again money and price play a big part but ps4 is not tht cheap at this point to warrant ppl buying it instead if they new ps5 has all this bc and is soon around the corner. A full fledge reveal and pricing will undoubtedly affect sales of ps4 imo. Hey but thts my opinion.

Mind you they still have the big hitters in TLOU and Ghost of T thy want to drive ps4 sales and if ppl know thy can play those on psv thyll wait. We know but the masses don't.
It not like they had articles in Wired and then confirmed it was coming this year at their CES show this year, stuff that is being reported everywhere on the mainstream press...

What IS a 'Thermal Siphon' system, if it's possible to explain in short and lay terms?

It's a phase change heat transfer device that works on a similar principle to heat pipes and a vapour chamber. Where the heat source (the processor in this case) boils a liquid (in this case water under negative barometric pressure and dosed to reduce the boiling point). The vapour travels up to the heat sink (in this case the radiator) where heat is exchanged with air blown over the finned surface. The condensing fluid falls under gravity back down to the heat source.

The biggest difference between heat pipes/vapour chamber and a thermosyphon is the way the condensed liquid returns to the heat source. In a Thermosyphon it's by gravity. In heat pipes/vapour chamber it's through a porous wick via capillary action (i.e. the same principle by which water travels up a piece of toilet paper when you dip one end in water).

The issue with Thermosyphons is that they need to be carefully designed with a large enough diameter in the tubing to avoid surface tension effects overcoming the force of gravity; thus reducing efficiency, as well as having limitations in their operating orientation. For a thermosyphon, because it relies on gravity, the heat sink needs to be located vertically above the heat source, otherwise there would be no hydro-static pressure to push the liquid back to the heat source.

Also, as with all phase-change devices, if the heat source fails to remain sufficiently fully wetted during operation, film boiling can occur; which is where a thin film of vapour sits over the metal connected to the heat source, providing a barrier to heat transfer and allowing the heat source temperature to rise well above the boiling point of the liquid. Given that thermosyphons rely on gravity to the return the liquid, this is a much bigger problem for them than for heat pipes/vapour chambers.

I think thermosyphons also require much larger heat fluxes for them to operate efficiently. So I would presume for a consoles they would be out of the question, unless the console APUs are pushing 250 to 300 watts (and even then the thermosyphon cooler would need to be very carefully designed).

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Gosh, imagine if the PS5 really is BC with PS1 and PS2 discs. You'd walk into CEX one day and see a PS2 game for £1, then walk in after the announcement and see it priced at £19.99 ...
If they’d make it compatible all the way down to PS2, you’d think Sony would be at least as smart as MS and add the games to their own digital store for 4.99-9.99$, it’d ne easy money instead of letting people raise prices on the used market as it has been going for years now on older consoles, making a lot of those those games overpriced.

DrDamn

Think he mixed it up. About one month ago there was a "leaker" on reddit who said Resident Evil 8 and Hellblade 2 are also launch titles of the PS5

This is what he said ...

These are FACTS

Gamestop has a temp SKU number for the PS5 its listed in the system NOW at a retail of $499:99. Their is also a SKU for SeX which is LOWER than the PS5 by $50:00 don't know why don't ask its in their and they are both temps. I have also KNOW some stores have jumped the gun and taken advanced preorders at these prices. Their is also a SKU for RE8, GodFall, Assassins Creed, (does not say ragnarok or kingdom)
hell blade 2,2k21 and broken filter no idea what it is its listed under ps5 titles and not accessories.
Accessories are priced way the fuck too high but again everything in the system at the moment is temporary. PS5 controllers are listed at $69:99 (there is no way that's right) and SeX controllers are $10 less. Their is a PS5 camera listed but it's $129:99 I didn't see one for SeX.

This is what I was TOLD
This is from a multi platform developer,"Neither system is less than 10, Period!" how is that for no riddles.

When asked if that meant HB2 was coming to PS5 he clarified...

No it’s XseX only that’s just everything currently listed.

So no, he didn't say HB2 was coming to PS5.

IkarugaDE

I wasn't a fan of the 'V' shape when the dev kits leaked, but it has definitely grown on me...if they do decide to stick with a 'V' design it will be interesting to see how the console ends up looking. Hopefully it can still go vertical as well since I know a lot of people use their system vertically.
Same here, wasn't convinced after I saw it and was satisfied after it was clear it is the dev kit. But know I like the V-shape. IMO we will get a new design anyway, lets see if the V stays.

BTW its interesting the devkit seems to be so small against the XSX console.

IkarugaDE

This is what he said ...

When asked if that meant HB2 was coming to PS5 he clarified...

So no, he didn't say HB2 was coming to PS5.
I didn't read that text here in GAF. I only saw a Reddit post with the exact same content and there HB2 was listed as a PS5 start title. IMO someone stole it from here and repeated it wrong, lol.

Last edited:
There will be NOTHING shown this month thats for sure or next month.
Sony already cancelled PAX East. There was an article about them wrestling with bill of manufacturing costs with PS5.

I fully expect Sony to hold out until the last possible minute (which i'm assuming will be around E3 time) to show off PS5 and the price of the console as well.

Another reason for me to believe the above is that there are big current gen titles like Dreams and Last of Us 2 that need the spotlight. You don't want to throw PS5 in the spotlight when you have your premier studio Naught Dog having to release The Last Of Us 2 on current gen.

This is my thought process for not expecting anything from Sony for a few months. I'd love to be wrong and be surprised by a State Of Play showing the PS5 box or anything related to it but i'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The hype train is slowing down, doing my best to take negativity out of the trail. I just need some "insider" fuel.

giphy.gif

IkarugaDE

Another reason for me to believe the above is that there are big current gen titles like Dreams and Last of Us 2 that need the spotlight. You don't want to throw PS5 in the spotlight when you have your premier studio Naught Dog having to release The Last Of Us 2 on current gen.
IMO that's not a reason. I mean, really EVERYONE knows the PS5 hits the scenes at the end of this year and it will be BC to PS4 as a minimum, so everyone with a PS4 or 5 can play these games. At the other side I would say a PS5 reveal would improve the attention to these titles. Look how many people are disappointed if sony posts something on Twitter and it had nothing to do with the PS5. If sony fully revealed it, there could be more attention for other things.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you need fuel you need just to look carefully.. many fuel left behind I believe.. but no worries just wait for the official announcement

Well, that fuel made me pumped as hell, seems like the whole thread was on an overdoes anyway. :messenger_anxious:

I'm waiting for new of other Sony products as well, new Xperia, Bravia, alpha cameras.:messenger_face_steam: Yesterday was total fun anyway with all the exciting leaks we got,.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
About the design, I really don't care much as long the PS5 is in black and blends in. Can't say the same for Xbox (although it looks ok) because I won't buy it.

THE:MILKMAN

Just noticed on that large image of the XSX that all the ports have a either letters or symbols describing the input......except the mysterious port which appears to have a white strip redacting the symbol/letters.

Why would whoever leaked this image leave everything uncovered (including traceable serial number!) except the thing that would be the main talking point!?

IkarugaDE

Just noticed on that large image of the XSX that all the ports have a either letters or symbols describing the input......except the mysterious port which appears to have a white strip redacting the symbol/letters.

Why would whoever leaked this image leave everything uncovered (including traceable serial number!) except the thing that would be the main talking point!?
Looks like it is printed this way. Regarding to the color the stripe looks like the HDMI letters.

But something other I've noticed after I zoomed in: It looks like the user fucked up the HDMI Port.😂

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

I think that port is like PC cards ( used for additional RAM ) 3.3mm .. or not don't know

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Same here, wasn't convinced after I saw it and was satisfied after it was clear it is the dev kit. But know I like the V-shape. IMO we will get a new design anyway, lets see if the V stays.

BTW its interesting the devkit seems to be so small against the XSX console.

I think it’s deceiving. The ps5 dev kit is large in volume, compared to the SX. But the SX seems much further along in terms of final design, which I still find odd but anyway.

Mriverz

I think it’s deceiving. The ps5 dev kit is large in volume, compared to the SX. But the SX seems much further along in terms of final design, which I still find odd but anyway.

Think that will affect how much stuff Xsx can actually cram in there?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Honestly I think showing most of the big stuff in June and having preorders then will be fine. Give general stats, show the launch games off, give price and release date.

Let Xbox have E3 and then show your stuff afterwards. Gives Xbox less time to adjust and you can counterpunch everything they said. If you reveal first they can do that to you. There's no rush since preorders will sell out immediately even if they opened them today with no info.

Do a full spec talk in September and some post launch games with dates for those as well as some montages and stuff with the launch games.

Neo Blaster

I guess so. Was about smartphone games should beat next gen consoles (current gen now). I can't say if Sony still need them for doing that. Game Informer should be a nice place for doing as well. I get the Playstation Aniversary cover and I find amazing.
Wasn't that Spiderman reveal article on Game Informer?

Kobi

Whats everyones thoughts on a tv/monitor for these next gen consoles?

Perfect specs are say:

hdmi 2.1
120hz
HDR 1000+

Sound right?

What about people who have just bought a tv(that doesn't tick those boxes above), as ridiculous as it sounds, are they going to be happy gaming at 4k60? or do you feel they will be somehow missing out or should i say not getting the full benefit of these consoles?

I've got the annoying situation where i game at a desk, so 40"+ screens are a no go. only monitor (from a quick search) that ticks all the boxes(plus more) is the asus rog pg32uqx, supposedly out at the end of the year, but with an eye watering £/$3k price tag.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Another cancelled Sony showing...? Wow... But remember the only reason there are no cancelled MS shows is because we don’t about them in the first place.

damn, this virus is doing a number eh?

Not something normally faked and Nibel is reliable guy.

Welp, GDC is out too. For those insiders who pegged a reveal soon or even in Feburary, better hope for a State of Play...

Otherwise, it's a May reveal or even later than that if this virus cannot be contained somehow.

It COULD delay the system, it really could, to be honest.

Last edited:

Kobi

I think that gdc is a fake.. nothing on Sony Twitter like they did with pax, nothing on their blog or any of their loyal websites.?

Edit: Fb did pull out though

Didn't we already know they were skipping GDC and were going to release a video presentation? or was that just a rumour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom