• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkarugaDE

I don't understand why all here don't cross fingers both consoles are similar strong at the end. It doesn't change what console you buy anyway, but then we will see great looking games on all plattforms. But it looks like it is impossible to convince some here.

At least it seems to be easier to sell an Galaxy S20 to Kim Jong-un.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
I don't understand why all here don't cross fingers both consoles are similar strong at the end. It doesn't change what console you buy anyway, but then we will see great looking games on all plattforms. But it looks like it is impossible to convince some here.

At least it seems to be easier to sell an Galaxy S20 to Kim Jong-un.
We’re not all blind fanboys, it does affect what console non blind fanboys will buy. I’ll buy whichever has the best specs, PS5 or XSX. I’m a multiplat fan overall.

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

We’re not all blind fanboys, it does affect what console non blind fanboys will buy. I’ll buy whichever has the best specs, PS5 or XSX. I’m a multiplat fan overall.
I know that, that message was for all fanboys here. :D
Sorry if there is any misunderstanding after english is not my mother tongue.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't understand why all here don't cross fingers both consoles are similar strong at the end.
Its pretty simple. They want the ps5 to be 9 tflops so that ms can have the most powerful console. It's fanboyism distilled to its purest form. It's not enough that i succeed, everyone else has to fail.

Its also why they are all so excited about the 4 tflops Lockhart despite it potentially holding back their 12 tflops monster. This way they will have the cheapest AND most powerful console.

When you are on a hardcore forum actively participating in an even more hardcore spec thread and are hoping for a last gen 4 tflops console to win a console sales war, you clearly aren't a hardcore gamer who cares about tech. You are just a fanboy.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Its pretty simple. They want the ps5 to be 9 tflops so that ms can have the most powerful console. It's fanboyism distilled to its purest form. It's not enough that i succeed, everyone else has to fail.

Its also why they are all so excited about the 4 tflops Lockhart despite it potentially holding back their 12 tflops monster. This way they will have the cheapest AND most powerful console.

When you are on a hardcore forum actively participating in an even more hardcore spec thread and are hoping for a last gen 4 tflops console to win a console sales war, you clearly aren't a hardcore gamer who cares about tech. You are just a fanboy.
I dislike weak hardware and consoles without physical media. While a cheaper option is probably appealing to some consumers, I equate it to the likes of the goofy 2DS.

IkarugaDE

Yeah, that's something I also don't unterstand and is sometimes overlooked. A "lite-next-gen-console" could affect the whole next generation, no matter if it comes from Sony or Microsoft.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Anybody with an ounce of common sense is talking about how A) they don’t want Lockhart because it’s a bag of bollocks, and B) the best thing is that both consoles are on par. Yes, one console will be a teeny tiny bit better, and no, that won’t have any perceivable difference. But when that was the ps5, people were ok. But now the SX is that console, suddenly the old fanboy talks are coming back out, like clockwork. Suddenly now nobody can be trusted, it’s all lies, and that t won’t matter anyway because of ND and first party output etc etc

I mean, it’s so obvious, people don’t even try to mask it.

Just buy the box that you like. You will anyway. If it’s going to run 1fps slower then... I’m sorry. But come on some of these kids had to suffer Xbox one being the shit console it was compared to PS4 spec. Let them enjoy it.

Last edited:
People seem to be hardliners here despite pretending to be agnostic. At what point will you admit bias or will everyone ride it out forever? I mean, Sony’s first party is small fries just like Microsoft’s (Just Sony tend to do a better job in variety).

What would make you change consoles?

I like Xbox because of the superior support for 4K and power that came later in the current generation. I HAVE owned every generation of PS and Xbox. If Sony had the better hardware to support next gen displays than Xbox, I’d go PS5 in a heartbeat. This means focusing heavily on HDMI 2.1 capabilities instead of selling me a brand. If PS5 or XSX were HDMI 2.0 I wouldn’t even consider them as a serious upgrade.

I don’t really care about services, but I know that’s important this generation to many. (When my gamepass expires in May I’ll go back to buying physical games as usual).
It’s a little sad though if the Xbox is better in both services AND technology and both get essentially the same 3rd party releases as expected.

The only selling point I expect from Sony for PS5 right now is “Hey we’ve got shittier technology, but hey, it’s “good enough and both platforms will be great” & look at ‘dis brand recognition!”.

But, at least they will have PSVR2 and maybe they’ll moneyhat enough 3rd party exclusives again to keep all the non first world countries eating it up yet again. If there’s one thing that’s for sure, poverty goes hand in hand with Soccer and Playstation.

I’d say that Playstation had a more promising future if they’d be less irrational and move their headquarters back to Japan.
The Playstation headquarters in California will shape and mold next gen PS for the Resetera crowd far more than for Gaffers and real gamers.

I would hope that the BEST CONSOLE wins, but we all know that Soccer and PS5 are going to always be #1 and thinking otherwise is on par with expecting Peace in the Middle East... Unless Sony Pulls a Don Matrick (They won’t).

What a pile of nonsense...

FranXico

Yes, one console will be a teeny tiny bit better, and no, that won’t have any perceivable difference. But when that was the ps5, people were ok. But now the SX is that console, suddenly the old fanboy talks are coming back out, like clockwork. Suddenly now nobody can be trusted, it’s all lies, and that t won’t matter anyway because of ND and first party output etc etc
No, it's the same people as before who are now doubling down on "fake insiders" because they want the PS5 as weak as possible, and not even close to the XSX. I see PS5 fans ok with Xbox having the edge, as long as both consoles are on the same ballpark. It's #teamgithub who brought out the pitchforks now.

saintjules

Pricing: will it matter? That's the question.

It will matter for people who can't save money. I mean c'mon lol. Any working Consumer should be able to put away $25-50 for a year. Even longer since technically we knew next-gen was coming since 2018 (maybe even longer).

Gamernyc78

Banned

Not clearly on topic but the virus is hitting factories. Health is utmost importance but I hope we can get consoles without delays but it's not looking too good.

ethomaz

Banned

Xbox 360 total software sales 630M
PS3 total software sales 749M
someone said to me, couple pages ago, that data from Wiki should not be trusted as anyone can edit it. just sayin’
Actually PS3 reached 999M.

Attach rate of ~11.4 games per console.

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

Not clearly on topic but the virus is hitting factories. Health is utmost importance but I hope we can get consoles without delays but it's not looking too good.
Really, I would have no problem if the consoles are delayed. Prefer that instead having blood on my hands if poeple died after they have to stay in the factory for a punctual release.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No, it's the same people as before who are now doubling down on "fake insiders" because they want the PS5 as weak as possible, and not even close to the XSX. I see PS5 fans ok with Xbox having the edge, as long as both consoles are on the same ballpark. It's #teamgithub who brought out the pitchforks now.

One console being vastly worse than the other is a totally stupid situation to be in. Everybody would suffer. I just don’t understand this need to be number one. I get people think if their console is way more powerful they will get better games, but that’s not how it will work. Outside of first party, the third party, the actual meat of the consoles, will suffer due to the lowest denominator.

Some people’s logic makes my brain hurt.

PBIGzgK.gif

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People sometimes forget this but if it wasn't obvious: being vetted or verified doesn't mean you actually know stuff.

ROHNHwH.png

HOWEVER... I only work with/worked with other people in the industry. I have no access to dev kits myself, sadly. I do have info we chat about, nothing I will talk about here other than to say it lines up with what’s being said. I certainly will never call myself an insider. Not unless I’m talking about yo’ momma. BOOM.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Really, I would have no problem if the consoles are delayed. Prefer that instead having blood on my hands if poeple died after they have to stay in the factory for a punctual release.

Hence my comment about safety and health first. This isn't a convo about morals or health. No one wants blood on their hands for a console. We don't always have to be dramatic. Again I hope thy dont get delayed but if for health and safety reasons of course thts fine.

Last edited:
Welp--

We now head into the final week of February at long last. There is no public event being held, especially in the wake of Coronavirus running rampant.

Many insiders pegged February, but I won't discredit those people as they had no way of knowing that this virus would throw things in disarray. IMO, they cannot be held accountable in this regard if things changed.

If Sony *still* plans to break their silence, it has to be a State of Play(Wired articles wouldn't include trailers that, according to Osiris, have already been cut).

State of Plays are usually announced a few days in advance. If we don't get anything from Sony by Wednesday(and that's stretching it), it's all over til March or maybe even later.

Welp--

We now head into the final week of February at long last. There is no public event being held, especially in the wake of Coronavirus running rampant.

Many insiders pegged February, but I won't discredit those people as they had no way of knowing that this virus would throw things in disarray. IMO, they cannot be held accountable in this regard if things changed.

If Sony *still* plans to break their silence, it has to be a State of Play(Wired articles wouldn't include trailers that, according to Osiris, have already been cut).

State of Plays are usually announced a few days in advance. If we don't get anything from Sony by Wednesday(and that's stretching it), it's all over til March or maybe even later.
Yea even if feb was planned Sony as company has cancelled all their live events for feb . Remains to be seen that Sony will wait for love event for next month or will do YouTube video of prerecorded event

Fake

Indeed. In fact, I still believe in Rich from Digital Foundry saying the seX is 12TF. Even if seX > PS5, if PS5 is close I don't even care.
But spreading 8TF was most important for some than comemorate 12TF.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One console being vastly worse than the other is a totally stupid situation to be in. Everybody would suffer. I just don’t understand this need to be number one. I get people think if their console is way more powerful they will get better games, but that’s not how it will work. Outside of first party, the third party, the actual meat of the consoles, will suffer due to the lowest denominator.

Some people’s logic makes my brain hurt.

That’s why I can’t care less for Lockhart (if it does exist rumored spec wise) and most cross gen content early on.

Bring on the balls to the wall, not gimped versions “because it has to run on here too and crossplay with everyone, yay everyone” hold backs on complex game design.

splattered

I lean more xbox but do own and play all systems in my household. That being said, I hope both ps5 and XsX are close to each other in specs so devs dont have to use the lower machine for baseline.

And then if Lockhart is real I hope it isn't a traditional style 4tf machine meant to be 1080p 60fps. If it's a 4tf machine meant solely for streaming maybe even with more advanced wireless technology than what we get in ps5 or XsX then that really wouldn't be bad at all would it? Maybe even include a SIM slot to put a Cell carrier card in it for LTE and 5g or something? If it's just a beastly streaming device I see no reason to get upset.

*Phil Spencer did say they see Amazon and Google as their next big threat so maybe Lockhart is an answer to that rather than an answer to lower cost traditional consoles still in the market.

What if it's Xbox series S for "streaming" or Xbox series M for "mobile" ?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nobody cares about console sales in Uzbekistan ... they care about total console sales .. and most importantly for developers and the industry total game sales .. which 360 won easily over ps3.

I always said it’s unlikely that Xbox outsells playstation ... but having a lockhart that’s 150$ cheaper on launch and plays all the same games at the same frame rate .. and basically the only difference is between 4k and 1080p ... and no competitor in that space from Sony... that will make a real difference.

I have a 4k OLED and 1080p with aa almost looks as good as 4k ... I’ll be advising my budget conscious friends who barely can tell the difference between the ps4 and xbox games .. to buy the Lockhart .. no question.

I doubt that it will be that much cheaper though is real question though.

Well, I'm not from Uzbekistan but guess what, Xbox One X was being sold for as alow as 100 OMR ($260 USD), cheaper than Switch, PS4 Slim, in last Black Friday and when asked the guy at the shop if they were selling any, he just gave me this smile:

arnold-smile.gif

Let's make a little comparison on another product:

Toyota Land Cruiser barely sells around 4,000-3,000 cars a year in the USA (360mil population), in my little country it's around 16,000-14,000 cars a year (4.2mil population). So yeah, never underestimate smaller countries as they can add up much more sales overall combined.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was wondering why those numbers looks very familiar lol I am from Oman too and using exact same package.

Same goes for the Xperia it felt like I was reading my own posts, anyway nice to have fellow Omani in GAF

Well, welcome brother :messenger_winking_tongue: They've just added 40Mbps download / 10Mbps upload plan to their ADSL, you should check that out. I'm going now to see if I can upgrade to that, until fiber optics hits around the block:messenger_tears_of_joy:

TLDR he’s not confident in his info and he’ll double down once he’s inevitably proven wrong and pull the “gamers win!” Card at the end of the day.

I wont "double down" on anything nor will I vanish once the real numbers come out even if I am wrong in everything I have said.

I will take my medicine here and who ever feels the need can put me on ignore or do so now.

There are a lot of things I simply can not put out there because I wont burn my friends just to prove who or what I know.

And without a doubt every "insider" will get things wrong along the way.

I think about every single source has flip flopped a couple of times on the existence of Lokchart.

The mysterious port on the back of the prototype XsX was reported to be a debugging port now its expandable storage.

I will get stuff wrong and sorry that bothers you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I share your pain. $70 for shitty HSDSL from Verizon. 15Mbps up/3Mbps down...

..and it disconnects ALL the time on my Chromebook. But that might be the Chromebook's shitty wifi module.

Gotta switch back to Cocks Cox.

Well, I can admit that at least it never disconnects. Probably once or twice I year if they're doing maintenance. I think we had Cox 17-16 years back, and we used Verizon as well that had superior signal coverage at that time, especially underground (metro).

DaMonsta

Well, I'm not from Uzbekistan but guess what, Xbox One X was being sold for as alow as 100 OMR ($260 USD), cheaper than Switch, PS4 Slim, in last Black Friday and when asked the guy at the shop if they were selling any, he just gave me this smile:

arnold-smile.gif

Let's make a little comparison on another product:

Toyota Land Cruiser barely sells around 4,000-3,000 cars a year in the USA (360mil population), in my little country it's around 16,000-14,000 cars a year (4.2mil population). So yeah, never underestimate smaller countries as they can add up much more sales overall combined.
It’s weird, only with consoles do we care. I’ve never considered or heard anybody debate or talk about the sales of any other product around the world.

Never went to buy a Pepsi and thought “I wonder if this is popular in japan” lol

Bought an LG TV for Christmas and I have no clue if they are even for sale in Uzbekistan.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It’s weird, only with consoles do we care. I’ve never considered or heard anybody debate or talk about the sales of any other product around the world.

Never went to buy a Pepsi and thought “I wonder if this is popular in japan” lol

Bought an LG TV for Christmas and I have no clue if they are even for sale in Uzbekistan.

I'm from Oman, I don't know where that Uzbekistan came from :messenger_tears_of_joy: Again here:

location-map-of-oman.jpg

Only brought another product to show that sales do matter on every country, that's how Sony is dominating in the console atmosphere. Lori said no one cares as if selling around the world doesn't translate into more money. Sony seems like it doesn't care that's why all the ads here are just for fun, and Sony be like

and-just-like-5b5eec.jpg

DaMonsta

I'm from Oman, I don't know where that Uzbekistan came from :messenger_tears_of_joy: Again here:

location-map-of-oman.jpg

Only brought another product to show that sales do matter on every country, that's how Sony is dominating in the console atmosphere. Lori said no one cares as if selling around the world doesn't translate into more money. Sony seems like it doesn't care that's why all the ads here are just for fun, and Sony be like

and-just-like-5b5eec.jpg
Well obviously Sony would care.

Consumers usually don’t though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not surprising since piracy copies were available on 360.

Well, that's the main thing made it sell worldwide pretty good. All I've seen were pirated except one early copy a cousin had before PS3 being available. Imagine having new games for as low as $2.6.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Resetera are over there trying to discredit OsirisBlack. They are jealous he is getting all the headlines on the web.

Main reason I asked the mod here to check my shit. Also the main reason I don’t even lurk over there. It’s a cesspool

Once you see someone go to these lengths to tease, it’s most likely fake.
Just remember the name DeeThaDogg y’all... I will be right here the moment shit hits the fan
I will.

FYI
There is no one on my ignore list.

devilNprada

What makes you think they've got access to the dev kits?

I would imagine all the grunt work programing is done there, but to answer your question.. No clue it is just what I think.

Edit: If they going to release a huge open world AC game around launch I would think they need a lot of dev kits and programmers.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hopefully more developers jump on dedicated servers next gen.

You have grimy companies like 2K/Rockstar raking in BILLIONS of online revenue, yet still exploit their user base with P2P garbage.

Games like RDR2 suffer for it with animal spawns and the like with more than 15 people in your lobby, or even wonkier bugs and glitches depending on the host’s connection.

This should be mandated in a pay to play online service. Remembers the day of PC gaming when developers made a dedicated server client for gamers and dedicated server rental farms.

Then came the console pay to play online, and EA/Activision stripped dedicated user servers over time to a restrictive nonpiecemeal map/mode selection.

It's not safe to assume, 802.11ac was fresh in 2013 and the consoles did not launch with it. I assume they will just be 802.11ac.

2019 Smartphones had wif6, I just cant see any reason why it would not have wifi6. Also, I will be saving up for UHDTV 4k HDMI 2.1, and those better have wifi6 as well. Anybody buying any new electronic device that uses wifi, better have wifi6, or you are shooting yourself in the foot. You may think its no big deal, but IT IS.

Is there any ISP that can provide 10gbps connection speed assuming you got a router that can transmit 10gbps signal as well?

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Bigger install base means more and better games for the platform. That's why many Japanese games aren't released for Xbox this gen as it's inviable.
No, not really Japanese devs passed on Xbox cause xbox didn’t even try to reach out to them at first. As Xbox started to engage with Japanese devs, they started putting their games on Xbox. Some of the smaller titles are so culturally specific to Japan that it doesn’t make financial sense to put them on any other console.

It’s just jokes man, I mean, Sony when they released their consoles on their own years, they were the benchmark.

PS1 was the most powerful console when it released, PS2 was too, PS3 was a bit more powerful than Xbox 360 overall, and PS4 as well is more powerful than Xbox One.

Nope. N64 had several advantages over PS1, including a real Z-buffer (in fact it's the only system that gen that understood "real" 3D; both PS1 and Saturn basically had really smart 2D super-DSPs (well, Saturn used a 2nd SH2 for that functionality) to calculate complex math coordinates, but neither one actually "knew" it was outputting 3D coordinates in a 3D space the way the N64 did) and more VRAM as well as a much faster CPU. Even the Saturn has some advantages over PS1 including raw polygonal output, VRAM, better 2D hardware (thanks to VDP2) and higher resolution output.

PS2 was overall weaker than both Gamecube and OG Xbox, only having a genuine advantage in terms of particle fillrate (and against Gamecube, higher-capacity discs). Even the Dreamcast was better than PS2 in areas like deferred rendering, VRAM amount, color saturation and resolution output support, and it released over a year ahead of Sony's system.

PS3's main strength was Cell's flexibility to make up for its weak GPU; had it not been for Cell I doubt even 1st-party PS3 titles would've caught up to 360's mid-gen releases. That's how bad the RSX was, as well as the split memory pool (big reason why PS3 couldn't support cross-game chat like 360 did). The flexibility of the SPEs are what helped PS3 perform on par with 360 visually, but it was mainly the budget Sony pumped into latter-gen 1st party like TLOU that helped those games look better than 360 titles (at least technically). Otherwise besides arguably blu-ray, PS3 had no other advantages over 360 and it took a long time for the SPEs to be utilized effectively even by their 1st parties.

PS4 is the only Sony system that has been clearly better than the competitor at release and during its generation. Even then, the XBO did have a slightly higher CPU clockspeed. Basically the notion of Sony chasing for the "power crown" every gen is a false narrative when you look at their history. So it's more likely to continue with historical trends going forward than go against them.

EDIT: Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens beat me to the punch kinda sorta mostly on this, but I think they were speaking to a generally different point and just bringing up prior consoles to set an example.

Last edited:

DrDamn

To an extent there are some good reasons for this. The support you get for three console you buy depends on sales and where those sales are. Not enough sales and support is lower. Sales concentrated in one or two regions will mean more games targeted at those audiences. Good global sales equals good global support.

That said good competition is good for owners of each, so it's beneficial for both to sell well. That gives a bigger global audience for both and makes the manufacturers work harder for your money. This will be particularly true where technically the consoles are similar.

Sussoloc

Well, that's the main thing made it sell worldwide pretty good. All I've seen were pirated except one early copy a cousin had before PS3 being available. Imagine having new games for as low as $2.6.
I wouldn't say main thing, because 630M to 749M is not that much of a difference. Many movie lovers bought the PS3 just because it was the cheapest Blu Ray Player on the market at some point, but i wouldn't say it was the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom