• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepEnigma DeepEnigma Not in software dev industry. Programmers in their best state of mind (make mistakes), many of us have done it and faced the consequences. Drinking on the job is out of the equation.

O On Demand Those are my opinions. I am not inclined towards one brand. I will put it out there, I will buy the cheapest new console (maybe the lockhardt).I am one amongst very few here, who is not that much into graphic fidelity.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Let me fix it for you mate, the one who fits your narrative, he knows. The one who doesn't fit your narrative, doesn't know.

Simple as that.

Well, we don’t know the reveal date do we? The people who know about the reveal are not speaking.

dude. no. just no. go back and read this thread and see how many people here refused to entertain double digits. this is aggravating, we are now completely disregarding actual history.

double digits is not 12. now ive heard everything. 12 must be triple digits. absolutely shameful stuff.

when klee said double digits in 12 august, all xbox fans hiding behind their team thermals moniker jumped down his throats. he went out of his way to describe the actual conversations he had with his source who confirmed that both consoles were double digits, were more powerful than the navi 5700xt and had more tflops. when harrassed time and time again by team thermals who refused to go above 10 and asked if it was 10.1 or 10.2, he said no, higher.

one thing this gen has showed me is how toxic some fanbases can be. here is a guy who was proven right in the end, and yet the harrassment he received has continued. like wtf more do you have to do? OsirisBlack OsirisBlack be prepared to recieve the same backlash after the ps5 reveal because its clear that these people live in an alternate reality where 12 tflops is not double digits. they are completely delusional to the point they refused to believe the only guy who said their precious console was more powerful than the 5700xt in terms of rdna tflops.

feel free to shit on him when ps5 turns out to be 9 tflops, but as for right now, phil himself has proven him right. the xbox series x being 12 tflops proves him right. period. end of story. otherwise, get checked for borderline personality disorders because your ability to perceive reality is completely skewed, this is not normal.
I meant that double digits is between 10-99 so he had extremely good chances to be correct (the XSX could be 10 and he would still be «correct» but nice reading comprehension. ). Oh and the most vocal member against double digits in the other forum was actually a Sony diehard fan (Bosch). He hasn’t been proven right in anything, the only thing that we know (which was another easy, educated guess from him based simply in the past) is that we would have a ps5 reveal in February with him informing us that he would return then. Well....we are waiting.

Saying double digits (without of course saying a more solid, accurate number until after the gaming awards when everyone and their mothers was writing about 12 TF), after many said that next gen consoles are aiming to surpass the stadia’s 10.7 TF, amazing inside info.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I first started gaming playing games that looked like the ones below (and I loved them) so to me, what you are posting is mind blowing and kids don't know how good they have it!

hqdefault.jpg

International-Soccer-C64-Trophy.png

In that era, this game was the most terrifying game ever, especially when you fail.

hqdefault.jpg

Watch at 0:47

I meant that double digits is between 10-99 so he had extremely good chances to be correct (the XSX could be 10 and he would still be «correct» but nice reading comprehension. ). Oh and the most vocal member against double digits in the other forum was actually a Sony diehard fan (Bosch). He hasn’t been proven right in anything, the only thing that we know (which was another easy, educated guess from him based simply in the past) is that we would have a ps5 reveal in February with him informing us that he would return then. Well....we are waiting.

Saying double digits (without of course saying a more solid, accurate number), after many said that next gen consoles are aiming to surpass the stadia’s 10.7 TF, amazing inside info.
Atleast go follow the conversation. First person who said it’s 12 tf rdna was Klee like 3 min after tga reveal where everyone was confused about gcn vs rdna . Don’t try to change facts

JLB

Banned
Clock changes are easier than cu count changes and the like, which require a complete redo. Yes it’s tricky because it puts other areas out (as I said earlier in another post) but much easier. That wouldn’t take a year, it can be done with a quick enough turn around.

The RDNa thing for both consoles I also talked about earlier too in this post:

“Both systems are rdna 2, but not. They are essentially rdna 1.9 so to speak, with features bolted on, meaning that you can call it the next generation of rdna, you could even call it rdna 2 if you wanted. I wouldn’t myself but that seems to be what they are doing so ok.”

interesting, thanks. i thought that rena2 is kind of a specification you should fully implement in order to accomplish such standard.
Weird that MS said that is rdna2 when maybe it is not.

When I was told that PSV Debug Kits where over 12TF. I was told extra head room for PSVR2. I didn’t get an exact number over 12TF the Debug Kits where. Also Debug Kits are the Dev version of the console.

They said they was Target for 10TF for the game they are working on as launch Window PSV and Xbox Series X game.

Now if Target Is 10TF that doesn’t mean the retail Console is only 10TF. There could still be some over Head available. My speculation is if 10TF is Target for a launch Window game then Retail will be between 10-11TF.

They also stated Xbox Series X was a Target was 11TF before moving Target to 12TF.

Also If PSV is 10-11 TF retail. Is a 10TF or 11TF GPU vs a 12TF GPU the final decision which is more powerful or who has advantage. Answer No. The reason why you can’t say a 10TF-11TF vs 12TF is the difference is because of SSD. Sony’s PS5 supposedly has an SSD that has a 1GB advantage over Xbox Series X.

That Matters more then you think. Because of texture caching aka Mega Texture or Tile Resourcing. What ever term you name it. 1GB for Texture Caching can make a difference. Do You need a Higher End TFlop Number when you can lower the work on Your GPU? Also maybe save some Dollars on the GPU?

My Speculation is they will be close in Performance.

Last edited:
Atleast go follow the conversation. First person who said it’s 12 tf rdna was Klee like 3 min after tga reveal where everyone was confused about gcn vs rdna . Don’t try to change facts
You mean after MS made an official statement mentioning RDNA ? It was right there, not my fault that some Sony fans wanted to keep preaching otherwise, which some continued to do before yesterday. Nobody else was confused the articles arrived just after MS’ announcement all said RDNA .

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned

Saying double digits (without of course saying a more solid, accurate number until after the gaming awards when everyone and their mothers was writing about 12 TF), after many said that next gen consoles are aiming to surpass the stadia’s 10.7 TF, amazing inside info.
Nope, everyone and their mother were expecting the consoles to be less than 10 TFlops, if you said at that time 9 TF in your predictions you would get banned for trolling because it was too much for a console in 2020, Klee was bashed and insulted when he said that both are double digits. Not ONE whisper was saying XSX or PS5 is double digits.

Stop it man, admit it, you just don't want Klee to be correct because it would make the PlayStation 5 more powerful than XSX.

Last edited:

Kobi

K Kobi Hey what AMD post are you referring to? Was it posted yesterday? Because I definitely would've missed it if they did (with all the other stuff that was happening yesterday) xD.

Ah you know its all good. It was the old amd post from last year that said about ps5 was Navi but Scarlett was next gen rdna (but Xbox also said in Scarlett video they are using Navi). Was just a thought since xsx was confirmed as rdna 2 if their was a chance ps5 was rdna 1. But I think it should be safe to say the ps5 is also rdna 2.

Amd said rdna 2 on 7nm+, but next gen consoles are on 7nm. Which would roughly line up with Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens saying that are about 1.9 rdna - so close that they can call it rdna 2.

But you never know haha.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Saying double digits (without of course saying a more solid, accurate number), after many said that next gen consoles are aiming to surpass the stadia’s 10.7 TF, amazing inside info.
again, this is revisionist history. bringing up bosch when you have r600 as the leader of team thermals on this very board is crazy. ignoring colbert who led the harassment campaign by pretending to be william fucking shakespeare on twitter is again absolutely bizarre. and bosch never harrassed klee or called him a piece of shit like shepshal, senjustusage and others.

and lastly, ignoring my entire post which lists out the fact that he was literally the first guy to confirm double digit rdna tflops is a pretty shitty thing to do.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Nothing changed...MS announces 12 TF (again, they basically announced it in December) not 11. something, unless they are rounding the number, which I really doubt. You didn’t dare to try and get verified on the other forum, not that the other forum has better «insiders» anyway. Hey how about that 4k drive in pro, eh ? The blue pill or the red pill ? You aren’t drinking in any bar, you are constantly here posting fantasies.

Anyway all this BS will eventually come to an end though if you still present yourself as an insider after the pro/Xbx debacle nothing will change even if the ps5 is 8 (or 15) TF.

And risk getting doxed by a forum that promotes it within their community and staff?

This is a testament as to his trust here.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, we now have Xbox Series X with:

- 12 TF RDNA 2.0 with Hardware RT & VRS.
- 8 cores & 16 threads Zen 2 CPU at 3.2 GHz or around it.
- 16 GB GDDR6 with very high memory bandwidth (I think it's the safest bet).
- NVMe SSD as fast as the fastest ones out there.

Well, this here is better than 95-98% of PC gamers' gaming rigs, rivals high-end gaming PCs, that means PC gamers have to upgrade their PCs to be up-to-par with consoles now to be able to play those Next-gen games at 60FPS or higher settings, I would only imagine how much more powerful GPUs/CPUs/RAM/SSDs you'll need to even run next-gen games at 60FPS and higher settings and especially Ubisoft's un-optimized games.....Oh my!

They seem to me that they over-estimate PC gaming a lot. Not to mentioned that nearly more than 99% will be below next gen specs.

1699959091586f9e4ea5b978ae8a01c9.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

When I was told that PSV Debug Kits where over 12TF. I was told extra head room for PSVR2. I didn’t get an exact number over 12TF the Debug Kits where. Also Debug Kits are the Dev version of the console.

They said they was Target for 10TF for the game they are working on as launch Window PSV and Xbox Series X game.

Now if Target Is 10TF that doesn’t mean the retail Console is only 10TF. There could still be some over Head available. My speculation is if 10TF is Target for a launch Window game then Retail will be between 10-11TF.

They also stated Xbox Series X was a Target was 11TF before moving Target to 12TF.

Also If PSV is 10-11 TF retail. Is a 10TF or 11TF GPU vs a 12TF GPU the final decision which is more powerful or who has advantage. Answer No. The reason why you can’t say a 10TF-11TF vs 12TF is the difference is because of SSD. Sony’s PS5 supposedly has an SSD that has a 1GB advantage over Xbox Series X.

That Matters more then you think. Because of texture caching aka Mega Texture or Tile Resourcing. What ever term you name it. 1GB for Texture Caching can make a difference. Do You need a Higher End TFlop Number when you can lower the work on Your GPU? Also maybe save some Dollars on the GPU?

My Speculation is they will be close in Performance.
if the devkit was 12 tflops, the console should be 12 tflops. sony devkits in the past didnt have extra headroom for tflops. that was only MS with their 6.6 tflops x1x gpu. sony's ps4 pro and ps4 devkits were at the exact tflops counts as the retail versions.

that said, thanks for sharing your impressions. did you hear anything about ray tracing on the ps5?

but my understanding is that you can make slight improvements like when xbox one got a little bit overclocked.
If ps5 was had an original 2019 release date, then it isnt rdna2 right? is it possible to move from rdna to rdna2 in such short timeframe?

Personally, I strongly doubt it. And if so they would've thrown away hundreds of millions worth of R&D regards hardware, OS and API stack optimizations for the original spec. That would create something of a nightmare for the development process I'd imagine.

It's why I think PS5 is most likely RDNA1 with RDNA2 features added into it. Would think most all of the key ones are present like VRR and VRS. At least, that seems to be the most sensible position to have for now until for information comes forth (or better yet, Sony themselves start talking about some of PS5's specifications again).

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
interesting, thanks. i thought that rena2 is kind of a specification you should fully implement in order to accomplish such standard.

I’m trying to think of the best way to describe it and I really can’t think of a suitable example (so I’ll use a game engine) but from what I can gather, you can rewrite a game engine everything from scratch, or you can bolt on new features to an existing engine. Both will get you the result you want, but obviously only one will be a new fresh engine. So while you will get RDNA 2 features, its more like RDNA 1.9 In that it’s not quite the full deal, but does the job just fine. Same on both consoles btw, they both do it a little different but same result.

WhispersintheWind WhispersintheWind if one SSD is 2gb/sec and the other is 1gb/sec then yes that 1gb/sec difference is quite large and will show up a lot in games. If one is nearly 6 and the other is barely 1 different... you won’t be seeing that. What I mean is you will, on first party games, but 99% of the time you won’t see much of anything. It’s the same as saying if you have a 1 tf difference between a 1tf and a 2tf console, the gap is massive, but a 12 and an 11? It’s nothing worth even worrying about .

I’ll say it again, these consoles are going to be so close you will likely look at screens and videos and only tell because one says press Square to jump and the other says Press B. You’re not going to get this huge difference this time. That pisses a lot of fan boys off, on both sides.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And risk getting doxed by a forum that promotes it within their community and staff?

I'd honestly be worried giving info to them when already posting here tbh.

One little slip up they don't like combing your social media history from 2008, and those little man cunts will be harassing your employers.

demigod

Nothing changed...MS announces 12 TF (again, they basically announced it in December) not 11. something, unless they are rounding the number, which I really doubt. You didn’t dare to try and get verified on the other forum, not that the other forum has better «insiders» anyway. Hey how about that 4k drive in pro, eh ? The blue pill or the red pill ? You aren’t drinking in any bar, you are constantly here posting fantasies.

Anyway all this BS will eventually come to an end though if you still present yourself as an insider after the pro/Xbx debacle nothing will change even if the ps5 is 8 (or 15) TF.

This isn't era, go back over there if you want to call Osiris out. He's already sent dick pics to Mod of War.

Kusarigama

The only Sony console that was cutting edge was the fist PlayStation with its dedicated 3D graphics chip. The ps2 was cutting edge in delivering games with awful image quality, the ps3 was weaker than the xbox360 and was released a year later, the ps4 was anything but cutting edge (a run of the mill console design) which seemed «cutting edge» next to the fuck up that was the Xbox one and the ps4pro was as conservative as it could be in everything.

Meanwhile the first Xbox set the trends that we would see with the next generations of consoles to come (standard Hd, pc-like architecture, super powerful Gpu, broadband multiplayer), the xbox360 had a Gpu with new features even compared to what was available in the pc graphics cards at that time and the Xbox one x managed to be a beast in a relatively compact form while being ultra silent.

Now we are back to Microsoft being the traditional Microsoft , which means that their consoles are synonymous with power. Let’s see what the ps5 will have under its hood and what «unique» features it will have. I make a prediction, we will have lots of secret sauce and other bullshit once Sony finally reveals some of the ps5 specs. Phil Spencer told the MS hardware team «Make the most powerful console you can without having the traditional console form factor in mind» , let’s wait and see if Sony did the same.
Having 8GB of GDDR5 RAM was cutting edge in PS4, Share-play and remote play was cutting edge. Having a game streaming platform 1st was cutting edge. But as cheeky lil dissing fanboy you skipped mentioning how bad xbox one damage control was. Folks from MS straight up lying to make up for their box's shortcomings

JLB

Banned
I’m trying to think of the best way to describe it and I really can’t think of a suitable example (so I’ll use a game engine) but from what I can gather, you can rewrite a game engine everything from scratch, or you can bolt on new features to an existing engine. Both will get you the result you want, but obviously only one will be a new fresh engine. So while you will get RDNA 2 features, its more like RDNA 1.9 In that it’s not quite the full deal, but does the job just fine. Same on both consoles btw, they both do it a little different but same result.

WhispersintheWind WhispersintheWind if one SSD is 2gb/sec and the other is 1gb/sec then yes that 1gb/sec difference did quite large and will show up a lot in games. If one is nearly 6 and the other is barely 1 different... you won’t be seeing that. What I mean is you will, on first party games, but 99% of the time you won’t see much of anything. It’s the same as saying if you have a 1 tf difference between a 1tf and a 2tf console, the gap is massive, but a 12 and an 11? It’s nothing worth even worrying about .

Interesting, i thought rdna2 kind of a programing interface. let say, a la java, if a particular api is defined (methods, full signatures) then to be compliant the full api signatures should be inplemented. In truth, although, most api implementations are 95%ish compliant, and maybe even include some non standard signatures. I guess this is what is kinda happenning here

again, this is revisionist history. bringing up bosch when you have r600 as the leader of team thermals on this very board is crazy. ignoring colbert who led the harassment campaign by pretending to be william fucking shakespeare on twitter is again absolutely bizarre. and bosch never harrassed klee or called him a piece of shit like shepshal, senjustusage and others.

and lastly, ignoring my entire post which lists out the fact that he was literally the first guy to confirm double digit rdna tflops is a pretty shitty thing to do.
I am new here... but I saw this happen. The way harassment happened on Era was shameful.. I expected more from them.. maybe I shouldn't have. Guys like Colbert derailing threads, shifting the agenda as he sees fit. A cult of personality where speaking fluff to detract from anything Sony does positive is the name of the game.
And now.. that next gen thread has turned vile overnight.

DrDamn

They said "custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures." - so that could mean some but not all RDNA2. You'd think they'd at least have some customisation they'd prefer over AMD's standards.

You mean after MS made an official statement mentioning RDNA ? It was right there, not my fault that some Sony fans wanted to keep preaching otherwise, which some continued to do before yesterday. Nobody else was confused the articles arrived just after MS’ announcement all said RDNA .

It seemed to be largely the PC fans who doubted it was RDNA TF from what I read that was over there not here though. Logically if you were a Sony fan and thought PS5 was comparable or even slightly ahead of XSX you'd want XSX to be as high as possible.

Nope, everyone and their mother were expecting the consoles to be less than 10 TFlops, if you said at that time 9 TF in your predictions you would get banned for trolling because it was too much for a console in 2020, Klee was bashed and insulted when he said that both are double digits. Not ONE whisper was saying XSX or PS5 is double digits.

Stop it man, admit it, you just don't want Klee to be correct because it would make the PlayStation 5 more powerful than XSX.
It goes both ways , you want him to be right because it would make the ps5 more powerful.

Anyway seriously, was anyone here reading gamefan ? Because anyone who was will be able to tell you how «correct» gamefan usually was.

Klee said double digits (without saying RDNA or anything before the GA and MS’ announcement) just like other people, like Jason and I believe there were DF articles speculating that, had (again no mention of RDNA before the GA). Klee was also saying ps5 reveal in February and «I will return in February». Klee was also incredibly active before MS showed the XSX, preaching with a certain agenda before going to radio silence and eventually asking for a ban because people were harassing him, in a videogames’ forum !!! Weird how he didn’t stay to enjoy the confirmation of his inside info.

Mr Moose

They said "custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures." - so that could mean some but not all RDNA2. You'd think they'd at least have some customisation they'd prefer over AMD's standards.
Yeah, they said "Custom RDNA 2" on Twitter, too.

It goes both ways , you want him to be right because it would make the ps5 more powerful.

Anyway seriously, was anyone here reading gamefan ? Because anyone who was will be able to tell you how «correct» gamefan usually was.

Klee said double digits (without saying RDNA or anything before the GA and MS’ announcement) just like other people, like Jason and I believe there were DF articles speculating that, had (again no mention of RDNA before the GA). Klee was also saying ps5 reveal in February and «I will return in February». Klee was also incredibly active before MS showed the XSX, preaching with a certain agenda before going to radio silence and eventually asking for a ban because people were harassing him, in a videogames’ forum !!! Weird how he didn’t stay to enjoy the confirmation of his inside info.
Aren't all Navi GPUs RDNA?

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned

No, he said Navi RDNA for both, man, stop lying, you liar, he said PS5 and XSX are gonna be RDNA-based GPUs.

SlimySnake

I am new here... but I saw this happen. The way harassment happened on Era was shameful.. I expected more from them.. maybe I shouldn't have. Guys like Colbert derailing threads, shifting the agenda as he sees fit. A cult of personality where speaking fluff to detract from anything Sony does positive is the name of the game.
And now.. that next gen thread has turned vile overnight.
This post should be threadmarked.

lol it was hilarious how they tried to prop up each other by asking everything to be threadmarked. especially penello's post. a guy who was laughed out of this forum has reinvented himself over there as a respectable insider. he was the one who started the $399 8 tflops, now 9 ps5 predictions. no one else was saying anything about 8 tflops back then. github didnt leak until december but penello was sure sony was going with 8 tflops and $399 for almost a year before that.

whats even more interesting is how he should know that simply going with a smaller die and 8-9 tflops wouldnt cut $100. they will still need a more comprehensive cooling solution. the ssd, ram and all other components will cost the same, so how can a $20 difference in silicon get sony to $399. he knew they cant. its simply not possible. and yet he continued to peddle that theory anyway.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Interesting, i thought rdna2 kind of a programing interface. let say, a la java, if a particular api is defined (methods, full signatures) then to be compliant the full api signatures should be inplemented. In truth, although, most api implementations are 95%ish compliant, and maybe even include some non standard signatures. I guess this is what is kinda happenning here

ok let’s go with that. When you write a new app or language you don’t throw away everything and start from scratch, you don’t make everything different. Version revisions (1.0 to 2.0) usually signify massive fundamental changes that a simple revision (1.0 to 1.1) wouldn’t cover.

So in this case, you are essentially basing off rdna 1.0, and taking the features you want, and integrating them as required. Rdna 1 Doesn’t allow a lot of what these consoles are doing, at all. But rdna 2 is too new for it to be a reality anyway. So, what do you do? You modify the existing language to fit your needs.

Not the first time and not the last. It’s a next generational rdna, it’s just not the full fledged version you will likey see in next and gpus.

If he trusted this forum he wouldn’t try to get verified in the other forum you know.
Having 8GB of GDDR5 RAM was cutting edge in PS4, Share-play and remote play was cutting edge. Having a game streaming platform 1st was cutting edge. But as cheeky lil dissing fanboy you skipped mentioning how bad xbox one damage control was. Folks from MS straight up lying to make up for their box's shortcomings
I actually mention the Xbox one as a big fuck up, that’s more than enough. The ps5 was a weak and conservative console by 2013 standards that became a mythical console because the Xbox one was shit. Yeah the psnow was really cutting edge, so cutting edge that Sony changed it completely when MS brought gamepass.

If Sony is more powerful or even now would be the time to reveal to COMPLETELY take the wind out of this reveal. Then again it won't probably make one bit of sales difference come November

If Xbox Series X is more powerful than a PS5, than wouldn't Microsoft boast they have the most powerful console? I'm pretty sure that, at this point, both companies know each other specs. Microsoft announced Project Scorpio, at E3 2016, as the world's most powerful console way before Sony announced PS4 Pro.

For MS not to do this, both consoles must be extremely similar in power. Besides, considering PS5 also uses HW RT, it is most likely using RDNA 2 arch as well.

Sony also has to take into account the Lockhart SKU. They are probably waiting for MS to price the Series X. I would expect that to happen around E3.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
ok let’s go with that. When you write a new app or language you don’t throw away everything and start from scratch, you don’t make everything different. Version revisions (1.0 to 2.0) usually signify massive fundamental changes that a simple revision (1.0 to 1.1) wouldn’t cover.

So in this case, you are essentially basing off rdna 1.0, and taking the features you want, and integrating them as required. Rdna 1 Doesn’t allow a lot of what these consoles are doing, at all. But rdna 2 is too new for it to be a reality anyway. So, what do you do? You modify the existing language to fit your needs.

Not the first time and not the last. It’s a next generational rdna, it’s just not the full fledged version you will likey see in next and gpus.

cool. i also extrapolated from mu development expertise that moving from 1.x to 2.x meant backwards incompatible changes (like in SEMVER) but based on what you said it could just be a feature set increment.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Off topic, but I stopped posting on era when I was issued with a temp ban and warning a year or so ago. The crime? I said: just because something is normal, it doesn’t make it right. A long time ago it was normal for men to hit their wives, but now it’s obviously not.

Got temp banned and warned... Im verified and everything there, but I don’t have time for that sort of shit...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom