• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED Guy?

Banned
The SX won’t have 13gb for games. It will have either 16+4/8 or 16+something else. It won’t limit it to 13gb, it would be suicide, even more so against a higher memory PS5. The speeds are up for debate, yes, but I highly, highly doubt they would be this short sighted but in the ball with everything else, even more so when this is the exact same misstep that happened last gen (banking on Sony only having 4gb, switched to 8gb).

In fact o wouldn’t be surprised to see either console bump that 16gb up even. Even last gen, 2 years ago, 16gb for games was pushing it. I see no reason why a machine that has to last another 6-8 years would be stuck with an such a low figure, when everything else is top shelf. Even more so when you think about memory being so important at such high resolutions (both screen and asset).
So you're saying both consoles will be higher than 16 GB RAM? Or maybe this is just hypothetically speaking?

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

My guess is that sony will talk ps5 around the launch of tlou and ghost. Teller that ps5 will run these games natively because of hardware bc with PS4 + cross buy with selected titels upgrades for ps5 hardware. 9,2tf will bring a BIG jump 😜

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So you're saying both consoles will be higher than 16 GB RAM?

No, it’s tricky, let me explain. 13gb isn’t enough, so disregard that. It’s enough for lockhart, and I would assume that it could be using that, but not for a main console, not with just how large assets get and how much resolution has increased. 13gb isn’t enough.

Now I’m of the personal opinion that 16gb isn’t even enough - it’s the bare MINIMUM, but it’s not what I would use. However memory costs money, which increase bom cost. The issue is that IF the Ps5 has slightly higher clocked memory, for the SX to have less would be a double punch, it wouldn’t work. To have less and slower? You would be swapping in more and drawing it slower, meaning even if your console was a few tf faster, it would be for nothing. So, while PS5 can have faster clocked memory, it’s essential for the SX to, at the very least, match it in size.

But as to what that size i? Last time memory was mentioned to me, multiple people were talking 16. However as I said, when I spoke about anything extra for the OS (for example, let’s say an additional separate DDR4 4gb chip, just for OS) I was told that’s one way to do it, but there is something special going on. The way it was worded to me made it seem like the OS is running in a virtual memory type deal, because that SSDs are fast, and so you actually don’t need anything extra. But that’s my interpretation, it’s not something I can prove.

As a baseline, I would go with 16gb for both systems, but I ask wouldn’t rule out either both systems or one (and imo, the SX would be the likely candidate here) having more memory. The issue is, it’s not really a case of pop one off and another off like on a pc. If you have more memory, you need to feed it, and that costs valuable cpu cycles when pushed. So, it’s a bit of a chicken and egg type deal... it’s all about balance.

edit: keep in mind the above is for memory. Not for SSD speed, which last I heard was about 1-1.5gb/sec faster in favour of Sony, but with that, the actual speed increase won’t provide anything substantial for gameplay, it will will essentially be a wash with a few fringe case exceptions.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Have you tried this?

hero_onrush_2018-2.jpg

It is the most motorstorm game this gen, it's really good.

I did and I bounced off it unfortunately. I liked the idea but I also wanted to properly race and that wasn't there. Ironically if it was an additional mode to a racing game I'd probably have liked it more, and I respect that they had the faith and balls to go for it as the core gameplay, but I just didn't get on with it. I didn't feel enough connection with what I was doing and the impact it was having on winning - if that makes sense?

I loved me some DriveClub though - the set-up, handling, challenges etc. All fantastic fun and one of my favourite races this generation. That's before you even get on to the graphical prowess and variable weather systems.

ZywyPL

Banned
BC will just become a moot point, because both new consoles should provide very high compatibility with this generation of games. MS does not need to worry about it, and neither will Sony.

That's not what I meant, BC with current-gen is a given no doubts, what I meant is that MS will have a tough time convincing all those 100MLN people to abandon their hundreds-thousands $$ worth libraries and switch the camp.

It wasn't much of an an issue back in the days because in order to play let's say PS2 games you had to keep the PS2 with you (excluding the early PS3 models), so nothing was stopping you from buying X360 instead of PS3. But now, I really don't see anyone wanting to repurchase Fortnite or Minecraft just to continue playing it. Countless hours in GTA Online, gone. CoD, BF, Destiny etc. all gone. Assasin's Creed collections, worthless.

I could go on and on with the examples, but I think you get the idea, people invested not only huge amount of money but also huge amount of time into current-gen titles (that's exactly what GAAS are meant for), and now they will be given the opportunity to keep all of it intact if they simply choose PS5 as their next-gen system, while MS at least as of now has literally nothing to offer to counter that. Because why would anyone heavily attached to all the 3rd party titles wanted to get XBX and lose everything, and would need to either buy everything they want to keep/get back to again, or have to keep the PS4. Because people who really want to play Halo/Gears/Forza are already there on the Xbox, and they will most likely stay in that ecosystem for the exact same reason.

Actually as i think of it now, BC might single-handedly make the upcoming generation the least exciting, because the vast majority of people will just migrate on the newer version of the system they already own. It's like switching from PC to Mac - why would you want to lose all your library when you can just upgrade your current PC or get a new one, and keep everything you got?

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
No, it’s tricky, let me explain. 13gb isn’t enough, so disregard that. It’s enough for lockhart, and I would assume that it could be using that, but not for a main console, not with just how large assets get and how much resolution has increased. 13gb isn’t enough.

Now I’m of the personal opinion that 16gb isn’t even enough - it’s the bare MINIMUM, but it’s not what I would use. However memory costs money, which increase bom cost. The issue is that IF the Ps5 has slightly higher clocked memory, for the SX to have less would be a double punch, it wouldn’t work. To have less and slower? You would be swapping in more and drawing it slower, meaning even if your console was a few tf faster, it would be for nothing. So, while PS5 can have faster clocked memory, it’s essential for the SX to, at the very least, match it in size.

But as to what that size i? Last time memory was mentioned to me, multiple people were talking 16. However as I said, when I spoke about anything extra for the OS (for example, let’s say an additional separate DDR4 4gb chip, just for OS) I was told that’s one way to do it, but there is something special going on. The way it was worded to me made it seem like the OS is running in a virtual memory type deal, because that SSDs are fast, and so you actually don’t need anything extra. But that’s my interpretation, it’s not something I can prove.

As a baseline, I would go with 16gb for both systems, but I ask wouldn’t rule out either both systems or one (and imo, the SX would be the likely candidate here) having more memory. The issue is, it’s not really a case of pop one off and another off like on a pc. If you have more memory, you need to feed it, and that costs valuable cpu cycles when pushed. So, it’s a bit of a chicken and egg type deal... it’s all about balance.

edit: keep in mind the above is for memory. Not for SSD speed, which last I heard was about 1-1.5gb/sec faster in favour of Sony, but with that, the actual speed increase won’t provide anything substantial for gameplay, it will will essentially be a wash with a few fringe case exceptions.
OK man, thanks for the write-up, I really appreciate it.

Also yeah, I expect both consoles will have 16 GB GDDR6 as a base expectation, anything more is a bonus,

SSDs are an exciting thing to have for consoles, definitely. I know on the old PS4 there are some benefits even there. On the PS4 Pro, Final Fantasy XIV benefits greatly from it, imo.

Has anybody tried The Division 2 on PS4/Pro with an SSD? Any difference?

The SX won’t have 13gb for games. It will have either 16+4/8 or 16+something else. It won’t limit it to 13gb, it would be suicide, even more so against a higher memory PS5. The speeds are up for debate, yes, but I highly, highly doubt they would be this short sighted but in the ball with everything else, even more so when this is the exact same misstep that happened last gen (banking on Sony only having 4gb, switched to 8gb).

In fact o wouldn’t be surprised to see either console bump that 16gb up even. Even last gen, 2 years ago, 16gb for games was pushing it. I see no reason why a machine that has to last another 6-8 years would be stuck with an such a low figure, when everything else is top shelf. Even more so when you think about memory being so important at such high resolutions (both screen and asset).
Having a conservative (as in low) amount of ram is exactly the opposite to MS's strategy last gen, where they sacrificed 30% their CUs to have more available ram. Going with more teraflops and not so much ram was Sony's strategy. Aren't you some kind of insider? I would expect you to know this.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Hello to all NeoGAF members.

I just got registered and approved but have been reading this thread for a while now. I became quite addicted to it.

I would like to share some information about the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and rumoured Xbox Series S, that was confirmed to a French veteran journalist, Julien Chièze, from his sources in a YouTube video. He's been independent for a couple of years now but has still very strong relations with people working (including developers) in the industry. I trust him because he is very precautious with the information he shares. He's not the kind of journalist that will spread rumours or fake news.

I'd like to recap here some of the points that were confirmed to him by his sources. I will be quoting his saying and try to provide the best English translation possible.

I think Microsoft value proposition is very interesting. Having two models and the possibility to play on PC (and the future cloud gaming service Project xCloud) will give the customer the choice on which hardware/platform they want to play according to their financial capacity. That is very smart.

Sony, having only one model, doesn't want to segment its user base and want to make sure that everyone gets to play the same game with the same visual fidelity level and experience.

In any case, I personally strongly believe that the hardware is not that important, it's the game offering (quality and quantity) that will make a difference unless you are only interested in the technical aspect of a game. In the latter case, you should go for the high-end Xbox Series X or build your own PC.
Nice, all this info seems to line up with what we've been hearing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Having a conservative (as in low) amount of ram is exactly the opposite to MS's strategy last gen, where they sacrificed 30% their CUs to have more available ram. Going with more teraflops and not so much ram was Sony's strategy. Aren't you some kind of insider? I would expect you to know this.

I’m not an insider. I’m an outsider, that is I have contacts but don’t have a console on my desk. And what makes you think anybody with any form of inside knowledge would know every last detail? Have you seen those “””leaks””” where they know everything, the launch games, the price, the specs? You know there’s a reason they are so easy to spot right?

The stuff I do know, well, most of it’s been true thus far, and the only one that hasn’t (11.5-11.6 ps5) hasn’t been revealed yet. Some stuff I’ve said is specific, as in couldn’t be guessed, either.

Anyway, no. I wouldn’t expect a real insider to know some things. You can’t compare last gen to this gen. last gen, MS banked on Sony only having 4gb, and that was a last minute secret when they upped it to 8. Also last gen, MS used 8gb ddr3due to their multimedia strategy, which backfired massively, not to mention the whole kinect issue. The thing is, the Xbox last gen was fine for a console, it’s just sony went balls deep with theirs, and when that went up against the mistakes MS made, it cost them. Massively.

Memory, for this generation, is a hotly kept secret. Getting anything concrete out of anybody is very tricky, and I have my reasons as to why that is. The issue guys is that this generation isn’t going to be won on pure tf power. It’s too close to call. So, each “side” is trying to outplay the other, right up to the damn finishing line.

Last edited:

The Shift

Banned

It wouldn't shock me if Microsoft are audacious enough to deliver the Dashboard via RemoteApp - the same Dashboard the user has in xCloud. That would drastically reduce memory and system performance for that task. If Offline then fallback to a local process.

nd.

Neo Member
welcome to the site. not to pick on you but this is basically all the old info we had with few mistakes in there. RT has been inside PS5 devkits since last April. so what he says that recently its RDNA2(with RT) doesn't make much sense . also target spec was finalized and sent with V shape dev kit since april 2019 for PS5. so since then most dev have that target specs and target specs for XSX has been out since jan 2019. so changing devkit revisions doesn't change target specs. which is what matters most for the devs.

Also the bit about sony being unhappy at AMD about PS5 after they hear about XSX sounds fan-boyish non sense. both these companies see exactly what AMD has and based on their budget they order. so if sony went with cheaper gpu and MS went with more expensive, how can , say in a meeting, sony be mad at AMD for getting a weaker GPU for cheaper price? which makes that sentence nonsense .Its like i order a base BMW 3 series and my buddy gets a BMW M3 for double the price, then i go and get mad at BMW for doing that.lol

Basically everyone since last year knows the TF count on these two machines based on target specs given by MS and sony to 3rd parties. which one is higher ? no one knows but even both sony and MS dont seem too confident to call their consoles most powerful console yet( Sony remians to be seen what they call it but MS calls it "our most powerful console")

He didn't mention anything about RT. He just confirms that PS5 dev kits used to be RDNA 1 and that with the 3rd kit it uses RDNA 2. That is a major change in the hardware and that change was motivated with the emerging information of XSX using latest RDNA.

Won't the faster SSD mean faster texture streaming which mean less time for stuff in the ram .
So you won't need such a huge amount of RAM compare to before .
Of course more ram is always better but the SSD was suppose to help with that the faster the better .

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Won't the faster SSD mean faster texture streaming which mean less time for stuff in the ram .
Of course more ram is always better but the SSD was suppose to help with that the faster the better .

You still need ram, an SSD won’t negate that. Look at even the highest PS5 SSD rumour speed and compare that to the ram speed on for example a 2080, it’s not even remotely close.

The idea of a faster SSD is that it’s much, much quicker to pass things into and out of memory. But it doesn’t just mean memory is redundant. If that was the case we would be looking at 4tb custom SSD builds with 2gb ram or something.

However, the difference in random write and read speed between the two machines is quite small, and while yes, a dedicated team (such as Sony first party) will be able to use that, I would imagine that for everybody else, they won’t even be able to harness that speed increase as it’s so minimal.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Storage is commonly used as virtual/paging memory to compliment RAM. I don't think an SSD, as fast as it can be, could replace main memory.

Last edited:
SSDs are an exciting thing to have for consoles, definitely. I know on the old PS4 there are some benefits even there. On the PS4 Pro, Final Fantasy XIV benefits greatly from it, imo.

Has anybody tried The Division 2 on PS4/Pro with an SSD? Any difference?
Fast travel for example, I started it 10s later, but arrivrs 10s sooner(Compare to my friend).
PS4 Pro Samsung QLC using SATA port.
Actually ps4/ps4pro can't take fully advantage on ssd cause I remember they only support up to 300MB/s while a sata ssd can go up to 500MB/s

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Storage is commonly used as virtual/paging memory to compliment RAM. I don't think an SSD, as fast as it can be, could replace main memory.

It absolutely can’t, not for something like game media at this fidelity, no. But for none essential tasks that don’t require instant delivery...?

It’s an interesting prospect.

I personally still believe that more than likely, there will be an additional pool of memory just for OS tasks.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

That's what the devs keep saying, so that's exactly how it's gonna be, no matter what anyone will write on the internet (unless that person is making a PS5/XBX game and decides to go the oldschool way and fit everything into RAM).

But speaking solely about textures, X1X already offers 4K textures with its 9GB RAM available for games, so the potential 4GB extra could be spent on whatever. And if the rumors about additional 4GB DDR4 reserved just for the OS and thus leaving all of the (also rumored) 16GB RAM free to use for games are true, that's more than enough, it's almost twice as much as X1X (with as mentioned already 4K textures and 4K framebuffer), and little over three times as much as the base consoles.

ANIMAL1975

sorry. Can't. Private info and all.
Ok thanks mate. Was just wondering if you could provide something, since the context of why he was PMing you was right there on his post. But anyway thanks for your reply.

Hey BGs, my friend 😅
You can PM me too, whenever you feel the need to share all your knowledgeable first person insights... i'm a tomb.
Spanish and Portuguese people ❤️ hermanos para siempre!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
ZywyPL ZywyPL The Xbox one X has barely a handful of games that make use of additional high resolution texture assets.

As somebody who creates high fidelity media all the time let me just tell you, that shit EATS memory, and no SSD on the planet will be able to replace basic memory speeds of the main function of memory.

As for your 4k frame buffer that’s only part of the issue, the problem then comes from the quite simply enormous overhead of additional fillrate heavy processes that the X could only dream of running. This all costs a LOT, even more so if you want to run 1:1 basic picel mapping ratio. Good lord, it’s intense. Most of your GPU grunt alone goes on this, it’s insane.

Last edited:

Smoke6

He didn't mention anything about RT. He just confirms that PS5 dev kits used to be RDNA 1 and that with the 3rd kit it uses RDNA 2. That is a major change in the hardware and that change was motivated with the emerging information of XSX using latest RDNA.
I don’t believe so unless there is proof to this matter!

I think Sony used RDNA 1 until RDNA 2 was ready for devs to start using as production should begin soon. Also explains why MS dev kits were behind as they probably wanted devs to have that from the start.

just my opinion

You still need ram, an SSD won’t negate that. Look at even the highest PS5 SSD rumour speed and compare that to the ram speed on for example a 2080, it’s not even remotely close.

The idea of a faster SSD is that it’s much, much quicker to pass things into and out of memory. But it doesn’t just mean memory is redundant. If that was the case we would be looking at 4tb custom SSD builds with 2gb ram or something.

However, the difference in random write and read speed between the two machines is quite small, and while yes, a dedicated team (such as Sony first party) will be able to use that, I would imagine that for everybody else, they won’t even be able to harness that speed increase as it’s so minimal.

Of course the SSD could never replace ram since it much slower and can't be use for everything .
Just that it will help out with certain things so you can get away with having less ram to a certain degree .
Truthful they will need it since we will never be getting the ram jumps we have gotten in the past .
24GB of ram is only 3 times the amount of current gen but i don't even think we will get that with how expensive and hot that would be .

IR3TR0

Neo Member
Would like to see something of a resurgence in the racing genre, as it took something of a beating - at least in terms of popularity - this gen. More variety and invention in the arcade racer space please. Motorstorm remasters or spiritual successor of some sort too.

Takedown was always the go to for splitscreen with friends for me (Road rage mode). Great fun.
Yeah I agree, we need more variety next gen, stuff like split second and blur were near enough non existent this gen, along with the likes of motorstorm and pgr, hopefully some devs will give racers another shot.

I would never replace main memory, but with good programming they would be able to stream in a ton more detail, etc. due to the SSD's speed. This video perfectly kind of explains how they did stuff like that back in the PS1 days with Crash Bandicoot, so just take the same concept but speed it up to SSD/GDDR6 speeds and size, you can now imagine the type of details, etc they will be able to pull off with little to no load times.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The thing about the SSD is that it speeds up the access time to get those things into memory in the first place. As it stands no, you cannot replace memory with an SSD, it will be too sow for this sort of thing (though has its uses in other areas), but just having fast ram and fast SSD will be such a stupidly massive jump alone over the current gen it’s not even going to be funny. It just means that you can swap in and out new assets much, much quicker.

The trouble is, if you’re expecting instant loading of games... Might need to keep those expectations in check, at least for most games.

The thing about the SSD is that it speeds up the access time to get those things into memory in the first place. As it stands no, you cannot replace memory with an SSD, it will be too sow for this sort of thing (though has its uses in other areas), but just having fast ram and fast SSD will be such a stupidly massive jump alone over the current gen it’s not even going to be funny. It just means that you can swap in and out new assets much, much quicker.

The trouble is, if you’re expecting instant loading of games... Might need to keep those expectations in check, at least for most games.

Back to few secs of loading would be great .
This gen have become awful with loading even with devs hiding it in all sort of ways .
I love fighting games and they take so long now and growing up in arcade i am like WTF lol.

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah I would also like a new motorstorm, or driveclub even, just a shame that the original devs are no longer a team.

A proper MS remake, resembling that infamous E3 2005 trailer, a man can dream...

Obviously, since the next-gen consoles will be held back by PCs with their ancient HDD technology ;)

DaGwaphics

I would never replace main memory, but with good programming they would be able to stream in a ton more detail, etc. due to the SSD's speed. This video perfectly kind of explains how they did stuff like that back in the PS1 days with Crash Bandicoot, so just take the same concept but speed it up to SSD/GDDR6 speeds and size, you can now imagine the type of details, etc they will be able to pull off with little to no load times.

I just watched that yesterday, it was interesting. The way consoles of old were so bespoke, devs never knew what they were going to be like.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Just like Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens said above, if this RAM-replacing SSD virtual memory solution is going to be used, it will be for non-time constrained OS functions.

IR3TR0

Neo Member
A proper MS remake, resembling that infamous E3 2005 trailer, a man can dream...

Obviously, since the next-gen consoles will be held back by PCs with their ancient HDD technology ;)
Yeah that concept video was crazy, Im hoping the mud etc could be done next gen though, that's what I'm hoping for most with these new consoles and games, more grounded and life like reactions to the world, more physics and effects going on at any one time, I'm starting to get excited and I've seen nothing yet😂, heres hoping🙃

I just watched that yesterday, it was interesting. The way consoles of old were so bespoke, devs never knew what they were going to be like.

There definitely was a lot more 'mystery' to the hardware back then, up until the PS3, but with games getting so complex and time consuming to make I totally get why they went with the x86 architecture and have tried to simply the game creating process! I do miss the exotic hardware days, even when some of them sucked pretty bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom