• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not, lol.

But people are not buying toilet roll in bulk because of a sudden out break of the shits, is my point 🤣 Likewise, all the boxes of tissues are stocked up as well.

It’s almost like they have seen this mad rush for loo roll and have just gone and bought it all without understanding what people are actually buying it for.

People are even fighting over it. It’s madness.

The real kicker is we were going to buy a load today to take it around the local OAP housing, incase they didn’t have any or couldn’t get out. But we can’t find any, because single parent Sharron with no job and 7 kids to 9 different fathers has bought it all...
Why toilet paper? Really confused.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why toilet paper? Really confused.

Well here the thing, people need paper to blow their nose, right? Because if they get the flu, they will have a runny nose.

But in the UK, we just slum it up and use bog roll.

So, people are out buying toilet paper in droves like it’s going out of fashion...... but leaving the kitchen paper and actual tissue paper that’s designed for blowing your nose.

Its bonkers. Utterly bizarre.

joe_zazen

Obviously not, lol.

But people are not buying toilet roll in bulk because of a sudden out break of the shits, is my point 🤣 Likewise, all the boxes of tissues are stocked up as well.

It’s almost like they have seen this mad rush for loo roll and have just gone and bought it all without understanding what people are actually buying it for.

People are even fighting over it. It’s madness.

The real kicker is we were going to buy a load today to take it around the local OAP housing, incase they didn’t have any or couldn’t get out. But we can’t find any, because single parent Sharron with no job and 7 kids to 9 different fathers has bought it all...

lol, yeah.

SO is pissed at me because i didnt stock up when she told me about it like two weeks ago. I thought it was bullshit as who thinks toilet paper supply chain Is the first ‘important’ industry to worry about during a pandemic? and no, i dont do social media beyond forums and select reddits.

so as we run out our rolls, we start using the toilet with the shower.:poop:

Last edited:
Lot of DKs. But only one retail.

Now it has come to mind when Sony announced that PS4 would use 8GB of GDDR5.

That possibility seemed unthinkable. Until...

PAM! In the face!
giphy.gif

Be careful with Sony my crofriend.

giphy.gif

I will be absent a few weeks. Be good.
What might he be talking about? HBM? Reram? He seems to point out at a possible unexpected PS5 technical advantage in comparison to Xbox ("my crofriend")

joe_zazen

In all those zombie apocalypse movies where the world ends and we follow a rag tag group of survivors, not once have I ever seen their courageous leader announce to the group “ok folks bad news, I need to take a shit and Daryl just used the last loo roll.”

they would kill the guy that uses 1.5 bog rolls when cleaning bathroom like i used to do till i went to buy paper on the weekend.

Last edited:
Looking at every event being cancelled and the issues arising worldwide socially and economically by this virus, I'm beginning to have significant doubts that these consoles make it this year.

I still think they will, but the likelihood is slightly increasing each day. Either that or significant shortages.
Things will get better, now in China 60k+ people have been cured, and that number is increased by 1.5k+ per day. Now in China we only have 16k people still infected, and yesterday we have successfully developed a virus tester (don't know what it is called but you get what I mean) that can detect if someone is infected in 15minutes with just a drop of blood.

UkdybYV.jpg

Last edited:

Kratos90

Neo Member
A few confirmed cases in my local area and a death now, and it wasn’t an old bloke this time... Scary. I don’t care about myself, but fear for my daughter getting sick.

Oh and, just to show you how thick as pig shit Telford is where I live, the toilet roll isles are all stripped... But the kitchen roll isles are fully stocked. 🤫
Things will get better, now in China 60k+ people have been cured, and that number is increased by 1.5k+ per day. Now in China we only have 16k people still infected, and yesterday we have successfully developed a virus tester (don't know what it is called but you get what I mean) that can detect if someone is infected in 15minutes with just a drop of blood.

UkdybYV.jpg
i would never trust any numbers given by Chinese government

i would never trust any numbers given by Chinese government
Well it's up to you. But would you trust those big companies that love their money to death? The fact is that their employees have started working a week ago, and if those people get infected they will lose A LOT OF MONEY AND TIME. MONEY WON'T LIE.
By working I mean working at their office building.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
developers do not care anything. when they say let more people enjoy game, all they see is money

This may be true for some, but certainly not all. Most developers I know would rather see more people enjoy what they have made, than make mass amounts of money. Also, how much do you think people get paid? 🤣 This isn’t a pro footballer gig.

Last edited:

Kratos90

Neo Member
This may be true for some, but certainly not all. Most developers I know would rather see more people enjoy what they have made, that Male mass amounts of money. Also, how much do you think people get paid? 🤣 This isn’t a pro footballer gig.
i should have said producer as the guy in tweet is

PaintTinJr

In all those zombie apocalypse movies where the world ends and we follow a rag tag group of survivors, not once have I ever seen their courageous leader announce to the group “ok folks bad news, I need to take a shit and Daryl just used the last loo roll.”

Microsoft or Sony should do a quick mockup on their next-gen console designs in the shape of bidets. The joke mockups would probably hit national news around the world and maybe discourage the stupidity of those buying roll like there’s no tomorrow. Although, it could just as easily see a run on people getting bidets installed, next and completely missing the joke.

pawel86ck

Banned
PS2 was really a beast. The EE had two very powerful Vector Processing Units (the T&L was done by the CPU --> higher clock than GPU). The GS had a peak pixel fill rate of 2.352 gigapixel/s and a bandwidth of 48GB/sec. Of course the system had weaknesses (no real texture compression, only 1,2GB/sec EE<-->GS bus, fill rate cut in half for each texture layer, etc.). Imho the main strengths were the high polygon output (I was really impressed with the detailed fighters in TTT and the huge draw distance in games like J&D and R&C) and particle effects (MGS2 rain, explosions in Zoe 1&2). Sony went for massive floating point performance, massive bandwidth, massive peak fill rate and polygon rates. but sacrificed efficiency and ease of programmability (just remember the image quality at the beginning).

Of course the same thing can be applied in reverse. (GCN-->PS2, RE4 conversion with 'muddy' textures and missing effects).
And still when PS2 launched in 2000 it was too slow even to run old PC ports that could already run on budged PC. Some PS2 ports (games that should be optimized perfectly for PS2) with long draw distance like gta vice city still run better on geforce 1 (for example vice city run at 1024x768 and locked 30fps on geforce 1, while PS2 version run at 640x480 and still had major performance problems). There were impressive games on PS2 for sure, but IMHO that's because developers were very talented (they were using interesting tricks and especially Polyphony in Gran Turismo). The only real PS2 strenght was fill rate, so if there was a smoke or rain perfromance was better even compared to xbox classic (geforce 4 prototype). For example GTA Vice City. For the most part performance was much better on xbox and game was much more detailed polygon wise, but when there was a lot of smoke performance on xbox could dip compared to PS2 (although on PC even geforce 1 DDR could run the same smoke effects without performance problems, so xbox GPU was was clearly bottlenecked because os slow memory bandwidth).

PS4 even with jaguar CPU was more balanced than PS2 PS3 were and it looks like PS5 will be even more balanced (Fast CPU, fast GPU, SDD).

Last edited:

kareemna

And still when PS2 launched in 2000 it was too slow even to run old PC ports that could already run on budged PC. Some PS2 ports (games that should be optimized perfectly for PS2) with long draw distance like gta vice city still run better on geforce 1 (for example vice city run at 1024x768 and locked 30fps on geforce 1, while PS2 version run at 640x480 and still had major performance problems). There were impressive games on PS2 for sure, but IMHO that's because developers were very talented (they were using interesting tricks and especially Polyphony in Gran Turismo). The only real PS2 strenght was fill rate, so if there was a smoke or rain perfromance was better even compared to xbox classic (geforce 4 prototype). For example GTA Vice City. For the most part performance was much better on xbox and game was much more detailed polygon wise, but when there was a lot of smoke performance on xbox could dip compared to PS2 (although on PC even geforce 1 DDR could run the same smoke effects without performance problems, so clearly geforce 4 prototype in xbox was bottlenecked because os slow memory bandwidth).

PS4 even with jaguar CPU was more balanced than PS2, PS3 were and it looks like PS5 will be even more balanced (Fast CPU, fast GPU, SDD).

The lack of balance on PS2 (or bottleneck) was mainly in the eDRAM (allowed higher fill rate but what about the polygon count for example) and its relative low RDRAM as the Xbox had double that and double the bandwidth.

PaintTinJr

And still when PS2 launched in 2000 it was too slow even to run old PC ports that could already run on budged PC. Some PS2 ports (games that should be optimized perfectly for PS2) with long draw distance like gta vice city still run better on geforce 1 (for example vice city run at 1024x768 and locked 30fps on geforce 1, while PS2 version run at 640x480 and still had major performance problems). There were impressive games on PS2 for sure, but IMHO that's because developers were very talented (they were using interesting tricks and especially Polyphony in Gran Turismo). The only real PS2 strenght was fill rate, so if there was a smoke or rain perfromance was better even compared to xbox classic (geforce 4 prototype). For example GTA Vice City. For the most part performance was much better on xbox and game was much more detailed polygon wise, but when there was a lot of smoke performance on xbox could dip compared to PS2 (although on PC even geforce 1 DDR could run the same smoke effects without performance problems, so xbox GPU was was clearly bottlenecked because os slow memory bandwidth).

PS4 even with jaguar CPU was more balanced than PS2 PS3 were and it looks like PS5 will be even more balanced (Fast CPU, fast GPU, SDD).

The comparison isn't fair IMHO. If the PS2 had shipped with a HDD then its diffiencies could have been measured against the xbox in games like GTA, but with such little memory and a game that was more suited to a CPU with twice the clock, it still looks like a game that was sold on PS2 because of the install base, rather than being suited to the hardware. The xbox problem with smoke was probably because of the lack of z-buffer that was in the pc geforce 4 and the use of h/w accel w-buffer instead (that wasn't in the pc geforce 4 card). In Target 2 (in Monkeyball Deluxe) the xbox doesn't even render fog, so trying to perceive depth of ocean and platforms is impossible, making it unplayable despite the vastly greater resolution (iirc) from PS2 or cube versions.

Neo Blaster

But that's what's said actually if you really read it, they wanna try pulling some PC gamers to buy PS5.
The only PC crowd I see coming to PS5 are those with regular to crappy PCs, but these like it cheap, maybe far into next gen when prices come down. Those with high powered PCs already invested quite a dough on it and want the best experience on their machines, they won't bother about consoles.

Neo Blaster

also most likely if the virus changes it will get less deadly over time.
a virus that kills too many people is an unsuccessful one, viruses evolve to spread as best as possible and you spread better if the host stays alive in order to spread you around
That's exactly why Ebola isn't a world threat, it kills so fast that the poor guy won't have a chance to step on a plane.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The only PC crowd I see coming to PS5 are those with regular to crappy PCs, but these like it cheap, maybe far into next gen when prices come down. Those with high powered PCs already invested quite a dough on it and want the best experience on their machines, they won't bother about consoles.

The amount of pc ppl with mid to high end pcs is not a high percentage, it's actually low so it makes tht point moot. We all remember the stats a couple of years ago on how many ppl even have rigs to support 4k let alone those with the ability to do hdr.

This may be true for some, but certainly not all. Most developers I know would rather see more people enjoy what they have made, than make mass amounts of money. Also, how much do you think people get paid? 🤣 This isn’t a pro footballer gig.
It seems some people see "developers" the same as tie jackets on a desk but with computers also.
They are artists, creatives, technical guys, they want to use their knowledge to do something worth.

It'll be interesting to see how things evolve to showcase in the wake of all major events now being cancelled. The only things left are Gamescom and TGS and who knows what the future holds for their fate.

Perchance publishers learn that it is easier(and cheaper) to reach your target audience with live streams or pre-recorded shows via Twitch/YouTube.

xPikYx

Despite my prediction of actually seeing some ps5 official reveal/news after reached page 1500, I would suggest to freeze this thread until may/june because really, there is absolute nothing to talk about

Neo Blaster

The amount of pc ppl with mid to high end pcs is not a high percentage, it's actually low so it makes tht point moot. We all remember the stats a couple of years ago on how many ppl even have rigs to support 4k let alone those with the ability to do hdr.
Indeed, but anyways that crowd will still take some time before they board the PS train.

Despite my prediction of actually seeing some ps5 official reveal/news after reached page 1500, I would suggest to freeze this thread until may/june because really, there is absolute nothing to talk about
No on page 1500 there will be nothing, l looked back at the first post on 1238, it reads THURSDAY. 100pages for less than a week, people here are trully boring.

PaintTinJr

Unless... Sony provided an OtherOS mode that allowed Windows and SteamOS (linux) to run on the PS5 hardware from an external drive - maybe providing a 1/3 of the GPU capabilities and none of the SSD capabilities. The price of using a game pad with a PC already feels like console pads were priced to tax PC gamers this gen. At £399 – 499, a free PS5 pad with the console that could now replace their PC while giving it a big performance boost by the hardware switch would probably look quite appealing to those PC gamers IMHO.

Guys, I'm new to twitter. What do I search to get people raging over Twitter about Horizon Zero Dawn? I'm looking for video reactions mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom