• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add, for no ambiguity, im still of the opinion the SX will be more powerful over all. It will have a few areas faster than the PS5, and the Ps5 will have a few areas faster than the SX, but I’m talking a lot more marginal than people may be hyping up. So when I say more powerful, I mean like giving one kid 100 sweets and the other 110. You’re still getting a shit load of sweets, when you think about last gen you only got 10 or so sweets.

Its as close as damn it is to swearing, and it’s going to be B-E-A-UTIFUL.

With they way how you talking engines or how people do things could be a bigger factor .

FeiRR

Banned
Just to add, for no ambiguity, im still of the opinion the SX will be more powerful over all. It will have a few areas faster than the PS5, and the Ps5 will have a few areas faster than the SX, but I’m talking a lot more marginal than people may be hyping up. So when I say more powerful, I mean like giving one kid 100 sweets and the other 110. You’re still getting a shit load of sweets, when you think about last gen you only got 10 or so sweets.

What about games then? To be honest, I can't imagine myself getting an Xbox again because nobody I know plays it online so that would be a 'forever alone' situation but I can get them on PC. Sony's first-party output and some multiplats are what I'm waiting for.

FranXico

What about games then? To be honest, I can't imagine myself getting an Xbox again because nobody I know plays it online so that would be a 'forever alone' situation but I can get them on PC. Sony's first-party output and some multiplats are what I'm waiting for.
I imagine that will be less of an issue now that cross-console play is becoming standard.

FrozenFlame

Reads like someone's wishlist tbh

Eh, sounds believable but mostly because most are based on previous rumors and some are basically confirmed, Harry Potter and Back 4 Blood. If i remember correctly IO interactive was working on a new ip and hired multiplayer devs, so it also seems believable. A Lego Star Wars seems like the safe bet leak. It's just the Matrix game that sounds out of place...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Is 11.6TF applicable to the 'V' shape dev kit we've seen pictures of?

That’s one thing I can’t be certain of, sadly. I would really like to think Sony will go with the V design, as it’s Ps “V” after all. I do think that this time, you won’t be looking at a slim chicken like PS4, but I would put money on it being a classic traditional form factor.

FeiRR FeiRR I wouldn’t count MS out of the games race, not yet. They have made massive improvements in their services, and their output has gone up in strength. Their next gen teams have been silent, and I would expect them to blow people socks off, based purely on nobody seeing what’s coming. I mean you only have to look at the acquisitions The Initiative have gotten.

Don’t count them out yet.

With sony you know what you’re getting, and they do GOOD SHIT. My only hope for them is that they shake it up a bit. Yes, Sony have a lot of GOTY titles that push graphics and story blah blah blah... But maybe have some different shaped arrows in your quiver? For all the faults of MS games this gen, they can’t be called pigeon holed, excuse the pun.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Other than common knowledge no. Sony are using the standard AMD RT solution, and MS are using DXR. Which will be better? That remains to be seen. I would actually put money on DXR, as that would seem to maybe get a bit more use outside? But that’s my own take on it, no facts there.

AMT RT and Sony RT will not be the same ? Only difference is api / software ?

If thats the case, I would put money on first party sony devs squezing more......

Jtibh

Banned
I went there once during my studies. How did you like the mountain tea? Haha
She forced me to eat goat cheese. I though i puke all over the place.

Otherwise its very nice there. Nothing special to me as i am an hour away from banff but it was very nice. Loved the food though i had to sit away from her every time she ordered tartar with raw eggs.

Jtibh

Banned
Anyways havent been here for a long time so i was wondering if there is any new updates or rumors on the new consoles or are we still riding thw 12 vs 9.2 wave?

LED Guy?

Banned

Thank you O'dium, I really hope Sony upclocks the PS5 to reach 12 TFs LOL!! Just to prove Xbox fanboys wrong 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

That’s one thing I can’t be certain of, sadly. I would really like to think Sony will go with the V design, as it’s Ps “V” after all. I do think that this time, you won’t be looking at a slim chicken like PS4, but I would put money on it being a classic traditional form factor.

Sorry, I didn't mean in terms of the final console design. What I meant is does the below dev kit have 11.6TF?

EKoVqizXYAA5tOt-b072.jpg

Other than common knowledge no. Sony are using the standard AMD RT solution, and MS are using DXR. Which will be better? That remains to be seen. I would actually put money on DXR, as that would seem to maybe get a bit more use outside? But that’s my own take on it, no facts there.
DXR is an API, not a hardware block. I'd say a hardware based solution should be better than something emulated with an API as defined by MS: DirectX hardware accelerated.

If Sony is 11.6 i think they will try there best for 12.
Even if MS up clock and end up at 12.4 or even 12.5 which is the same advantage as 11.6 to 12.
In terms of marketing it just look better for Sony and people also think funny.
11.6 to 12 look worst to some than 12 to 12.4 even if it the same gap power wise lol.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
DXR is an API, not a hardware block. I'd say a hardware based solution should be better than something emulated with an API as defined by MS: DirectX hardware accelerated.

Essentially it comes down to them both being the exact same thing, only Sony are doing the standard AMD api route and Ms are doing their own. Both working with AMD. As I said, it’s not as clear cut as you may think. They are BOTH hardware RT, let’s not go down this road again.

mitchman

Gold Member
You appear to be mixing up hardware and the API to access the hardware here. Sony will have their own GNM-based API to interface with the RT hardware.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If Sony is 11.6 i think they will try there best for 12.
Even if MS up clock and end up at 12.4 or even 12.5 which is the same advantage as 11.6 to 12.
In terms of marketing it just look better for Sony and people also think funny.
11.6 to 12 look worst to some than 12 to 12.4 even if it the same thing power wise lol.

The problem is, and this is my interpretation, Sony are pretty much at their max headroom (great film) here. They are already pushing things. They could probably push more, this is don’t after all. But would you want a hotter machine after the Pro fan issue?

But MS still have the head room to push higher if they wanted. So what would be the point? Sony push, Ms push? And then what? Stalemate again.

The thing is, at this late in the game, you want to be nailing shit down. You can do various other changes, but some things are this point need to be set in stone.

TLZ

Banned
Oh and btw, about that mic drop post @BGs made... he already liked a post of mine that answered what that could be, and it’s pretty obvious... Just Eff Why Aye.
HBM is out, never was in. BGS simply means that while there have been lots of dev kits of various speeds, there will only be one “final” retail unit. So while everybody else is bickering about 9tf and seriously crazy figures, the real unit will be “the one”.
Ah! One teraflop confirmed then! Powered by odium's pigeons.

1TF PDNA (Pigeon DNA). Forget RDNA or CDNA. I see how that could work. Yes, yes. Mmhhmm.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
I imagine that will be less of an issue now that cross-console play is becoming standard.
Is it really? I'm a Battlefield player with several thousand hours of experience and there's no cross-play. I've been playing Division 2 lately and I'm absolutely enjoying it, no cross-play. I played a bit of COD:MW and there is cross-play but it's terrible. I don't mind Xbox players but putting PC in the mix is a very bad idea. If more games follow their idea, I'll be choosing the "no cross-platform" filter all the time.

Don’t count them out yet.
I don't, which is fine. I'll buy one console this autumn and enjoy it. I don't even have time for more. In a few years time, I'll see what they offer. They can't go forever with Forza/Halo/Gears. I hope more MS studios make games like Ori. I enjoyed every minute of that game.

The problem is, and this is my interpretation, Sony are pretty much at their max headroom (great film) here. They are already pushing things. They could probably push more, this is don’t after all. But would you want a hotter machine after the Pro fan issue?

But MS still have the head room to push higher if they wanted. So what would be the point? Sony push, Ms push? And then what? Stalemate again.

The thing is, at this late in the game, you want to be nailing shit down. You can do various other changes, but some things are this point need to be set in stone.

Like i said the point would be marketing and perception .
12 and 12.4 look better than 11.6 to 12 to some and people love to round up and down .
Also i have one of the quite pro so that was never a problem for me lol.
Would love them to push each other the higher the better in my book .

When it come to API i doubt Sony will be using standard AMD api for RT.
They have never use the standard for anything don't see what they would start now when they have been messing with RT for years.

Last edited:

M-V2

I mean yeah devs know how many Tflops the DK has, but they don't know what Sony is doing behind the scenes?? I mean pushing the hardware to it's limit or the PS5 has reached it's limit, with my simple knowledge, these devs don't know what's going on behind the scenes & what Sony or MS are exactly planning, I would agree that they know a general idea about how Tflops or RAM the DKs have, but knowing specific details about reaching the limit etc, I find it a bit odd.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The new Ori is the TITS. It’s amazing.

And I’ll repeat this nugget... we don’t know the tf count of the SX yet. They have only ever said 12, not 12.0. There’s a reason for that, and I’m confident that it’s because if they need to do a slight upclock, they can.

These times... they sure are interesting. Xbox are playing Sony at their old game, and Sony are playing Xbox. Meanwhile, on Gaf...

Pigeons.

SSfox

I haven't following much the TF conversation, so at what level this 11 TF is legit?

Imo if it's true, 11 TF would be super great, and even more if it's RDNA2 (which is pretty much confirmed at this point). This combined the super fast SSD, honestly in terms of specs couldn't ask for more. After that it will be all about games.

Last edited:

Voidout

And I’ll repeat this nugget... we don’t know the tf count of the SX yet. They have only ever said 12, not 12.0. There’s a reason for that, and I’m confident that it’s because if they need to do a slight upclock, they can.

These times... they sure are interesting. Xbox are playing Sony at their old game, and Sony are playing Xbox. Meanwhile, on Gaf...

Pigeons.
I'm actually really bummed we dont have dates on when we will be seeing stuff next from either company. Especially Sony.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The problem is, and this is my interpretation, Sony are pretty much at their max headroom.

What makes you think this?
If Sony are using the same devkit design we’ve already seen then the cooling will be more impressive than XSX due to it having more raised vents and separation of hardware components to generate less heat in one section.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If Sony are using the same devkit design we’ve already seen then the cooling will be more impressive than XSX due to it having more raised vents.

Things said to me as to why they are even AT this level, and what the current cost is to do so.

johnjohn

If Sony are using the same devkit design we’ve already seen then the cooling will be more impressive than XSX due to it having more raised vents and separation of hardware components to generate less heat in one section.
If only it were that easy lol. The whole console would be a vent.

Pigeons.

I won't say that since Sony has not put there foot in there mouth or ending the gen with a bad mind share .
They were also the first to talk about next gen .
Yes MS has said more since then but the big factor in this how Sony plans get mess up with COVID-19 and how there marketing change in the last 2 years .

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Better cooling then lends to higher clocks though right? And it’s expected both will have the same 5800 CU count.

And that depends on your ceiling, and how high it is compared to how tall you already are ;)

Also... who said Sony has the better cooling solution? Because of a bom write up that has it pegged as spending more than usual...? Regardless of if it’s even true or not, remember that sometimes, there are cheaper ways to do a better job.

44alltheway

And that depends on your ceiling, and how high it is compared to how tall you already are ;)

Also... who said Sony has the better cooling solution? Because of a bom write up that has it pegged as spending more than usual...? Regardless of if it’s even true or not, remember that sometimes, there are cheaper ways to do a better job.
Do you see Microsoft or Sony going for a 549$ or 599$ price tag?

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Basing by design, if PS5 were to keep the V shape. GPU on one side, power brick on the other neither generating more intense heat by being near each other. Etc

Banned

well they hardly can work with super high clocks based on how well the dev kit can handle it, which is most likely at least 3x the size of the final system... that dev kit is humongous

DrDamn

Also, does anybody remember the Liverpool vs Chelsea match, UEFACL 2nd Leg? 2008-2009? Was good match. Pigeon like.

Finished 4-4. 😉

In some ways that could be to Sony's advantage. Depends on how close AMD's solution is to Nvidia's. If they are similar then the maturity of DXR would be advantageous. If it's different enough then an API which only has to focus on one could be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom