• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

Does anyone here really thinks that, even though Microsoft has dedicated audio hardware on the XSX, there'll be a 20% performance impact on games? I just can't believe anyone believes this. lol

Sony's approach is better in this sense, yes, the Tempest Engine is awesome. But this narrative that the XSX will lose a lot of performance just to have decent audio is just idiotic.

I think both consoles will be very similar, both will be band width starved and its probably how they deal with that than the raw power.

If they both perform similarly on 3rd party, it will be a little bit of this and that added up, I think they will be within 10 % (Guess).

It wont be 20 % on audio I agree.

I think Series X will be better on ray tracing and procedural graphics, Ps5 on streaming graphics on open world.

Lets see, fun eh ?

Last edited:

llien

Because PS5 only console has the Tempest Engine that is effectively a re-engineered AMD GPU compute unit, stripped of its caches and relying solely on DMA transfers, just like a PS3 SPU

Playstation 5 = 10.3Tf raw power
Xbox Series X = 9.6TF raw power

This thread is drifting towards clown thread, slowly, but surely.
I blame you, Microsoft!

Evilms

Banned
very funny
1466366219-risitas54.png

thelastword

Banned

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So no optical out, but they are going to have a dope audio chip? Something even similar and better than Tempest? :unsure:

Wishful thinking. It'll be the normal, good, but normal audio quality like any good graphics card, and it'll use a dedicated CU out of the them and still tax the whole thing up to 20%. They solved only the Ram/CPU part which is still plausible, Sony caught them with their pants down. So they respond and made a quick solve and took that optical audio off. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In the photos appearing since Monday it was clear Xbox Series X didn't have a dedicated audio out (S/PDIF or a second HDMI out port)

You see:

- HDMI OUT
- 2 USB ports
- Ethernet port
- Storage Expansion (SSD) Slot

Screenshot_2020_03_16_at_21.45.27.png

Yes, hardware-based, but a vanilla chip level, supplementary with standard workload, nothing ground breaking.

“It’s extremely exciting,” senior sound designer Daniele Galante said of the new console. “We’re going to have a dedicated chip to work with audio, which means we finally won’t have to fight with programmers and artists for memory and CPU power.”

So it's supplementary for the CPU and memory as it's already starving with 10GB, the GPU will still do the math, hence 20% workload.

ETmoYvkXQAE2kzC

Persuasive Microsoft wording, as usual.

Bro doesn't work like that and you know it yeah maybe the sound in PS5 is better than XSX but the second one already have a separete chip four audio please just stop is embarrassing.

scie

I have to admit, before the specs of the consoles were revealed the thread was fun to read, but after that this whole thing changed so such into fanboyism that reading the thread isn´t fun anymore.... some folks need to dial it down!

Last edited:

Mynd

Neo Member
PS5 is likely to have more L2 cache per CU than XSX. ?

Wheres the cache situated, whats it for? Is it at the front of the pipeline, or at the back end?
Is it a texture cache, a framebuffer cache? Internal compute cache?

In all likely hood, 99% of the DNA of the RDNA2 in these two chips are identical, because it wouldnt make sense otherwise.
Yes caches can be tweaked. But only tuned to what will be balanced for the particular system.

Its possible PS5 has more cache to mitigate slower Ram speeds, but honestly, seriously, these ram speeds are pretty darn fast, I wouldn't be too worried about the memory bandwidth on either system.

I have no idea why people pick up on these numbers and start running with them
A 4 cyclinder car is perfectly balanced for what it does.
A 6 cylinder car is too.

What I see is a lot of people desperately trying to twist this into the Xbox has X fault with it.
It doesn't, its balanced in exactly the same way the Ps5 is. It has a target GPU power performance and that is what it is designed around (GPU wise).

Als for people suggesting that the GPU will have less TF because of audio (a CPU thing) is laughable, desperate and kinda of fluffy thinking.

Aceofspades

Banned
In the photos appearing since Monday it was clear Xbox Series X didn't have a dedicated audio out (S/PDIF or a second HDMI out port)

You see:

- HDMI OUT
- 2 USB ports
- Ethernet port
- Storage Expansion (SSD) Slot

Screenshot_2020_03_16_at_21.45.27.png

Optical is ancient, HDMI will suffice and more. Sucks only for some compatibility with some accessories.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nope, no way to tell at this point, read the last few pages. PS5 has custom units inside it's GPU that we haven't seen inside XsX more standard design, all designed to increase performance.

Not that. The Audio calculation usually takes up to 20% of GPU power, so PS5 made a dedicated GPU compute unit, modified works outside the GPU with complex audio more powerful than all 8 jaguar cores in the PS4 combined to be capable of up to 5,000 sound sources, but instead they'll stick with complex hundreds instead of that overwhelming count.

Meaning, freeing the GPU of that workload, and making it work only on visuals and potentially only ray traced audio through RT cores of the GPU. So that is an equivalent of roughly 12.4TF. Reminds you of something? Yes, OsirisBlack OsirisBlack . The only problem the didn't know about this Secret Sauce.

I can see OsirisBlack OsirisBlack being redeemed. It's a hidden 12.4TF that caught Xbox off guard.

EDIT: THEORETICAL! It's still 10.28 in the GPU side, but collectively it is equivalent to up to 12.4TF by freeing potential 20% of audio work.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Not that. The Audio calculation usually takes up to 20% of GPU power, so PS5 made a dedicated GPU compute unit, modified works outside the GPU with complex audio more powerful than all 8 jaguar cores in the PS4 combined to be capable of up to 5,000 sound sources, but instead they'll stick with complex hundreds instead of that overwhelming count.

Meaning, freeing the GPU of that workload, and making it work only on visuals and potentially only ray traced audio through RT cores of the GPU. So that is an equivalent of roughly 12.4TF. Reminds you of something? Yes, OsirisBlack OsirisBlack . The only problem the didn't know about this Secret Sauce.

I can see OsirisBlack OsirisBlack being redeemed. It's a hidden 12.4TF that caught Xbox off guard.
What you're saying is a little hyperbolic, but it does seem to be the case in all honesty. I dunno about the 12.4TF figure, could be higher, could be lower, but all that custom silicon has to count for a hell of a lot. There's simply a lot more than meets the eye with PS5.

In fairness, we wouldn't still be talking about it 5 days after a GDC tech talk if there wasn't so many layers to unpack.

So no optical out, but they are going to have a dope audio chip? Something even similar and better than Tempest? :unsure:
HDMI 2.1

Microsoft did the same thing.

source? If the Audio calculation takes 20% GPU power, then that leads me to beleive game developers have less to work with.

Last edited:

Both has audio chips you are acting just like the fans of XSX thinking the new software compresion is better than kraken solution in PS5.

I also what happen to all those fake insiders which now are like "well you know I made some mistakes well maybe all my info was wrong":lollipop_pouting: ?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
As I told many folk a few days ago......Smartshift looks like something straight out of Cerny/Sony......Cerny made it clear PS5 was not a copy and paste affair, he even said that some of their technology, you may eventually see it on AMD GPU's if they choose to adopt it.....

the thing alot of people missed on this was that it works with any headphones or head set used by the player

so either through bluetooth or plugged into the controller you should be able to take advantage of Tempest. no need for some shmancy 3rd or first party headset
Not only that, but they are also going to do virtual 3D surround with your normal TV speakers, so everybody is going to get better audio this time around.....Audio for everybody will be improved by a great deal, that's why they just didn't license Dolby etc...

Oh BOY!

Sound per HDMi is a thing.. you know.. and people use Audio receivers...
Im using my OneX with 5.1 uncompressed per HDMI...
I know Jumper, but if you are going to talk up as if you have great audio tech, surely you have to ensure that you cater to audiophiles......Optical Out is a go to for many audiophiles and is certainly a high end option for alternative feeds...

Mynd

Neo Member
Yes, hardware-based, but a vanilla chip level, supplementary with standard workload, nothing ground breaking.

“It’s extremely exciting,” senior sound designer Daniele Galante said of the new console. “We’re going to have a dedicated chip to work with audio, which means we finally won’t have to fight with programmers and artists for memory and CPU power.”

So it's supplementary for the CPU and memory as it's already starving with 10GB, the GPU will still do the math, hence 20% workload.

ETmoYvkXQAE2kzC

Persuasive Microsoft wording, as usual.

Wow who wrote this a 5 year old?

"According to Digital Foundry Microsoft’s design decisions with Xbox Series X means developers must be more mindful of the potential power consumption that could impact clock speeds and lower performance"
No where, anywhere did Digital Foundry ever say this about the Xbox.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bro doesn't work like that and you know it yeah maybe the sound in PS5 is better than XSX but the second one already have a separete chip four audio please just stop is embarrassing.

I think I've repeated this pretty much too much already, you may check my similar response for that matter, or hear it directly from Cerny himself.:messenger_clapping::messenger_winking:

Lets not give osiris any credit man . Especially after the shitty comment he made after the reveal. Now lets see if the clips of him playing games and interviewing devs are correct or another BS.

Sorry don't trust any of these insiders with what they showed.

Matt from other place was the only one who got it right .he said xsx is 12 tf and is ahead of ps5 by 15% . Which is exactly correct .

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Lets not give osiris any credit man . Especially after the shitty comment he made after the reveal. Now lets see if the clips of him playing games and interviewing devs are correct or another BS.

Matt from other place was the only one who got it right .he said xsx is 12 tf and is ahead of ps5 by 15% . Which is exactly correct .

what comment did Osiris make?

ksdixon

Whilst all the PS5 SSD/Audio stuff sounds like a nice cushion against the blow of less terraflops and weaker cpu etc...

The stark reality is that no-one other than 1st Party devs are going to bother coding extra to take advantage of any of those features because they are going to take into context XBSX, MS's mandate that for next two years games have to run on launch 2013 XB1's as well, and also PC'S using regular old HDDs...

right? That's how I understand the situsition at the moment. So it's a PS3 generation type of situation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's correct, but without the spicy sauce. I'm getting many insults at the moment but will be cool and not respond to irrational posts and personal attacks. :messenger_sunglasses:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Yeah well, except it is 10.2TF GPU, Audio chip does not boost GPU...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So you are guessing the XSX will still use GPU ? even when an extra chips exists and people of NInja theory says they are chip for now have one ....OK continue with that logic

You're late, my friend, I'm not guessing, I repeat what they said literally. It's a combanation of CPU/GPU/RAM and they've solved the CPU/RAM problem with that chip, that's it. Go read what they said carefully now. I'm still stuck pages behind because I prefer respecting posts and reading through before jumping into conclusion. You can always respond with solid details.

Last edited:

kareemna

Just an FYI, Cerny actually revealed everything about the PS5 since the press release was for GDC, so for developers. There is nothing he needs to hide.

The entire SoC is filled with "secret sauces".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom