• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So you want to turn GAF into Twitter? :pie_thinking: ...
there still needs to be a limit my man. i dont mind reading long posts, but you go on forever.

try to limit it to three paragraphs. short ones at that. try to condense your message. it will be easier to digest. if you go on forever, you lose your audience like kojima.

besides, if you have to use 2000 words to make your point, it probably isnt a good point to begin with.

just some friendly advice.

there still needs to be a limit my man. i dont mind reading long posts, but you go on forever.

try to limit it to three paragraphs. short ones at that. try to condense your message. it will be easier to digest. if you go on forever, you lose your audience like kojima.

besides, if you have to use 2000 words to make your point, it probably isnt a good point to begin with.

Don't you dare to say that, HE GAVES LIFE TO YOU SNAKE.

You're judging my post like it's a final edit; it's a rough draft and a way for me to get my thoughts and ideas out there quickly. There were lots of things to touch on and not a lot of time to do it, plus there were three posts I wanted to respond to so that's something on top.

With all else being fair, someone who dismissing a point because it's "too wordy", well, that could be an attention span issue. I could easily edit the longer posts down but that takes time and I don't have that right now. I barely have enough for this post xD. So, maybe some other time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Don't you dare to say that, HE GAVES LIFE TO YOU SNAKE.
lol i am the biggest mgs fan i know and i skipped almost all of the final codec calls in MGS2 before the final battle. i still have no idea wtf they were talking about, but apparently kojima correctly predicted the future we live in now.

and thats my point, kojima was right and yet his message was so long winded, he lost his audience.

i didnt skip the one hour ending of MGS4, but i wish i did. it almost ruined the game. "0 goes to 1, 1 goes to 100, 100 goes to 0."..... STFU Big Boss just die already!!!

All i want for Christmas is a nextgen only GTA6 to take full advantage of those blazing fast SSDs & CPUs inside the new consoles
No cross-platform garbage limiting the scope and possibilities

But who am i kidding R* probably wants one final job on current gen to print money and coast through it the entirety of next gen
Yep, I think it will be like GTA V, now GTA is basically an MMO.
I mean, they are so powerful they could "create" the installed base they need by releasing GTA VI only on next gen, but that game will probably cost one billion and at that level you just want to include everyone.

lol i am the biggest mgs fan i know and i skipped almost all of the final codec calls in MGS2 before the final battle. i still have no idea wtf they were talking about, but apparently kojima correctly predicted the future we live in now.

and thats my point, kojima was right and yet his message was so long winded, he lost his audience.

i didnt skip the one hour ending of MGS4, but i wish i did. it almost ruined the game. "0 goes to 1, 1 goes to 100, 100 goes to 0."..... STFU Big Boss just die already!!!
O boi you skipped MGS2 final codec calls.
Imma explain to you later, need to take some time to think.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I quoted that, yes, and stated a general point:
If the storage isn't fast enough, you can't free up the GPU.

Which is completely false, because HZD does it. You never stated HZD is related? LOL, it was the entire thread of conversation you decided to join...

So yeah, good day sir.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I decided to record some 60fps footage of Resogun to see how long it takes for the OS to become active to user input after the home button is pressed.

I ran the video through Final Cut Pro to count the frame.

If you take a single frame as 16.67ms, and multiply it by the the number of frames, in theory you'll get the total transition time.

I was able to count 25 frames going to the menu from Resogun and 27 frames from the menu to game. If we take the average here, we'll get:

26*16.67 = 433ms or .433 seconds.

Cerny said you can transfer 2GB in .27 seconds in this slide:

dWxkXA6.png

NXGamer NXGamer and his theory about OS/RAM is entirely feasible within the time I've calculated and certainly a large chunk of OS data could be loaded in on-the-fly. Sony would actually have ample time to spare and make that transition even faster than it is on PS4, that is based on the assumption that it's 2GB of RAM they're saving and that is the size of OS RAM footprint, excluding the OS kernel and subsystems which would need to stay in active memory.

Basically, all non-essential RAM could be purged from the OS, thus leaving significantly more RAM for devs to use in games.

Let's look at the the best-case scenario for XSX's SSD speed, all else being equal. The SSD there is 56% slower than PS5's so within that .27 seconds, they'd be able to transfer 1.12GB. To transfer 2GB, XSX would need .618 seconds which is far outside of the .433 seconds needed for PS4's OS. XSX is reserving 3.5GB of RAM for its OS. If they try to dump 3GB of OS RAM to storage at speeds of 2.4GB/s, it would take well over a second, which would cause their OS and UI to feel laggy in comparison.

All of this is of course only theoretical not taking into account any latency reduction measures which look to be present on PS5, but unknown on XSX.

Last edited:

Darius87

Cell was a technological dead-end that costed Sony all PS1 and PS2 profits; it's work with SPEs was helpful with multi-core processor development but Cell as its whole technological self never materialized to the level its investors wanted. It also wasn't JUST a Sony thing: IBM and Toshiba were just as involved and IBM honestly pushed development further than Sony did (they supported iterative development on Cell longer than Sony, up to even early years of PS4).
i'm not asking to write whole history about cell we know inovation doesn't mean success, though now we see this tech can be used in audio processing in ps5 so it's not all failure.

Blu-Ray was similarly a mutli-company effort. Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. were ALL involved in its development, that's why the Blu Ray Disc Association exists. Sony helped it proliferate with PS3, but they were hardly the only ones who developed the tech.
again we're not stupid we know who developed blu-ray and what's wrong to collaborate with other companies? does that doesn't count as inovation by you?

The Ace engines were not actually exclusive to PS4; at pretty much the same time it was released, the RX 290X, which also featured Ace engines, launched. So it's debatable how much of that was due to Sony designing them themselves and working with AMD to put in, or if the Ace engines were already a part of AMD's roadmap at the time Sony leveraged them for inclusion in PS4. Going by what we're seeing from them and MS this gen regarding RDNA2, the latter was the more probable scenario.
but sony was who gone over board with 8 ace's at the time while others had just 2 ace's. that way giving long legs for ps4. it's kind a similiar way sony does with ssd now going overboard with 5.5gb/s raw.

Now I'm not taking anything away from what Sony did with PS3 and PS4, and they have done a lot of neat things with PS5's SSD and audio. But we also don't know all of the details on both systems in terms of how this stuff really works, and what potential specific benefits and disadvantages they could bring. And at least from what we've seen so far it's not like MS's audio is any slouch, either; the two seem at least even on that note, and their SSD seems to have a lot of the same features as Sony's though it's over 2x slower in actual hardware terms (and probably has less flash channels as well for number of chips).
seems sony only one who does audio RT and it's audio chip is far more powerfull then xsex. so not it's not even and ssd is more then x2 speed of xsex like i said sony goes overboard from what devs ask them to while ms just use given tech at the time.

I could go on to clarify your other point, but I'm running out of time to post for now. Maybe might edit later.
don't, seems you missed my point and just elaborate about history which i don't care.
i ask again what ms innovate at?

Which is completely false, because HZD does it. You never stated HZD is related? LOL, it was the entire thread of conversation you decided to join...

So yeah, good day sir.
Look, no one said SSDs were EXACTLY about HZD, even the dude who posted it, because consoles still don't have SSDs right now. He was using HZD as an example to how moving data in and out the game could be beneficial to the GPU, even using RAM if anything. Yes, I know you can free up the GPU with RAM speed, but we were talking about SSDs, and RAM is a storage anyway. SSDs will be used as a form of long term RAM, if anything, so they will help this concept.
So the thread wasn't about how exactly HZD does that, all started in regard to you "asking" how throwing more data to the GPU can free it up (like asking how RAM bandwitch can do that anyway) without even quoting so I don't even know who the fuck said that in the first place, and I don't think anyone did because RAM, SSDs nor HDDs are about only load stuff in. You started a bit harsh and the discussion got confused.

Last edited:
jpg

According to this assets still get loaded into System RAM, which in turn, is the bottleneck given the amount of bandwidth. Microsoft actually has the edge in bandwidth there, but lacks the SSD bandwidth to get it to the RAM. I know it's still apples to oranges, but the SSD and the amount it streams is only as good as the pipeline. I do agree that the PS5 definitely has it's benefits in loading assets, but I don't think people will notice all that much of a difference.
Actually no, it's the contrary. On XBX some of the streaming (particularly the Velocity architecture that run with software API: DirectStorage API and SFS) will need to be taken care by the CPU or GPU, because it's a software API, so more bandwidth is going to be used for that and more contention (so it will reduce global BW) because the CPU have access to the slow ram and limit the speed of the whole pool.

On PS5 the data will directly arrive on the ram with minimum bandiwdth used (no multiple CPU I/O jobs) and low contention with CPU and GPU because it will be some big chunks of data.

Specs of both machines need to be taken care as a whole. And as a whole apparently for many developers both machines are really close somehow and some devs expect the resolution will be often identical on both machines.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

If we get from GTA online loading times of "grow 1cm of beard*" to "one and half farts*" then it surely feels instant enough.

If this guy "would be microsoft(how can you be a company?)" then they would be bankrupt already because of his stupid dick measurement contest business plan.

As long as games load in 0-10s, it is fucking epic. Does this guy seriously think that people buy consoles and then trash them if loading takes few seconds(or more)? maybe he should learn to code if he thinks that his master level creations will load slowly on next gen :messenger_dizzy:

*official measurement standard of loading times.

How does my current build stack up to the PS5 and the Xbox 4?
  • i7-5820k @ stock frequencies
  • Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard
  • 4x4GB Crucial 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
  • Samsung EVO 500GB Sata SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 6TB & 4TB HDDs
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower
If I upgrade to a 3080Ti but keep the rest of my system the same, will my system be more powerful than the next generation of consoles?

Not across the board, no, sorry.

You'll be fine to run games early on, probably with better settings than next gen consoles, but eventually your CPU and memory are likely to hold your GPU back.

On the CPU side it's possible that more threads will be needed, especially if games start to require types of realtime decompression that are supported in hardware on console. And a larger quantity of ram probably wouldn't hurt if games are going to benefit from using large pools of streamed assets (both a CPU and SSD saver).

The great thing about PC's is that you could get a 3080Ti you can enjoy it for a couple of years then upgrade the rest of the system when you'll get more benefit. In the mean time a large, fast SSD and an overclock on your CPU (if your cooling is up to it) will only make the experience even better.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is fake news. The Series X has audio acceleration as well. It may not be as good as Sony’s but it definitely alleviates the other processors from the tasks

True, but it does offload CPU/RAM, not GPU. So that still the case. PS5 does it all so far, it's a GPU-based compute unit with other customization. Something unique and never done before.

Actually no, it's the contrary. On XBX some of the streaming (particularly the Velocity architecture that run with software API: DirectStorage API and SFS) will need to be taken care by the CPU or GPU, because it's a software API, so more bandwidth is going to be used for that and more contention (so it will reduce global BW) because the CPU have access to the slow ram and limit the speed of the whole pool.

Using SFS reduces transfers from the SSD, load on the decompression hardware, memory footprint, and bandwidth to write into memory (though this will be tiny as a proportion on system bandwidth).

That's the point. That's why it's there.

Last edited:
How does my current build stack up to the PS5 and the Xbox 4?
  • i7-5820k @ stock frequencies
  • Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard
  • 4x4GB Crucial 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
  • Samsung EVO 500GB Sata SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 6TB & 4TB HDDs
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower
If I upgrade to a 3080Ti but keep the rest of my system the same, will my system be more powerful than the next generation of consoles?
I'd go with 32GB RAM + the 3080 or 3080TI. That card will be far ahead of 12TF.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Not across the board, no, sorry.

You'll be fine to run games early on, probably with better settings than next gen consoles, but eventually your CPU and memory are likely to hold your GPU back.

On the CPU side it's possible that more threads will be needed, especially if games start to require types of realtime decompression that are supported in hardware on console. And a larger quantity of ram probably wouldn't hurt if games are going to benefit from using large pools of streamed assets (both a CPU and SSD saver).

The great thing about PC's is that you could get a 3080Ti you can enjoy it for a couple of years then upgrade the rest of the system when you'll get more benefit. In the mean time a large, fast SSD and an overclock on your CPU (if your cooling is up to it) will only make the experience even better.

So, would an i7-6900k (8 cores, 16 threads) and an additional 16GB of RAM (for a total of 32GB) be enough overall, with the GTX 3080 Ti? Or should I eventually jump onto a new socket (i7-9000 series)?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You mean this guy?

This is not a developer, but he even said they took what he said out of context. He believes it won't have a drastically big impact on open world games, but instead other type of games.

The specs alone in comparison between both consoles are not huge. If Sony announces more RNDA 2 features such as VRS, people are still going to say the Xbox Series S is way more powerful.

But somehow, having a much faster SSD will do nothing for the console but 1-2 seconds of faster load times.

People tried to downplay RDNA 2 on PS5
Are now downplaying the frequency on the PS5 by saying it's only 9.2TF most of the time.

People are trying their best to make the PS5 look as bad as possible.

Because when your console got crushed, mauled, humiliated in current gen and having laughable first party games again and again, you'll do the best to comeback from that state.

Problem is, it'll get crushed, mauled, humiliated again until it evaporates into a fart cloud.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
where is this info coming from?

Xbox Series X Confirmed to Have Dedicated Audio Chip; Sound Developers “Won’t Have to Fight Programmers and Artists for Memory and CPU Power.”

pasterpl

I love how so many people here are tech experts and they fully comprehend how each part of these new consoles works.

giphy.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well. Every console have their fans, who take it way too seriously :). I don't care who salutes me, nor that i care, what zealots here think of me

Well, It's still be more powerful, right? I wouldn't say "way more" just "more"

Also I'm not saying that faster SSD has nothing to do with consoles. I'm just saying, that devs will most likely take XsX SSD specs as a baseline for console port in terms of game design and then port it to PS5. Or you really think, that Rockstar for example will design GTA VI in a way, that wasn't compatible with XsX hardware? If you like it or not, you can't just ignore Xbox platform if you are 3rd party dev.

No one is saying that.

People saying it will do nothing outside faster load times.

There could be some advantages when it comes to multiplats since it's faster.

And in case of 9.2TF. I'm not saying PS5 will be 9,2TF. But I mean Cerny didn't help it either. Why even have variable frequencies in console? If you are sure, your console can handle 2,23GHz GPU and 3,5GHz CPU clocks constantly within power load, why have the ability to downclock them? If you are not honest it will create questions. If you are saying stuff like "it will downclock a little bit" it will always create question. Why didn't Cerny said minimum frequencies for GPU and CPU? Why not clarify that whole issue? Why it is good to be so secretive? We will see, if there is reason to be that secretive when consoles will came out.

He was clear enough. You can get more out of console with variable frequencies. S

They talkeda bout how frequencies are handled, and for some reason, you still didn't get it because you just asked "your console can handle 2,23GHz GPU and 3,5GHz CPU clocks constantly".

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
HZD as an example to how moving data in and out the game could be beneficial to the GPU

HZD doesn't do that, nor is it "beneficial to the GPU." It's beneficial to game design and the detail you can put into a single scene.

So the thread wasn't about how exactly HZD does that, all started in regard to you "asking" how throwing more data to the GPU can free it up (like asking how RAM bandwitch can do that anyway)

You are right to put "asking" in quotes here; because I wasn't.. it was a rhetorical question.. the answer is it doesn't.. and I was making fun of people who think loading and unloading tons of detailed textures somehow frees up GPU resources.

So again, good day lol

Last edited:

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Because when your console got crushed, mauled, humiliated in current gen and having laughable first party games again and again, you'll do the best to comeback from that state.

Problem is, it'll get crushed, mauled, humiliated again until it evaporates into a fart cloud.
I know you're just joking (hopefully) about mauled and this and that. But I noticed not a single PlayStation fanboy ever cared that the Wii smashed, humiliated mauled and all the rest the PS3. Sales only mattered again this gen.

I wonder why! :)

CJY

Banned
I know you're just joking (hopefully) about mauled and this and that. But I noticed not a single PlayStation fanboy ever cared that the Wii smashed, humiliated mauled and all the rest the PS3. Sales only mattered again this gen.

I wonder why! :)
Same reason nobody cares that Switch is winning in sales now. Most PlayStation fans also like/love Nintendo.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I'll happy if Switch PRO runs their first party games at native 1080p. Third party I'll leave for PS5 and some Playstation exclusives. I guess works on the same way for seX future users.
How about they hit native 720p first lol
So, would an i7-6900k (8 cores, 16 threads) and an additional 16GB of RAM (for a total of 32GB) be enough overall, with the GTX 3080 Ti? Or should I eventually jump onto a new socket (i7-9000 series)?
Your rig is decent enough to wait it out
Wait a couple of years and do a full PC upgrade with the latest MOBO/CPU architecture available and at least 8 cores but 12-16 preferable.
Try to sell your current rig

Last edited:
HZD doesn't do that, nor is it "beneficial to the GPU."

You are right to put "asking" in quotes here; because I wasn't.. it was a rhetorical question.. the answer is it doesn't.. and I was making fun of people who think loading and unloading tons of detailed textures somehow frees up GPU resources.

So again, good day lol
HZD use FOV limit to contain the workload, it is not the only one to do that, it is one of the most extreme examples, that's why is one of the best looking open world around.
But WHO said textures anyway? The people I see here are talking more generally about what SSDs can unload off and on.

Farrell55

Banned
Epic Games the new Publisher for the next Remedy Games!?

"The Epic Games approach to publishing fundamentally changes the developer/publisher model, and aims to have the most developer-friendly terms in the industry, so that creators can focus on making great games."

• Full creative freedom and ownership. Developers retain 100% of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work.
  • Fully-funded projects. Epic Games Publishing will cover up to 100% of development costs, from developer salaries to go-to-market expenses such as QA, localization, marketing, and all publishing costs.
  • 50/50 profit sharing. Developers earn a fair share for their work -- once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
How about they hit native 720p first lol

Your rig is decent enough to wait it out
Wait a couple of years and do a full PC upgrade with the latest MOBO/CPU architecture available and at least 8 cores but 12-16 preferable.
Try to sell your current rig

My current rig is my second one. I still have my first one, which is in my closet; it has an i7-920, an Asus P6T motherboard, 3 x 2GB of OCZ DDR3 RAM, and an ATI HD 5870. I never sold it because, well, I replaced it in 2016, and who'd want to buy it then? Hence, I don't think anyone would want to buy my current rig when I replace it.

The only handheld that would make sense for Sony, aside from possible PS1 or PS2 portables, would be one dedicated to streaming, perhaps just a 6'' screen to connect to Dualshock 5, with Wi-Fi or 5g capability. You could stream from the cloud for a price or from your PS5 for free.

I'd agree with this, but you basically just described a smartphone or tablet. It makes more sense for Sony to just create a streaming app for this approach.

joe_zazen

I love how so many people here are tech experts and they fully comprehend how each part of these new consoles works.

giphy.gif

I dont see much between the two. Untill we get something on ps5 not possible on xsx or vice versa, the differences do not matter. Like nothing done on ps4 couldn’t have been done on x1. Maybe ssd magic will change that, but not holding breath.

so yeah, “Buy the console with the exclusive games you want or where your friends are” will be true next gen just as it is now. This shit about 12>10 meaning x1s is gonning to be more fun or increase QoL is laughable. This console that actually does something different and has the potential for increasing some users QoL vs X-PS is Switch.

——————

I am disappointed in the memes this go round. Kaz fucking strippers and doing blow while talking about bundurus...lol.

What it will also allow for is if you are hitting both those limits then you have options in how you address it. Optimise the GPU load or optimise the CPU load. Flexibility.

Too reductive to say at this point - there is a lot of innovation in design for both, just in different ways. I think we just know a bit more about the innovation in PS5 so far.

I largely agree with you but MS has revealed far more technical info, to the point where Digital Goundry member Dictator said he was frustrated why Sony hasnt revealed more specifics of their 'innovative' design (SSD but also APU).

DaGwaphics

Epic Games the new Publisher for the next Remedy Games!?

"The Epic Games approach to publishing fundamentally changes the developer/publisher model, and aims to have the most developer-friendly terms in the industry, so that creators can focus on making great games."

• Full creative freedom and ownership. Developers retain 100% of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work.
  • Fully-funded projects. Epic Games Publishing will cover up to 100% of development costs, from developer salaries to go-to-market expenses such as QA, localization, marketing, and all publishing costs.
  • 50/50 profit sharing. Developers earn a fair share for their work -- once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits.

We'll see how this approach goes. There are a few blinding red flags that could make this an untenable situation for Epic.

I largely agree with you but MS has revealed far more technical info, to the point where Digital Goundry member Dictator said he was frustrated why Sony hasnt revealed more specifics of their 'innovative' design (SSD but also APU).
People need to learn how to wait. All the hype about PS5 being 13 TFs, so much that no one properly listened to that conference and only got "10.3". Everyone going crazy because Sony was around a month late compared to PS4 reveal.
Just keep calm, it will be easier later.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So that is why he is trashing PS5 on ERA?

Well he needs to understand that after DF signed the exclusive inside deal with MS they won’t receive more inside info from Sony.

They will need to rely on second hand info for Sony now.

joe_zazen

I'd agree with this, but you basically just described a smartphone or tablet. It makes more sense for Sony to just create a streaming app for this approach.

this will always be inferior and have waaaaay more problems than a piece of purpose built hardware. If you ever had a chance to play with the wiiu pad, you’d know how superior it was to any phone based streaming solution. Near zero lag, instant connection, everything integrated into one piece of standardized gear...perfect. PS ios app? Lol. Steam app? Naw.

Tbh tho, given wiiu sales and the fact valve killed steam link, maybe I am the only one who wants to stream from console/pc.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
this will always be inferior and have waaaaay more problems than a piece of purpose built hardware. If you ever had a chance to play with the wiiu pad, you’d know how superior it was to any phone based streaming solution. Near zero lag, instant connection, everything integrated into one piece of standardized gear...perfect. PS ios app? Lol. Steam app? Naw.

Tbh tho, given wiiu sales and the fact valve killed steam link, maybe I am the only one who wants to stream from console/pc.
I can vouch for this. The Wii U gamepad had lower latency than my high end Sony TV at the time.

Aceofspades

Banned

How in the blue hell did MS reveal more "technical" info than Sony? Cerny spent an hour diving deep into every nook and cranny of PS5 specs and revealed it to the world...AN HOUR of pure technical talk.

We know more about PS5 SSD, audio, GPU , IO than MS has already shared with XsX. Dictator is a fanboy like his daddy "Richard "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom