• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully, I just had the bog standard arse of a flu, not the ‘rona! We have all had it, so I’ve posted as much as I can so I don’t fully go away but stayed chilling as much as possible. This things making life very difficult, for a lot of people :(

Personally I'm worried it's going to lead to martial law or some draconian type of curfews, freedom limitations etc. Particularly worried for people in the big cities; having some space in this type of stuff is a bit of a boon for folks in suburban and especially rural areas I'd imagine.

pyrocro

Sony should be aware of this. They should not engage Digital Foundry as long as that clown is in there.

No wonder he's been hand waving developers excitement over the PS5 SSD as though he has more authority over them. He speaks like he knows better than AAA developers while he was there in the discord together with Tim and the rest of his dogs.
Because he does not bow before your Sony PS5 alter u spit this vile personal bile. I'll take his opinion before your anonymous ass every time.
Really your dumb ass think you know better than him?

Last edited:

B_Boss

The DS4 has another design however and I can't fix issues regarding the analogue sticks. Once they have an issue I can't do shit. So I'm curious how the DS5 will turn out to be.

Sure you can Bonsai. I do it once in a while to clean and lubricate the analog (I use DAB), but basically you can (at the very least) open the green housing that holds the analog stick sensors for each analog stick.

You can clean those (metal contact rings (these come from inside the green housing and there are two per analog stick and the inside of the green housing itself that has a black ring contact in each green housing) with a proper and light amount of alcohol, q-tip & compressed air. There are some pretty decent videos on this as well 🍻.

P.S - I probably have quite a number of terms wrongly named lol, forgive me but I’m a layperson of course.

Last edited:
Because he does not bow before your Sony PS5 alter u spit this vile personal bile. I'll take his opinion before your anonymous ass every time.
Really your dumb ass think you know better than him?

Go back to your dirty hole 👇

yWXqDXl.jpg

Paulxo87

What does the XSX power advantage mean in theory over the average PS5 multiplatform game.

Is the gap big enough to go from let's say 4k 30 to 4k 60fps? Nope. Especially not with the limited memory of the XSX. Sorry but the split pool and only 16GB is not enough to fully satisfy that 12TFLOPS beast.

You're looking at 95% identical looking and playing games with the PS5 big budget exclusives being stronger in all cases. And you better believe sony is going to be on these studios to provide maximum visual impact.

Ptarmiganx2

Thankfully, I just had the bog standard arse of a flu, not the ‘rona! We have all had it, so I’ve posted as much as I can so I don’t fully go away but stayed chilling as much as possible. This things making life very difficult, for a lot of people :(
You’re lucky to be alive. Using the same metric we use to calculate the death rate of Corona, the death rate from the “standard flu” is 19.3 percent. One in five will die. In all seriousness, I’m glad you are better! I just had to take my shot at the scare statistics being used.

pasterpl

What does the XSX power advantage mean in theory over the average PS5 multiplatform game.

Is the gap big enough to go from let's say 4k 30 to 4k 60fps? Nope. Especially not with the limited memory of the XSX. Sorry but the split pool and only 16GB is not enough to fully satisfy that 12TFLOPS beast.

You're looking at 95% identical looking and playing games with the PS5 big budget exclusives being stronger in all cases. And you better believe sony is going to be on these studios to provide maximum visual impact.

based on specs alone;
xbsex should result in higher resolution, higher and/or more stable FPS, better rt,, while ps5 should offer better loading times (2s vs 4s) - that’s for 3rd party games, for 1st party, most of these will stay same except maybe some 1st party magic with ssd that Sony can do, but I wouldn’t expect too much in the first 2-3 years.

just being realistic

INC

based on specs alone;
xbsex should result in higher resolution, higher and/or more stable FPS, better rt,, while ps5 should offer better loading times (2s vs 4s) - that’s for 3rd party games, for 1st party, most of these will stay same except maybe some 1st party magic with ssd that Sony can do, but I wouldn’t expect too much in the first 2-3 years.

just being realistic

if sony dont pay for partiality

geordiemp

I think XSX will be better for games where most of teh assets are in the 10 GB RAM, so last gen stuff..

For games with larger GPU assets and everything else in the slower RAM, XSN and Ps5 will be equally BW limited is my thoughts

I think XSX will be better for games where most of teh assets are in the 10 GB RAM, so last gen stuff..

For games with larger GPU assets and everything else in the slower RAM, XSN and Ps5 will be equally BW limited is my thoughts
Yes, I agree. Once devs will make games only for next gen, 10GB for CPU + GPU won't be enough and the available bandwidth will be a bit lower and the gap with PS5 will also diminish.

Since when is it BAD to have sincere concerns over a topic that hasn't been proven otherwise by a console manufacturer? Microsoft has been extremely transparent with its hardware and cooling solution. The real issue here is we're a quarter way into the year hopefully leading into preorders in a few months and Sony still hasn't given a single glimpse into the form factor or cooling solution or any sort of actual tech demos for the ps5. [...]

Funny how some people think that Sony should imediatly react to some FUD on the web.
But everybody can have their opinion so do as you feel.

I don't see any problem with Sony and the PS5 yet.
They'll show us more once they feel save about it.
I'd rather wait and see stuff that will release as showcased/teased rather then see some downgrades further down the road.
We had enough of those early trailer and teaser shit that was downgraded or prone to errors.

So I'm gonna chill and wait for Sonys next PS5 showcase.

based on specs alone;

just being realistic

Agree. From an amateur perspective that is what it looks like.

But then we have Jason Schreier who has talked with 3rd party devs and reported the following:

"Playstation 5 more superior piece of Hardware in a lot of different ways despite of what you see in Spec Sheets"

Source:

Last edited:

joe_zazen

with Lockhart a thing according to Schrier and Shinobi, one has to wonder what %-age of the console market will xsx grab—because that will determine how much effort goes into optimisation of games for xsx. I think it will be along the lines of how many games get special attention on x1x.

So it wont be ‘partiality’ that hurts xsx versions, just cost benefit.

Some fanboys spend too much time cursing the the other platform, as If their toy of choice is not actually delivering much lately

I have never seen so much curse and desire for a platform to fail.

In the end, Im pretty sure crows will be well served. You guys are not dealing with any amatuer, but the biggest Brand that has been domiant for many years, thats why You cant stand it

Since when is it BAD to have sincere concerns over a topic that hasn't been proven otherwise by a console manufacturer? Microsoft has been extremely transparent with its hardware and cooling solution. The real issue here is we're a quarter way into the year hopefully leading into preorders in a few months and Sony still hasn't given a single glimpse into the form factor or cooling solution or any sort of actual tech demos for the ps5.

All people have to go by right now is Mark Cerny saying "cooling solution good" and a rumor that Sony spent more money on a "lavish" cooling solution. If the latter part is true, was it done out of necessity because there are actual heating issues caused by trying to cram the PS5 guts in a small form factor? If so, that absolutely WILL NOT end well.

We have VERY little to go by right now and Sony is doing NOTHING to calm people's nerves at this point. The differences between how Microsoft and Sony are ramping up to next gen are vastly different and not in a good way.

It boggles my mind how Sony is handling this so poorly. I know they didnt intend to delay their major titles this year but for the love of GOD give your fans something positive to offset the disappointing news. They're just letting it fester!

"Sorry that we have to delay TLOU2 and Iron Man VR, but to make it up to you here is a glimpse of a few of our biggest titles running on the ps5 with these specific visual enhancements!" ... no? Nothing. Silence.

People dog pile Xbox Fans for "waiting for those promised 1st party games" through the generation and that's fair. But at the same time how can all these same Sony fans be ok with what Sony is currently doing with the PS5? Mishandling PR for your next gen console that is supposed to excite and delight us for the next 7 years? Now THAT is unacceptable in my eyes.

Being more of an Xbox fan i felt the sting in 2013 so I really do sympathize with how people are feeling over the PS5 right now but the way people are blindly acting to defend it without asking or expecting Sony to prove it otherwise is just crazy to see.

Xbox fans cried foul over the hardware and games issues and Microsoft listened. Not only did they listen, they actually answered the fans and proved that they were listening with better hardware and a ramp up in effort around 1st party studios.

Sony fans should be doing the same right now. (In a positive manner)

I dunno, the studio head was heavily involved with Sunset Overdrive and has said they are working on something very ambitious.

Doesnt sound like simple cutesy or copy paste "walkie talkie" type game to me.

I'm super curious to see what they are working on.
I agree with most of this, but keep in mind that having concerns over a completely random rumor is one thing, push it like it's likely with quantum calculations about Oberon, RDNA2 and such is trying to force something in being more relevant than what it is: random rumors.
Just in the last pages we had a DEV admitting that he was fed with bullshit leaks by his source who was a first party (if I remember correctly), but both being devs and first parties doesn't mean they can't just LIE, because they have no reason to tell the truth if they even have it. What a casual guy should know instead?
Problem here are the sites and youtubers thinking that reporting this is "information" while it's not, and those sites and YouTubers do it because fans get angry\happy about it, they give relevance to these news so then again reporters have confirmation that it's convenient to do this and the cycle start again.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Agree. From an amateur perspective that is what it looks like.

But then we have Jason Schreier who have talked with 3rd party devs and reported the following:

"Playstation 5 more superior piece of Hardware in a lot of different ways despite of what you see in Spec Sheets"

Source:

I am still to hear this coming directly from devs that are not in direct relationship with either company. Otherwise is hearsay, nothing else. Don’t get me wrong, ssd in ps5 sounds amazing, but i am being realistic.

btW.

just to show you that there are multiple reports, these might not contradict each other, but both are just hearsay. Nothing more. we have to wait for games, that’s my main point.

DrDamn

based on specs alone;

just being realistic

I'd say both machines are more than capable of 4K at decent frame rates. So at these levels I think we'll see some improved graphical effects on XSX, and occassionally slightly better resolution. RT is a place where XSX could have a distinct advantage if it's linked to number of CUs as expected. It depends on how optimality each machine can use it's power too.

I don't think we'll see X1 to PS4 or Pro to 1X differences because in those cases one machine was struggling to meet the resolution target (1080p for X1 and 4K for PS4).

I am still to hear this coming directly from devs that are not in direct relationship with either company. Otherwise is hearsay, nothing else. Don’t get me wrong, ssd in ps5 sounds amazing, but i am being realistic.

btW.

just to show you that there are multiple reports, these might not contradict each other, but both are just hearsay. Nothing more. we have to wait for games, that’s my main point.

That was funny, my friend :)

So I quoted you to Jason Schreier who talked with 3rd party devs and you reply me back with a link of Windows Central! which is getting the "info" from a twitter conversation between a "dev", who nobody knows, and the supreme Xbox troll TimDog.

F7jZWwc.png

Last edited:

Fake

Offtopic: Im surprised and disappointed how many people are using ignore functions so easily.

Is better put the person on 'ignore list' than asking for ban or report. Is even better because you normally don't see the bait most of them.
No one is born with the same level of patience.
Is a win to win function. You're underestimating a lot. And not, this is not my 2 cent.

Last edited:

pasterpl

That was funny, my friend :)

So I quoted you to Jason Schreier who has talk with 3rd party devs and you reply me back with a link of Windows Central! which is getting the "info" from a twitter conversation between a "dev", who nobody knows, and the supreme Xbox troll TimDog.

F7jZWwc.png

you said, amateur perspective, this guy is not an amateur(he spent almost 14 years at SCEE), thats my point. Regardless which site reported this and who he was responding. SORRY if it doesn’t fit your narrative.

DaMonsta

Sure some of the overheating stuff may be fud

But let’s not pretend this is the first time heat being an issue has been brung up.

Some very reputable publications have mentioned it, some of the Gaf “insiders” have mentioned it, Mark Cerney himself even said heat was a driving factor behind the “boost clock” situation.

And beyond any of that we have never seen a card clocked as high as the GPU is in the PS5, SSDs create lots of heat, and PS4 was already known for running hot/loud.

I don’t think it’s way off base to question the PS5s thermal situation.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

based on specs alone;

just being realistic

What about the asymmetric memory access - with schematic partitioning - coupled with unknown effectiveness of compression ? It shouldn't provide any issue for static data that has been designed with pre-known sizes, but what about dynamic voxel data being used recursively and being compressed/decompressed each time? Surely the memory setup for the XsX is going to cause major issues to keep up with PS5's simpler setup to feed the computation?

Recently (a few pages back) we've had people discussing the memory setups, and I'm not sure if it was covered somewhere, but are both using a bus? Or is either using a ring - like the EiB northbridge of the PS3 Cell? If they are both buses, what do you think the collision binary back-off situation will do to bandwidth efficiency of each? I think the contention on the XsX is going to suffer more because of the asymmetry. So hopefully they’ve both gone with deterministic ring setups – on PS5 a 256bit ring would fit better with their 6 priority level data from the SSD (IMHO).

It is being assumed that the CPUs will consume 48GB/s of each console's memory bandwidth, but with the PS5 CPU clocking lower, I would expect it to consume less bandwidth, resulting in more proportional more of its bandwidth for the GPU.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Sure some of the overheating stuff may be fud

But let’s not pretend this is the first time heat being an issue has been brung up.

Some very reputable publications have mentioned it, some of the Gaf “insiders” have mentioned it, Mark Cerney himself even said heat was a driving factor behind the “boost clock” situation.

And beyond any of that we have never seen a card clocked as high as the GPU is in the PS5, SSDs create lots of heat, and PS4 was already known for running hot/loud.

I don’t think it’s way off base to question the PS5s thermal situation.

I’d worry more about noise, which is where Soony has fallen down this gen. I wont be buying 5 it unless it is quiet.o

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Some fanboys spend too much time cursing the the other platform, as If their toy of choice is not actually delivering much lately

I have never seen so much curse and desire for a platform to fail.

In the end, Im pretty sure crows will be well served. You guys are not dealing with any amatuer, but the biggest Brand that has been domiant for many years, thats why You cant stand it
Welcome back and be cautious :messenger_beaming:

based on specs alone;

just being realistic

It's already been reported that both consoles will do more than this with the SSD.

The SSDs in the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are going to change the console gaming experience for the better. From drastically reduced load times to fast asset streaming and the potential (already realized in the Series X) to instantly resume several games at the exact moment you quit

The article linked is about the Series X, not the PS5 btw. Asset streaming is not some 1st party exclusive feature & it is factually incorrect to say a couple second reduced load times will be the only difference we'll see in third party games.

My overall point is that the SSD for both consoles are new and for anyone to say that the "PS5 advantage is going to unlock new gameplay advancements that'll cancel out the overall XSX spec advantage" vs "loading will be a couple seconds faster" is going to both extremes of the spectrum. We just don't know how third party games will treat the I/O throughput difference.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

It's already been reported that both consoles will do more than this with the SSD.

The article linked is about the Series X, not the PS5 btw. Asset streaming is not some 1st party exclusive feature & it is factually incorrect to say a couple second reduced load times will be the only difference we'll see in third party games.

My overall point is that the SSD for both consoles are new and for anyone to say that the "PS5 advantage is going to unlock new gameplay advancements that'll cancel out the overall XSX spec advantage" vs "loading will be a couple seconds faster" is going to both extremes of the spectrum. We just don't know how third party games will treat the I/O throughput difference.

Do you think Mark using an EA game in the 3D Audio sales pitch is an indication of where EA are at in exploiting the PS5 IO complex benefits? Or do you think that was just lip service to encourage EA to prioritise the PS5 multiplats?

you said, amateur perspective, this guy is not an amateur(he spent almost 14 years at SCEE), thats my point. Regardless which site reported this and who he was responding. SORRY if it doesn’t fit your narrative.

My Lord, you need to stop the stupid strawmans with me. It is not going to work :)

This TimDog's friend, who nobody knows, is talking about what he supposedly heard from "others devs". He has no access to the PS5 hardware. If this is a source of information for you, congratulation! but do not quote me to talk nonsense about narratives.

A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

joe_zazen

microsoft is targeting PC, Lockhart, and xsx for next 7-8 years...and x1 for two more years. The scope for their first parties to take advantage of xsx is limited, which is why xsx is built way more like a regular pc than 5. Putting a bunch of custom shit in there to maximize ssd is a waste for ms, so they didn't do it.

ethomaz

Banned

Forbes lol

Do he know the PS4 HDD bay you don't need to open the console to change it?

hqdefault.jpg

It is like to change AA batteries in toys.

aid44496-v4-728px-Change-the-Batteries-in-a-Buzz-Lightyear-Action-Figure-Step-6.jpg.webp

aid44496-v4-728px-Change-the-Batteries-in-a-Buzz-Lightyear-Action-Figure-Step-5.jpg.webp

Last edited:
Do you think Mark using an EA game in the 3D Audio sales pitch is an indication of where EA are at in exploiting the PS5 IO complex benefits? Or do you think that was just lip service to encourage EA to prioritise the PS5 multiplats?

Hard to say. I think for multiplats in general the differences will be varied. Let's not forget about Destiny, one of the biggest games released this gen having parity between PS4/XB1. I remember some PS4 owners being pissed about that despite the overall %40 difference between the consoles. Sports games tend to do this as well and the difference between the PS5 & Series X is much smaller than the PS4/XB1 & Pro/X.

I think it's fair to say that the Series X will likely have a resolution/framerate/rt advantage consistently despite the reletively small ~20% overall advantage. I think it is also fair to say that due to the much bigger difference in SSD speed (110%+), and the fact that SSD's in consoles are new in general, we should all adopt a wait & see approach on how it will translate in the real world.

microsoft is targeting PC, Lockhart, and xsx for next 7-8 years...and x1 for two more years. The scope for their first parties to take advantage of xsx is limited, which is why xsx is built way more like a regular pc than 5. Putting a bunch of custom shit in there to maximize ssd is a waste for ms, so they didn't do it.

Keep in mind, Matt Booty said this in 2019 so it is possible the two year support includes the end of 2019 - leading up to the launch of XSX.

Also we'll see PS4/XB1 support in general from all third party devs at least 1-2 years in anyway. I think the real potential of SSD's
will be start around year 3.

Forbes lol

Yeah I know. Forbes contributor. Not the best source but my overall point is that the SSD advantages (asset streaming, etc )will be prevalent for both consoles & shouldn't just be reduced loading times for third parties. It's just that one SSD is faster than the other one.

Someone else posted this somewhere, but I think it is a pretty good analogy:

Devs: "We want you guys to ditch HDD's next gen and go with fast SSD's!"
MS: "Sure, here is an SSD that is 50 times faster than the current gen consoles!"
Sony: "Hey, we'll give an SSD that is 100 times faster than the current gen consoles!"

pasterpl

My Lord, you need to stop the stupid strawmans with me. It is not going to work :)

This TimDog's friend, who nobody knows, is talking about what he supposedly heard from "others devs". He has no access to the PS5 hardware. If this is a source of information for you, congratulation! but do not quote me to talk nonsense about narratives.

A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

jason shreier for all we know, doesn’t have access to ps5 hardware, i don’t care about timdog, and I don’t know who is he friends with. I am just curious why you don’t apply same logic you do to Jason Schreier quotes vs guy who used to work at SCEE for almost 14 years. I am an amateur and I don’t claim that I fully comprehend all of the specs both companies have shared and I never did.

lets wait for the games and final reveals

btw. This tread is full of FUD from not Sony and Xbox fans, and both camps like to spin any info to fit their world view, I am trying not to
become one of them.

pawel86ck

Banned

With only 13.5GB (2.5GB will be used for OS) available to games I really doubt developers will ever use over 10GB just for GPU.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forbes lol

Do he know the PS4 HDD bay you don't need to open the console to change it?

hqdefault.jpg

It is like to change AA batteries in toys.

aid44496-v4-728px-Change-the-Batteries-in-a-Buzz-Lightyear-Action-Figure-Step-6.jpg.webp

aid44496-v4-728px-Change-the-Batteries-in-a-Buzz-Lightyear-Action-Figure-Step-5.jpg.webp
So when SeX 1tb internal SSD fills up, you buy the Seagate 1tb and plug it in = 2tb total

When PS5 825gb internal SSD fills up, you swap it out and need to buy a 2tb verified SSD = 2tb total. So what happens to the internal SSD you just took out? Useless?

ethomaz

Banned
So when SeX 1tb internal SSD fills up, you buy the Seagate 1tb and plug it in = 2tb total

When PS5 825gb internal SSD fills up, you swap it out and need to buy a 2tb verified SSD = 2tb total. So what happens to the internal SSD you just took out? Useless?
Both works together.
I was corrected and seems like you can’t replace the internal SSD... just add more... so you will have 2.825GB.

Eurogamer article is wrong.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Both works together.
I was corrected and seems like you can’t replace the internal SSD... just add more... so you will have 2.825GB.

Eurogamer article is wrong.
Was going to say, there's a port for an extra drive.;)

EDIT: Incidentally, watching the presentation I got the impression that slower speed drives may be available to be put in but you'd have to transfer the game over to the main drive to play it. I might be wrong though, it's not unheard of. :D

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Was going to say, there's a port for an extra drive.;)

EDIT: Incidentally, watching the presentation I got the impression that slower speed drives may be available to be put in but you'd have to transfer the game over to the main drive to play it. I might be wrong though, it's not unheard of. :D
Yeap you can add any M2 driver that fits the size but it won’t play PS5 games (or maybe it will run the game but not in a playable performance) so you can transfer some games from internal to expansion and send the new game to internal.
It is fast so the copy should be rapid.

To play PS5 games from expansion you will need to match the specs Sony releases that is why Sony will certificate some drivers that fits the specs.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Yeap you can add any M2 driver that fits the size but it won’t play PS5 game so you can transfer some games from internal to expansion and send the new game to internal.
It is fast so the copy should be rapid.

To play PS5 games from expansion you will need to match the specs Sony releases that is why Sony will certificate some drivers that fits the specs.
That's exactly what I surmised. Good, I'm not going mad. Marvellous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom