• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
I told you

UXl.gif
I got burned because Eurogamer article that I believed :D
But you and others showed Cerny saying the opposite.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

EDIT: Incidentally, watching the presentation I got the impression that slower speed drives may be available to be put in but you'd have to transfer the game over to the main drive to play it. I might be wrong though, it's not unheard of. :D
That's cold storage, you'll do that with external USB drives unless it's a BC game. I think just sticking a slower than required M.2 drive would be a waste of the internal bay.

Handy Fake

That's cold storage, you'll do that with external USB drives unless it's a BC game. I think just sticking a slower than required M.2 drive would be a waste of the internal bay.
Oh why aye. But it can be cost effective if you're going for lots of games but don't have enough for a premium SSD.

There's a question that o have been asking that nobody seems to be able to answer.

I read that due to instant seek times data doesn't have to be duplicated on the SSD. We know that on traditional HDD drives the data is duplicated many times to aid with seek times.

My question is how much can they reduce the install by removing the duplicated data?

With this data removed is Sonys SSD size big enough for most people?

Kusarigama

There's a question that o have been asking that nobody seems to be able to answer.

I read that due to instant seek times data doesn't have to be duplicated on the SSD. We know that on traditional HDD drives the data is duplicated many times to aid with seek times.

My question is how much can they reduce the install by removing the duplicated data?

With this data removed is Sonys SSD size big enough for most people?
I'm not sure if I am getting the numbers right here but as far as i can recall from Spider-Man gdc talk about 10gb of data on the spider-man disc is dublicates. So from reduction in dublicates and modular game installation and deletion for games having single player and multiplayer components I think that average consumer should be okay with a 825gb ssd even considering that PS5 system files take up say about 125gb(my own guess).

I have the stock 500gb hdd in my PS4 and I have about 15games from 60gb to 100mb sizes

GermanZepp

Offtopic: Im surprised and disappointed how many people are using ignore functions so easily. In my opinion the internet is already creating way to many information bubbles through algorithms and so on, blocking people that don't share your opinion on a forum enforces that even more. No wonder we have so many flat earther, anti-vac and chemtrail believers out there. If you always just feed yourself with likeminded folk you are creating you own bubble and might end up believing something thats entirely made up. ( Like so many Fanbois on either side and in many different areas/ways )

Just my 2 cent on that specific topic.

Well then I'm probably too much of a noob on that topic. 😅
Is not about blocking people who thinks different. Is ignoring stupidity, trolls edit: pedantic and condescending ones and trash talk. I have almost 60 users on ignore, yesterday I took a view of the banned thread and many of them were there confirming that I ignored the ones that mattered.

Last edited:

SonGoku

When ML was confirmed for PS5?
"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools." Above all, Miele adds, it's the speed of everything that will define the next crop of consoles.

SonGoku

I.e have all the high-priority data for GPU, CPU etc. in the 560 GB/s pool and low-priority data in the 336 GB/s pool. It'll need some optimization on the developer's part though, to decide what data fits what type of bandwidth pool, and it might take some time for some devs to figure that out. I also expect devs to swap data around between the two pools as needed once they come to terms with the setup over time, because not all types of data will remain a high-priority or low-priority type for its entire residency in RAM.
Was thinking the same, the downside to this approach would be impacted flexibility delegating the 3.5GB as a low priority cache of sorts and performance hit whenever its accessed

Was thinking the same, the downside to this approach would be impacted flexibility delegating the 3.5GB as a low priority cache of sorts and performance hit whenever its accessed

It'd depend on how they schedule the swaps. If they have data sitting in the fast-bandwidth pool that hasn't been touched for a good number of cycles and isn't expected to need that fast bandwidth the next (N) times it's accessed, they can just shift it to the slower-bandwidth pool on lighter system loads. That's where I expect the ML and AI features of the hardware to come into play to help out with that, can assist in determining algorithms and optimal times to shift around that data.

Not something many early year games will need to do, but I can see more demanding titles down the gen playing around with that type of stuff as need be. Plus thanks to the extra GPU hardware onboard, they could maybe do some forward-thinking augmentative data calculation for future data to be swapped around in the memory (maybe through some GPGPU programming?).
Dunno; there's some quirks that'd need to be handled for sure, but a lot of interesting possibilities in mitigating potential bumps in the road regards it as well. The OS itself might handle some of this but I expect more crafty devs to take it into their own hands for optimizations when the time comes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I am getting the numbers right here but as far as i can recall from Spider-Man gdc talk about 10gb of data on the spider-man disc is dublicates. So from reduction in dublicates and modular game installation and deletion for games having single player and multiplayer components I think that average consumer should be okay with a 825gb ssd even considering that PS5 system files take up say about 125gb(my own guess).

I have the stock 500gb hdd in my PS4 and I have about 15games from 60gb to 100mb sizes

The install size for that game is 42.6 GB. I thought the duplicate file size would be more. Still 10GBs isn't bad at all.

Disco_

Hard to say. I think for multiplats in general the differences will be varied. Let's not forget about Destiny, one of the biggest games released this gen having parity between PS4/XB1. I remember some PS4 owners being pissed about that despite the overall %40 difference between the consoles. Sports games tend to do this as well and the difference between the PS5 & Series X is much smaller than the PS4/XB1 & Pro/X.

I think it's fair to say that the Series X will likely have a resolution/framerate/rt advantage consistently despite the reletively small ~20% overall advantage. I think it is also fair to say that due to the much bigger difference in SSD speed (110%+), and the fact that SSD's in consoles are new in general, we should all adopt a wait & see approach on how it will translate in the real world.
News to me and really doesn't make sense since destiny was deigned with ps3 and 360 as main consoles and adapted for ps4 and xbone. What's the point of blaming xbone when old gen was still in play?

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping large open world games will take advantage of the PS5. I have been playing The WItcher 3 and as amazing as the game is you can definitely see some of the flaws it had, the super long loading times, slow "fast" travel and the game would pause randomly during long cutscenes. All these were due to limitations of the hard disk drive. After witnessing this you can really understand where Cerny was coming from when he was talking about how the PS5 SSD will benefit the developers and revolutionise game design. The game even features many "long hallways" and other contingencies which allow the game to stream more data. I imagine the developers of The Witcher 3 struggled at times when designing the game, the large maps, the extensive cutscenes and many others around a slow speed HDD. I'm trying to imagine a next-gen Witcher game which will be able to take advantage of next-gen especially the SSD and wont be held back by the hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dane

Is that from a ResetEra discord?

Sony should be aware of this. They should not engage Digital Foundry as long as that clown is in there.

No wonder he's been hand waving developers excitement over the PS5 SSD as though he has more authority over them. He speaks like he knows better than AAA developers while he was there in the discord together with Tim and the rest of his dogs.

Well, you guys shouldn't have pissed off DF guys when they praised Gears 5. If my memory serves correct, it was John Linneman, who praised Sony SSD, told that he "regretted" to make the video because fanboys were chasing them after that.

ZywyPL

Banned
Let see how Xbox fanboys spin it...

Hp5Y0Y6.jpg
wmdvWKm.jpg

Nothing to spin really, because even at its max clocks both the CPU and GPU are less capable than XBX, it's the PS fanboys that are yet to accept the reality. And within half a year or so from now Nvidia will destroy both with 30xx RTX cards, before the consoles even arrive, that's a fact both fanboy camps will have to swallow eventually.

Last edited:
Nothing to spin really, because even at its max clocks both the CPU and GPU are less capable than XBX, it's the PS fanboys that are yet to accept the reality. And within half a year or so from now Nvidia will destroy both with 30xx RTX cards, before the consoles even arrive, that's a fact both fanboy camps will have to swallow eventually.

Well, well, well...

So you are acting like there isnt a narrative being pushed here that the PS5 is more like a 9.2tf and not actually 10.2?

Thats the whole reason why Sony fans are insisting on this subject. Its more due to some Xbox fanboys behaviour than anything else.

At this point, I can guarantee to You that most of Sony fans can careless about Series X theorical advantage. They know that this doesnt automatically make Ps5 crap as It also has its advantages and they have right to be excited about then (like the SSD), but for some weird reason some Xbox fans act like PS fans have no reason and right to excited for the ps5.

Sony fans know what they Will get on ps5 and I am sure they Will be Very pleased about It.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, well, well...

So you are acting like there isnt a narrative being pushed here that the PS5 is more like a 9.2tf and not actually 10.2?

Thats the whole reason why Sony fans are insisting on this subject. Its more due to some Xbox fanboys behaviour than anything else.

At this point, I can guarantee to You that most of Sony fans can careless about Series X theorical advantage. They know that this doesnt automatically make Ps5 crap as It also has its advantages and they have right to be excited about then (like the SSD), but for some weird reason some Xbox fans act like PS fans have no reason and right to excited for the ps5.

Sony fans know what they Will get on ps5 and I am sure they Will be Very pleased about It.
Really? Most Sony fans don't care if SeX is more powerful?

And why is that?

Because if you time warped to 2013 when system specs were hacked/leaked showing PS4 more powerful, which lead to 1080p games vs Xbox One 720p - 1080p games, it sure seemed like the average PS4 gamer cared a lot.

As for PS5's tf max, nobody even knows how much PS5 can sustain 10.3tf under tough conditions. And nobody even knows how long the gpu's 223 ghz can sustain that. Cerny answered with a vague "most of time" answer.

Even on Sony's own blog site, it says "up to" for both cpu and gpu. And if either of these are not maxed out, it's not going to be 10.3tf.

CPU: Variable frequency, up to 3.5 GHz

GPU: Variable frequency, up to 2.23 GHz (10.3 TFLOPS)

Last edited:
Oh you mean that video where the clip is conveniently cutoff? Typical fanboy lol. Watch the full video before "spreading fud".

Edit: Best part is its a cutoff clip from 2018 lol
There's also this tidbit where the studio themselves say they're staying small at first.

But I'm sure this is out of context somehow.

And why is that?

Because if you time warped to 2013 when system specs were hacked/leaked showing PS4 more powerful, which lead to 1080p games vs Xbox One 720p - 1080p games, it sure seemed like the average PS4 gamer cared a lot.
In my experience, most PS gamers didn't care TOO much about the power until the PRICE reveal. Once it became clear that the PS4 was stronger, even if only a bit, yet cost $100 LESS than the Xbox One, then I saw an uptick in people caring and bragging on it.

I mean I'm sure some of the more hardcore fanatics did, but the average gamer? Nope.

(And shoot, even with the uptick, most still didn't care. What really got people were the third-party deals and first-party offerings.)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In my experience, most PS gamers didn't care TOO much about the power until the PRICE reveal. Once it became clear that the PS4 was stronger, even if only a bit, yet cost $100 LESS than the Xbox One, then I saw an uptick in people caring and bragging on it.

I mean I'm sure some of the more hardcore fanatics did, but the average gamer? Nope.

(And shoot, even with the uptick, most still didn't care. What really got people were the third-party deals and first-party offerings.)
MS released standalone Xbox Ones for the same price as PS4 7-8 months later. There's only so many gamers buying system in the first 8 months. 1080p gaming was the key factor.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
There's also this tidbit where the studio themselves say they're staying small at first.

But I'm sure this is out of context somehow.

"staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations."

Please show me where it states anything about AA quality. Of course you have to spin stuff to fit your narrative lol

And why is that?

As for PS5's tf max, nobody even knows how much PS5 can sustain 10.3tf under tough conditions. And nobody even knows how long the gpu's 223 ghz can sustain that. Cerny answered with a vague "most of time" answer.

Even on Sony's own blog site, it says "up to" for both cpu and gpu. And if either of these are not maxed out, it's not going to be 10.3tf.

Having a Power advantage is always a Win.

The difference is that that wasnt made the Center of all discussion. There were too many things to be said about Xbox one in the past.

And I really see a different behaviour here. Just look at How some Xbox patrols Unite each other to promote many bad false rumours about PS5. That is something New for me tbh.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not exactly era discord... there is a lot of Xbox GAF there too... it is a Xbox discord.

You just need to spread FUD about PlayStation in general and you are into.
Now you know what it feels like when unclear communication can lead to hyperbole or pure trolling for months before the system releases.

Just like 2013 when rumours were MS was going kill used games, put your system on internet lockdown, only cared about TV. Whether or not some or all of the policies were true, MS shot them down that summer and everything was set back to what is traditionally done in gaming. So when it launched, the criticized policies were debunked 6 months earlier and nowhere to be found, yet you still got gamers and the media pressuring them for answers later. Even now in 2020 you can still find people saying tv tv tv.

So what you're going to get this time around is Cerny having a bulleyes on his head answering questions for perhaps years.

Last edited:
"staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations."

Please show me where it states anything about AA quality. Of course you have to spin stuff to fit your narrative lol
"It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale. "
From Windows Central. A VERY pro-Xbox site.

I suppose you think Windows Central espouses "my" narrative. Whatever you've decided that is. But all I'm doing is showing the source of this belief.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Now you know what it feels like when unclear communication can lead to hyperbole or pure trolling for months before the system releases.

Just like 2013 when rumours were MS was going kill used games, put your system on internet lockdown, only cared about TV. Whether or not some or all of the policies were true, MS shot them down that summer and everything was set back to what is traditionally done in gaming. So when it launched, the criticized policies were debunked 6 months earlier and nowhere to be found, yet you still got gamers and the media pressuring them for answers later. Even now in 2020 you can still find people saying tv tv tv.

So what you're going to get this time around is Cerny having a bulleyes on his head answering questions for perhaps years.
MS themselves announced the these “shots” lol

It was real.

Nothing were debunked just MS was forced to do a 180.

Xbox fans are really desperate all these years?

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
"It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale. "

I suppose you think Windows Central espouses "my" narrative. Whatever you've decided that is.

No mention of AA. And that's only one studio but i get it, you guys need to latch on to anything you can besides an ssd or audio chip.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS themselves announced the these “shots” lol

It was real.

Nothing were debunked just MS was forced to do a 180.

Maybe. There were tons of rumours floating around at the time.

Just like Sony announced this. Yo-yo-ing cpu/gpu "up to" speeds. Something people are trying to get concrete info about, which is why sites are confused.

No mention of AA. And that's only one studio but i get it, you guys need to latch on to anything you can besides an ssd or audio chip.
"You guys"?

It's funny, you frequently assert you have no dog in the console fight, yet you frequently get defensive of Xbox. You don't even know what I'm about or what my "agenda" is, yet you're lashing out at me.

All I did was link an interpretation of that quote from an Xbox site to try to explain why people are saying this. Why are you getting so defensive?

MS released standalone Xbox Ones for the same price as PS4 7-8 months later. There's only so many gamers buying system in the first 8 months. 1080p gaming was the key factor.
If that was the key factor, why would people not be buying the One X in droves?

It's almost as if the presence of games appearing next to the PS Brand was the REAL key factor. And it was. The "power" narrative really only matters in forums like this, unless there's a VERY compelling power-to-price factor.

SleepDoctor

Banned
"You guys"?

It's funny, you frequently assert you have no dog in the console fight, yet you frequently get defensive of Xbox. You don't even know what I'm about or what my "agenda" is, yet you're lashing out at me.

All I did was link an interpretation of that quote from an Xbox site to try to explain why people are saying this. Why are you getting so defensive?

Post history shows enough to know. I have no dog cuz I'll have both but after all the trolling and shitposting you guys did, you're eating a lot of crow now.

Most likely an alt of a previously banned member by looking at your activity actually.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not at all. We're still all here.

And with systems not coming out for another 6 months minimum, all everyone can do it sit, wait and have fun on forums with speculation.

We aren't the ones posting a thread 30 hours after Cerny's show (that thread someone posted about "state of the union") which had someone crying people were grilling PS5 for a whopping 30 hours.

Post history shows enough to know. I have no dog cuz I'll have both but after all the trolling and shitposting you guys did, you're eating a lot of crow now.

Most likely an alt of a previously banned member by looking at your activity actually.
My post history?

Where I've said that there's no "clear" advantage to either console and both are going to perform better than the other camp insists? Or where I didn't freak out over a Tflop count? Or perhaps where I was clearly being facetious?

And now I'm an alt, amusing. That mask is coming off fast, eh?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If that was the key factor, why would people not be buying the One X in droves?

It's almost as if the presence of games appearing next to the PS Brand was the REAL key factor. And it was. The "power" narrative really only matters in forums like this, unless there's a VERY compelling power-to-price factor.
Because the generation was already half over, and mid gen refreshes systems for most people aren't worth it. The majority of sales still come from base systems for both Xbox and PS.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
My post history?

Where I've said that there's no "clear" advantage to either console and both are going to perform better than the other camp insists? Or where I didn't freak out over a Tflop count? Or perhaps where I was clearly being facetious?

And now I'm an alt, amusing. That mask is coming off fast, eh?

Mask? Yours maybe. No need to entertain another alt account lol. Have a nice day bud.

Was that a really false rumours?

MS were really imposing some weird stuff. Even the big gaming media were after them and making some pressure.

Theres even a famous Interview with Geff and the Guy from MS with his stupid response "buy a 360 instead".

Sony exploited greatly with the vídeo below. No simple rumour at all. Dont twist reality, my friend

Last edited:
Because the generation was already half over, and mid gen refreshes systems for most people aren't worth it. The majority of sales still come from base systems for both Xbox and PS.
You don't play specs, son. No one does. You play games.

PS was perceived to have the games. It was THE place to play them all in the public eye. Even the PRO was selling at a rate of 1 to every 4 base PS4s, according to Sony, and it wasn't the power enticing most, but the perception of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom