• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are now into April with no proper nextgen reveals hinted anytime soon and the only thing we have seen of nextgen is Godfall and a music video.

This has got to be the most unhype nextgen transition I've seen in my lifetime. There may be some chatter on the hardcore forums but.. yea.. there's nothing to really be excited by yet. Nothing but teraflops and sdds.

Where's the 3rd parties at? Where's even a single god damned tech demo? Where is Unreal's nextgen feature showcase? There's nothing.

It's like the publishers' marketing plan is to lull us into a nextgen nap. Speaking of which.. :messenger_sleeping: I think it's working.

Neo Blaster

Sure they can have it maxed out if they limit high power cpu work loads like avx256. That is all they told us about it. Is there GPU work loads that cause issues? Are there other problematic CPU workloads. If a game makes heavy use of the problem work loads how low can the clocks go. There is so many questions unanswered intentionally by Sony right now. Just marketing speak mostly, a couple ect nothing concrete. You can choose to keep your head in the sand and defend the right to hide the bad. I will call out both companies for that behavior.
Cerny just said both CPU and GPU will have enough power to stay at 3.5 GHz and 2.23 GHz respectively, want else do you want him to say? This is not a marketing guy spilling PR BS like Greenberg.

hunthunt

Banned
So many fanboys spreading shitty rumours, so many people with zero knowledge/experience talking from their asses.

In the end, the graphics will be absolutely incredible just like this gen, with talented teams like Polyphony, Insomniac, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, InExile, Undead Labs, Rare, Obsidian and Mojang we can expect those TFlops being exploited to see crazy visuals.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

We are now into April with no proper nextgen reveals hinted anytime soon and the only thing we have seen of nextgen is Godfall and a music video.

This has got to be the most unhype nextgen transition I've seen in my lifetime. There may be some chatter on the hardcore forums but.. yea.. there's nothing to really be excited by yet. Nothing but teraflops and sdds.

Where's the 3rd parties at? Where's even a single god damned tech demo? Where is Unreal's nextgen feature showcase? There's nothing.

It's like the publishers' marketing plan is to lull us into a nextgen nap. Speaking of which.. :messenger_sleeping: I think it's working.
Hmm, is there anything different from previous generations transitions regarding reveals? I don't know, let me see....

Oh, yes, a pandemic!!!

Disco_

Will there be something like DLSS 2.0 on the new consoles? Imagine if Noughty Dog could create a 1080p game for PS5. Huge amount of power saved compared to native 4K.
There's no dedicated hardware to do what tensor cores do without taking away processing power from the apu.

There hasn't been any official word regarding this.

I was surprised why PS4 didn't support Bluetooth headphones while it is well supported on PS3 and DualShock 4 receives audio for the audio jack on Bluetooth. And we have come to end of the generation and still it is missing.
Dozens of USB transceivers allow you to use any aptX Bluetooth headphones on PS4/xbone. It's an additional cost, but if you already have $200-300 headphones, what's another $20?

Please dont forget the tech demo of the XSX running Ray Tracing in MiniCraft :)

kifQcLv.jpg

Last edited:
You really think a studio that's pulled talent from several Sony AAA studios is "starting small"? I think people are taking that out of context; "starting small" could mean an IP revival: Perfect Dark has been rumored for a while now. But some people are trying to interpret that as them doing something like, I dunno, a Life is Strange? Some small-scale game like that? Pretty low probability it's around that level, whatever it is (not slighting Life is Strange btw...at least the first one. 2nd one... :goog_downcast_sweat: )
I think very much so, yes. They themselves have said they want to look more at innovation than scale. I'd expect output more on the level of recent Japan Studio games than, say, a Santa Monica or Naughty Dog, at least for now. Establish chemistry, find footing, experiment, then take all that and put out something grandiose.

And I don't think a Perfect Dark revival would be something small. There's going to be a lot of expectations pertaining to that IP.

Also Booty's comment is just stating an obvious; they want to balance out AAA games with smaller-tier games. I actually prefer that because one thing I missed from Sony (and seems they are going to skimp on even more next gen) is the smaller 1st-party AA-style games. They seem to be focused on scaling back number of games from their 1st-party going forward, but making them even bigger AAA games.

Well obviously. Again, I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, just why the Xbox fanatics are being ribbed about it; they INSISTED that each of these studios would have bottomless funding for AAA and even "AAAA" output that was going to embarrass any PS exclusive studio you care to name. Now that it's confirmed they're not, there's going to be blowback from that.

That last bit is also amusing to me though as the same fanboys were FUD-ing when Sony said they were scaling back overall number of AAA titles for the sake of bigger, better ones. lol

The thing though is that they can do both, and it seems MS wants to do both. Sony's strategy seems to rely more on 3rd-party games to fill in the AA-tier and smaller-game slots, which is a good strategy, but not the same as them doing that themselves.

Gonna disagree JUST a bit there. While they do have mostly third-party deals for that, they also have their smaller-scale studios for AA output (Pixelopus, Japan Studio, Media molecule dabbles in both, etc.) and have put out quality AA as well. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them acquire some smaller studios for that express purpose.

That said some people are taking Booty's comments and spinning them as a slight or an edge for whatever weird reason, tho I have to admit his wording in general just gives a bit too much ammunition to people who like debating in bad faith to begin with. At least he isn't a Don Mattrick 🤷‍♂️

I don't think Booty's comments are being "spun" quite as much as exaggerating end result of said words, but we'll see. In the end though, he DID say it, and I think fans need to readjust their expectations accordingly.

Last edited:
A technique used to achieve photorealism in a game far from that is indeed an intriguing choice for a tech demo.
I'd have thought they'd go for that with a Gears 5 demo or something. Even if it was current Gen, showing how much better even those games can look with that tech would probably be a lot more impressive in the public eye.

I mean I know it's nothing to sneeze at in MC either, but... interesting.

thelastword

Banned
Remedy says this about PS5

‘PlayStation 5 is about making a really smooth, quick-to-load experience, and a hardware base that’s easy to use for us developers, which is great because it allows us to harness the hardware power quicker.’

But some XBOX fans who have PS5 dev kits and are deep in development are having trouble with their games......They can't optimize, those variable clocks are a nightmare, they are pulling their hair out... Wahhhhhh!!!

joe_zazen

Keep in mind, Matt Booty said this in 2019 so it is possible the two year support includes the end of 2019 - leading up to the launch of XSX.

Also we'll see PS4/XB1 support in general from all third party devs at least 1-2 years in anyway. I think the real potential of SSD's
will be start around year 3.

Yeah I know. Forbes contributor. Not the best source but my overall point is that the SSD advantages (asset streaming, etc )will be prevalent for both consoles & shouldn't just be reduced loading times for third parties. It's just that one SSD is faster than the other one.

Someone else posted this somewhere, but I think it is a pretty good analogy:

Devs: "We want you guys to ditch HDD's next gen and go with fast SSD's!"
MS: "Sure, here is an SSD that is 50 times faster than the current gen consoles!"
Sony: "Hey, we'll give an SSD that is 100 times faster than the current gen consoles!"

i think three years is optimistic for 3rd parties. Baseline is usually midrange pc from minimum five years ago. Idk when midrange pcs will have the kind of ssd streaming performance we are talking about, but it isnt today. So I am guessing 2025, or close to next next gen in 26 or 7. This is why I think MS chose their strat, more power less custom stuff, because what will matter is power not ssd speed for third parties.

Sony first parties will be able to leverage, but lets be honest. Sony teams are not funded like R*, Ubisoft, Activ, or even teams like 343. Sony is very much about efficiency and ROI. So will they have the time and money and balls to make new experiences, or will we just get iterated 3rd person walkie talkie games: tlou3, gow2, days gone, etc with better load times?

I am pessimistic because of their output this gen and the lack of real diversity in their studios. The genres Sony has heavily invested in this generation are not innovative or pushing the medium forward. The interesting stuff has few employees like 24 devs at MM, or Astrobot being made with 30 devs in 24 months. I dont see sony making world class games that leverage the tech to make new experiences. Those will come maybe late in the decade from third parties with giant teams and huge budgets.

I fully expect to be totally underwhelmed with whatever is revealed to be launched with ps5. Sony has not diversified their dev pool or given us any reason to think the launch wont be similar to ps4. Lets remeber, the hardware engineering team has no say in what software SIE chooses to make. If we look at PS3 and PS4 launch, expect shit tier ps5 exclusives, and some remasters.

Neo Blaster

I'd have thought they'd go for that with a Gears 5 demo or something. Even if it was current Gen, showing how much better even those games can look with that tech would probably be a lot more impressive in the public eye.

I mean I know it's nothing to sneeze at in MC either, but... interesting.
Didn't they use RT in that Gears 5 demo? It baffles me why they didn't use Forza or Halo for that purpose, looks like the other FP are too cartoonish to be used.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There's no dedicated hardware to do what tensor cores do without taking away processing power from the apu.

Dozens of USB transceivers allow you to use any aptX Bluetooth headphones on PS4/xbone. It's an additional cost, but if you already have $200-300 headphones, what's another $20?
Didn't cerny say checkboard had dedicated hardware in the pro? Checkerboard 2.0 could be even better.

Didn't they use RT in that Gears 5 demo? It baffles me why they didn't use Forza or Halo for that purpose, looks like the other FP are too cartoonish to be used.
True. Woulda been a good idea using another game already out without RT for the sake of better side-by-sides too.

Last edited:
i think three years is optimistic for 3rd parties. Baseline is usually midrange pc from minimum five years ago. Idk when midrange pcs will have the kind of ssd streaming performance we are talking about, but it isnt today. So I am guessing 2025, or close to next next gen in 26 or 7. This is why I think MS chose their strat, more power less custom stuff, because what will matter is power not ssd speed for third parties.

Sony first parties will be able to leverage, but lets be honest. Sony teams are not funded like R*, Ubisoft, Activ, or even teams like 343. Sony is very much about efficiency and ROI. So will they have the time and money and balls to make new experiences, or will we just get iterated 3rd person walkie talkie games: tlou3, gow2, days gone, etc with better load times?

I am pessimistic because of their output this gen and the lack of real diversity in their studios. The genres Sony has heavily invested in this generation are not innovative or pushing the medium forward. The interesting stuff has few employees like 24 devs at MM, or Astrobot being made with 30 devs in 24 months. I dont see sony making world class games that leverage the tech to make new experiences. Those will come maybe late in the decade from third parties with giant teams and huge budgets.

I fully expect to be totally underwhelmed with whatever is revealed to be launched with ps5. Sony has not diversified their dev pool or given us any reason to think the launch wont be similar to ps4. Lets remeber, the hardware engineering team has no say in what software SIE chooses to make. If we look at PS3 and PS4 launch, expect shit tier ps5 exclusives, and some remasters.

Guess thats depends on individual taste. In my opinion God of War, Spiderman,Death Stranding, Bloodborn, The Order 1886 and HZD were really great games in their respective ways. And I loved them all. Sure I am getting a little tired of all those open world games, however thats why I'm plaiying a lot of indie stuff and rogue likes on pc. Something a little easier to digest.

I for one deeply care about story driven, immersive games with good lore. But I guess even that is debatable from person to person. ( For example i find Fallout 3 and 4, Elder Scrolls games and the like really boring )

Yet some exklusive games disappointed me like Days Gone and Uncharted, i don't evrn know why they just lacked something? Had issues i couldn't oversee? I tend to find more and more stuff i games that disappoints me and then I quickly loose all interest. Guess my best gamer days are in the past. Getting to Old for all of this shit. 😂

Hmm, is there anything different from previous generations transitions regarding reveals? I don't know, let me see....

Oh, yes, a pandemic!!!
So in 2-3 months when we are on the other side of the pandemic, companies will feel comfortable talking about games again?

Things will not be better in 2 months they will be worse, because the economy will be worse. Millions without paychecks for so long will take its toll. Many of the jobs lost aren't coming back and many businesses will stay closed permanently so should everyone just give up and wait the 2-3 years it will take to recover ever so slightly before they show off nextgen?

My point is the pandemic sucks and all but as of now I don't see why the games industry would continue to clam up to see what happens. I think we know what happens... a recession/depression that won't be recovered from for years.

Anyway, my previous post was more about the slow drip feed of information over a pro-longed period of time resulting in less of a 'wow' response and more of an 'oh'. I think this marketing plan was in place for both MS and Sony regardless of the pandemic.

A technique used to achieve photorealism in a game far from that is indeed an intriguing choice for a tech demo.

I guess that MS knows for a fact that Sony is going all in at their PS5 reveal event with 1st party studios gameplay and they dont want to burn all their ships just yet.

The MiniCraft RT demo makes no sense to me and obviously impressed no one but I am sure they are going to show their full potencial in games like Halo or Forza at their June event too.

Funny times ahead :)

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

So in 2-3 months when we are on the other side of the pandemic, companies will feel comfortable talking about games again?

Things will not be better in 2 months they will be worse, because the economy will be worse. Millions without paychecks for so long will take its toll. Many of the jobs lost aren't coming back and many businesses will stay closed permanently so should everyone just give up and wait the 2-3 years it will take to recover ever so slightly before they show off nextgen?

My point is the pandemic sucks and all but as of now I don't see why the games industry would continue to clam up to see what happens. I think we know what happens... a recession/depression that won't be recovered from for years.

Anyway, my previous post was more about the slow drip feed of information over a pro-longed period of time resulting in less of a 'wow' response and more of an 'oh'. I think this marketing plan was in place for both MS and Sony regardless of the pandemic.
Companies are waiting because anything shown now will be lost among so many news about the pandemic, and as you said, it gets worse when people must think about providing for their families. Games are not exactly essential items.

Kusarigama

Cerny just said both CPU and GPU will have enough power to stay at 3.5 GHz and 2.23 GHz respectively, want else do you want him to say? This is not a marketing guy spilling PR BS like Greenberg.
I don't know why but Aron Greenberg seems to have some sort of obnoxious aura around him.

scie

I guess that MS knows for a fact that Sony is going all in at their PS5 reveal event with 1st party studios gameplay and they dont want to burn all their ships just yet.

The MiniCraft RT demo makes no sense to me and obviously impressed no one but I am sure they are going to show their full potencial in games like Halo or Forza at their June event too.

Well they showed global illumination in Gears 5 and path tracing (which is full ray tracing) in Minecraft, both things are pretty impressive for a console, because on PC only Nvidia RTX cards can do this right now or in reasonable performance. But I am with you on the choice of demo games. This was old stuff added with features.

joe_zazen

Guess thats depends on individual taste. In my opinion God of War, Spiderman,Death Stranding, Bloodborn, The Order 1886 and HZD were really great games in their respective ways. And I loved them all. Sure I am getting a little tired of all those open world games, however thats why I'm plaiying a lot of indie stuff and rogue likes on pc. Something a little easier to digest.

I for one deeply care about story driven, immersive games with good lore. But I guess even that is debatable from person to person. ( For example i find Fallout 3 and 4, Elder Scrolls games and the like really boring )

Yet some exklusive games disappointed me like Days Gone and Uncharted, i don't evrn know why they just lacked something? Had issues i couldn't oversee? I tend to find more and more stuff i games that disappoints me and then I quickly loose all interest. Guess my best gamer days are in the past. Getting to Old for all of this shit. 😂

Age has a way if doing that.

Idk for sure, but I think I may just be burned out on the rpg treadmill, and every big budget game has to include that now. People do seem to really like those mechanics, so tough shit for me I guess. I cant wait to see the bloat in the next assassin’s creed game, lol.

So when I start a game like AssCreed Odyssey, and I see those systems at play, all I feel is a sense of pointlessness at the prospectof 100+ hours of work to overcome a fake hill with no actual feeling of accomplishment at the end of it. It isnt like completing a 120km bike ride, or building your own headphone amplifier.

There are multiplayer things decoupled from that, but those don’t interest me as a gamer who isn’t looking for high stress and constant pewpew.

It is entirely possible I am not AAA gamer anymore as I play more board and mobile games than big console pc stuff. I feel so different now than the launches of the wii/wiiu/ps3/ps4/ds/3ds/vita. Hell, I even used to get excited at the release of a new version if windows, lol. Now, it is more fun to talk about it on forums.

fuck getting old.

Eh, I wouldn't say "no one". That's still pretty impressive, honestly. It's just not quite as obviously mind-blowing as some other games they could have chosen is all.

Disco_

Didn't cerny say checkboard had dedicated hardware in the pro? Checkerboard 2.0 could be even better.
Almost positive they use fp16/qpm for CB. Same as int4/8 being used in rdna2 for ML. It's specialized but it's also within hardware that's being primarily used for something else.

I understand that demo of Minecraft as today only exist 2 famous games adapt to use full raytracing one them is that game and the other is Quake so sounds logical also they want show
how easy to pass that version of minecraft to XSX.

I agree with you any company want use one of its bullets for a tech demo in an small presentation of the console features.

The thing is, they should use more realistic materials too.

When combined with realistic textures the jump is far more stunning.

If you use more realistic materials isn't anymore only an RT showcase. The jump from vanilla Minecraft and RT Minecraft is such that you are basically turning on and off Minecraft 2. If I can do the same with, let's say, RATCHET & CLANK, then fuck the rest imma playing only that on PS5.

DrDamn

No one? I was impressed, personally. Shouldn't speak in absolutes amigo ;)

Same here, and I'll be going PS5 first. What the Minecraft demo shows most clearly is the impact RT can have. It was the first RT demo that made me sit up and see a substantial impact. Obviously it's going from a pretty low place to begin with, but still. More impressive when you realise what it's doing too.

I think people are also sleeping on the impact a fast SSD will have on animation

two major hurdles with slow HDDs:

1. You have to save all animation routines the player could input in RAM, the system cannot rely on having to load this data from RAM because it would be too time consuming (20 sec delay)

2. animations can now be prioritized higher than other data, and within less than a second

animations will be freed up to be incredibly complex, varied, and fluid

3liteDragon

My guess for both consoles’ price:

Series X: US$499
PS5: US$430-450

But after that unlocked interview Phil did with IGN, I’m starting to think they might try to price match the PS5 if they have to. I can see a $450 Xbox Series X happening but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING below that, I just personally think PS5 has a higher chance of costing $450 rather than $399, would be surprised if they managed to pull off a $399 price tag though.

Last edited:

Indeed. Any upscaling technique would need to work well with int8 and int4, or be so cheap that any modern GPU could run it.

If MS could just get texture upscaling to work with int8 and int4 in at load time that would still be a pretty huge breakthrough though.

If you use more realistic materials isn't anymore only an RT showcase. The jump from vanilla Minecraft and RT Minecraft is such that you are basically turning on and off Minecraft 2. If I can do the same with, let's say, RATCHET & CLANK, then fuck the rest imma playing only that on PS5.
I think you can even use the same textures as original minecraft, but have them react more realistically to lighting. Make them PBR, perhaps based on plastic.

What I'm saying is that with full ray tracing, I think it should look like a real painted toy model. Not like 3d graphics.

Lng0004

RT Minecraft wasn't just vanilla Minecraft + RT though.

CJY

Banned
My guess for both consoles’ price:

Series X: US$499
PS5: US$430-450

But after that unlocked interview Phil did with IGN, I’m starting to think they might try to price match the PS5 if they have to. I can see a $450 Xbox Series X happening but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING below that, I just personally think PS5 has a higher chance of costing $450 rather than $399, would be surprised if they managed to pull off a $399 price tag though.
I agree, but PS1 $299 was a surprise, PS2 $299 was a surprise, PS3 $599 was a BIG surprise, and PS4 $399 was a surprise. I expect to be surprised again. I'm expecting $420-450 also, so $399 would be a surprise to me also. Then again, I can't see Sony giving up $X99 pricepoint and they, more than anybody know the importance of pricing to capture the mass market, so in a way I'm secretly hoping they eat any cost to get it out for $399.

PS user here. I was impressed.
Path Tracing on a console is impressive, even if it's Minecraft, and honestly if you can get such big upgrades with old games only with RT then it's fantastic.

Your post made me laugh, man. Because I recalled this funny post from you. I always thought you owned a Xbox one too.

👇 :)
I remember the old "Xbox 720" days.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

1. You have to save all animation routines the player could input in RAM, the system cannot rely on having to load this data from RAM because it would be too time consuming (20 sec delay)
Exactly, SSDs don't just mean fast data transfer, but efficient memory usage. I see so many people whining about how low 16GB is, but they use PC standards to base that. Nowadays SSDs are not just too slow compared to PS5's, they also lack all additional I/O chips that make that speed possible, hence better memory usage.

Last edited:
You are right.

I guess that some xbox users who have experienced 720p gameplay this gen are easily impressed nowadays ;)

Well I'm an Xbox/PS/Nintendo/PC/SEGA/SNK guy at heart when it comes to consoles but I don't have mega-high standards for graphics I suppose...

...unlike my avatars, clearly :lollipop_smirking:

Same here, and I'll be going PS5 first. What the Minecraft demo shows most clearly is the impact RT can have. It was the first RT demo that made me sit up and see a substantial impact. Obviously it's going from a pretty low place to begin with, but still. More impressive when you realise what it's doing too.

Exactly, plus for people who aren't as tech-savvy it was super-easy to see the difference without something like a DF pixel analysis to point things out. Seriously, when they tried pointing out the RT in the Halo:Infinite E3 trailer I just said "no way the average gamer is gonna notice any of this in real-time xD".

If you know what you're looking for in those types of games, you'll spot the RT especially when it's subtly used. But for more mainstream gamers I think stuff like the Minecraft demo work a lot better because the changes are obvious and immediate. It'd be like if NIntendo did a RT demo for Mario Odyssey; it'd be immediate to pretty much anyone regardless how hardcore a gamer or tech-literate they are when it comes to graphics.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
For all the NVIDIA DLSS lovers out there, Checkerboard 2.0 and Variable Rate Shading will save more than enough power at high resolutions on next gen consoles. Not every reconstruction technique needs to be hardware or machine learning based.

Banned
For all the NVIDIA DLSS lovers out there, Checkerboard 2.0 and Variable Rate Shading will save more than enough power at high resolutions on next gen consoles. Not every reconstruction technique needs to be hardware or machine learning based.

DLSS or AI upscaling in general is a great TAA replacement. TAA is ugly and blurry under close inspection. and DLSS 2.0 seems to not have nearly as many drawbacks as TAA.
while TAA smears the image in motion, DLSS 2.0 doesn't. so you can basically run at a high resolution, have DLSS/AI upscaling upscale above your screen resolution and have a really crisp looking anti aliased image with better results than using TAA or any of the other more or less ugly post process AA solutions

Banned
Was you comparing Infamous Second Son to a PS3 game?

No I said that the core game design of Second Son would be easily possible on PS3. the point of discussion was if early next gen games show something that was impossible on the previous generation, therefore using the new hardware fully. which second son didn't do.
you could retroactively port it to the PS3 with not much being lost in core design. that was my point back then.

Fake

No I said that the core game design of Second Son would be easily possible on PS3. the point of discussion was if early next gen games show something that was impossible on the previous generation, therefore using the new hardware fully. which second son didn't do.
you could retroactively port it to the PS3 with not much being lost in core design. that was my point back then.

I must be blind, but I don't recall PS3 games having such particle effects like Second Son, as you say, 'fancy particles effects'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom