• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

what kind of stupid tag is #corvid19? I thought the virus was called covid-19? Only British people would accidentally throw in an "r" there. Calling you British isn't the insult btw. It's that you're an idiot.

Don't mind me too much anyway, I've disliked your posts and your views for a long time. Couldn't resist getting a dig in.

I am british, we dont spell check every word if its on Neogaf or twitter - do you ?

We also have a very dry sense of humour, we take the piss all the time. Some people take things too literally.

I enjoyed Cerny talk, shame most cant either believe or understand it, but that is mostly brianless fanboys.

Last edited:

geordiemp

T

Here are some jn here saying they both can do it at the same time for the full 560....ehich ms said isn't a possibility. But who knows

Just think of it this way, its simple. Both XSX and PS5 use the same speed memory chips. So for XSX to have higher GPU access speed, it can only do that by using all of the bigger bus.

CJY

Banned
I am british, we dont spell check every word if its on Neogaf or twitter - do you ?

We also have a very dry sense of humour, we take the piss all the time. Some people take things too literally.

I enjoyed Cerny talk, shame most cant either believe or understand it, but that is mostly brianless fanboys.
Nope, I definitely don't spell check everything/anything.

Someone yesterday quoted, bolded, and underlined "it's" from one of my posts, when it should have read "its".

That kinda triggered me a little. LOL

Anyway, I haven't a problem with the British. Just so you know.

And Cerny is a legend. period. :p

You’re taking my twitter feed very personally.

Please, continue searching and detailing the thread. In amongst the several hundred tweets aimed at my governments shitty handing of things, theres all sorts.

The only one who derails the thread is you posting again the same shit about your fake source.

Then you try to provide moral lessons to everyone else.

So I asked you a question about the PS5 SSD.

Stop play the victim here. That tweet is yours, not mine.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The only one who derails the thread is you posting again the same shit about your fake source.

I wasn’t playing the victim, I was asked a question, and clarified it. You’re posting twitter replies from me. Either I’m a nobody, or I’m worthy of my posts being posted. Do make up your mind old bean.

Jesus, I would say go outside but given the circumstances...

No, really, I don't know what the fuck is going on.
So, he ask a dude to back up about the accusation of him pretending insiders to be bullied.
You respond by asking him to back up on a joke.
The fuck?
Did he pretended insiders to be harassed or not?
Was the statement "my source told me bullshit" fake or not?
Proofs?
C'mon for fuck's sake, can't we stay on a single line of reasoning.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So, he ask a dude to back up about the accusation of him pretending insiders to be bullied.
The fuck?
Proofs?

Mate I’m all for a bit of ribbing, I posted the wrong shit after all. That’s absolutely fine and well deserved.

But some people here are acting like my names Gary Glitter and I just sent their kids a Facebook friend invite.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

It’s obvious to me. And I don’t give a flying f about boost, or Cu counts, or voltages, it’s all just noise. In practice these differences will be non-noteworthy under any reasonable person test.

I’m talking about feeding ram being the real game changer, at unprecedented speeds. Data is the lifeblood of the virtual worlds we see in front of us, and this is where genuine geek excitement is to be had.
You are correct and incorrect at the same time.

Sure feeding the Ram is important, but none of that matters if you can’t process said data. So yes you should give a flying fuck about the rest of the system.

Some have the clarity of vision to see it for what it is, others will need to wait for practical examples. Truth is, it’s a fairly simple concept.
Since you have so much clarity please give some examples of these things PS5 will do that “nothing else can touch”

geordiemp

Nope, I definitely don't spell check everything/anything.

Someone yesterday quoted, bolded, and underlined "it's" from one of my posts, when it should have read "its".

That kinda triggered me a little. LOL

Anyway, I haven't a problem with the British. Just so you know.

And Cerny is a legend. period. :p

I think we all going a bit stir crazy.

Banned
anyone who actually thinks higher clocks are in any meaningful way better than slower clocks with more CUs is just as delusional as the 13TF crowd was.

the Series X is more powerful in every way aside of the SSD speed, get over it.
higher clocks will not result in better graphics than the way wider GPU, we only have to look at PC hardware tests to see exactly this. wider cards perform noticeably better and overclocking a narrower card gets you only so much performance gains.

and the fact that sone even try to spin the dynamic clock rates as something positive is more than ridiculous.
the only reason the PS5 has dynamic clock rates is because the hardware is not able to run at full clocks and full load, how the fuck is that good?
changing clocks like that are only used to squeeze a bit more performance out of a system that needs to be as cheap as possible and to look better on a specs sheet.
the only good thing about them is that it gets more performance out of the chip they have, that's it, that's all that's positive about it. it's a necessary evil basically

realistically speaking the PS5 will most likely never run at its full clocks on both ends, because if it would, these changing clocks wouldn't be needed, but they are needed. why? because the system can't reliably run at the highest clocks.

what this means is GPU intensive games will need to downclock the CPU in order to make sure the GPU is having no issues.
and CPU intensive games will need to downclock the GPU for the same reason.
this will most likely not be an issue with launch window titles since those will still be developed to run on jaguar CPUs as well, but if open world games get more complex, if more and more advanced AI and physics get used, the CPU will be taxed more and more, meaning that the GPU will most likely be downclocked.
the Series X has both a higher clocked CPU and also a more capable GPU and better RAM. meaning when games come around that will take full advantage of high end PC hardware, and then get ported to console they will run and look better on Series X, no clock speed advantage or SSD speed will change that.

Last edited:

Banned
Oh god, notto disu shitto agen.

btw: what you say about Sony's variable clocks is all wrong.

it's not. the system has a limit of how much power it can draw. and demanding games will hit that power limit and one of the 2 will need to be downclocked. i sure hope that developers have direct control over this, if not this is even worse.

CJY

Banned
it's not. the system has a limit of how much power it can draw. and demanding games will hit that power limit and one of the 2 will need to be downclocked. i sure hope that developers have direct control over this, if not this is even worse.
Devs don't code for the console. The console runs the games.

Devs use devkits. Devkits don't boost at all.

How do you explain this?

Last edited:

Fake

Can you back this statement up? Or is it the same fake shit you have been spreading here in this thread?

kJ0DTbx.jpg

Embarrassing make fun with a serious problem. Glad to put him on my ignore list.
BTW, someone explain to him that BGs BGs is having healthy problems with corvid19 as much he make fun?

Banned
Devs don't code for the console. The console runs the games.

Devs use devkits. Devkits don't boost at all.

How do you explain this?

wtf are you on about? how do dev kits function then? do they always run at full clocks, do they downlock to minimum clocks?
if the first is true, that's gonna introduce issues on retail hardware then if they just code for full clocks, and if the latter is true then games will be developed for a lower spec and then boosted.
both of these scenarios are ass.

I am not following the latest "leak" stuff about dev kits or shit. so... yeah... I dunno what this is about with non-boosting dev kits

Last edited:
The fuck?
Proofs?

You funny :)

Fallacies aside, can you prove to me that he had a real source and all the fake info was not made up?

No?

Then, please allow me (and others) to get my own opinions and conclusions.

Do not quote me again. I am not interested in this conversation.

A fallacy is the use of invalid or otherwise faulty reasoning, or "wrong moves" in the construction of an argument. A fallacious argument may be deceptive by appearing to be better than it really is.

Last edited:
I wasn’t playing the victim, I was asked a question, and clarified it. You’re posting twitter replies from me. Either I’m a nobody, or I’m worthy of my posts being posted. Do make up your mind old bean.

Jesus, I would say go outside but given the circumstances...
Don't waste your time and energy, you should just use the ignore function

CJY

Banned
wtf are you on about? how do dev kits function then? do they always run at full clocks, do they downlock to minimum clocks?
if the first is true, that's gonna introduce issues on retail hardware then if they just code for full clocks, and if the latter is true then games will be developed for a lower spec and then boosted.
both of these scenarios is ass.

I am not following the latest "leak" stuff about dev kits or shit. so... yeah... I dunno what this is about with non-boosting dev kits
See? The fact you don't know how it works shows you are completely and utterly uneducated on the topic and should not be making statements about PS5 here. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the past 15-20 pages since last thursday. You are free to talk about XSX all you want because there is nothing unusual going on there, it's a PC in a box, built using old paradigms.

Please STFU about PS5. You're wrong.

XSX is more powerful. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

Felessan

Every system has a limit of how much power it can draw.
And don't be delusional - it's not THE max power that given configuration can draw, because it's overkill in terms of cooling solution.
So xbox will hit the ceiling of it's cooling solution in some circumstances. And will begin to throttle. Maybe not by lowering clock but skipping clocks, but result still will not be very nice.

Shmunter

You are correct and incorrect at the same time.

Sure feeding the Ram is important, but none of that matters if you can’t process said data. So yes you should give a flying fuck about the rest of the system.

Since you have so much clarity please give some examples of these things PS5 will do that “nothing else can touch”
The argument is only valid if there was potential the console GPU was completely deficient and unable to render adequately, is that even a realistic assessment? Is the suggestion a 10tf or even a 9tf if that were the case, RDN2 GPU cannot render a detailed enough scene??

As far as examples of LOD, here’s a basic one; today level of detail assets in real-time cut scenes are highly detailed - clearly they are being rendered by a GPU you’ll acknowledge because you can see it. These assets can only exist in cut scenes because they push ram limits and there is no room for the rest of the world outside of the focused cutscene. These assets cannot be swapped IN & out fast enough within gameplay due to a slow Hdd.

However a fast ssd will now enable those assets to be available fast enough to be supported in game. So as you play the game, and the camera zooms in on the car, or a character, etc, the cut scene quality assets can be swapped in real-time within seamless gameplay. The available LOD takes on a whole new meaning. You feel me?

DaMonsta

See? The fact you don't know how it works shows you are completely and utterly uneducated on the topic and should not be making statements about PS5 here. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the past 15-20 pages since last thursday. You are free to talk about XSX all you want because there is nothing unusual going on there, it's a PC in a box, built using old paradigms.

Actually you have it wrong. It was never said the dev kits don’t have to boost clocks .

You should probably get your info right before telling people to STFU

Banned

why don't you educate me then? how do ps5 Dev kits work, and is that info reliable?

because all I see in here is the same bullshit that happened ahead of the PS5 spec reveal, where fanboys were daydreaming about unrealistic bullshit until reality hit. and now they seem to try to mold this reality into something salvageable for their fanboy rhetoric. that's how this looks in here, which is why I was zoning out more and more.

DaMonsta

The argument is only valid if there was potential the console GPU was completely deficient and unable to render adequately, is that even a realistic assessment? Is the suggestion a 10tf or even a 9tf if that were the case, RDN2 GPU cannot render a detailed enough scene??
It can only render what it can, SSD speed has nothing to do with it.

As far as examples of LOD, here’s a basic one; today level of detail assets in real-time cut scenes are highly detailed - clearly they are being rendered by a GPU you’ll acknowledge because you can see it. These assets can only exist in cut scenes because they push ram limits and there is no room for the rest of the world outside of the focused cutscene. These assets cannot be swapped IN & out fast enough within gameplay due to a slow Hdd.

However a fast ssd will now enable those assets to be available fast enough to be supported in game. So as you play the game, and the camera zooms in on the car, or a character, etc, the cut scene quality assets can be swapped in real-time within seamless gameplay. The available LOD takes on a whole new meaning. You feel me?
This is solved simply by more ram and processing power.

We see it on PC right now, more ram and GPU power means more detail and less LOD, pop-in, etc.

And simply “more detail” is not something “nothing else can touch”

You funny :)

Fallacies aside, can you prove to me that he had a real source and all the fake info was not made up?

No?

Then, please allow me (and others) to get my own opinions and conclusions.

Do not quote me again. I am not interested in this conversation.

A fallacy is the use of invalid or otherwise faulty reasoning, or "wrong moves" in the construction of an argument. A fallacious argument may be deceptive by appearing to be better than it really is.
If you are not interested don't quote me in the first place.
I don't need to prove anything because I'm NOT stating he's not fake for sure, I'm asking YOU, not only because you have an opinion but because you are giving things for certain.
The problem here is not an opinion, the problem here is calling him fake because yes, not thinking he MAY be fake.
I can't prove anything, so I don't accuse him. I ACTUALLY think he may be fake, why not? But I don't have proofs, so I shut the fuck up.
It seems you can't prove anything too, but you accuse him. This is a falllacy, my italian friend.
This is a forum but the people behind the screen are real, you know? Try taking accusations for granted in person and see what happens.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Actually you have it wrong. It was never said the dev kits don’t have to boost clocks .

You should probably get your info right before telling people to STFU
The whole point is that devkits don't boost when optimising the game, talking about variable clocks in PS5 is pointless without talking about the possibility of locking the clocks on the devkit.

CJY

Banned
why don't you educate me then? how do ps5 Dev kits work, and is that info reliable?

because all I see in here is the same bullshit that happened ahead of the PS5 spec reveal, where fanboys were daydreaming about unrealistic bullshit until reality hit. and now they seem to try to mold this reality into something salvageable for their fanboy rhetoric. that's how this looks in here, which is why I was zoning out more and more.
Nobody is trying to make out PS5 is more powerful than XSX though, or trying to say SSD will make up the GPU difference.

Fact is, PS5 is a complicated beast doing a lot of new things and nobody outside fully understands everything yet.

Another fact is that the variable clocks are seen as being innovative, logical, and ushers in a new paradigm for console design, which is why comparing it to XSX is apples vs. oranges. It's pointless. XSX is more powerful in terms of GPU. Everybody accepts this.

If you want to read just a few tidbits about the devkit and more, here:

DaMonsta

The whole point is that devkits don't boost when optimising the game, talking about variable clocks in PS5 is pointless without talking about the possibility of locking the clocks on the devkit.
Again, that was never said. What was said was that the dev Kits have different “profiles” of lowering either the CPU or GPU based on dev needs. Therefore devs don’t have to optimize, but eventually devs will be able to make the choices/optimizations themselves.

CJY

Banned
Again, that was never said. What was said was that the dev Kits have different “profiles” of lowering either the CPU or GPU based on dev needs. Therefore devs don’t have to optimize, but eventually devs will be able to make the choices/optimizations themselves.
Yes, it's about developer choice and the profiles makes it easier to optimise a game rather than trying to optimise for variable clocks.

I don't know what that means where is says "devs don't have to optimise". Every game needs optimisation. Eurogamer can't be fully trusted. They said PS5 doesn't have SMT... So take it all with a grain of salt.

Bottom line, PS5 APU isn't some shit moving target console that can't sustain its clocks. Far, far from it.

Last edited:
If you are not interested don't quote me in the first place.
I don't need to prove anything, I'm asking YOU, not only because you have an opinion but because you are giving things for certain.
The problem here is not an opinion, the problem here is calling him fake because yes, not thinking he MAY be fake.
This is a forum but the people behind the screen are real, you know? Try taking accusations for granted in person and see what happens.

Another fallacy :)

Where I gave things for certain here? Wasn't 11.6tf, 52CUs false information? It is for me.

Now listen, I dont really care about your moral lessons and all that crap. Really. Dont waste your time. Move on.

DaMonsta

Yes, it's about developer choice and the profiles makes it easier to optimise a game rather than trying to optimise for variable clocks.
Sure they make it easier. But your previous assertion that the dev kits “don’t boost” was incorrect.

I don't know what that means where is says "devs don't have to optimise". Every game needs optimisation. Eurogamer can't be fully trusted. They said PS5 doesn't have SMT... So take it all with a grain of salt.
Mark Cerny himself said devs don’t have to optimize for the clocks, but then he said they would.

Blame him for the confusion in messaging, not DF.

Bottom line, PS5 APU isn't some shit moving target console that can't sustain its clocks. Far, far from it.
No one calls it a “shit moving target” but it clearly can’t sustain max clocks otherwise it wouldn’t have to throttle.

Another fallacy :)

Where I gave things for certain here? Wasn't 11.6tf, 52CUs false information? It is for me.

Now listen, I dont really care about your moral lessons and all that crap. Really. Dont waste your time. Move on.
No, it's not, again lol
It was false informations, it means he is fake? No. Fallacy, see?
You can't prove if he has a surce or not. You can't prove if that source was bullshitting him even if it was a real source.
So, really no need to be harsh against someone which you know nothing about. You are asking him to back up a JOKE (which means nothing) while he was asking for proof of insiders harrasment.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It can only render what it can, SSD speed has nothing to do with it.

This is solved simply by more ram and processing power.

We see it on PC right now, more ram and GPU power means more detail and less LOD, pop-in, etc.

And simply “more detail” is not something “nothing else can touch”
Yes a GPU can render only what it can render, and it can only render what is given to it, the ssd can only facilitate in more giving - not the rendering itself. No it will not make a 10tf GPU into a 20tf GPU. If anyone says that, you can tell them Shmunter says they’re full of it.

As far as ram, no it is not simply solved, more cache is a good thing, but it’s expensive and even then you eventually exhaust that bucket and need to go back to the well for more data IF the game is specifically designed for sustained streaming loads. 50gig of ram would literally be blown through in seconds. Not all games will be stream oriented to such levels of course, but if ssd does not become a requirement for pc gaming in the future it would be a huge surprise.

So yes, PS5 streaming potential is unmatched right now. Not to be confused with actual use of that potential, which as I said previously may be the exception rather than the rule. At least for a while yet.

Last edited:
No, it's not, again lol
It was false informations, it means he is fake? No. Fallacy, see?
You can't prove if he has a surce or not. You can't prove if that source was bullshitting him even if it was a real source.
So, really no need to be harsh against someone which you know nothing about.

Again the same shit? Hilarious :)

Move on!

DaMonsta

Yes a GPU can render only what it can render, and it can only render what is given to it, the ssd can only facilitate in more giving - not the rendering itself. No it will not make a 10tf GPU into a 20tf GPU. If anyone says that, you can tell them Shmunter says they’re full of it.

As far as ram, no it is not simply solved, more cache is a good thing, but it’s expensive and even then you eventually exhaust that bucket and need to go back to the well for more data IF the game is specifically designed for sustained streaming loads. 50gig of ram would literally be blown through in seconds. Not all games will be stream oriented to such levels of course, but if ssd does not become a requirement for pc gaming in the future it would be a huge surprise.

So yes, PS5 streaming potential is unmatched right now. Not to be confused with actual use of that potential, which as I said previously may be the exception rather than the rule. At least for a while yet.
The whole point of the supper fast SSD is to be used “kinda like ram”

There’s no benefit to having a faster SSD over actually having more ram. Other than loading times.

The SSDs in the consoles are exciting because in some situations they effectively increase the amount of available ram beyond what could have been put in the consoles due to cost. I get that.

What’s still abstract at this point is how/what the PS5s extra SSD speed will allow it to do that can’t be done anywhere else.

Last edited:

Genx3

MS already stated that their Ram is Asymmetrical and that is something that can not be done on PC.
Basically the CPU will access its Ram at 336GBPS and the GPU will access its Ram at 560GBPS at the same time.
Why are people trying to convolute that statement?
Of course what ever BW the CPU is using will be subtracted from the GPU BW and Vice Versa.

Last edited:
Those idiots who brought core 2 duos should went with high clocked p4. Those idiots who bought the the low clocked 2800ti should got higher clocked 2060 for more performance. Just because mark netburst cerny has to sell his design to the public does not make it correct. Wanna bet the next high end nvidia cards are not low cores super high clocked? It's all PR plain and simple he way over spent on the SSD and there limited budget left for the apu so clock it just short of exploding. It's fine to admit he is wrong here unless your saying nvidia is also wrong lol.

this. his entire speech was PR speak.

Here’s the reality: Sony set on launching PS5 in 2019, things changed and caused a delay but they were stuck with their APU design (9.2 @ 2ghz) and MS caught them with their pants down. Then, Somy realized this and had Cerny do whatever he could to make up the difference. This is when he added boost clocks just to be able to claim 10.2tflops and then went ham on SSD to have a selling point. in the end, the ps5 will cost just as much as the xsx due to increased cost of the ssd and cooling and have fairly subpar performance.

Shmunter

The whole point of the supper fast SSD is to be used “kinda like ram”

There’s no benefit to having a faster SSD over actually having more ram. Other than loading times.

The SSDs in the consoles are exciting because in some situations they effectively increase the amount of available ram beyond what could have been put in the consoles due to cost. I get that.

What’s still abstract at this point is how/what the PS5s extra SSD speed will allow it to do that can’t be done anywhere else.
Twice as fast ssd means twice the availability of new assets or twice the detail of the assets. Sorry bro, I can’t explain it any simpler, you’re on your own journey of discovery henceforth.

geordiemp

The CPU is not tying up the bus. The GPU always has access to its 10Gb memory at the lower 1Gb address on each chip. The GPU AFAIK can only see the 10Gb and its dedicated VRAM for the most part.

The only thing I would add is that is that GPU is locked off from accessing the 6Gb/336Gbs pool and can ONLY see the 10Gb pool. It always has access to the lower 1 Gb address space of the 10 MCs regardless of What the CPU is doing. The CPU has access to all 16GB and the upper and lower addresses but Devs are emphasized to use the upper 1Gb address for CPU Audio and OS storage. The distribution of access and usage isnt uniform but mostly your example is about right.

1. Both Ps5 and XSX are using the same speed memory. Yes or no ? 14 gbs

2, Hence if both consoles used 256 bus, the bandwidth will be the same ? 448 ?

3., To get to 560, XSX has to use the full 320 bus. all of it. Hence the wider bus. The memory does not clock faster.

Forget about the CPU / GPU and just look at the memory and bandwidth speed, and width that is it.

XSX will have a big advantage if most of in frame assets are < 10 GB IMO (everything that is accessed in RAM running frequently no matter what it is)

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Twice as fast ssd means twice the availability of new assets or twice the detail of the assets. Sorry bro, I can’t explain it any simpler, you’re on your own journey of discovery henceforth.
But again you can’t achieve twice of anything without the CPU/GPU power to process it.

As long as a system can keep its APU full with data, the advantages of a faster SSD are still not apparent at this point.

So by claiming the fast drive in the PS5 will allow it to do what can’t be done elsewhere, you are claiming that elsewhere the CPU/GPU isn’t being used to the max.

xacto

While everyone in here is talking about "wide and slow" and "narrow and fast", I am now looking at a paltry 1GB patch for The Division 2... being copied for the past 45 minutes on top of the original game. Now THIS is something that will be a thing of the past on the new consoles, and I am happy with just THAT.

That was all.

ZywyPL

Banned

But what does that REALLY mean for the end consumers/gamers? That PS5 will perform like 20.6TF and 16 core console? Sorry bro, but I can't ask it any simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom