• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Boss

While I agree that it is unlikely to not offer options to use your wired headphones, it isn't REALLY wired, since the controller itself connects to the main box wirelessly.

Well, you can connect wired, or I should say, maybe that’ll be an option as well, just as it is with PS4.

RagingTiger

Neo Member
I have a 5 year old son and we pretty much play everything together, so I was just wondering how much do you guys think the controller will cost by itself? because the adaptive triggers, built-in mic with a bigger battery life you would expect this to cost more than your average $65 controller.

Hostile_18

Banned
Is it too early to get an external hardrive for the PS4 and plug it in the PS5 when it gets here? Any requirements I should look out for? Is it as fast as an internal hardrive?

The most space we will be able to get of SSD is probably 2tb (total) so I'll need an external normal HD for my legacy titles. Already maxed out my ps4 2tb internal long ago.

nosseman

One has to wonder why Phil still bother about Japan. I guess they must have hardware selling there albeit poorly so they can grab a few Japanese games.

Japan still have a pretty big developer scene and games from these developers drive hardware sales in the rest of the world.

Japan is a pretty small overall market for Sony also.

Sony has sold a little over 100 million PS4. In Japan they have sold around 8 million units. Europe and NA is much bigger markets respectively. Europe 21 million and NA 30 million.

So - Sony is winning big over MS in Japan but the market is pretty small overall.

One has to wonder why Phil still bother about Japan. I guess they must have hardware selling there albeit poorly so they can grab a few Japanese games.
Is not that bad actually, they do that because they are so bad now in that Country than any improvement is a success and also is the pride of the company in some way

Evilms

Banned
EVHU59QU4AA2Lsz

EVGOZfhWkAEP6V1

EVGEsSWXgAIpdKy

EVHvps2XgAE1_8Q

Last edited:

husomc

That patent with the touch screen and touchpad sliding off still could happen imo, I don’t think we know ALL of the features of the DualSense just yet. That touchpad looks more detached from the controller compared to the DualShock 4’s touchpad, almost as if you can take it off.

gnQjXPc.jpg

Can anyone find and post that touch screen patent here? It’s the one with the God of War menu on it.
Sony could use a colour e-ink display on that touchpad. Would make sense for it being white and all. And an e-ink display wouldn't consume much power either.

Jon Neu

Banned
MS real enemies are Google, Amazon and to a lesser extent Apple.

Sony & MS are competing but also recognise that they need each other retain their duopoly.

MS is targeting being a gaming brand this gen across mobile, streaming, console and PC.
Sony is focusing purely on console.

The fixed clock problem is that the clocks aren't fixed, they vary, just like everything else out there. Geez... I'm not going to repeat myself again. Good luck.

MS enemies in other segments are other companies, but when it comes to videogames, it's enemy is Sony.

The same way Sony has other enemies in the smartphone or the cinema entertainment medium.

MS is targeting being the number one gaming console, but Sony is in the way. They both have other diverse markets they want to lead, there's nothing special about it and doesn't change their antagonistic nature in the videoconsole market.

What clocks aren't fixed? The PS5 clocks? We know that already.

Lets not get this twisted this is still SonyGAF, there are two different scales for ban-able content and the purging of one side has been going on for a long time. Just look at your post right here and the last few "opinion" threads that have been started just today that has enough proof of it

VRS isn't a gimmick it's going to be an essential part for next generation. MS rightfully positioned it like that and the fact that PS hasn't mentioned it what so ever not even their own proprietary technology that could replicate VRS is very strange. If they somehow don't use VRS the gap is going to end up being huge. We know the PS5 has less power and less RT capability, with no VRS potentially this will be an absolute slaughtering from MS.
Vrs is just a form of resolution gimping.
Expect 720p like resolutions from 2013 if vrs is heavily employed especially in Lockhart.

The VRS patent MS have is for VRS implementation within dx12 if I'm not mistaken. Has nothing to do with ps5 or amd using it in ps5. VRS isn't an MS ip.

I don't think MS's VRS patent is for DX12, as such - Nvidia have their own implementation that they use for their latest DX12 cards.

MS have used their own implementation for XSX, and it's embedded into their RDNA2 based console. The question is, do AMD have another implementation for use with their RDNA2 cards, or have they used MS's solution too? Given that AMD have already had to integrate this into an RDNA2 GPU for XSX, it might be prudent to re-use this work. Up to this point, no AMD hardware has had VRS so far.

It's certainly possible that AMD have an alternative solution that MS wanted to replace for [reasons], or that Sony worked with AMD to add their own (pretty low level customisation I'd think). So far, neither AMD or Sony have talked about this. MS's in-you-faceness talking about their patented VRS solution and Sony's complete silence on the matter has got me thinking.

FeiRR

Banned
Vrs is just a form of resolution gimping.
Expect 720p like resolutions from 2013 if vrs is heavily employed especially in Lockhart.
That's the beauty of console warring: "Har har! Your console is slower! It won't sustain 60 FPS in 4k!" and at the same time "Har har! You don't have the technology which allows you to drop resolution if you can't sustain 60 FPS!"
Both are obviously false but the fun, the fun my friend... It continues!

ksdixon

these controller mockups are nice but...

the blue bits on the front of the controller is the light bar, which extends underneath the touchpad, right? this will be blue/red/green/pink for players 1-4, like it is right now, right?

so many of these mockups would look complete shit if that area was still showing the blue light instead of matching whatever color goes with the rest of the controller.

Disco_

I have a 5 year old son and we pretty much play everything together, so I was just wondering how much do you guys think the controller will cost by itself? because the adaptive triggers, built-in mic with a bigger battery life you would expect this to cost more than your average $65 controller.
You can keep using your ds4. I'm expecting +$10 over ds4 MSRP.

The built-in rechargeable point has a bitter taste for some :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I still think the touchpad is upgradeable to a touch screen, it's popped out for a reason.

20200315_225643_597.jpg

20200315_225632_925.png

Could be as well some imaginary shit.
It's most likely popped up because the light bar underneath has to be visible by ps camera.

ethomaz

Banned
Is it too early to get an external hardrive for the PS4 and plug it in the PS5 when it gets here? Any requirements I should look out for? Is it as fast as an internal hardrive?

The most space we will be able to get of SSD is probably 2tb (total) so I'll need an external normal HD for my legacy titles. Already maxed out my ps4 2tb internal long ago.
Amy external hard drive that works on PS4 will works on PS5 but for play you will only can play PS4 games from external HDD on PS5.

If you have money you can get way more than 2TB with SSD.

Last edited:

ksdixon

GAF, what's your guesses on if the touchpad is really a touchscreen photoshopped blank, or being able to be swapped with an attachable screen like the old patent?

I like the idea a screen, but
If it does become a touchscreen I'd have to see it to understand it's use-application better. Might just be one of those you have to try it to get it things.

As it is, I can't see a screen being big enough to act as a PS5 remove play device, almost like a PSP/VITA.

And I can't see the point in a 2nd screen experience like reading PS messages when PS apps exist on mobile, or indicating health status like a VMU in this day and age.

GAF, what's your guesses on if the touchpad is really a touchscreen photoshopped blank, or being able to be swapped with an attachable screen like the old patent?

If it does become a touchscreen I'd have to see it to understand it's use-application better. Might just be one of those you have to try it to get it things.

As it is, I can't see a screen being big enough to act as a PS5 remove play device, almost like a PSP/VITA.

And I can't see the point in a 2nd screen experience like reading PS messages when PS apps exist on mobile, or indicating health status like a VMU in this day and age.

From what Sony's told us, this DualSense blog post was designed to get ahead of potential leaks from devs. As such, I can't see there being any hidden features that might affect developers in a meaningful way.

I can see the swappable screen being something they toyed with and patented, but decided to scrap in the end.

Last edited:
It's most likely popped up because the light bar underneath has to be visible by ps camera.

I do understand your point, but are we certain that we can use the DualSense with the old PSVR?

Since Sony has "confirmed" that the DS4 can be used with the PS5, I can see this as a way to assure retrocompatibility with the previous gen games and hardward (PSVR).

Last edited:

I guess if your at a buddies house and you receive a message you can read it on the controller instead of the TV screen.

Then there's the ability to use the touch screen to control media while your playing a game.

I'm guessing that's what it's going to be for. Although some developers might use it as a substitute for a minimap or for use of hot keys in an MMO (Macros).

ethomaz

Banned
Some people say it's a clone of the Xbox One controller but to me it looks more like a PlayStation controller than anything else. However I do see how it borrowed some of the design the 360 controller had.
It has basically the shape and size of DS4 but they removed the circle relief behind the 4 buttons and D-pad.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Amy external hard drive that works on PS4 will works on PS5 but for play you will only can play PS4 games from external HDD on PS5.

If you have money you can get way more than 2TB with SSD.

Brilliant, cheers. Oh sorry when I was referring to the SSD that was for the expansion port. 800 odd gigs just wont do for storing next gen games, no where near for me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Brilliant, cheers. Oh sorry when I was referring to the SSD that was for the expansion port. 800 odd gigs just wont do for storing next gen games, no where near for me.
Next-gen games is suppose to be way lower in size... actual games discs have too many duplicated assets for sequential reads... SSD kills that trick.

I won't be surprise if we go from an average 50GB per game this gen to less than 20GB on average next-gen.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Next-gen games is suppose to be way lower in size... actual games discs have too many duplicated assets for sequential reads... SSD kills that trick.

I won't be surprise if we go from an average 50GB per game this gen to less than 20GB on average next-gen.
But at the same time they can have more asset variety thanks to 2xRAM increase and SSD streaming plus probably higher texture resolution and those things will even out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom