• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Because right now it's not given and there's no indication on will there be VRS support or not. And that's something at least I'm concerned of.
It is pretty much given since its a basic RDNA2 feature and PS5 is custom (read: enhanced) RDNA2
It makes no sense to specifically opt out of a feature that frees GPU resources for no practical reason (minimal transistor impact if any)
3vpvsx.jpg

Tx Power efficiency and typical usage, and simple power efficient circuits that intel accelerated in CPUs (IIRC from Intel Centrino launch).

Bluetooth operates in the unlicensed frequencies(same as 802.11A iirc) with lower data-rate, but with higher range – assuming same Tx power for b,g,n, ac - so that allows for even less tx power if wanting to reduce the range to about 5-10m. People 20m or a wall or ceiling away can then reuse the range for their bluetooth without fear of excessive interference. Giving lots of reuse in small areas – hence the PAN personal area network term that came into usage with bluetooth. As they’ve increased the versions of Bluetooth, smaller lithographies have allowed better encoding at same power, hence increased data rates within the same frequencies (AFAIK).

LDAC was proprietary to begin with, but Sony sensibly donated the source code for the codec to Android 7 to increase usage on all handsets to sell more high-end headphones to all smartphone buyers – not sure about iPhone.

To be fair, Hi-res audio upscaling is so effective with 128bit mp3 that just a chip to supplement low latency game codec (aptx?) would still be good for the DualSense using quality wired phones.
Any idea of the bitrate cap for decent wireless headsets and DS4?
128bit upscale sounds gross

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Has it been reported if you can charge rechargeable AA batteries via usbc cable when the batteries are in the xsx controller?

PaintTinJr

…...

Any idea of the bitrate cap for decent wireless headsets and DS4?
128bit upscale sounds gross
Sorry, that was a typo, it is supposed to say 128kbit/s - although you might still think that's awful if you haven't heard hi-res upscaling in action.,But checking the LDAC specs and it goes all the way up to 990Kbit/s, but the 330kbit/s mode (from phone to soundbar) provides similar range to a DS4 in my house with similar reliability and quality is fantastic, so I'd expect something around the 256kbit/s (which upscaled is beyond CD IMO).

SonGoku

Sorry, that was a typo, it is supposed to say 128kbit/s - although you might still think that's awful if you haven't heard hi-res upscaling in action.,But checking the LDAC specs and it goes all the way up to 990Kbit/s, but the 330kbit/s mode (from phone to soundbar) provides similar range to a DS4 in my house with similar reliability and quality is fantastic, so I'd expect something around the 256kbit/s (which upscaled is beyond CD IMO).
nah bro i ain't buying the snake oil, there's no way i'll ever find 128kbit/s acceptable lol
Absolutely minimum source 256kbit/s and "enhance" from there

Kinda annoying Sony doesn't provide spec for DS4 audio signal

Last edited:

Grodiak

Has it been reported if you can charge rechargeable AA batteries via usbc cable when the batteries are in the xsx controller?

That would be amazing! I have rechargeable AA's and a quick charger but man, just treating the controller as it would have an internal battery would be sweet. And then for those extra-long-quarantine-sessions you could still just swap out fresh ones.

But I'll be honest... those kinds of sessions are way too few and far apart these days. :( (not the quarantine bit... but just the marathon gaming session part)

JLB

Banned
MS is probably the most powerful company on earth and has ties to the cia and us military. Of course they know what their competition is doing. Sony has their own sources, how good they are? who knows. But Microsoft absolutely does not need to buy a ps5 dev kit to know whats going on. Besides, Mojang will get them for free.

hahahah yeah, i imagine nadella using yhe red phone direct line to the pentagon asking for the exact number of teraflops of ps5.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Lets not get this twisted this is still SonyGAF, there are two different scales for ban-able content and the purging of one side has been going on for a long time. Just look at your post right here and the last few "opinion" threads that have been started just today that has enough proof of it

VRS isn't a gimmick it's going to be an essential part for next generation. MS rightfully positioned it like that and the fact that PS hasn't mentioned it what so ever not even their own proprietary technology that could replicate VRS is very strange. If they somehow don't use VRS the gap is going to end up being huge. We know the PS5 has less power and less RT capability, with no VRS potentially this will be an absolute slaughtering from MS.

You mean the opinion threads that were quickly closed, from both sides of this juvenile inanimate object war?

If you’re only intention is to sow discord here with your preconceived notion, let us know now and we can take care of that pain it’s causing you.

RagingTiger

Neo Member
Looking at ps5 devkit design I just find it so weird why Sony would make it so stylish for a devkit, but my theory is sony is testing the vent airflow design with the v and blade vents on the side for heat dissipation!?. sony did it with the Ps2 devkit where it looked idenicle to the retail version. with how crazy looking Sony made they're Duelsence controller I wouldnt be suprised if this devkit is similar in design with obvious refinements with a white and black design, Obviously just my thought.

SonGoku

VRS isn't a gimmick it's going to be an essential part for next generation. MS rightfully positioned it like that and the fact that PS hasn't mentioned it what so ever not even their own proprietary technology that could replicate VRS is very strange. If they somehow don't use VRS the gap is going to end up being huge. We know the PS5 has less power and less RT capability, with no VRS potentially this will be an absolute slaughtering from MS.
MS doesn't own VRS nor are they pioneers of it
The narrative that Sony must cover the exact same talking points as MS is tiresome.

Different companies focus on different topics to present their products, VRS is a great addition to free resources but also a highly specific talking point just because MS decided to make it center stage of their PR campaign doesn't mean Sony has to do the same, they have different priorities to showcase their console. Why would Sony talk about a basic RDNA2 feature when they haven't discussed GPU capabilities? They haven't even discussed RT which is a much bigger deal.

Last edited:
When it’s hard to explain there’s often a reason you’re not told. No company would say variable clocks allowed us to claim more theoretical performance on paper and that’s the main reason why we have them. Not saying that’s what happened but until we see the advantage it brings..
Also I can’t believe developers are using kits which clocks that are managed differently than in the retail unit. That’s a first for sure.
Yeah I know what you mean. It seems that it is something they make automatically happen a t a system level. Which makes you wonder if the fixed clocks on the dev kits are just a tad lower, especially on the CPU side to balance out the GPU lower TF. It's becoming interesting. I'm loving how everyone is starting to kind of get along and understand that MS and Sony truly are moving in different directions. If one of them succeeds the other will follow next gen (MS: Live, now Sony: PSN, Sony: Share button now MS: Share button, MS: controller, now Sony: Look alike controller). They all want a piece of each others pie.

cragarmi

Looking at ps5 devkit design I just find it so weird why Sony would make it so stylish for a devkit, but my theory is sony is testing the vent airflow design with the v and blade vents on the side for heat dissipation!?. sony did it with the Ps2 devkit where it looked idenicle to the retail version. with how crazy looking Sony made they're Duelsence controller I wouldnt be suprised if this devkit is similar in design with obvious refinements with a white and black design, Obviously just my thought.

I think it's likely similar, just a reduction in height, and LEDs on the sides, rather than the front. I don't think we're getting the front LCD though. I hope we get to see it next week!

MS doesn't own VRS nor are they pioneers of it
The narrative that Sony must cover the exact same talking points as MS is tiresome.

Different companies focus on different topics to present their products, VRS is a great addition to free resources but also a highly specific talking point just because MS decided to make it center stage of their PR campaign doesn't mean Sony has to do the same, they have different priorities to showcase their console. Why would Sony talk about a basic RDNA2 feature when they haven't discussed GPU capabilities? They haven't even discussed RT which is a much bigger deal.

Why would Sony mention technologies they don’t support or areas they have a disadvantage to their primary competitor? That’s not a dig at Sony by the way. It’s no mistake they led the announcement with SSD, 3D audio and a rather kick ass controller. Cause that’s where they have a distinct advantage when compared against the competition.

Microsoft may have exclusivity of various RDNA2 features such as VRS. Sony may not support all the features we currently associate with RDNA2. There is plenty of flexibility via weird marketing technicalities that could explain Sony’s lack of transparency. Maybe the rumours suggesting their GPU being more akin to RDNA1.5 are true. Or perhaps you are correct and they simply don’t feel these features are important to mention at this time. The point is we don’t know and shouldn’t assume too much until we have more information.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Why would Sony mention technologies they don’t support or areas they have a disadvantage to their primary competitor?
Like HW RT? ;)
What you are suggesting is removing basic RDNA2 features which has no basis on reality
Cerny didn't mention ML yet its already confirmed, by the same logic PS4 wouldn't support tessellation yet it does...
Microsoft may have exclusivity of various RDNA2 features such as VRS.
Again no basis in reality, this we know for certainty: AMD does not concede/give rights to their graphics IP to anyone.
MS does own however their software implementation for VRS
RDNA2 already confirmed

I mean anything is possible, if you want to bring forward a theory do so with reasonable points and accurate information. Im merely correcting flawed arguments/points and fake info

Last edited:

3liteDragon

That patent with the touch screen and touchpad sliding off still could happen imo, I don’t think we know ALL of the features of the DualSense just yet. That touchpad looks more detached from the controller compared to the DualShock 4’s touchpad, almost as if you can take it off.

gnQjXPc.jpg

Can anyone find and post that touch screen patent here? It’s the one with the God of War menu on it.

Last edited:
Like HW RT? ;)
What you are suggesting is removing basic RDNA2 features which has no basis on reality
Cerny didn't mention ML yet its already confirmed, by the same logic PS4 wouldn't support tessellation yet it does...

Again no basis in reality, this we know for certainty: AMD does not concede/give rights to their graphics IP to anyone.
MS does own however their software implementation for VRS

It’s not unreasonable to question why conformation of specific technologies has not been made. Blind assumptions of inclusion don‘t help either. AMD has separate deals in place with both Microsoft and Sony, neither you nor I know the intricacies of what they contain, nor how closely the GPU RDNA2 CU match between the two. What we have right now is one of those customers being far more transparent with their products supported technologies and the other a great deal more coy. It’s not outside the realms of possibility that there may be purpose in Sony’s lack of detail. Call it the cynic in me but I’d wager there is something not so beneficial somewhere in the detail. Please don’t conflate healthy conjecture with a supposition of fact e.g. ‘no basis in reality’ is an absolute that may not be entirely correct and that you have no way of disproving.

That patent with the touch screen and touchpad sliding off still could happen imo, I just don’t think we know ALL the features of the DualSense just yet. That touchpad looks more detached from the controller compared to the DualShock 4’s touchpad, almost as if you can take it off.

gnQjXPc.jpg

Can anyone find and post that touch screen patent here, it’s the one with the God of War menu on it.

It would definitely help keep the price of the controller down if they sold the screen separately. If something like that did exist it would be useful for operating the OS and reading messages.

RaySoft

As for temps I am actually more concerned with the longevity of the PS5 at normal OT. Overclocking 20% I need to wonder if it will be as bulletproof as the PS4 has been for the past 7 years. It is really the main reason I will not be purchasing a PS5 . I can see these failing due to the stress they will be under.

I Won't get a a XBX so I'll hold out for a few years and see how the PS5 holds up before I will consider it.
I'm not gonna lie. Usually you want more compute rather than speed. It's a balancing act. But now we have enough ROPs etc for pushing pixels to a 4K screen. The next jump is 8K and that needs much more pixel power to archeive. I think Cerny just made a more balanced box with transistors that counts more than heavy pixel pushing. What are the XSX gonna do with it's superior pixel pushing power? It's not big enough to make the next jump anyawys. Why not then design a console with less pixel performance and boost it where things really needs upgrading, like storage bandwith? XSX has more shaders also ofc, wich will always come in handy, but you also need to saturate them if they should earn their place in the silicon.
Sony's Ace in the hole is that Cerny is a game developer as well. He has a really good grasp of both software and what is required of the hardware to make it tick.

Last edited:

SonGoku

It’s not unreasonable to question why conformation of specific technologies has not been made.
Its not a reasonable basis for the argument either... If you have anything more than "they didn't touch on the same points as MS" then im all ears
Blind assumptions of inclusion don‘t help either
and blind assumptions of exclusions do?
AMD has separate deals in place with both Microsoft and Sony, neither you nor I know the intricacies of what they contain, nor how closely the GPU RDNA2 CU match between the two.
AMD doesn't give rights of their IP to either one of them, there are no "ifs" here: MS doesn't own AMD graphics IP
Cerny even mentioned how these semicustom collaborations work: they ask AMD for specific customizations and if the concepts are useful outside of just the specific console design they are incorporated globally in all designs. In the hypothetical scenario where VRS was brought forward to AMD during the XSX design that still wouldn't make it exclusive to MS.

In any case VRS is a global RDNA2 feature integrated into the pipeline from its inception, its not a separate block that was just added mid development.
rdna1-1024x575.jpg
Please don’t conflate healthy conjecture with a supposition of fact e.g. ‘no basis in reality’ is an absolute that may not be entirely correct and that you have no way of disproving.
Im open to discussing theories, when i said no basis in reality i referred to two specific points
  1. Sony opting out of a basic RDNA2 feature for no apparent reasons (if there are any valid reasons, do bring them forward)
  2. MS having exclusivity rights to VRS has no basis in reality, there's no information that supports it

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Lets not get this twisted this is still SonyGAF™, there are two different scales for ban-able content and the purging of one side has been going on for a long time. Just look at your post right here and the last few "opinion" threads that have been started just today that has enough proof of it

Wow, another meltdown from an X fan after just a controller reveal :messenger_face_screaming:

3liteDragon

DualSense’s Touchpad Couples With Touchscreen Interface, Might Also Remember Gestures - SegmentNext

Another article posted today, this is why I said before they haven’t revealed everything about the controller yet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom