• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Can someone ELI5 this :

Say I'm Alienware and I'm making a gaming laptop with an AMD APU .. why would/wouldn't I chose GDDR6 over DDR - cost?/performance?/somethingelse?

..(thinking).. If GDDR6 is the right choice for console APU, why not other applications ??
For an APU GDDR6 is the best option for GPU perfomance, since in most gaming scenarios it will be GPU botlenecked anyways
The fact Subor went with unified GDDR5 pool instead a 4GB GDDR5 + 8GBDDR4 setup is telling there are inherit benefits (or limitations?) to a unified pool for gaming APUs
What if we are looking at GDDR6 in dual channel (2x16bit data) mode - that might/would report 8x 2GB chips as 16 1GB chips .. maybe .. ok I have no idea how this bench reports multi-channel set ups ..

just a thought
The whole thing is bugged, i woulnt look to much into it, waste of time

Last edited:

xool

[more on "Flute" memory]

Single core bandwidth was reported at 33.1GB/s .. lets say 32GB/s for simplicity and assume 16Gb/s GDDR6

Doesn't this mean 16bit data mode - since 16Gb/s x 16 bit data width / 8 bits per byte = 32 GB/s (32 bit mode would be twice as big)

Did I do the calculation right ?

SonGoku

[more on "Flute" memory]
Single core bandwidth was reported at 33.1GB/s .. lets say 32GB/s for simplicity and assume 16Gb/s GDDR6
Doesn't this mean 16bit data mode - since 16Gb/s x 16 bit data width / 8 bits per byte = 32 GB/s (32 bit mode would be twice as big)
Did I do the calculation right ?
giphy.webp

Gonzalo is a specialized, high performance gaming chip. It's like the opposite of the what AMD does with their laptop/desktop APUs. Wouldn't surprise me if even the newer 3400G is still weaker than PS4, a 2013 design. They don't seem to step on their semi-custom contracts with desktop equivalents.
Gonzolo is an embedded part so if it exist it must be semi custom. My bet is on a subor like device, though i also doubt its existance
Tomshardware speculates that Flute is Scarlett ..
lol "journalists" have child like thought process "Gonzolo is already taken by ps5 so flute must be teh Scarlet"
Battle of the "monster" consoles:
chichi.jpg

Last edited:

xool

[even more on Flute memory]

At 2Gb/s/pin in HBM2, and a 128bit data width that could be the observed 32GB/s per core/channel ..

(2Gb/s/pin x 128pins / 8 bits/byte = 32 GB/s)

Could be HBM2

Remember stuff like this :

Maybe they're still working on HBM2 APU samples just in case HBM2 becomes affordable mainstream

Last edited:

R600

Banned
[even more on Flute memory]

At 2Gb/s/pin in HBM2, and a 128bit data width that could be the observed 32GB/s per core/channel ..

(2Gb/s/pin x 128pins / 8 bits/byte = 32 GB/s)

Could be HBM2

Remember stuff like this :

Maybe they're still working on HBM2 APU samples just in case HBM2 becomes affordable mainstream
Except you are rounding up to 32GB/s which would be maximum with HBM2, while benchmark shows higher bandwidth that indicates downclocked 18Gbps chips (since 16Gbps are 32GB/s max).

MadAnon

It would still be cheaper than discrete parts, maybe there lies the appeal

This is most likely a gaming apu for sale, not necessarily laptop.
What gaming laptop has unified gddr6 memory pool? Do you have any examples? You basically just put fingers in your ears and scream "NaNaNaNa I can't hear you!" They are building custom SoC for gaming laptops there? How else you will get this kind of configuration into laptop?
If it's HBM memory then it would make sense as a possible gaming laptop APU but not gddr6.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Except you are rounding up to 32GB/s which would be maximum with HBM2, while benchmark shows higher bandwidth that indicates downclocked 18Gbps chips (since 16Gbps are 32GB/s max).
Could be a bug, he also explained theres some tomfoolery with L2 L3 caches + memory chips adding up to the score
What gaming laptop has unified gddr6 memory pool? Do you have any examples? You basically just put fingers in your ears and scream "NaNaNaNa I can't hear you!" They are building custom SoC for gaming laptops there? How else you will get this kind of configuration into laptop?
A gaming APU, just toying with options, just because it was never done before doesnt mean it never will
Whats with this fixation of linking every random APU to consoles?
CrustyBritches CrustyBritches are there any AMD APUs with GDDR5 unified pool?

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Its not about linking every APU with next gen consoles, its linking leaked high performance APUs such as Gonzalo and this one to consoles because they actually point in that direction.

There has never been laptop or gaming APU with top line PC grade GPU and 16GBs of absolute fastest, top of the shelf, RAM. This is why well known leakers such as Apisak and KOMACHI believe these are console parts.

Its completely different topic that some people have fixated belief that next gen consoles should have 50% better GPU then AMDs best PC parts that go for $400 and use node that is still not used in mass production just to gain additional 20% die space and 15% less TDP.

R600

Banned
Btw

Gonzalo January leak - 1.0GHZ boost QS sample - 13e9 code

Gonzalo April leak - 1.0GHZ base/1.8GHZ boost - 13f8 GPU code

Flute July leak - 1.2GHZ base/1.8GHZ boost - 13f9 GPU code

I guess these are revisions of the chip, as can be seen Flute has 0.2GHZ higher boost which, coincidentally, matches to lower sweet spot for Navi.

SonGoku

its linking leaked high performance APUs such as Gonzalo and this one to consoles because they actually point in that direction.
I see that now, after some research i realized AMD PC APUs are just CPUs with iGPUs like intel CPUs, not complete boards
So it doesn't make sense for a generic for sale gaming APU

Its most likely gonzalo so a semi custom chip for some chinease console or unknown gaming device
There has never been laptop or gaming APU with top line PC grade GPU and 16GBs of absolute fastest, top of the shelf, RAM
There have been laptops with top of the line GPUs but now that i understand how AMD sells commercial APUs it doesnt make sense indeed since they dont sell boards
It has to be a semicustom for a specific partner.

Last edited:

xool

Btw

Gonzalo January leak - 1.0GHZ boost QS sample - 13e9 code

Gonzalo April leak - 1.0GHZ base/1.8GHZ boost - 13f8 GPU code

Flute July leak - 1.2GHZ base/1.8GHZ boost - 13f9 GPU code

I guess these are revisions of the chip, as can be seen Flute has 0.2GHZ higher boost which, coincidentally, matches to lower sweet spot for Navi.

I think the possibility that Flute is Xbox needs to be considered - explains the different product code .. it's opinion right now as to whether Scarlet and Gonzalo would have neaby PC-ID numbers (assigned by AMD) - there's nothing to say yes/no right now afaik

Last edited:

SonGoku

I think the possibility that Flute is Xbox needs to be considered - explains the different product code .. it's opinion right now as to whether Scarlet and Gonzalo would have neaby PC-ID numbers (assigned by AMD) - there's nothing to say yes/no right now afaik
I think both are the same, and too shitty to be on a next gen console
Its probably Subors next chip :messenger_tears_of_joy:

R600

Banned
Scarlett shown had 320bit bus and therefore 10 14Gbps chips on motherboard. Flute clearly has 256bit bus and 18Gbps chips based on leaked benchmark.

I dont see how this can be Scarlett.

R600

Banned
16Gbps*

I agree, flute aka gonzalo its too under powered for next gen consoles
Nope, its 18Gbps. Since its been removed we cannot see it, but its more then 16Gbps is capable of. Then again, Anandtech OCed 16Gbps chips in yesterdays 2080S review so it could be that as well. Although my guess is that its certainly 18Gbps which Samsung promised in January.

Nope, Gonzalo is not underpowered. .It delivers FS score of 5700XT @1.8GHZ and 3700x equivalent.

xool

Scarlett shown had 320bit bus and therefore 10 14Gbps chips on motherboard. Flute clearly has 256bit bus and 18Gbps chips based on leaked benchmark.

I dont see how this can be Scarlett.

ok that's true .. if the xbox2 reveal teaser actually showed a scarlett board .. that thing got everyone's head scratching with its odd memory set up .. just a prop or the real thing ?

R600

Banned
ok that's true .. if the xbox2 reveal teaser actually showed a scarlett board .. that thing got everyone's head scratching with its odd memory set up .. just a prop or the real thing ?
I think odd thing in setup was that it also had 12Gbps chips, alongside 14Gbps, which would indicate mix RAM speeds. Odd, but technically completely feasable. It just leaves people with guessing, if they are not all 2GB chips, how much will final consol have? Can have 16GB or 18GB. But also they can go witu 10 14Gbps 2GB chips and get 20GB, so it doesnt tell us exact number, but we know its 320bit bus.

SonGoku

Nope, its 18Gbps. Since its been removed we cannot see it, but its more then 16Gbps is capable of. Then again, Anandtech OCed 16Gbps chips in yesterdays 2080S review so it could be that as well. Although my guess is that its certainly 18Gbps which Samsung promised in January.
More than likely OC chips or the l2-l3 cache tomfoolery xool xool mentioned
Nope, Gonzalo is not underpowered. .It delivers FS score of 5700XT @1.8GHZ and 3700x equivalent.
5700xt is only good if the target is 1440p otherwise under powered
Flute had a 1700x equivalent CPU also underpowered.
just a prop or the real thing ?
Im beggining to think it was an oversight

R600

Banned
5700xt is only good if the target is 1440p otherwise under powered
Flute had a 1700x equivalent CPU also underpowered.
Flute has higher IPC then 1700x even with considerably higher latency.

There is very good reason for them to drop L3 cache in favor of more die space and less TDP on CPU side. There is no reason to have full fat Zen2 when 8core Zen2 can run any game on 150fps without even breaking a sweat. That is far, far beyond what console devs will need from CPU in console environment (30fps standard and odd 60fps titles).

SonGoku

Its scores where on par with 1700x at same clocks
There is very good reason for them to drop L3 cache in favor of more die space and less TDP on CPU side
For a 360-400 mm2 die sure, for a 320mm2 die makes no sense.
There is no reason to have full fat Zen2 when 8core Zen2 can run any game on 150fps without even breaking a sweat.
Current gen games designed around Jaguar cores, you have a very shortsighted vision towards game development, we are also talking about an underclocked 3700x.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Some people mentioning that the 1.6GHz base clock is there for PS4 compatibility but how does that work with Pro enhancements? Does this mean PS5 will be running base PS4 code for BC and all the Pro enhancements will be lost?

SonGoku

Some people mentioning that the 1.6GHz base clock is there for PS4 compatibility but how does that work with Pro enhancements? Does this mean PS5 will be running base PS4 code for BC and all the Pro enhancements will be lost?
Its just speculation based on games without pro patches, Pro boost mode type bc makes more sense

R600

Banned
No it doesnt, check the user bench scores.

For a 360-400 mm2 die sure, for a 320mm2 die makes no sense.
It actually makes total sense on smaller die. You want to maximize yields, costs and performances. How to do it? Have as much performance in smallest possible die. To achieve this, cut the fat from CPU that already demolishes every single game on the market. Not only demolishes, you can get 150fps on every single current gen game on 3700x.

Current gen games designed around Jaguar cores, you have a very shortsighted vision towards game development, we are also talking about an underclocked 3700x.
No, you have very rossy vision towards actual console design philosophy. Jaguar cores where COMPLETELY underpowered in 2013. In fact, Jaguar cores where likely slower inside console then Cell was and that was designed 10 years before.

CPUs have to be able to run games at 30fps in consoles. 3700x is a CPU that runs every current gen game at min 5x the frame rate, so what will be better trade off? Have 20% lower IPC on already OP CPU or 30% more GPU power on already limited GPU performance?

Its all about tradeoff in consoles. Even 7th gen consoles didnt have OOO CPUs and that was a time when console performances where pushed to breaking point. Time where console hardware makers lost 200-300$ per console.

Last edited:

xool

We just don't know enough about those benchmark programs to be objective - specifically the size of the data sets used, and (as a result) whether the cache sizes/memory speeds were a factor

There are two extremes
  • Bench uses data set well under 512kB (L2 cache size) - scores reflect CPU peak performance
  • Bench uses data set over L3 cach size (4/8/16MB) - scores reflect system performance
Don't have that information without the benchmark code. It's a black box experiment

Last edited:

Mass Shift

SonGoku SonGoku

Have you considered that after the foundation of the mid-gen refreshes, the race to the top in terms of graphic performance may not be that important to Sony anymore? That Sony may only be interested in establishing it's baseline performance standard for the start of the generation and later let the 5 Pro fulfill the unkept promises like 8K etc.

We KNOW that's what MS was considering with it's two console strategy, but became concerned that devs would select the lesser performing Lockhart as the lead hardware of the two. Leaving Anaconda un-optimzed and otherwise unadopted.

We should leave room for this in our estimations now that refresh platforms are apart of the long term strategy of the console makers.

SonGoku

Benches posted here and ree showed it score on par with 1700x. That's all we have to go atm
It actually makes total sense on smaller die. You want to maximize yields, costs and performances
The difference 20mm2 will make on a 320mm2 die yields its minimal, and as the process matures it will be null
So it doesnt make sense to cripple CPU performance for minimum short term savings. Consoles are all about long term plans

For a 360-400mm2 die you'd have a point, otherwise it doesn't make sense
you can get 150fps on every single current gen game on 3700x.
lol not even close, maybe on 60 ps console games like doom but in more cpu intensive games i doubt it
and again this is 4.4GHz on games designed around weak jaguar cores

Consoles will run around 3.2GHZ with games designed to exploit the new CPU in ways that it will bring it to its knees
Jaguar cores where COMPLETELY underpowered in 2013
Current gen games are designed around those jaguar cores thats why you get 150fps on some games
In fact, Jaguar cores where likely slower inside console then Cell was and that was designed 10 years before.
Not a general purpose task, they where much faster
. 3700x is a CPU that runs every current gen game at min 5x the frame rate, so what will be better trade off? Have 20% lower IPC on already OP CPU or 30% more GPU
At 4.4GHz... and you said it yourself current gen games designed around weak jaguar limitations

New CPU is supposed to enable previously unattainable experiences not just run current gen games at faster framerates with minimal upgrades. The CPU power will be used towards more interactive, dynamic and alive worlds more complex ai routines, complex physics etc.
Have you considered that after the foundation of the mid-gen refreshes, the race to the top in terms of graphic performance may not be that important to Sony anymore? That Sony may only be interested in establishing it's baseline performance standard for the start of the generation and later let the 5 Pro fulfill the unkept promises like 8K etc.
So far haven't seen that in their messaging, the opposite actually
To answer your question, I toyed with the idea of 1440p PS5 and 4k PS5 Pro before, but with recents tech developments im confident they can deliver a competent 4k machine (11TF+) without breaking the bank

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Man I cannot do this anymore. Just total waste of time.

I just pointed out to you that Jaguar cores where COMPLETELY underpowered by every metric at tue start of last gen, and it still hasnt made Sony or MS say "fuck it, lets ask IBM to make us custom chip".

This time we are getting seriously powerful CPUs that are almost universally bottlenecked by GPUs and not CPUs. Just check 720p benchmarks from Guru3D and you will see 3700x runs things like BFV at ~180fps.

For consoles, that will run games at 30fps, that means you would be left with 5/6 of iddle time in game like BFV. Even if we drop the cache and downclock it to 3.2GHZ, you would still get 100fps+ in such games.

Console devs will always trade CPU performances for GPU performances, especially in cases when CPUs are underutilized and have far too much perf compared to GPUs, which are bottlenecks in 99% of cases.

Mass Shift

So far haven't seen that in their messaging, the opposite actually
To answer your question, I toyed with the idea of 1440p PS5 and 4k PS5 Pro before, but with recents tech developments im confident they can deliver a competent 4k machine (11TF+) without breaking the bank

So definitely no less than 54CUs or this aint happening. There would have to be more CUs for MS though, I just don't' see them pushing the higher clocks.

SonGoku

Just check 720p benchmarks from Guru3D and you will see 3700x runs things like BFV at ~180fps.
BFV already runs at 60fps on PS4 so no surprise a game designed to run at 60fps on jaguar cores runs at 100fps+ on 3700x at 4.4GHZ
For consoles, that will run games at 30fps, that means you would be left with 5/6 of iddle time in game like BFV.
So you expect next gen to run current gen games? do you not realize this is a flawed comparison
Even if we drop the cache and downclock it to 3.2GHZ, you would still get 100fps+ in such games.
Current gen games...
Console devs will always trade CPU performances for GPU performances,
This point is solid, never disputed it
What is flawed however is saving 20mm2 on a 320mm2 die, if it was in the 360-400mm2 range, i would agree.

So definitely no less than 54CUs or this aint happening. There would have to be more CUs for MS though, I just don't' see them pushing the higher clocks.
60 total on DUV
Depending on SE configuration:
3 regular SEs or 2 beefed up SE. We are looking at 54CUs or 56CUs enabled

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

It actually makes total sense on smaller die. You want to maximize yields, costs and performances. How to do it? Have as much performance in smallest possible die. To achieve this, cut the fat from CPU that already demolishes every single game on the market. Not only demolishes, you can get 150fps on every single current gen game on 3700x.

No, you have very rossy vision towards actual console design philosophy. Jaguar cores where COMPLETELY underpowered in 2013. In fact, Jaguar cores where likely slower inside console then Cell was and that was designed 10 years before.

CPUs have to be able to run games at 30fps in consoles. 3700x is a CPU that runs every current gen game at min 5x the frame rate, so what will be better trade off? Have 20% lower IPC on already OP CPU or 30% more GPU power on already limited GPU performance?

Its all about tradeoff in consoles. Even 7th gen consoles didnt have OOO CPUs and that was a time when console performances where pushed to breaking point. Time where console hardware makers lost 200-300$ per console.
Have you played games like hitman 1/2, Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey? With maxed out details even fast i7 and Ryzen will dip below 60fps in some demanding locations, not to mention 150fps LOL😀. And these are all games build with current gen console games.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Have you played games like ast two hitman 1/2, Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey? With maxed out details even fast i7 and Ryzen cant provide 60fps in some demanding locations, not to mention 150fps LOL😀
114fps for ACO
173fps for BFV
182fps for CIV
118fps for FC5
168fps for ME
237fps for Rage
151fps for Sekiro
247fps for TR
239fps for Witcher
358fps for Wolfenstein

Seems pretty fucking fast to me at 720p when GPU bottleneck is removed.

Now, 20-30% less performance, I think would be pretty damn good for consoles, no? If we could get even lower TDP and 24mm² of die freed up for few CUs more?

xool

CPU power

Stuff this gen failed to deliver properly :
  • Large scale destruction in Crackdown 3
  • Fluid simulation in Deep Down
Physics in current gen games, even on PC, is at the absolute most basic level.

I can't really name any (made for console) game where more than 10 objects are in motion and have their collision motions physically simulated. [edit - the havok physics sandbox built into Oblivion/Skyrim ie CheeseWheels is an exception]

Last edited:

SonGoku

Seems pretty fucking fast to me at 720p when GPU bottleneck is removed
More demanding current gen games averaging ~120 fps at 4.4Ghz i wonder how much that would drop at 3.2GHz 100-80 FPS?
At thast before taking into account minimum frame rate dips
Shaving 30% of a 3700x at 3.2GHZ leaves 70 to 60 fps on current gen games

Next gen is supposed to bring new experiences enabled by the more powerful CPUs not current gen games at faster fps
Now, 20-30% less performance, I think would be pretty damn good for consoles, no? If we could get even lower TDP and 24mm² of die freed up for few CUs more?
You know im all for adding more CUs but it makes zero sense to shave 24mm2 from an already small 320mm2 die
What you propose would have some merit in the 360-400mm2 range
CPU power

Stuff this gen failed to deliver properly :
  • Large scale destruction in Crackdown 3
  • Fluid simulation in Deep Down
Physics in current gen games, even on PC, is at the absolute most basic level.

I can't really name any (made for console) game where more than 10 objects are in motion and have their collision motions physically simulated. [edit - the havok physics sandbox built into Oblivion/Skyrim ie CheeseWheels is an exception]
THIS
I expect next gen games to bring the new CPUs to its knees and enable massive interactive and dynamic worlds.

Last edited:
Guys didn't you notice SonGoku is so sure and stubborn he must be a Dev working on a next gen title (busted), didn't you see the signs ? i saw the signs.

Honestly, it's weird to have a performance laptop with APU with a powerful iGPU like 5700XT and 16GB high-speed GDDR6, and no DDR4 memory. That's a console build. A powerful one with futuristic RAM and ~$350-400 GPU performance.
we already had laptops with 1080 in the past and now 2080.

Exactly. APUs are for cheap and easy laptops. More capable laptops have separate CPU and GPU. They have many tiers and configs where you would see DDR4 as well. Not only that, it's weird to even see a powerful APU like this on desktop. I have Ryzen 2400g and it's like a Xbox One at best.

It could be another SuborZ+ type console, or Alienware Steam Machine, etc. PS5 still seems most likely to me. :pie_thinking:
or it could be a new APU for gaming laptops.

5700xt is a midtier GPU and as I've said with Zen2 AMD APUs will be much more popular
This APU (if laptop oriented) will be targeted to gaming laptops or maybe its a gaming APU
yep could be.

I dont get it lol
lol me either, i tryed so hard.

it could be a prop, why would they give that up.

they could go with RX5800 variant. (best case scenario)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Take 360 then which was more or less on par with ps3
That's another discussion alltogether as parity there had more to do with market positioning than just hw output(forced parity was a thing before XB1, and yes I mean PS3 titles being held back).
And in discussion forums it's driven by individual preferences, not unlike things like GC >= XBox etc.
Though I would say 360 punched above its weight in many respects, and late cross-gen titles are a great example of gap to X1 perceptually not being all that large.

We know GCN punches above its weight compared to terascale so the gap between PS4 and 360 GPUs is even higher than what raw numbers say.
I agree, but that's why I said context matters. Compute power is a useful short-hand in largely similar architectures, but it's still just a part of it, and even less meaningful as a single number when comparing across architectures.
The massive memory jump and move from optical to HDD storage drove a ton of difference all by itself, for instance.

Last edited:

SonGoku

That's another discussion alltogether as parity there had more to do with market positioning than just hw output(forced parity was a thing before XB1, and yes I mean PS3 titles being held back).
Would you say that its true even on titles where PS3 came on top (Vanquish, GTA5)?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Would you say that its true even on titles where PS3 came on top (Vanquish, GTA5)?
I prefer not to speculate without knowing internal details, but it's not 'impossible', I know at least one title that 'won' a DF face-off that was held-back on PS3.
Of course the more common case was things being architected around lead-platform strengths and that was almost never the PS3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom