• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlenus

Marlenus

I'm not sure either!

I'm on holiday at the moment and typing this on mobile. If I was at home, I'd be all over that 2000 clock leak to verify it. Here my google-fu skills are weak unfortunately.

As I see it currently:
  • 12 TF - rock bottom target on 7nm EUV
  • 14.2 TF - mid-low target 72@1550 (my current baseline)
  • 16.1 TF - mid-high target 72@1750
  • 18.4 TF - ultra target 72@2000
I've no idea how this beast will be cooled / powered. It seems crazy that these type of figures are even on the table but here we are.

Scarlett specs would get a bump too as it will also be 7nm EUV.

Well I don see 80 CUs happening. Too big in terms of die area and too much power consumption at those clocks.

I could see 60CUs, 96 rops, 384 bit bus happening though, 50% bigger than navi 10 so 375mm^2 ish then 75mm^2 for a zen2 die and we are at 450mm^2. You might be able to get that to sub 400mm^2 with 7nm euv but 80 CU seems too big.

There is also the power consumption and an 80 CU beast running at 2Ghz would consume 500 is watts on current 7nm. Even with 20% savings from 7nm euv it is still 400 watts.

60CUs is probably doable in a 300W envelope with the zen2 cores if the clockspeed is in the sweet spot so say 1.6ish GHz, maybe more if process allows.

TLZ

Banned
Well I don see 80 CUs happening. Too big in terms of die area and too much power consumption at those clocks.

I could see 60CUs, 96 rops, 384 bit bus happening though, 50% bigger than navi 10 so 375mm^2 ish then 75mm^2 for a zen2 die and we are at 450mm^2. You might be able to get that to sub 400mm^2 with 7nm euv but 80 CU seems too big.

There is also the power consumption and an 80 CU beast running at 2Ghz would consume 500 is watts on current 7nm. Even with 20% savings from 7nm euv it is still 400 watts.

60CUs is probably doable in a 300W envelope with the zen2 cores if the clockspeed is in the sweet spot so say 1.6ish GHz, maybe more if process allows.
What about 54CUs? How many watts there?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The circular logic being used is great. Data miner leaks clock speeds -> Random forumite retweets, adding TF number -> Forum posts random forumite's retweet + sauce -> wccftech reads retweet on forum and posts article on the retweet with added details from a random forumite posted on a forum by some other rando as being directly from Data Miner -> Therefore PS5 is a 2080, the tech media reported it.

We used to play this game at camp it's called "Human Telephone" and there's a variant called "Pass it on".

Last edited:

SonGoku

No game is built for the higher clocked Jaguars and with Xbox One X specs in mind, you are reaching there... ;).
Its not like there are any idle resources on the X... the higher clocked jags are use to keep up with the beefier gpu and push more stable framerate
Comparing it to one year old XB is not fair. Base PS4 and XBone is what we are upgrading from.
Its fair because next gen will be targeting 4k not 1080p
Which are those most graphics intensive games?
AAA games tend to be dynamic 4k on the x
x2 and x3 the respective mid gen refreshes is not anemic
It is if they target 4k, for 1440p its fine
Let's go with multiplat Metro: Exodus then. Runs native 4k/30fps on RX 580 equivalent and Jaguar cpu. I bet that they could push quite a bit more frames with just a better CPU alone.
False, the xboneS is the best performing version, the game is GPU bound and should have been dynamic 4k on the X to maintain a locked 30fps
It's much more than previous gen. It's would roughly be x8 over PS4 in gpu department, x4 in cpu.
False, the PS4 GPU FP jump was bigger without even taking into account architecture improvements old terascale->gcn, which was just as big if not bigger than the gnc->rdna jump
Not to mention the rez jump is much bigger this time if the target is native 4k
Did you see Halo teaser? Where was your super duper next gen looking ultra visuals?
Flawed logic
How can i tell the graphics from a cutscene trailer?
Crossgen won't be as impressive a next gen exclusive
So what exactly he said that doesn't align with what Phil said?
Did i say phill was wrong? ;)
How it is given?
9TF is anemic to push mostly 4k next gen games, its better suited for a 1440p-1800p box
If MS intends the next box to stay as close to the 4k mark as possible it'll be 11TF min, let alone if the intention is to push higher fps

Last edited:
Flawed logic
You are funny, if you think that MS lowballed Halo next gen trailer for cross gen rather than impress people to sell more units for a full capacity graphics you are wrong, every game shown at E3 comes with a downgrade, so you telling us MS wont go hard ? 🤔

bitbydeath

You are funny, if you think that MS lowballed Halo next gen trailer for cross gen rather than impress people to sell more units for a full capacity graphics you are wrong, every game shown at E3 comes with a downgrade, so you telling us MS wont go hard ? 🤔

It looked like MS were pushing for it to be 60FPS on Xbox One which is why it looked the way it did.

BUT resolution won’t be the only graphic driver next-gen. Maybe they low-balled it graphically but are planning on using Ray-Tracing as the major differentiator.

It looked like MS were pushing for it to be 60FPS on Xbox One which is why it looked the way it did.

BUT resolution won’t be the only graphic driver next-gen. Maybe they low-balled it graphically but are planning on using Ray-Tracing as the major differentiator.
Thats how 4k games will run at 60 (native) can be better if they use CAS.
If that was the case they would already made the trailer with RT, remember RT with 1080p not 4k.

SonGoku

Don't put words in my mouth, my points are:
  1. How can you tell graphics from a cutscene trailer?
  2. Next gen exclusives will always be more impressive than crossgen games

Don't put words in my mouth, my points are:
  1. How can you tell graphics from a cutscene trailer?
  2. Next gen exclusives will always be more impressive than crossgen games
My point is that companies always lie, specially at E3, you need to check history pal.
The RT hardware isn’t out til next year remember.
I do remember, what i said is that the trailer they showed was native 4k, if they wanted to put a RT trailer it would be 1080p, you must know that MS & SONY already got RT samples if they gonna put it on the box, you can say that for other studios but 343 is MS.

bitbydeath

I do remember, what i said is that the trailer they showed was native 4k, if they wanted to put a RT trailer it would be 1080p, you must know that MS & SONY already got RT samples if they gonna put it on the box, you can say that for other studios but 343 is MS

Nah, they could probably reach or at the very least get close to native 8K in its current state. 4K and RT will be possible.

Edit: Keep in mind this is being made for X1 @ 1.2TF. X1X would be 4K or close to it native.

Last edited:
I’ve been following this thread closely and all speculation around. And all I can say is that the PS5 almost certainly will have a 56 CU NAVI GPU clocked at 2.0 ghz.

This align with older leaks talking about power ranging from 12 to 14 tf. one even talked about it being not decided at that time ( I think that was Sony and AMD still pushing the clocks of Gonzalo - 1.8 ghz and now I think final clock at 2.0 ghz per Oberon leak). This and Reiner/ Collin information about ps5 being stronger than scarlet further corroborate my assumption.

If you pay attention all the information is already in the open. Just look at it free from bias regarding plataform preferences and prior information regarding what should be or not be possible doing regarding console engineering.

I think next gen dev kits surprised many developers. It will surprise us also.

I will say no more and time will vindicate me.

Cheers

Fake

Well...hey good luck.
Some Xbox One X games are native 4K, so I don't get what're saying. Besides, 8K not necessary means 'native 8k'.
As recent 4k games, can be archieve by checkerboard rendering, temporal injection, temporal scaling or dynamic resolution. Even next gen could create a even more modern way to archieve 8k without wasting so much resources.
Just follow Rich Let from Digital Foundry. 'Never' compare consoles to PCs. Optimization on consoles are far ahead from pc because of low level acess API.

Last edited:
Some Xbox One X games are native 4K, so I don't get what're saying. Besides, 8K not necessary means 'native 8k'.
As recent 4k games, can be archieve by checkerboard rendering, temporal injection, temporal scaling or dynamic resolution. Even next gen could create a even more modern way to archieve 8k without wasting so much resources.
Just follow Rich Let from Digital Foundry. 'Never' compare consoles to PCs. Optimization on consoles are far ahead from pc because of low level acess API.
I don't know about you but my expectations are far from 2Ghz, 14Tf+ ( i don't know lately we broke some CU and clock records).
and yes i already said CAS.
X2 - 8K native or close (without RT)
the level of details 8k gonna offer gonna be very dry :messenger_grinning:.
The point is that instead of shooting for 8K they could use that remaining power for RT.
so wich is it ? native 8k or RT ?
Do you really think the next Xbox will be more or less on par with the X1X?
at least 2X onex GPU.
this 1440p 30fps looks feasible on next gen.

bitbydeath

the level of details 8k gonna offer gonna be very dry :messenger_grinning:.

Well it’s already confirmed to be coming to the X1S.

so wich is it ? native 8k or RT ?

RT would be more impressive than a resolution boost.
at least 2X onex GPU.
this 1440p 30fps looks feasible on next gen.

So less resolution than current gens offering?

It would certainly subvert expectations Game of Thrones style if they pull out a machine that can’t meet current standards.

Did you see Halo teaser? Where was your super duper next gen looking ultra visuals? Honestly it looked no better or even worse than some of the best looking games from this gen. I think you overestimate the graphics leap. Too many tech demos in your imagination.
Flawed logic
What i said is that they must showed the best of what 4k 60fps can offer on next gen because companies always do that at E3.
Well it’s already confirmed to be coming to the X1S.
? Halo ? Yes so...
RT would be more impressive than a resolution boost.
So no native 8k then.
So less resolution than current gens offering?

It would certainly subvert expectations Game of Thrones style if they pull out a machine that can’t meet current standards.
Nooooo, i mean you can play a game on the same amount of details at 1440p 30fps (details are amazing), of course we gonna get 1080p, 1440p, 4k, and sahara 8k.

bitbydeath

? Halo ? Yes so...

So the details were already limited.

So no native 8k then.

Maybe they will make it an option of choosing one or the other. RT if done right would show a true generational difference though.

Nooooo, i mean you can play a game on the same amount of details at 1440p 30fps (details are amazing), of course we gonna get 1080p, 1440p, 4k, and sahara 8k.

OK, details should be the same across systems. Res, framerate, loading and RT should be the main differentiators between gens.

So the details were already limited.
it's a next gen console + game by MS at E3, best believe they delivered all they could on that trailer 4k 60fps.
Maybe they will make it an option of choosing one or the other. RT if done right would show a true generational difference though.
either you dedicate some hardware for RT or you don't.
OK, details should be the same across systems. Res, framerate, loading and RT should be the main differentiators between gens.
i don't get that part because i said something else (please explain i didnt understood) what i said is that you can play a game like "the heretic" trailer with the same details at 30 fps, if you are talking about next gen difference between x2 & ps5 then yes (secret sauce) can change a lot of things like current gen.

SmokSmog

Navi is 251mm2 in 7nm
N7+ has identical yield rates to N7 and will steadily improve, while also offering a 20% increase to transistor density. There’s also a 10% performance uplift or 15% power efficiency increase. AMD will take advantage of the former in their fourth-gen Ryzen which they’ve confirmed to use TSMC’s 7nm+, while Huawei will most likely take advantage of the latter in their mobile SoC flagships due out in devices at the end of the year.

In theory, custom Navi with 80cus would take around 400mm2 using 7nmEUV
Zen2 chiplet is 72~mm2 with 32mb L3 7nm
PS5 Zen2 with only 8mbl3 on 7nm EUV would be easy >50mm2

This is doable but PS5 would cost no less than 500$ with 100$ loss

Last edited:

bitbydeath

All this 8k talk is so amusing. If there are more than 10 8k games next gen, i'll be very surprised. And even then, they will probably be the odd 2D Indie game, or Maybe a 360/PS3 remaster or something.

You mean native 8K right?
Checkerboarding isn’t as intensive and upscaling costs nothing, even your TV can do it.

it's a next gen console + game by MS at E3, best believe they delivered all they could on that trailer 4k 60fps.

Yes, with it being built in mind for XB1S.

either you dedicate some hardware for RT or you don't.

It’ll be a case by case basis.

i don't get that part because i said something else (please explain i didnt understood) what i said is that you can play a game like "the heretic" trailer with the same details at 30 fps, if you are talking about next gen difference between x2 & ps5 then yes (secret sauce) can change a lot of things like current gen.

Difference between current and next.
Current hitting near 4K obviously puts next-gen over 4K.

Stuart360

You mean native 8K right?
Checkerboarding isn’t as intensive and upscaling costs nothing, even your TV can do it.
But why would devs target 8k wheh barely anyone has 8ktv's. Even by the END of next gen, i doubt 8ktv's will make up more than 10% of the customer base.
Its going to be hard enough hitting 4k next gen while giving a noticeble jump in graphics over this gen (i still believe there will be a lot of next gen games that look like ps4 games at 4k, thats just the price of 4k).
Its like the whole 60fps talk that we always get before a new generation, when in reality 80% of next gen games will still be 30fps, like always.

bitbydeath

But why would devs target 8k wheh barely anyone has 8ktv's. Even by the END of next gen, i doubt 8ktv's will make up more than 10% of the customer base.
Its going to be hard enough hitting 4k next gen while giving a noticeble jump in graphics over this gen (i still believe there will be a lot of next gen games that look like ps4 games at 4k, thats just the price of 4k).
Its like the whole 60fps talk that we always get before a new generation, when in reality 80% of next gen games will still be 30fps, like always.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%

SonGoku

What i said is that they must showed the best of what 4k 60fps can offer on next gen because companies always do that at E3.
and i said:
You can't judge a games visuals from a cutscene trailer and that a crossgen game won't be as impressive as next gen exclusives

Last edited:

CSmath22

Banned
I'll never understand going resolution over frame rate. Although, I guess it makes sense when your CPU is the weakest part.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
RDR2 is 100GB with 1080p textures (not even XB1X has a 4K texture pack).

8K is just a pipedream IMHO, especially with digital games and SSDs becoming the norm.

Exentryk

A Unity Principal Engineer says next-gen GPUs are 4x Xbox One X's GPU.

Maybe he was confused from the recent article about 4x CPU power rather than GPU.

Last edited:
According to IGN, a 2080TI isn't able to do Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 60fps in 4k:

But the PS4 Pro is able to do the same game at 30fps in 4K (reduced settings, of course), so 4k @ 60fps on a PS5 shouldn't be out of the question.

ANIMAL1975

There are no GCN or RDNA Tflops. Floating point operations per second, are what they are, no matter the architecture! A measure unit.
So if the initial devkits where really Vega and their target specs where X or Y Tflops, why would that change with Navi devkits when it's even easier to get there? 🤔😊

Edit: iu welcome

Last edited:

llien

There are no GCN or RDNA Tflops. Floating point operations per second, are what they are, no matter the architecture!
No shit, Watson.

But we are measuring/assessint GRAPHIC POWER of the GPU, not it's computational capabilities, in TFlops.
So when one says "I expect it to be X tflops", to translate it into graphics performance, one needs to know, if it is Vega or Navi that one is referencing.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

No shit, Watson.

But we are measuring/assessint GRAPHIC POWER of the GPU, not it's computational capabilities, in TFlops.
So when one says "I expect it to be X tflops", to translate it into graphics performance, one needs to know, if it is Vega or Navi that one is referencing.
That's not what I'm talking about Sherlock,
I'm talking about the theories that, because Navi is getting better performance with the same Tflops in Vega devkits, the engineers that planed the intire next generation machines with that computational specs in mind, will now downball them because.... are getting better graphics performance 🤪
... So no, it wasn't a response or an attack at your previous post, or i would have quoted you.

xool

A Unity Principal Engineer says next-gen GPUs are 4x Xbox One X's GPU.

Maybe he was confused from the recent article about 4x CPU power rather than GPU.

4idUyDP.png

MS marketing. Nothing to see here.

Bani

and i said:
You can't judge a games visuals from a cutscene trailer and that a crossgen game won't be as impressive as next gen exclusives
Halo Infinite is Gameplay treiler and that graphics represent game on what console we dont know,next gen or curent gen,we will se

MadAnon

Its fair because next gen will be targeting 4k not 1080p

So which is it? PS4 and XBO is the baseline comparison or mid-gen refreshes? It seems like you jump from one to other, whichever suits your narrative. The gen started with 1080p target and mid-gen refreshes targeted 4k. You were shown an article where Phil himself says that 4k was the target of XBX and now they will focus on other areas. But you keep with your "The power equal to 2 XBXs is not enough for next gen 4k, they need 11TF Navi!!!"
Besides we don't know if 4k native and 60fps will even be the standart for next gen. It could still be 4k native/dynamic res and 30/60 fps.

AAA games tend to be dynamic 4k on the x

If you can so confidently say that they tend to be dynamic you have several examples you know of that show this tendency. There are games which use dynamic res but they are not majority especially the ones with 30fps target.

False, the PS4 GPU FP jump was bigger without even taking into account architecture improvements old terascale->gcn, which was just as big if not bigger than the gnc->rdna jump
Not to mention the rez jump is much bigger this time if the target is native 4k

I wasn't talking about PS3 to PS4 jump. I was talking PS4 to PS5 according to data what komachi has shared. And you keep mid gen refreshes as your reference point for current gen and pretend it's the right way to compare gen to gen performance improvements which is wrong on so many levels. But keep pretending it's all good.

And comparing gen to gen performance leaps isn't fair either because Moor's law is slowing down while costs are going up so expecting same performance leaps from gen to gen is also completley wrong.

Flawed logic

You can't tell graphics from a trailer but you know what the next gen graphics will look like and that they will need 11TF Navi to reach their next gen 4k. Yeah, ok.

I realised that discussions with you are futile. You base everything off your assumption that next gen 4k needs 11TF Navi although you don't have any solid basis for this assumption. So yeah, I'm done here.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Exept that it was GCN at the time.

I think there might be some truth in these double digit TF rumors and GCN based devkits. They basically gave out devkits with something like vega 64 in it and that's why these double digit TF rumors exist when in reality it's the performance target and overclocked 5700 or 5700xt basically provide this target.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom