• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Not a next gen rumor per se, but interesting that Lisa mentions an Infinity Fabric connection for CPUs to connect to GPUs, for external busses (dedicated GPUs) rather than APUs like Raven Ridge. 8:30. Likely talking about accelerators like MI60, but that's practically the same chip as VII, and tech trickles down.

I always liked the idea of moving back to two chips for the higher total TDP that allows, the main reason to join them was the unified memory and you can still keep that and keep a low latency, high bandwidth bus between them at the same time now.

Last edited:

Fake

4idUyDP.png

MS marketing. Nothing to see here.
Its probably compared with base Xbox One, so of course is MS PR BS.

Its probably compared with base Xbox One, so of course is MS PR BS.
No, just people on the internet talking about stuff they do not know the details about and spreading bullshit.
And you guys do it, too.

Scarlett is 4x more powerful than Xbox One X, but that is not the GPU.
It's an arbitrary metric that takes everything into account.
And that was officially communicated from Microsoft.

Can't believe people are still falling for that out of context "x4 more processing power than XBX" marketing BS. Phil already clarified it was about CPU processing power.
Even if he didn't clarifie, people should know that theoricly he can say this is 4x of this since he didnt specified anything, its the essence of marketing B to the efin S, specially big companies.

Mass Shift

Can't believe people are still falling for that out of context "x4 more processing power than XBX" marketing BS. Phil already clarified it was about CPU processing power.

It shouldn't be that surprising. Lots of of pie in the sky going on these days.

44a28543-8b97-4cd7-bc86-91881e6e70b5.jpg

Last edited:

Darius87

PS5 is gonna be 5700 or 5700XT on steroids with RDNA2 features, spec must be locked down, so it can't possibly be based on upcoming RDNA2 cards, so between 9 and 10.2 Tflops if 2ghz rumor is true.

For PR/marketing purposes Xbox Scarlett at least has to reach at least 12 TFLOPS so they can say "double the TFLOPS from previous generation" in the same way PS4 vanilla had 8GB of GDDR5 RAM so that less tech savvy people wont say "Well Xbox One has 8 GIGS of RAM and PS4 only has 4 GIGS of RAM" not knowing the difference between GDDR5 and DDR3. Also saying that "less RDNA TFLOPS is superior to more GCN TFLOPS" will have no affect or impression on less tech savvy people who just dont want to be bogged down to technical nerd mumbo jumbo. Besides the technical hurdles in engineering the new consoles, both Sony and Microsoft have PR/Marketing hurdles to overcome.

Last edited:
For PR/marketing purposes Xbox Scarlett at least has to reach at least 12 TFLOPS so they can say "double the TFLOPS from previous generation" in the same way PS4 vanilla had 8GB of GDDR5 RAM so that less tech savvy people wont say "Well Xbox One has 8 GIGS of RAM and PS4 only has 4 GIGS of RAM" not knowing the difference between GDDR5 and DDR3. Also saying that "less RDNA TFLOPS is superior to more GCN TFLOPS" will have no affect or impression on less tech savvy people who just dont want to be bogged down to technical nerd mumbo jumbo. Besides the technical hurdles in engineering the new consoles, both Sony and Microsoft have PR/Marketing hurdles to overcome.
Both companies will have to explain the same thing, so it's a wash at that point. If one company has 9.1 and the other 9.25, Xbox can say 2x the power but Sony can say 3 x the power. Unless Microsoft pulls a fast one and compares it to the Xbox One S. Then that's a better number than Sony by a small margin.

Xbox Scarlet @ 12TF GCN would be 10 x the power of the Xbox One S.
Playstation 5 @ 12TF GCN would be 6.5 x the power of the Playstation 4.

however

Xbox Scarlet @ 12TF GCN would be 2 x the power of the Xbox One X.
Playstation 5 @ 12TF GCN would be 3 x the power of the Playstation 4 Pro.

But that would mean the new consoles would have to be floating somewhere around 9.5-10TF RDNA.

Last edited:
But that would mean the new consoles would have to be floating somewhere around 9.5-10TF RDNA

So how would the average consumer be able to distinguish between RDNA and GCN if you are just going to throw the generic compute metric term "TFLOPS"

Console manufacturers have traditionally put a PR marketing twists/pizazz/spice on computer power:

16-Bits of High Definition graphics!
7.2 Mhz of Blast Processing compared to the slow 3.2Mhz of SNES! Go Sonic!
200,000 Texture Mapped Polygons Per Second!
CD Quality Stereo Audio!
Emotion Engine that expresses real life emotions!
CELL Processor Broadband Engine that is 1% power of the human brain and connects to the internet at blazing speeds!
16.4 Million On Screen Colors!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So how would the average consumer be able to distinguish between RDNA and GCN if you are just going to throw the generic compute metric term "TFLOPS"

This is a great question that I"m sure both MS and Sony's marketing teams and scared by. I bet they'll just use the old GCN Tflop numbers and not use the proper RDNA TFlop numbers. It's the best and most clear way for them to market it to non-IT folks.

This is a great question that I"m sure both MS and Sony's marketing teams and scared by. I bet they'll just use the old GCN Tflop numbers and not use the proper RDNA TFlop numbers. It's the best and most clear way for them to market it to non-IT folks.
Make no sense to throw GCN, they can say for example ...TF RDNA wich is the double the performance of xbox one x or more than double the perf depending on how much they gonna pull.

xool

Leaker was former Sushi-X , and verified on this site before .. looks legit

v3XyK1l.png

IZ68BLc.png

thUiT5j.png

5RU5Nkl.png

Nice hype 9.2TF+

TLZ

Banned
2ghz, definitely more than 9.2tf. My dream still alive :messenger_sunglasses:

Leaker was former Sushi-X , and verified on this site before .. looks legit

v3XyK1l.png

IZ68BLc.png

thUiT5j.png

5RU5Nkl.png

Nice hype 9.2TF+
Someone tell him to come here. We nice people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Make no sense to throw GCN, they can say for example ...TF RDNA wich is the double the performance of xbox one x or more than double the perf depending on how much they gonna pull.

They should make no mention of the Xbox One X. They should ONLY compare it to the Xbox One.

vpance

8TF never made sense unless they were being extremely conservative to hit $399 at a profit and/or wanted to release this year.

9TF doesn't either because at this point we know they'll go EUV or N7P to hit 2GHz, which would be an incredible waste of time to delay to 2020, just to gain 1TF? Everything would still be 1440p anyways.

Last edited:
Hey SpinningBirdKick SpinningBirdKick how does it feel to keep getting banned on Era? Must feel good. That place sucks anyways. LoL

People are far more sensitive to things than me, even when I'm trying to be on my best behaviour.

Kiwifarms has some interesting analytics in chart form on the bans etc.

Their ban count is climbing incredibly quickly and unique visits are trending down. I'm sure that should set alarm bells ringing somewhere unless the intention is to run things into the ground.

The absolute best thing about gaf is how threads are given room to breathe and sometimes take incredible turns into something memorable. There's far less chance of that happening in other forums.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I was banned over there for admitting to being a Trump supporter and my message said for promoting bigotry :)

I was banned over there bcus some dude was being pompous and condescending and I told him about himself but I guess he was part of the cool crew and I got banned two weeks lol 😂😂 Seems like the assholes tht use to be super moderator dicks here went there during the exodus and are doing same shit thy use to do here. Gaf is a better place now imo since then, by far.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was banned over there bcus some dude was being pompous and condescending and I told him about himself but I guess he was part of the cool crew and I got banned two weeks lol 😂😂 Seems like the assholes tht use to be super moderator dicks here went there during the exodus and are doing same shit thy use to do here. Gaf is a better place now imo since then, by far.

My ban was permanent so yeah they are power hungry.

rəddəM

Considering the End of 2020 landscape it's pretty reasonable to assume PS5 will be a U$ 500,00 12 RDNA TF box.
More than enough for non Ray Traced 2021 games at 4K60FPS.
The question is, how much Ray Tracing can you squeeze in that U$500,00 price point?

Mass Shift

Am I the only one who thinks it makes no goddamn sense 2Ghz for a console GPU or even APU?

Nope.

But it doesn't make sense to see a 2GHz clock and think that we're getting a GPU that's compute unit heavy either.

That's what it's been like in here. It's like drinking and driving. People know better, but they do it anyway.

vpance

Am I the only one who thinks it makes no goddamn sense 2Ghz for a console GPU or even APU?

It does make sense now that we know the consoles are probably going to be 10-11TF minimum, which means they likely went 7nm+ which raises the clock-to-watts curve by 10%.

It also means they chose to put more budget into the cooling and PSU rather than going with a much bigger APU + slower clocks.

Last edited:

SonGoku

That's one strange argument.
The X is the standard baseline to run current gen games at 4K or its approximates
If next gen games target native 4k they'll need significantly more GPU resources to demonstrate a visual leap that comes with next gen.
So which is it? PS4 and XBO is the baseline comparison or mid-gen refreshes? It seems like you jump from one to other, whichever suits your narrative. The gen started with 1080p target and mid-gen refreshes targeted 4k.
Please do show where have i jumped points, I've been pretty consistent with my points, its not my fault if you get lost in the discussion
Phil himself says that 4k was the target of XBX and now they will focus on other areas.
When did i dispute his words? If anything this helps my argument: 4k rendering being a given since the X
I wasn't talking about PS3 to PS4 jump.
It's much more than previous gen.
What jump where you talking then lol? Past gen jumps have been even greater
And you keep mid gen refreshes as your reference point for current gen and pretend it's the right way to compare gen to gen
This is your misinterpretation
  1. The X is the standard baseline to run current gen games at 4K or its approximates, to achieve a next gen leap in visuals at the same target resolution as the X significantly more GPU resources are needed.
  2. Even comparing to base PS4, 9TF is a smaller leap than last->current gen, with a significantly higher resolution jump
And comparing gen to gen performance leaps isn't fair either because Moor's law is slowing down while costs are going up so expecting same performance leaps from gen to gen is also completley wrong.
Im actually expecting a smaller leap
We are nowhere near the limit of current gen as we where last gen in 2013, there's no need to rush consoles, if Sony/MS targeted 2020 is because they are confident they can provide a next gen leap. With 7nm EUV even 12TF is conservative
You can't tell graphics from a trailer but you know what the next gen graphics will look like and that they will need 11TF Navi to reach their next gen 4k. Yeah, ok.
Every gen brings new techniques and effects that take more resources, game requirements skyrocket
The 5700XT can barely run current gen games at 4k and you expect that level of performance to be sufficient for next gen games at 4k... Even AMD advertises it as a 1440p card.
Besides we don't know if 4k native and 60fps will even be the standart for next gen.
You are the one who brought it up, paraphrasing Phills statement: 4K is a done deal that the X already fulfilled, next gen will be faster fps and improved visuals at 4k
That's the main takeaway from the statement you quoted
your assumption that next gen 4k needs 11TF Navi
Actually even with 11TF i fully expect some games to target dynamic 4k, 1800p and maybe even 1080/1440p in extreme cases for graphic intensive games that target 60 fps or use RT heavily

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom